Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 10 Feb 2006, 06:52 (Ref:1519398)   #1
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Whats Happening At Tasman?

With Tasman, I think that Dodo is staying. If I am wrong, well they have Inner Circle Rum as a title sponsor
Old 10 Feb 2006, 10:09 (Ref:1519493)   #2
billybanana
Veteran

billybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbillybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Barton
With Tasman, I think that Dodo is staying. If I am wrong, well they have Inner Circle Rum as a title sponsor
Was talking to Jason Richards at the motor show tonight. I asked him if Dodo were gone completely and he confirmed they have. Tasman won't have a single naming rights sponsor this season. They're looking at 4/5 different sponsors to suit the market at particular rounds. They've also got themselves a tiger logo and will be pushing the Tasman Tiger thing.

Also had a chat with AJ. He is stoked at joining Tasman. Looking forward to see how he goes.

For all you Ford boys Courtney and Frosty were on the Ford stand. Courtney was relaxed and easy to talk to - a bit different from his predecessor.
Old 10 Feb 2006, 10:43 (Ref:1519512)   #3
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
thats because he dosnt have 500 million ford fans on his back. had numerous chats with marcos both before and after he was a champion. have never had a chat with tom walkinshaw though
Old 10 Feb 2006, 11:22 (Ref:1519542)   #4
Razor
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybanana
Was talking to Jason Richards at the motor show tonight. I asked him if Dodo were gone completely and he confirmed they have. Tasman won't have a single naming rights sponsor this season. They're looking at 4/5 different sponsors to suit the market at particular rounds. They've also got themselves a tiger logo and will be pushing the Tasman Tiger thing.
Can't belive Dodo, one year they go with Dynamik, next they go to Tasman and now with HRT, where's next, WPS? Sad but that how it works in the game.
Old 10 Feb 2006, 12:39 (Ref:1519587)   #5
pete60
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane
pete60 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
They've also got themselves a tiger logo and will be pushing the Tasman Tiger thing.

Err, the "Tasman Tiger" thing? I've heard of the Tasmanian Tiger...maybe they aren't extinct at all...they just swam the Tasman.
Old 10 Feb 2006, 22:04 (Ref:1519959)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Sweet, a new sponsor at every round. They learned something else from Dynamik then
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 11 Feb 2006, 00:35 (Ref:1520059)   #7
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
Sweet, a new sponsor at every round. They learned something else from Dynamik then
It's an interesting scenario. I wonder if Dodo's cheques will start clearing at HRT? Guess it doesn't really matter if they don't as HRT can just invoice income shortfall to Holden.

I wonder which cheque book or books Tasman will roll out now to make up the shortfall in income..... (insert text from Tasman's ownership article in V8X here please, GTR) ..... as money will need to come from somewhere and it seems more likely to come from the orange, black, and white bits of the car rather than the logos of the sponsors it would seem
Old 11 Feb 2006, 07:15 (Ref:1520147)   #8
Razor
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
They did that in 2004 aswell. Wth none, to Fuchs to Inner Circle Rum (from memory)

Last edited by Razor; 11 Feb 2006 at 07:17. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 11 Feb 2006, 22:10 (Ref:1520550)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It!
It's an interesting scenario. I wonder if Dodo's cheques will start clearing at HRT? Guess it doesn't really matter if they don't as HRT can just invoice income shortfall to Holden.
I doubt Dodo has any problems in finding the money to do the promotional work they are doing... the issue sits more around how much maintenance the owner of that business might be for the relative contribution to the team itself.

There are always dozens of Dodo-clad people at each of the rounds, so quite how that fits with the allocation of tickets assigned to the team would be interesting to understand. There are always a shedload of corporates at the HRT box, or in the HRT hospitality room...

... back in the Dynamik or Tasman scenarios, the sponsor was more important to the team than the team was to the sponsor, so I am betting they each bent over backwards to fight off the stress generated from AVESCO about Dodo being in competition to series platform sponsor BigPond... and also that there werent too many other brands aboard those cars, so the ticket fight perhaps wasnt to bad.
Old 12 Feb 2006, 01:57 (Ref:1520653)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Is it prettier without Dodo...

... or with them...

Old 12 Feb 2006, 02:08 (Ref:1520657)   #11
Matt H
Veteran

Matt H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well dodo is "Internet that flys..." perhaps we will see skaife or kelly flying.... ? ?
Old 12 Feb 2006, 02:38 (Ref:1520669)   #12
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
its is australias premium rum.

but here is the real question assuming Inner circle pick upi the sponsorship. If tasman get out on the track first at Clipsal then cant they say "they are the first alcohol brand to sponsor a v8 supercar"
Old 12 Feb 2006, 03:09 (Ref:1520672)   #13
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
GTRMagic, is that a real photo or a Dr GTR Version as Inner Circle Rum werent the keenest to be there. They seem well-known to several teams, but it wasn't a major sponsorship deal when it was announced - $200k on a performance-related deal if I remember rightly.

Having tried the product in the interest of supporting V8 Supercar Series sponsor product, I found that it wasn't too palatable to my tastebuds.

That aside, all may have changed at Independent Liquor with the tragic and monumental loss of Independent Liquor's founder, the late Michael Erceg, who was tragically taken when his Eurocopter dropped from the sky late last year.

I just cannot imagine them stepping up to replace the loss of DODO income at Tasman, and if they did, it certainly wouldn't be with Inner Circle.
Old 12 Feb 2006, 03:27 (Ref:1520677)   #14
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:

Having tried the product in the interest of supporting V8 Supercar Series sponsor product, I found that it wasn't too palatable to my tastebuds.

one cant help bad taste buds i reckon.

i on the other hand find it to be very smooth and consumes quite well. discovered it on the way to clipsal last year, now it is my preferred option, unfortunatly not very common
Old 12 Feb 2006, 04:15 (Ref:1520682)   #15
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Barton
How can you assume Innercircle Rum will just become title sponsor?
Old 12 Feb 2006, 04:50 (Ref:1520686)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
GTRMagic, is that a real photo or a Dr GTR Version as Inner Circle Rum werent the keenest to be there.
The picture is of the Richards/Coulthard VY from 2004 at Bathurst... which became Mr Whincup's chassis for 2005.... no fiddles with the graphics from my end, I am not good enough with the software
Old 12 Feb 2006, 04:59 (Ref:1520687)   #17
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
So DoDo "flies" from Tasman to HRT. That should help the close friendship between Greg and Mark
Old 12 Feb 2006, 05:14 (Ref:1520689)   #18
Razor
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Billy, I have a freindship with one of the HRT drivers. And no it is not Small nose (I have a bigger one than him) it is Todd. Anyway, I think the move Dodo made was a bit unorthadox, from major to little sponsorship. I would like to have my companys name plasted all over the car then just some small sign on the front of the car
Old 12 Feb 2006, 05:17 (Ref:1520690)   #19
Just Do It!
Veteran

Probably your best post ever, Greg. And you are right - blanket coverage beats being lost in the crowd any day mate!
Old 12 Feb 2006, 05:17 (Ref:1520691)   #20
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I was talking about Murphy and Skaife
Old 12 Feb 2006, 05:19 (Ref:1520692)   #21
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
The larger issue at Tasman is the management structure, which is incredibly cumbersome for an operation requiring quick, decisive, informed decisions....

Based on the article in V8X #30 Nov/Dec 2005...

.. Tasman has 7 directors running the show... down from 9...

Mr Miles heads the ship, with Mr Murphy, Mr Harrop, Mr Henderson, Mr Mathias, Mr Stewart and Mr Boult all having a responsibility and input into the process. Mr Ashby and Mr Reed were part of the process in 2005, however their shareholding via the transfer of the L1 franchise licence slots has wound down their involvement as the years go past...

In season 2005 it is not surprising to learn that these people had to dig into their own pockets to keep the motorsport operation afloat. Dodo was the signature sponsor at the well publicised $750k for the season.. while Mr Harrop was quoted during the year at having a budget of $3.5m...

The maths does not compute... presuming Inner Circle is the $200k JDI was talking about, that Fuchs input is as big as their signage might indicate, and the Holden support funded the driver wages, and the franchise licence income was around $300k per car, then this team suffered a budget shortfall of somewhere around the $2m mark... $2m over 9 people is over $200k each... presuming it works that way...

We wander along into season 2006, with Dodo off to HRT (that WILL be fun to watch) and no title sponsor announced or seemingly in the pipeline... noise is around round sponsorship for different brands... which normally isnt a great sign...

In the sad old days of LRT, the thing to suffer when the sponsorship wasnt there, and the Lansvale Smash business did not stump up mega millions to keep it ticking over, the expenditure to be cut was in the engineering side... keeping cars longer than they wanted, not keeping the developments ticking along.. this squad starts the season with the 2004 car and the squished 2005 car.. maybe not the ideal start...

Business partners having to tip money into something like this each season will soon tire of the investment if there isnt a light at the end of the tunnel.... lets hope it doesnt happen like that here..

You never know, they may prove us all wrong and sign a mega sponsor...

... but with the publicised issues in getting the GMR Porsche operation over the line with sponsors and drivers, it makes you wonder how this operation will go...
Old 12 Feb 2006, 08:38 (Ref:1520731)   #22
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bigtime
So DoDo "flies" from Tasman to HRT. That should help the close friendship between Greg and Mark
is this team greg murphys team?

i thought his dad was just apart of the team.

Old 12 Feb 2006, 11:41 (Ref:1520843)   #23
WebberForWDC
Veteran

Australia
Australia
WebberForWDC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would nice if teams didn't run major sponsorship for cut prices, kinda removes the incentive for the next brand to rock up and take the major branding deal at a more sensible $2million or 3million or what-ever doesn't it?????
Old 12 Feb 2006, 21:44 (Ref:1521322)   #24
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah. I would have thought Dodo would see its a bad decision when they saw how much coverage they'd get on the HRT car for what I would assume was the same amount of sponsorship dollars.

Maybe the Dodo boss is an HRT fan.
Old 13 Feb 2006, 04:32 (Ref:1521511)   #25
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar
thats because he dosnt have 500 million ford fans on his back. had numerous chats with marcos both before and after he was a champion. have never had a chat with tom walkinshaw though
Are you suggesting you can compere Tom Walkinshaw & Marcos as race drivers ?