Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 19 Apr 2005, 19:15 (Ref:1282376)   #1
Chris_SLH
Rookie

Chris_SLH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2005 Spa 24 Hours

Was considering going to the Proximus 24 Hour race at Spa this year. Just wondering what people thought of it? Also any info on camping would be appreciated. Looked all over net but can't find anything that relates to non-GP weekends.

Cheers

Chris
Old 19 Apr 2005, 19:18 (Ref:1282380)   #2
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personally I feel it is the best endurance race in the world, cracking event and I plan to make my first trip this year too to Belgium to see the race. U should find everything u need with regards to both camping and hotels etc through to information on the race itself at the races official website. www.proximus24hours.com
Old 19 Apr 2005, 19:42 (Ref:1282409)   #3
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can try this link as well:
http://www.marshalspost.com/circuit/74.html
there is some info on it.
Or:
http://www.spa-francorchamps.be/en/index2.html (Info Tourism button)
Old 19 Apr 2005, 20:13 (Ref:1282450)   #4
mikmx
Racer

Netherlands
rotterdam
mikmx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Spa 24 is awesome, I been there since the first one with Gt's and its really enjoyable. Awesome track, A lot of places to watch the cars good line up. Can't wait!
Old 19 Apr 2005, 21:11 (Ref:1282501)   #5
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I find it hard to believe it used to be a touring car event.... touring cars bores me after half an hour, never mind 24! thank heavens they changed it to GT's
Old 19 Apr 2005, 21:19 (Ref:1282512)   #6
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be there- haven't arranged anything yet- may buy rough guide to Belgium- have got ferry ticket and that's it.
Can't wait- tho' after watching Spa 1000kms may miss prototypes!!
If anyone firms up anything usefulon the subject of tickets or campsites- or even good directions- please PM me.
Also, LM will have cost me an arm and a leg- have relied upon filial largesse hitherto and have to make (sizeable) a contribution!!
Old 20 Apr 2005, 10:07 (Ref:1282842)   #7
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
There's recently been a thread over in Trackside looking especially at how to get to Spa and where to stay once you're over there - you might get some good extra tips over there
Old 20 Apr 2005, 12:30 (Ref:1282941)   #8
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you're only going for the race itself ie arrive on the Saturday leave Sunday night - why not sleep in the car and save yourself some beer money?
Old 20 Apr 2005, 19:30 (Ref:1283279)   #9
Alistair_Ryder
Rookie

Alistair_Ryder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chris, this was my first 24 hour event i went to, and i haven't looked back since, its by far one of the best circuits in the world, just standing at the bottom of eau rouge at 10pm with waffle in hand, watching the cars scream up eau rouge, or sitting on the kemel straight looking down into the valley at a pair of headlights flying through blanchimont on the other side is something special. We've stayed in Liege which is about a 30 minute drive to the circuit, a very nice drive might i add, but it gets tiring returning back there at 2am.
One point is take a good pair of shoes, its well worth exploring the entire 4.5 mile circuit ( yes you can do this , unlike other circuits), oh and an umbrella - it is spa after all.
We got our tickets in Brugge at one of the ING banks ( i think that was it) or you can get them at the circuit no problems. The grandstands cost a bit more but you pay when you get there.
I wouldn't say the atmopshere is like le mans, but then i haven't camped at spa so that might have some atmosphere.
The website for the race is www.proximus24hours.com, but it hasn't been updated yet, might give you an idea of cost
You really should go this year, the line up looks amazing

P.S if you have chance stop off in Brugge on the way down, lovely place!
Old 20 Apr 2005, 21:59 (Ref:1283377)   #10
lj79
Veteran

Qatar
lj79 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and you can get plenty of access to parts of the circuit where the Le Mans stalag fences are a distant memory. Also you dont get the multitude of ******s who descend on La Sarthe each year, and it is true as Alistair Ryder intimates - the scenery is stunning. Dont be downhearted on the journey to the circuit- it is pretty boring if you follow the motorways, but when get the other side of Liege the road rises and falls (and I mean rises and falls) and the scenery opens up.
If the eather is good as it was in 2002 and 2004 there is an amazing firework show too. You can access the paddock and get real close to the teams. THis is how a motor racing weekend should be. Plus, none of the ******** you get with entry selection - we dont have 10 Gillette Vertigos if you understand my meaning at the expense of 550s or Saleens
Old 20 Apr 2005, 22:08 (Ref:1283386)   #11
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How about one of our nice Moderators making this a "Hot topic"? After all, this is a major sportscar race. The best in the world IMO, and 2nd only to LM for a lot of other people. Just a idea...
Old 20 Apr 2005, 22:29 (Ref:1283406)   #12
Chris_SLH
Rookie

Chris_SLH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cheers for all the info. Looking forward to it already! Will make a long weekend of it and sample some of the excellent trappiste fare as well ;-)
Old 21 Apr 2005, 04:00 (Ref:1283523)   #13
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
How about one of our nice Moderators making this a "Hot topic"?
Done.

Last edited by Fab; 21 Apr 2005 at 04:00.
Old 21 Apr 2005, 04:04 (Ref:1283526)   #14
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab
Done.
Thanks Fab.
Old 21 Apr 2005, 05:58 (Ref:1283552)   #15
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_SLH
Cheers for all the info. Looking forward to it already! Will make a long weekend of it and sample some of the excellent trappiste fare as well ;-)
Nothing beats sitting at the Bus Stop at sunrise (about 5am) with a coffee in hand.
http://jgphotos-motorsport.fotopic.net/p6487988.html
http://jgphotos-motorsport.fotopic.net/p6487584.html

The bar area in the centre of the paddock does food and drink from early Saturday to late Sunday, it also makes a great meeting point!
Old 21 Apr 2005, 12:23 (Ref:1283803)   #16
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Anyone got any news on any potential additions to the Spa 24hrs this year other than the regular FIA GT grid? Would be nice to see Scuderia Ecosse, LNT, Eurotech etc amongst others from British GT, anyone from LMES or FFSA or Spanish GT though? Even the SRT C5R once again?
Old 21 Apr 2005, 12:35 (Ref:1283812)   #17
19dodge
Veteran

19dodge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think DDO will run their Saleen, thats what they said last year..
Old 21 Apr 2005, 13:11 (Ref:1283838)   #18
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Let us hope so, the DDO Saleen may not be the fastest S7R out there but it certainly put up a good showing at the Bahrian GT festival last year, would be great to have them at the Spa 24hrs.
Old 21 Apr 2005, 14:19 (Ref:1283872)   #19
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I seem to remember BMW Won't be running the M3 GTR this year, can anyone confirm?
Old 21 Apr 2005, 16:17 (Ref:1283933)   #20
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Think they're running the Nurburgring 24 this year then putting the car to rest. On the topic of BMW, Autosport report that the M6 GTR won't appear until 2008 at the earliest.
Old 21 Apr 2005, 17:59 (Ref:1283989)   #21
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Hmm I thought i heard somewhere that the BMW M3 GTR might appear at this years Spa 24hrs for its final appearnce, once again in the hands of the Schnitzer squad. BMW really didnt like being beaten by Freisinger last year.
Old 21 Apr 2005, 18:32 (Ref:1284009)   #22
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If there are any M3's left by that date....
Old 22 Apr 2005, 10:37 (Ref:1284458)   #23
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If the FIA set a world touring champion ship up, do you think the Spa 24 Hours will come back to its classical format or keep both GTs and touring cars ?
Old 22 Apr 2005, 11:52 (Ref:1284513)   #24
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hope they wont go back to touringcars, and I don't think they will actually. WTCC is really focussed on action-packed sprintraces, a 24H race really doesn't suit that philosophy.
Old 23 Apr 2005, 07:04 (Ref:1284891)   #25
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
Happy Snapper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_SLH
Was considering going to the Proximus 24 Hour race at Spa this year. Just wondering what people thought of it? Also any info on camping would be appreciated. Looked all over net but can't find anything that relates to non-GP weekends.

Cheers

Chris
Its way different to Le Mans in a nice way! There are lots of campsites at the top of Le Source in the village. I go out for the week there is lots of stuff on from Wednesday. Spa 24 is a lot more relaxed than Le Mans the “Brits” take over the bar behind the control tower in the paddock for the weekend, it’s a good event to start your 24’s with…