Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 25 Oct 2021, 12:07 (Ref:4079914)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
MRL Silverstone 30/31 October

This weekend rounds the MRL season out with a joint meeting including HRDC. Qualifying and racing both days with the Pall Mall Cup 3hrs closing out the racing on Sunday.
Old 25 Oct 2021, 19:25 (Ref:4079993)   #2
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
The Silverstone website is rubbish at saying what's on, and the HRDC site is even worse........
Old 25 Oct 2021, 19:50 (Ref:4079997)   #3
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
The Silverstone website is rubbish at saying what's on, and the HRDC site is even worse........
The timetable and entry lists are on the MRL website. Not very inspiring
Old 25 Oct 2021, 22:54 (Ref:4080032)   #4
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Crow View Post
The timetable and entry lists are on the MRL website. Not very inspiring
Some big entries for most of the races I found? HTCC, various Sportscars and the Jag challenge all well subscribed.

Shame about the GT40s though. Bit thin.

14 quid to get in, kids free.

I'll have a bowl uv that!
Old 26 Oct 2021, 07:12 (Ref:4080081)   #5
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Some big entries for most of the races I found? HTCC, various Sportscars and the Jag challenge all well subscribed.

Shame about the GT40s though. Bit thin.
An 80 minute race for 7 cars is a bit thin!
Old 26 Oct 2021, 07:21 (Ref:4080084)   #6
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
An 80 minute race for 7 cars is a bit thin!
Indeed, but as I said the other races seem pretty well supported.
Old 26 Oct 2021, 08:14 (Ref:4080094)   #7
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Myself and HRTR5 will be there Sunday morning .James is running his MK5 Elva in 30 minuet race. " in the wet "
Old 26 Oct 2021, 08:17 (Ref:4080096)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'll be there Saturday pm. Entered in the 3hrs so Sunday qually and racing.
Old 26 Oct 2021, 12:29 (Ref:4080140)   #9
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Trying to decide whether to trek back down there again on Sunday, as the Classic Alfa Challenge is running in the All Stars race, constituting over a third of the entry....though I only found that from a competitor....I find tracking down the entry lists on the MRL site baffling......
Old 26 Oct 2021, 12:45 (Ref:4080148)   #10
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Trying to decide whether to trek back down there again on Sunday, as the Classic Alfa Challenge is running in the All Stars race, constituting over a third of the entry....though I only found that from a competitor....I find tracking down the entry lists on the MRL site baffling......
It would be brilliant to catch up lanky.
Old 27 Oct 2021, 18:22 (Ref:4080306)   #11
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
is the All stars entry on the HRDC site?
Old 27 Oct 2021, 19:51 (Ref:4080328)   #12
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
is the All stars entry on the HRDC site?

HRDC site is worse than MRL - apart from the 2022 provisional dates, everything else on there seems to be months, if not, in the case of the Classic Alfa page, a year out of date......

I've tried to attach the list my competitor friend has sent

Well that didn't work too well - it uploaded but wasn't readable....let's try again....
Attached Thumbnails
Allstarts2.jpg  
Old 28 Oct 2021, 08:41 (Ref:4080380)   #13
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Looking at that, some interesting cars in a mixed bag. What is a Pandora SP. I feel I should know!
Old 28 Oct 2021, 09:05 (Ref:4080384)   #14
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent View Post
Looking at that, some interesting cars in a mixed bag. What is a Pandora SP. I feel I should know!
Could it be this car:

Roger Phillips:
“Our racing car (yet to be named) was conceived in the White Horse Pub, Chichester. There were three of us in this marriage that conceived the car; Tony Cowell, a Master Blacksmith of the old Wrought Iron School, who wielded a torch as an artist wields his brush, he even used to weld up speedo cables! Alongside him was Michael Homer, the son of a noted Selsey Lobster Fisherman and both of them lived a few doors apart in Selsey.

I joined these lads as the third of the ‘Three Musketeers’ as we were known, after noticing Michael’s much modified 850 Mini, which had all the Downton bits and went like a rocket.

[...]

Not wishing to risk my daily driver again (which had morphed into a Mk1 Cortina GT 1500) I was listening to Michael when he suddenly came up with this wild idea of building our own car. He was full of the news that there was to be a new 1100cc Sports Racing Class and he reckoned he could design and he and Tony could build a super low and light weight car to these new regulations using a BMC engine, which he reckoned he could put together with his brother in law’s help. I remember Michael saying that the regulations called for doors of a certain area and he had come up with the idea of making the doors long but low, complying with the area requirement but enabling us to build a ‘proper’ race car. At the same time, Mr. Chapman and later others were having similar thoughts, all unknown to us.

[...]

The arrangement between the three of us was that I would fund the cost, Michael would design the car and build the engine and Tony would do all the fabrication. We would own the car jointly and share the driving.

[...]

The Jackson company was growing and getting busier all the time, plus the commute from Selsey was a bind so Michael managed to sweet talk a wonderful lady in Selsey who had a lock up garage that she never used and she kindly offered it to us as a workshop. The lady’s name was Pandora and when the question of a name for the car came up we thought that would be a nice name, so PANDORA it was with the add on of ‘Powered by Austin’, (Austin sounded so much better than BMC).

[...]

Work and progress was slow though and so to speed things up I suggested we get our own premises and start up our own garage business which we called, ‘Pandora Motor Engineering’.

I would recommend a read of the full article - even if I've got the wrong car....

There was also an article in the 4 Apr 19 Autosport where the current owner Andy Prill reunited the car with Roger following restoration, and Roger had some time in the car.
Old 28 Oct 2021, 11:20 (Ref:4080405)   #15
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Could it be this car:

Roger Phillips:
“Our racing car (yet to be named) was conceived in the White Horse Pub, Chichester. There were three of us in this marriage that conceived the car; Tony Cowell, a Master Blacksmith of the old Wrought Iron School, who wielded a torch as an artist wields his brush, he even used to weld up speedo cables! Alongside him was Michael Homer, the son of a noted Selsey Lobster Fisherman and both of them lived a few doors apart in Selsey.

I joined these lads as the third of the ‘Three Musketeers’ as we were known, after noticing Michael’s much modified 850 Mini, which had all the Downton bits and went like a rocket.

[...]

Not wishing to risk my daily driver again (which had morphed into a Mk1 Cortina GT 1500) I was listening to Michael when he suddenly came up with this wild idea of building our own car. He was full of the news that there was to be a new 1100cc Sports Racing Class and he reckoned he could design and he and Tony could build a super low and light weight car to these new regulations using a BMC engine, which he reckoned he could put together with his brother in law’s help. I remember Michael saying that the regulations called for doors of a certain area and he had come up with the idea of making the doors long but low, complying with the area requirement but enabling us to build a ‘proper’ race car. At the same time, Mr. Chapman and later others were having similar thoughts, all unknown to us.

[...]

The arrangement between the three of us was that I would fund the cost, Michael would design the car and build the engine and Tony would do all the fabrication. We would own the car jointly and share the driving.

[...]

The Jackson company was growing and getting busier all the time, plus the commute from Selsey was a bind so Michael managed to sweet talk a wonderful lady in Selsey who had a lock up garage that she never used and she kindly offered it to us as a workshop. The lady’s name was Pandora and when the question of a name for the car came up we thought that would be a nice name, so PANDORA it was with the add on of ‘Powered by Austin’, (Austin sounded so much better than BMC).

[...]

Work and progress was slow though and so to speed things up I suggested we get our own premises and start up our own garage business which we called, ‘Pandora Motor Engineering’.

I would recommend a read of the full article - even if I've got the wrong car....

There was also an article in the 4 Apr 19 Autosport where the current owner Andy Prill reunited the car with Roger following restoration, and Roger had some time in the car.
Very interesting. Thanks
Old 28 Oct 2021, 18:41 (Ref:4080468)   #16
abw
Rookie

England
Northampton
abw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is going to be streamed live by Historic Motorsport TV:-
https://www.youtube.com/c/HistoricMo...502&shelf_id=0
Old 28 Oct 2021, 21:47 (Ref:4080487)   #17
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent View Post
Certainly is!! Is the Fred Shepherd Mustang the one he raced at Goodwood MM?
Old 28 Oct 2021, 21:48 (Ref:4080488)   #18
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Thanks for the link, thought i saw it advertised on youtube earlier today as well.
Old 30 Oct 2021, 11:11 (Ref:4080680)   #19
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Live Stream is running now on https://youtu.be/K4GFcWeTC9o.
Race 1 underway
Old 31 Oct 2021, 09:33 (Ref:4080782)   #20
piekey
Rookie

piekey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there a live stream for today/sunday Legends races ?
Old 31 Oct 2021, 10:02 (Ref:4080786)   #21
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by piekey View Post
Coverage is due to start at 10:50
Old 31 Oct 2021, 10:13 (Ref:4080787)   #22
jcdeleted
Rookie

jcdeleted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by piekey View Post
Starts at 10.50 apparently
Old 31 Oct 2021, 11:30 (Ref:4080793)   #23
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Live now on

https://youtu.be/mEQ1VkSUaxk

Live timing: https://livetiming.tsl-timing.com/214352
Old 31 Oct 2021, 11:51 (Ref:4080794)   #24
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Racing at the front is superb!
Old 31 Oct 2021, 11:56 (Ref:4080797)   #25
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Just a bit confusing as TSL have lost the leader. James Colburn's Alfa.....so Richard Merrell is showing as the leader.