Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 3 Aug 2005, 08:41 (Ref:1370842)   #601
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Be nice to see GL-PK and SRT pool their efforts together and come back in the Fia GT next year with a brace of Corvette's . Maybe even C6R's !!! Its a shame if they leave the championship though ..... magic car
Old 3 Aug 2005, 10:00 (Ref:1370909)   #602
lj79
Veteran

Qatar
lj79 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Was this throughout the race, or just towards the end?

from about 0700 Sunday morning. The #9 Vitaphone car was especially kicking out lots of black stuff
Old 3 Aug 2005, 10:03 (Ref:1370914)   #603
Tom V
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
Tom V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel82
today, GLPK released a press release, i which they stated they are not happy with the way they are treated in FIA-GT (they feel thet are sighted by the judges), and are looking to finish the season in an other series with their corvette (possibly LMES or Belcar)
Would be a shame but I can't blame them. In the press release they mentioned they have had to pass the airbox test a dozen times already, much more than any other team. And more importantly half of the teams that raced at Spa didn't even have a datalogger. Some of those teams don't contest the entire season but were still allowed to score points!
Old 3 Aug 2005, 10:34 (Ref:1370940)   #604
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
the words "FIA" and "unhappy teams" go together so well so many times these days...
Old 3 Aug 2005, 21:54 (Ref:1371430)   #605
panoz.lmp1
Veteran

Germany
Germany
panoz.lmp1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
today, GLPK released a press release, i which they stated they are not happy with the way they are treated in FIA-GT (they feel thet are sighted by the judges), and are looking to finish the season in an other series with their corvette (possibly LMES or Belcar)
Following is the press release of GLPK i received but i can´t found a phrase that they are looking for change of the championship ??

Quote:
After taking fourth position at the chequered flag in the Proximus 24 Hours of Spa (July 30-31), the GLPK Carsport Corvette has been disqualified. The reason for the car being eliminated from the results was that the data transponder system, obligated by FIA-rules, was disconnected. After post-race scrutineering, the team was informed and by Sunday evening, the
GLPK-Carsport car had been removed from the result.

Jorge Segers (Teammanager GLPK-Carsport): “The technical commission of the FIA indeed informed us about the data logger being disconnected. This is a plastic connector that should be on the logger itself. We don’t know the reason why this happened; we could guess that vibrations might have caused it. This system needs very little attention and anyway teams do not have access to the data of the instrument. Except for some visual control, we are not able to check the functioning of this logger. We should also mention that the datalogger worked perfectly during practice and qualifying and that only race data could not be recorded.”

Earlier this season, the team already received a warning on driving without data logger, which of course influenced the stewards’ decision. Jorge
Segers: “It a strange situation. In Monza, we did not have a data logger as the company responsible for placing the systems on the car ran short of time. Only after second qualifying there was the system installed. The team got a warning for this but one can easily understand that we are not responsible for this.

“This disqualification is very painful. Since the beginning of the season we have the feeling that sruteneering is more severe for us than for the other teams. During the Spa 24 hours, there was a race steward at every pitstop timing our stops. They even opened our refueling installation.
After our victory at Imola, every detail of the car has been checked and rechecked. Our airbox on the engine suffers from being checked too many times by the FIA... We feel like they tried to find something and finally they did.

“The team feels really bad about this happening. All the work of the technical crew, the strong performance of the drivers and investments done for this very important race are reduced to zero by this decision. This is really a shame. We have nothing to hide and this whole situation has nothing to do with cheating. Something went wrong and now we’ve paid the price for it.”
Old 3 Aug 2005, 22:13 (Ref:1371447)   #606
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yes, I got it from a dutch language press release, posted on pitstop.tv:

Quote:
Toen de wagen nog steeds in het gesloten wagenpark stond en werd vastgesteld dat de FIA datalogger niet had gewerkt, hebben wij voorgesteld aan de FIA om onze volledige data ter beschikking te stellen. Wij werken met een datasysteem dat nog veel meer info biedt dan de meetinstrumenten geplaatst door de FIA.. Men wilde hiervan echter geen gebruik maken.

De FIA datalogger heeft tot doel de prestaties van de wagens met elkaar te kunnen vergelijken op basis van de gemeten waarden (en zo de gelijkheid tussen de wagens voor de toekomst trachten te behouden). Deze gegevens zeggen weinig over de conformiteit van een wagen. De airbox test waarmee men kijkt of een wagen al dan niet conform is hebben wij na de 24U van Spa zonder enig probleem doorstaan. Deze test, die bij de meeste teams eens sporadisch gedaan wordt, hebben wij dit jaar al een keer of 15 moeten doorvoeren en nooit hebben wij deze gefaald.

Ten tweede is er nog het feit dat ongeveer de helft van de wagens aan de start van de 24U van Spa Francorchamps niet beschikte over een FIA datalogger. Het gaat hier om de wagens die niet aan het volledig kampioenschap deelnemen en sommige hiervan wel punten konden scoren voor het kampioenschap.

GLPK Carsport beschikte voor deze wedstrijd over een zeer goede reputatie en wij betreuren het ten stelligste dat wij dergelijke mate geviseerd worden door enkele individuen.

Blijkbaar wordt onze aanwezigheid in het kampioenschap door sommigen niet geapprecieerd en wij gaan daarom met onze partners de mogelijkheid bekijken om voor het verdere seizoen in een ander kampioenschap te betwisten.

Wij geven toe dat door een menselijke fout de datalogger deze keer niet aangesloten was tijdens de race. Maar de datalogger was dus wel aangesloten tor en met de warm-up. Dit betekent dat tijdens de kwalificaties etc de data wel ter beschikking was. Wij wijzen er nog eens op dat voor Monza (de eerste race van het seizoen) ons geen enkele fout trof want de toestellen waren ons toen nog niet ter beschikking gesteld. Het feit dat er in sommige persberichten gesuggereerd wordt dat wij ooit een vermaning hebben gehad is dus helemaal niet aan de orde, daar wij alle wedstrijden met de FIA datalogger hebben gereden. Een eenvoudige controle door de FIA voor de start zoals dit ook steeds gebeurd in de ALMS had alle problemen kunnen vermijden. Hiermee willen wij de fout niet van ons afschuiven, maar iedereen moet in dit geval zijn verantwoordelijkheid nemen en niet alles naar één kant schuiven. Wij hebben immers niet de mogelijkheid om te kunnen controleren of de FIA datalogger al dan niet functioneel is.
the bold, literally translated into English:
Apparently, our presence in the championship is not appreciated by some, and that's why we and our partners will look at the possibility to compete in an other championship for the rest of season.
Old 3 Aug 2005, 22:25 (Ref:1371458)   #607
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by lj79
from about 0700 Sunday morning. The #9 Vitaphone car was especially kicking out lots of black stuff
Many thanks for clarification.
Old 4 Aug 2005, 06:17 (Ref:1371635)   #608
panoz.lmp1
Veteran

Germany
Germany
panoz.lmp1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
yes, I got it from a dutch language press release, posted on pitstop.tv:

the bold, literally translated into English:
Apparently, our presence in the championship is not appreciated by some, and that's why we and our partners will look at the possibility to compete in an other championship for the rest of season.
Interesting that there are two different versions ... did they hope thjat no one at the FIA can read dutch
Old 4 Aug 2005, 10:41 (Ref:1371789)   #609
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
On the Belgian De Paddock forum the teammanager of GLPK-Carsport has posted the letter which they have sended to FIA, see this topic.
Old 4 Aug 2005, 12:15 (Ref:1371859)   #610
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
On the Belgian De Paddock forum the teammanager of GLPK-Carsport has posted the letter which they have sended to FIA, see this topic.
A direct link to the letter: http://forum.depaddock.net/showpost....7&postcount=49
Old 4 Aug 2005, 12:38 (Ref:1371889)   #611
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can see GPLK's point, and understand why they feel they are being victimised. It is odd if as GPLK say that several cars in the GT1 class were not carrying data loggers although I would like to know if this is 100% true. If it is IMO then it does raise serious questions as to why GPLK seem to be attracting the attention of the race officials this year, when apparntly other cars in the championship dont seem to as much.

That said, rules are rules. Yes it is unfortunate that the data logger wasnt connected and the team were caught out, and yes it was probably just a innocent mistake but the officials were just doing their job. Whether or not GPLK is being victimised or not over other entrants in the championship IMO is speculation, at least until I see proof one way or another that the GPLK team has been investigated more than other teams in the championship.
Old 4 Aug 2005, 13:13 (Ref:1371927)   #612
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Was this throughout the race, or just towards the end?
They were almost the only ones with glowing brakes (also the Astons) into the Bus Stop at abot 8PM already, I was also doubtful about them making it but my abilities as Cassandra are (as usual) below zero.

Old 4 Aug 2005, 18:41 (Ref:1372208)   #613
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by brielga
I was also doubtful about them making it but my abilities as Cassandra are (as usual) below zero.
You're not alone there!
Old 5 Aug 2005, 06:38 (Ref:1372574)   #614
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i guess i'm the better witch

regarding GPLK .. they had a data logger but it wasn't connected .. how about the others?? . from what i understand they didn't even carry them . so it's not the same thing .. GPLK did broke the rules . the others didn't . it's a shame . but again rules are rules .

Ciao Marco
Old 5 Aug 2005, 08:41 (Ref:1372643)   #615
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani Filth
regarding GPLK .. they had a data logger but it wasn't connected .. how about the others?? . from what i understand they didn't even carry them . so it's not the same thing .. GPLK did broke the rules . the others didn't . it's a shame . but again rules are rules .
But the punishment is very hard. Total disqualification in the most important race of the year and in own country.
Old 5 Aug 2005, 09:05 (Ref:1372665)   #616
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
it might be .. what other kind of punishment would have been possible ???

Ciao Marco
Old 5 Aug 2005, 12:17 (Ref:1372831)   #617
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani Filth
it might be .. what other kind of punishment would have been possible ???
Let them score half points?
Old 5 Aug 2005, 18:43 (Ref:1373178)   #618
EliseGT1
Racer

EliseGT1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really really wonder what kind of discussion we would have had here when they were not disqualified, even if everybody knew their datalogger wasn't connected. I bet the fans of the cars behind 4th finish position would have protested....

I very much like the corvette and especially the effort of GLPK, but if regulations tell you to have a connected datalogger, just be sure you keep it connected. If it already was an issue before, you should pay extra attention to it.

The reaction of GLPK is understandable, but they state something like "it's not my datalogger, so I don't really have to care about if it's connected or not"...... As a team you stay responsible for every bit of the car, including that part.

Too bad this happened. It was a very good result by GLPK and I admire them for that.

Maybe the FIA should provide each team with a large roll of duct tape...
Old 9 Aug 2005, 14:04 (Ref:1375851)   #619
oliviers
Rookie

oliviers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sorry I did not follow the entire story.
Anyway, I updated my site with the pictures I had a chance to shoot there on Sunday.
Just wanna share them with you.

Old 9 Aug 2005, 14:06 (Ref:1375853)   #620
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
They are really nice pictures , especially the Saleen ..... thanks