Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 26 Jun 2002, 21:36 (Ref:322491)   #1
AKRickMG
Rookie

AKRickMG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best 80's Touring Car??

In my view it was the Rover SD1 Vitesse by far!!!
So good infact i own a Twin Plenum vitsse,very late version of the car,
and it is still a fantastic car to drive,hearing that beefy v8 brings
a smile to anybody's face
Rick.
Team Atomic Kitten are the Best
Old 26 Jun 2002, 21:42 (Ref:322493)   #2
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
RIGHT!!! Now we're talking!

My favourite Vitesse had to have been Denis Leech's black one with the red pinstriping. Sounded like it was howling at the moon, and looked absolutely the business.

But the eighties class-based racing was very special indeed. The Rovers vs the Capris vs the 6-series BMWs made for a great era, with the Celica Supra and the Maserati Biturbo bringing up the rear.

Happy days.
Old 26 Jun 2002, 21:49 (Ref:322503)   #3
AKRickMG
Rookie

AKRickMG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 80's cars were the best,why don't the modern cars sound as good as the 80's cars!!
I also liked the 405Mi16 in the early 90's but i can never remember how good they were??
Rick
Team Atomic Kitten Are the Best
Old 27 Jun 2002, 01:32 (Ref:322575)   #4
Rutle
Rookie

Rutle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about the Sierra RS 500's
Old 27 Jun 2002, 05:38 (Ref:322638)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by TimD
RIGHT!!! Now we're talking!

My favourite Vitesse had to have been Denis Leech's black one with the red pinstriping. Sounded like it was howling at the moon, and looked absolutely the business.

I know the man who owns that now.

Really the SD1 was the car. The Capri was more seventies than eighties. The RS 500 was a brilliant car but in fairness Ford exploited the regs and spent inordinate amounts of money to beat the BMW's. In the end that is what brought about Supertouring.

If you like Touring cars from the Seventies through to the nineties, be at Snetterton on Saturday and Sunday 29/30 June.

*Blatant advertising*

Alternatively catch up with the Formula Saloons. They run cars from ST and DTM etc.
Old 27 Jun 2002, 08:15 (Ref:322694)   #6
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great topic guys, as a proud Australian and Holden fan, I'm gonna have to choose the ultimate Aussie Group A Touring Car, the 1988 Holden VL Commodore SS Group A. 5 litres of Australian V8 engine, proiducing 500hp, with fuel injection and 5 speed and the first truly windtunnel designed Australian car. The road car was also a nice touring car with room for 5 adults.
Old 27 Jun 2002, 08:26 (Ref:322700)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Perhaps unsurprisingly I will have to go for the Jaguar XJS. I remember being at Silverstone to see them all spin off in the rain!

The road car was also a nice touring car with room for 2 adults and 2 very small children who didn't mind being squashed!
Old 27 Jun 2002, 08:38 (Ref:322712)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
Perhaps unsurprisingly I will have to go for the Jaguar XJS. I remember being at Silverstone to see them all spin off in the rain!

The road car was also a nice touring car with room for 2 adults and 2 very small children who didn't mind being squashed!
Well, in the seventies we had the Broadspeed XJ12 Coupes. So powerful they couldn't make the wheels strong enough. Then the XJS' which ran until '83. Both examples were, of course, Group 2. I'm not sure but I don't think they ran in Group A which was the "real" class for the eighties.

However, I've got a pic from Donington '83, Fitzpatrick, Calderari, Brundle winning the 500km in May that year. I remember it pretty well because I don't believe I'd ever been so wet before!!! Will try to post it for you.
Old 27 Jun 2002, 08:48 (Ref:322720)   #9
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett

Then the XJS' which ran until '83. Both examples were, of course, Group 2. I'm not sure but I don't think they ran in Group A which was the "real" class for the eighties.

The XJS was only ever a Group A car (outside Australia anyway...)- it ran in the ETC from the first Gp A season in 82 (the ETC adopted Gp A before Britain did) until 84- and then occasionally at major races in Australia (TWR won Bathurst in 85), NZ & Japan until homologation ran out at the end of 86- (and in fact briefly afterwards- it ran in a couple of races in NZ at the beginning of 87 under a local dispensation a few weeks after homologation expired...)

BTW Peter- good to know that the Dennis Leech Rover is still around- it was always one of my favourites as well....
Old 27 Jun 2002, 08:58 (Ref:322735)   #10
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Great topic!
I will come along to Snett this weekend and say Hi to some of you fellow 10/10thers.
The 60s/70s & 80s cars were far better for spectacular cornering than today's tourers. Rear wheel drive in most cases in those days and BIG V8/straight six noise!
Who can forget the great battles in the 80s between the Rovers, BMWs, XJS, Capris etc. But hey...talking about sideways, James Weaver in the BMW has to be my favourite. Remember 'Weaver's Trench' at Silverstone? So named due to his oversteering 635i dropping its rear wheel off the tarmac each time at Woodcote lap after lap.
Can't wait for Sunday!
Old 27 Jun 2002, 09:11 (Ref:322742)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally posted by KA

The XJS was only ever a Group A car (outside Australia anyway...)- it ran in the ETC from the first Gp A season in 82 (the ETC adopted Gp A before Britain did) until 84- and then occasionally at major races in Australia (TWR won Bathurst in 85), NZ & Japan until homologation ran out at the end of 86- (and in fact briefly afterwards- it ran in a couple of races in NZ at the beginning of 87 under a local dispensation a few weeks after homologation expired...)
I'll have to check back on that. Thanks. The oil cooler position on the rear valance led me to think it was Gp2.

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Kitson

Great topic!
I will come along to Snett this weekend and say Hi to some of you fellow 10/10thers.
The 60s/70s & 80s cars were far better for spectacular cornering than today's tourers. Rear wheel drive in most cases in those days and BIG V8/straight six noise!
Who can forget the great battles in the 80s between the Rovers, BMWs, XJS, Capris etc. But hey...talking about sideways, James Weaver in the BMW has to be my favourite. Remember 'Weaver's Trench' at Silverstone? So named due to his oversteering 635i dropping its rear wheel off the tarmac each time at Woodcote lap after lap.
Can't wait for Sunday!
I well remember "Weaver's Trench". It seemed to me that he was the only driver to get the best out of the 635. We have one of the original cars racing with the CTCRC.

My car is painted as a replica of the 1978-80 Spa 24hrs Spice team Capris.

The tin top action is mostly on Saturday at Snetterton. But do come and say hello if you get the chance. We are entered (reliability permitting) in the 1 hour race which (I believe) closes the weekend on Sunday.
Old 27 Jun 2002, 09:41 (Ref:322770)   #12
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks for that Peter. Unfortunately I can't do the Saturday - have to get some paintings done sometimes! - but will be there Sun.
I have admired your Capri with its Spice colours before. Was it officially the 'Belga' team at the time?
Old 27 Jun 2002, 10:02 (Ref:322778)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
However, I've got a pic from Donington '83, Fitzpatrick, Calderari, Brundle winning the 500km in May that year. I remember it pretty well because I don't believe I'd ever been so wet before!!! Will try to post it for you.
That would get excellent. My memories of these cars racing at the time is sketchy. I was only eight when Walkinshaw won the ETCC. I remember the Bathurst races, back in the days when it used to be shown on telly over here!

I have seen XJ12 Coupes. What a brick! A powerful brick! Great car, albeit unsuccessful.
Old 27 Jun 2002, 10:11 (Ref:322785)   #14
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David Bubb, I gotta agree with you, the mighty Sierra deserves a mention.
Old 27 Jun 2002, 10:30 (Ref:322792)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Kitson
Thanks for that Peter. Unfortunately I can't do the Saturday - have to get some paintings done sometimes! - but will be there Sun.
I have admired your Capri with its Spice colours before. Was it officially the 'Belga' team at the time?
Shame you can't make the Saturday. Yes it was the Belga team livery. I chose it for a number of reasons. First it is a good colour scheme and second, I want to see the reaction when I take it to Spa this year. (Work permitting)and I always admired Gordie Spice.
Old 27 Jun 2002, 12:22 (Ref:322848)   #16
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Best touring car of the '80s?
Gotta be the '85 ETCC Volvo 240 turbo. Just look at my signature!
Old 27 Jun 2002, 17:32 (Ref:322963)   #17
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
The great thing about Touring Car Races back then ( Sorry - let's use the proper word, SALOON) was the class system. You had fights right through the field in 4 classes ( Not just 2 like now). It meant that lapping back markers always came into play during a race. On twisty tracks or in the wet, the smaller often front wheel drive cars stood a chance of a high finish.
Remember these lower class cars? Richard Longman's Mini, Jon Dooley's Alfa, Alan Curnow's Datapost Metro..
While we are at it...how about the diversity of cars in the early 70s Group 1 races - Tony Lanfranchi's class D Moskvitch against Richard Lloyd's class A Camaro!
Old 28 Jun 2002, 10:01 (Ref:323422)   #18
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about the 1987 VL Group A Brock Commodore. The Carby one. It was good enough to win 2 rounds of the World Touring Car Championship at Monza with Allan Moffat & John Harvey and Bathurst with Peter Brock, David Parsons & Peter McLeod. Both cars built by the Holden Dealer Team.

And the Nissan GTS-R Group A the only car to take it up to the Sierra's in the late 80's when Australia had the fastest Sierra's in the World
Old 7 Feb 2005, 07:24 (Ref:1219177)   #19
gab73
Rookie

gab73 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
for me the best sounding and looking gp a touring car was dick johnsons 1985 ford mustang
Old 7 Feb 2005, 10:07 (Ref:1219234)   #20
Chris Griffin
Racer

England
Theale, Berkshire, UK
Chris Griffin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SD1 for me. Not sure why...
Old 7 Feb 2005, 10:12 (Ref:1219237)   #21
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ford Sierra RS500 Cosworth.... won everything worth winning... till Nissan built a better mousetrap
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 7 Feb 2005, 12:53 (Ref:1219347)   #22
stuart05
Racer

England
Southampton
stuart05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Rover SD1 (Jeff Allam and Rex Greenslade in the Triplex cars) is what turned me on to tin-tops in the first place.
I'll never forget Allams Thruxton charge in 1983 - dead last after a first lap spin at the first corner to second behind Peter Lovett.
The other car that really caught my imagination was the Holden Commodore VK. Two ran in the ETCC in 1986. I missed "Brockie" at Donington but saw Alan Grice at Silverstone in the TT.
Best of all, I saw Mike O'Brien win in Grices car in 1987 at Snetterton. The front row was Holden, Rover, Rover. Standing by the startline at a BTCC race has never been quite as appealing since then.
Old 8 Feb 2005, 03:50 (Ref:1219969)   #23
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobson
Best touring car of the '80s?
Gotta be the '85 ETCC Volvo 240 turbo. Just look at my signature!
Whilst chasing Robbie Francevic in the Volvo 240 Turbo Dick Johnson (Sierra), during a TV cross, described the Volvo as 'a block of flats on wheels' - the Volvo won if I remember correctly - great racing!!
Old 8 Feb 2005, 10:20 (Ref:1220199)   #24
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The XJS, closely followed by the Volvo 240T and the 635CSi. I liked the Rovers, bu they were a bit too ubiquitous from seeing them regularly in the BTCC (British Saloon Car Championship!). The green 'works' livery XJS's of '84 were my absolute favourite, but nothing was quite as exciting as Ulf Granberg (sp?) (Swedish train driver by week) 'taking his brain out' for a qualifying lap in a 240T. Magic.
Old 8 Feb 2005, 16:10 (Ref:1220518)   #25
jminsh
Veteran

England
Not far from Oulton Park
jminsh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Masserati bi-turbo was always good for a smoke screen !!