Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 8 Jan 2008, 15:39 (Ref:2101925)   #1
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GT2 ALMS Lexus IS-F

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9080108....le-mans-series

1) 4dr cars are only legal under IMSA ALMS rules aren't they. IIRC ACO only allow 2dr cars.
2) It looks like something out of Need for Speed rather than a proper racing car.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 8 Jan 2008, 15:57 (Ref:2101937)   #2
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is correct. IMSA will alow 4 door sedans into GT2.

Good Looking car
Old 8 Jan 2008, 16:18 (Ref:2101951)   #3
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like an M3 GT2 with 4 doors! Oh my, imagine the debates this will stirr compared to that one...
Old 8 Jan 2008, 16:27 (Ref:2101962)   #4
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
ThePenguin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't get your hopes too high, because some reports say that it will be racing in DTM, and not ALMS GT2.
Old 8 Jan 2008, 16:35 (Ref:2101973)   #5
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenguin
Don't get your hopes too high, because some reports say that it will be racing in DTM, and not ALMS GT2.
that article clearly states it wont be compeating in DTM.
Quote:
This Friday at the Tokyo Auto Salon Lexus will pull the covers off their latest IS race car. The IS 350 GT2 is powered by a 470+ hp V6 engine and will compete in the American GT2 LeMans Series and not in the German DTM series as many had hoped here in Europe.
Old 8 Jan 2008, 16:38 (Ref:2101977)   #6
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
ThePenguin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yea, I have seen that, but until it is actually on the grid, I won't have my hopes up.
Old 8 Jan 2008, 16:42 (Ref:2101982)   #7
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Errrm, isn't that the stillborn Team Lexus car from a few years ago?
Old 8 Jan 2008, 16:51 (Ref:2101987)   #8
mariantic
Racer

Scotland
Scotland
mariantic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmariantic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King
It is indeed. But check the other link - this one:-

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9080104....kyo-auto-salon

Interesting?

Mariantic
Old 8 Jan 2008, 16:52 (Ref:2101990)   #9
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King
While sharing a lot of people's healthy skepticism about this the article does at least refer to the stillborn 2006 project, which indicates to me that this is a different initiative.

Will believe it when it's on a grid somewhere, but at least it's a positive good news story.
Old 8 Jan 2008, 16:56 (Ref:2101996)   #10
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The car pictured is the Team Lexus car from '06... the article states that Lexus is set to announce a ALMS program with the IS-F on Friday at the Tokyo Auto Show. I'll remain cautious on this because the article also states the car will compete with a V6 (as in the IS350), when the IS-F has a V8.
Old 8 Jan 2008, 17:13 (Ref:2102007)   #11
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
The orange Team Lexus car is the same as the ALMS GT2 S2 project of 2 years ago.

On the Japanese Lexus site there's a picture of the Lexus IS F Racing Concept:
http://lexus.jp/brand/event/autosalon2008 (click on enter)

This black car looks like a DTM car and not as the Team Lexus GT2 car.

I don't believe the ALMS story.
Old 8 Jan 2008, 18:31 (Ref:2102056)   #12
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As with all things "new team" related this time of year, I remain open minded and sceptical at the same time. Until it turns a wheel in anger. Then I believe!
Old 8 Jan 2008, 18:42 (Ref:2102061)   #13
Hammerdown
Racer

United Kingdom
Clevedon, UK
Hammerdown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, the bodywork on the black car certainly looks more DTM than GT2 imo.
Old 8 Jan 2008, 21:02 (Ref:2102146)   #14
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That first link even mentions Sebring on March 15-18. That was the 2006 race.

They also mention stiff competition of the Panoz Esperante and BMW M3(!!!)...lots of rumours based on a 2005/2006 plan, no one seems to have any proof of Lexus' plans with that new car.
Old 9 Jan 2008, 00:22 (Ref:2102261)   #15
Zytek_Fan
Racer

United States
Zytek_Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Lexus plans were abandoned.

There was some grumble that Lexus might try a SC430...or could that American V8 in the Zulltec LMP1 actually be a Lexus? :O
Old 9 Jan 2008, 00:26 (Ref:2102264)   #16
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That black car IS DTM and not GT2 - that aero would not be legal. But it also looks a like a road car with AMG merc bits photoshopped on.

I would not be at all suprised to see Lexus go head to head with Acura
Old 9 Jan 2008, 00:31 (Ref:2102267)   #17
Zytek_Fan
Racer

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins

I would not be at all suprised to see Lexus go head to head with Acura
At this point that is what makes the most sense to me. When they said American V8 it could have meant American style V8...
Old 9 Jan 2008, 00:34 (Ref:2102269)   #18
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I find it highly unlikely that they will be anything to do with Zulltec. But where you find Honda - you tend to find Toyota - look elsewhere
Old 9 Jan 2008, 00:43 (Ref:2102270)   #19
Zytek_Fan
Racer

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
I find it highly unlikely that they will be anything to do with Zulltec. But where you find Honda - you tend to find Toyota - look elsewhere
No way of telling of if Toyota would want LMP2 or LMP1, but I'm sure Toyota would want to go for overall wins.

Here's my list of speculative possible chassis combinations for Lexus:
I'm going to immediately rule out Courage. I believe Toyota would want something different from what Honda is using.
Lola. Consistant strong challengers.
Radical. Not the most popular chassis. Could be stronger with some more development.
Dallara. Chassis could be called a Lexus, but with Dallara's expertise, they have surely been contacted by Toyota if they are serious. (didn't Dallara build the wonderful GT-One's?)
Last pick is Embassy. Unlikely, but the chassis looks promising for an LMP2 effort.

edit: Just thought of another one. Williams could be a possibility. They already have a good partnership in F1, and Williams can build a good sportscar if the BMW LMR was any indication.
Old 9 Jan 2008, 00:44 (Ref:2102271)   #20
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
I doubt Toyota would look at LMP2, when Acura is headed to P2 in a year. Might as well go to P1, and get started on facing Acura in a year... might as well do it in Europe to start as well.
Old 9 Jan 2008, 01:42 (Ref:2102285)   #21
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lexus! Toyota! Is this April 1 or is this just Silly Season?

DK
Old 9 Jan 2008, 01:45 (Ref:2102286)   #22
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
Quote:
Dallara. Chassis could be called a Lexus, but with Dallara's expertise, they have surely been contacted by Toyota if they are serious. (didn't Dallara build the wonderful GT-One's?)
Dallara not allowed to.

It is silly season (Don't forget Lexus is Toyota) and cars are over due
Old 9 Jan 2008, 13:28 (Ref:2102571)   #23
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan
At this point that is what makes the most sense to me. When they said American V8 it could have meant American style V8...
TRD designed and built V8?

for LMP, what about a Dom chassis? are they not built in Japan ??

Last edited by AU N EGL; 9 Jan 2008 at 13:30.
Old 9 Jan 2008, 13:34 (Ref:2102575)   #24
SebringMG
Veteran

United Kingdom
SebringMG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A full blown P1 programme would most likely be run out of Cologne by the F1 team - why subcontract it when your facilites are better and with the current F1 rules you cannot develop your car / engine like you could before ?

Could not see Toyota even using Lola....never Zulltec!!

A GT2 car on the other hand would like be developed by someone other than europe or Japan.........
Old 9 Jan 2008, 13:36 (Ref:2102578)   #25
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan
Just thought of another one. Williams could be a possibility. They already have a good partnership in F1, and Williams can build a good sportscar if the BMW LMR was any indication.
Thats what i would expect if Toyota were to go into sportscars. Have Williams build the chassis and TRD make the drivetrain. There were some rumours a while ago about Toyota testing a prototype lmp with a petrol-electric hybrid drivetrain.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna