Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 3 Aug 2003, 09:15 (Ref:678398)   #1
eldougo
Rookie

eldougo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wellington ........ race.

There is a story in the Wellington paper that Tony .C is talking to the local in NZ about starting some more street races in the capital again, last race was in 1996.Does that
mean that Pukekohe is on the way out .Or maybe 2 racesin NZ.
Old 3 Aug 2003, 09:22 (Ref:678403)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It is likely that there will be 2 races in NZ in the future (2005 on I would think) and that a street race in each of Wellington and Auckland will be the preferred formats. Its almost a revival of the Nissan-Mobil 500 Group A days

Not sure who is stumping up for the cost of the events though....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 3 Aug 2003, 10:18 (Ref:678449)   #3
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1 race in China & 2 in N.Z., why do Holden & Ford bother to sell their products in Australia because give it a few years & TC will have more overseas races than Australian races & all this time i mistakenly believed it was an Australian championship.
Old 3 Aug 2003, 11:26 (Ref:678482)   #4
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far as i'm aware there will either be a second NZ race or a race a China, not both.

Wouldn't mind seeing Wellington back, as long as it is closely based on the original circuit, not like the one used in 1996.

Would be a major pity if Pukekohe got axed, considering the effort they put in for the race.
Old 3 Aug 2003, 11:51 (Ref:678489)   #5
Thunder1
Racer

Thunder1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does this mean that V8 Supercar will go Internationale and the Konica will become the national series.
I would like to see that. Maybe the racing in the both categories will not be so stagnated to what the fans are seeing at the moment.

Thunder1
Old 3 Aug 2003, 21:32 (Ref:678981)   #6
Antrodemus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington, NZ
Antrodemus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting... especially as I'm likely to be moving there next year..

I also doubt it will be anything like the original circuit, which now has the impressively large Te Papa/Museum of NZ sitting on top of it.
Old 3 Aug 2003, 23:19 (Ref:679074)   #7
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thunder1 - AVESCO is attempting to take the series internationally - however, there are a couple of major stumbling blocks to this. Consider the following:

FIA rules will prevent a full international series - and by this the FIA means any national series that has more than 2 off shore rounds. So they can have one NZ and China round and then they start to run foul of the FIA. This one will be interesting to see how AVESCO get around it.

Pukekohe has a contract for the next 2-3 years (not sure of exact figure - someone else can fill this in). AVESCO want a 2nd NZ race (makes sense really) but, again, there is the FIA problem - but also a location. AA reported this week that Taupo and Manfeild on the North Island and Christchurch are al vying for a race - Taupo needs a LOT of work and an extension before it could be used though. Reportedly both Wellington and Auckland street circuits are being planned.

And then this leaves Bahrain and the middle east...

So for AVESCO to stay under the FIA umbrella is going to be a problem - the FIA isn;t going to give Australian V8's and international series - it is too localised a category.

The final problem is - what do they do about Australian circuits? AVESCO are already on record as saying that tey have jst the right number of races - so if any new venues OS are brought in - which tracks get the chop here?

And, the $64 million question - what will happen to the Australian fan base if they start running more rounds overseas? The big drawcard fr the series here is that Joe Blow can go to a race track to see and hear the cars. How many fans will have the money (and time) to go overseas to follow the series?
Old 4 Aug 2003, 05:14 (Ref:679214)   #8
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by RaceTime
Taupo needs a LOT of work and an extension before it could be used though.
Apparently the Taupo circuit is getting an upgrade

http://www.car.co.nz/race.asp?articleid=4644

I'll believe it when I see it
Old 4 Aug 2003, 05:16 (Ref:679216)   #9
RaceTime
Veteran

Last weeks AA alluded to that fact (the upgrade) as well - having doen some timing in the tracks well appointed timing facilities I can only say it needs a lottttt of money spent on it

Last edited by RaceTime; 4 Aug 2003 at 05:17.
Old 4 Aug 2003, 05:39 (Ref:679222)   #10
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Like I said... I'll believe it when I see it

That's right you did the timing at one of the bike meets. I remember you saying that one of the riders had a "big off".
Old 4 Aug 2003, 06:58 (Ref:679251)   #11
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by RaceTime
AVESCO are already on record as saying that tey have jst the right number of races - so if any new venues OS are brought in - which tracks get the chop here?

And, the $64 million question - what will happen to the Australian fan base if they start running more rounds overseas?

Two NZ races is not a problem, but before doing anything else off shore IMO, there MUST be a round in EVERY state of Austrlia INCLUDING Qld and Tas. ACT? Well, the Canberra 400 was OK if it was in the warmer months. Whoever decided it was OK to run it during winter in one of the two coldest states in the country?

Much has been made of how Tas misses out- they don't even get a Konica round and neither does Qld. Where is the sense in that? Look at the population of Qld. It is not right that Tas misses out- if street circuits are the way to go for AVESCO , then do one around Hobart.
Old 4 Aug 2003, 07:14 (Ref:679258)   #12
RaceTime
Veteran

There is a difference, however, in what should be done and what can be done.

Granted there should be a round in every state before any championship can call itself a National Title. However, there is no rule (CAMS or FIA) covering this.

Holding more than 2 offshore rounds, however, IS covered under FIA rules and guidelines - and this is the one that is going to be hard to overcome.
Old 4 Aug 2003, 22:36 (Ref:680002)   #13
Mattracer
Veteran

Regardless of rules, there should be a round in every state as a matter of credibility and fairness. The recent Procar round at Symmons by all accounts was just what the doctor ordered. It's not the circuits themselves per se, it's the infrastructure and future planning that can't cope well enough with the demand, but take away a circuit's main motivation for upgrading and improving, then how can any planning take place without something to plan for?

I'm, sorry, but I can't see the relevance of racing in places like China or Bahrain. NZ has produced several top shelf drivers, all of whom are currently racing in the series, and Holden and Ford export to that market so there is no doubt that a race meeting or two are totally justified in that market. The fact that the motor industry in China is expanding greatly is fine, but V8s? I can't think of a more unsuitable market to sell powerful, big capacity cars in a country of it's population vs land size.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 4 Aug 2003, 22:44 (Ref:680005)   #14
RaceTime
Veteran

Mattracer - totally agree. Personally I see no real problem with both NZ and AUS becoming one ASN under CAMS to allow cross-racing (anything like cross-dressing?? ) between the two countrie.

As for China - the reasoning being given by HRT is that Holden and Ford are both elling models into China and they are claiming it will become a large and important export site for both of them.

But IMHO, whoopeedoo! A Holden with handlebars??
Old 4 Aug 2003, 22:48 (Ref:680007)   #15
Mattracer
Veteran

Well, there is an HSV mountain bike on the market. They could get many more of them in a plane.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 4 Aug 2003, 22:51 (Ref:680010)   #16
TMS
Racer

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
TMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am with the other guys who beleive that NZ is a great place to have a couple of races, however China is not something I agree with. We have a unique series that is AUSTRALIAN and I beleive that revenue seems to be the only consideration here. I can almost see it dying in the ass like CART has. Also, have a look at F1. Bernie keeps atttempting to axe so many of the all time great tracks.

Basically, motor racing has changed a lot since my youngster days at lakeside for some good and bad, however I am a little skeptical to seeing our successful and popular series going OS when we can boost more money into our own races.....just my opinion.
Old 5 Aug 2003, 05:54 (Ref:680176)   #17
Mattracer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by TMS
I can almost see it dying in the ass like CART has.
Procar is the only other major series that could challenge it and it caters for a different market with Euro exotica as a staple diet.

Interesting that on the last Superstars, mention was made of getting the Brutes on the V8 programme.
Old 5 Aug 2003, 06:26 (Ref:680184)   #18
RaceTime
Veteran

Re BRutes on the V8 program - hasn't a snowballs chance in hell while Ross Palmer is still alive...from all accounts he and Cochrane get on like a house on fire.

AVESCO and CAMS attempted to start another Utes series about 15-18 months ago - Palmer successfully stopped it from going ahead as CAMS has already given ProCar exclusive rights to Ute racing . (Sorta like Cochrane spouting off when AVESCO first started, that CAMS had given them the rights to 'V8' racing and no one else could use the name or cars)
Old 5 Aug 2003, 06:29 (Ref:680185)   #19
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They havent bought Morky's cybersquatted site v8racing.com yet

And the clownjuice at the ARDC tried to register all sorts of similar company names to try and stop TEGA from running its own show... what a waste of effort....
Old 5 Aug 2003, 06:43 (Ref:680189)   #20
RaceTime
Veteran

Was speaking to Morky at the last Wakefield meeting - he said that AVESCO had bought the site from him - didn;t say when, but he was saying that he had sold a few of the sites he had registered.

BTW - you (or anyone else) going to be at Wakefield this weekend for the State meeting??
Old 5 Aug 2003, 06:49 (Ref:680193)   #21
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I am interstate this weekend for work unfortunately
Old 5 Aug 2003, 07:19 (Ref:680206)   #22
RaceTime
Veteran

So? There are roads, trains and planes
Old 5 Aug 2003, 07:20 (Ref:680207)   #23
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I would gladly not count tomato stocks to do just about anything else
Old 5 Aug 2003, 08:42 (Ref:680277)   #24
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The thing about NZ is that it aint really that big a market, and if you were going to have two race meetings in two weeks, they would eat into each other's market. Kind of like if they had two CART races in Australia.
Old 5 Aug 2003, 08:54 (Ref:680288)   #25
RaceTime
Veteran

Not if it is planned properly.

There are effectively two markets in NZ - the North and the South - if they have any sense about the whole thing and second race would be located in the south - which means Christchurch is the only viable option.