Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 3 May 2023, 07:31 (Ref:4154284)   #76
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Crow View Post
You are probably right. Thruxton loses a lot of time with the Church break on a Sunday as well. I guess I will go anyway because it’s very local for me and I love the circuit. It all sounds a bit thin though but on a sunny day who knows?
The provisional timetable for the Thruxton Historic meeting has been published. As suspected, it is a little thin in places:

https://www.barc.net/wp-content/uplo...-Published.pdf
Old 3 May 2023, 10:22 (Ref:4154302)   #77
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Castle Combe's Autumn Classic has a similar programme, with the Superformance Ferraris, FISCAR and the CMMC appearing along with GT&SCC and the HSCC's Griffith's Haig Trophy and the returning Formula Juniors. The meeting is on September 23rd.
Old 3 May 2023, 10:33 (Ref:4154307)   #78
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCCheddaris View Post
Castle Combe's Autumn Classic has a similar programme, with the Superformance Ferraris, FISCAR and the CMMC appearing along with GT&SCC and the HSCC's Griffith's Haig Trophy and the returning Formula Juniors. The meeting is on September 23rd.
Thruxton would have done better with a one day event. Hope they have some good displays or it will be a very slow day. May need a good book.
Old 3 May 2023, 14:56 (Ref:4154332)   #79
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sadly, the BARC's optimism that new series would come on board has been misplaced and they are left, as others have already said, with a rather thin weekend's sport. Fingers crossed crossed for some good entries and as Mike said, a sunny day.
Old 3 May 2023, 15:29 (Ref:4154337)   #80
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Sadly, the BARC's optimism that new series would come on board has been misplaced and they are left, as others have already said, with a rather thin weekend's sport. Fingers crossed crossed for some good entries and as Mike said, a sunny day.
Arguably, they have achieved their objective of attracting new series to the event - the Ferraris, Historic FF2000 and FISCAR have only raced a handful of times at Thruxton over the course of, say, the last decade and the CMMC series have never been there.

The issue to my mind, is the reliance of parades to pad the timetable (plus a couple of free practice/warm up sessions which, whilst useful for drivers, aren't necessarily the most entertaining).
Old 3 May 2023, 16:18 (Ref:4154347)   #81
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
There are some very interesting cars promised for the JRT which should make it a real highlight for the year overall
Old 3 May 2023, 18:21 (Ref:4154369)   #82
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
The grids I am involved in are full . Historic FF 2000 and JRT . Going to run the March 79 B . Jeepers that’s going to be frightening
Old 22 Jul 2023, 16:47 (Ref:4169457)   #83
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
3/5 November, Twice around the clock, Circuit Paul Ricard, Le Castellet. https://vdev.fr/en/
Old 22 Jul 2023, 18:38 (Ref:4169470)   #84
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
3/5 November, Twice around the clock, Circuit Paul Ricard, Le Castellet. https://vdev.fr/en/
Was at that event many many years ago with Jean-Louis Ricci & Costas Los. It was a great event with lots of interesting names involved. Love to go again but just too far away these days.

Memorable too for Barrie Williams regaling anyone who would listen with stories about how his tow-car broke down in northern France & he ended up buying something cheap on his credit card in order to complete the journey.

Happy days, as someone once said.
Old 22 Jul 2023, 19:34 (Ref:4169475)   #85
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Jean-Louis, Ricci! Of course. Name of the past I forgot about. I cant remember the years I did this race, but was with a Giulia 2 litre then twice with a 911. Ho yeah very Happy Days for sure.
Old 23 Jul 2023, 08:28 (Ref:4169510)   #86
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Jean-Louis, Ricci! Of course. Name of the past I forgot about. I cant remember the years I did this race, but was with a Giulia 2 litre then twice with a 911. Ho yeah very Happy Days for sure.
I can't remember what year I went either, but have a feeling it was 1996 - I will find the programme & see if you are in it.

All sorts of big names there, like Gerard Larrousee & Jean Sage. Funny thing is I didn't even know I was going to a race meeting, I just drove a Mini down there to meet-up with Costas Los, then to drive his Allard Lexus back to London.
Old 23 Jul 2023, 13:08 (Ref:4169529)   #87
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Sure, Gérard Larrousse did quite a few races with his mate, Jean Sage. Mostly under the banner of Switzerland cheese. I met them during what was Mobil Economy Run here, an endurance having absolutely nothing to see with "economy"! Did it once at Ricard, finishing second in class with my pretty std Rallye2. I remember winner was a works Audi 100 coupé pedalled by Marc Sourd. Those were the days!
Old 18 Aug 2023, 09:35 (Ref:4173195)   #88
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Motors Festival des 50 ans de Croix

8/10 September, Croix en Ternois track (near Arras,Pas de Calais,France). You'll meet our René Arnoux should you be wishing for. Nice bloke. May be the European Formula Ford Festival will be the most interesting grid.

https://www.hvmracing.fr/en/content/...0-ans-de-croix

Provisional time table: https://www.hvmracing.fr/img/cms/202...2%20Public.pdf John, may be you'll have a go (or is it Angoulême for you?)?
Old 18 Aug 2023, 09:41 (Ref:4173196)   #89
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
8/10 September, Croix en Ternois track (near Arras,Pas de Calais,France). You'll meet our René Arnoux should you be wishing for. Nice bloke. May be the European Formula Ford Festival will be the most interesting grid.

https://www.hvmracing.fr/en/content/...0-ans-de-croix

Provisional time table: https://www.hvmracing.fr/img/cms/202...2%20Public.pdf John, may be you'll have a go (or is it Angoulême for you?)?
I presume you will be coming??
Old 18 Aug 2023, 10:18 (Ref:4173199)   #90
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a great little circuit. Raced there 3 times 20 years ago. Always loved going there and it typified the best of the French. The loos left a bit to be desired but the food was great.
Old 18 Aug 2023, 11:03 (Ref:4173204)   #91
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
It's a great little circuit. Raced there 3 times 20 years ago. Always loved going there and it typified the best of the French. The loos left a bit to be desired but the food was great.
It still is. The toilets are now very clean & very modern & the food is still good.

Unfortunately there are very few car race meetings now - plenty of 'bikes, track days & other stuff. We are on a bit of a limb up here racing-wise, it is very much rally country. I gather the MSA miseries have banned UK clubs from organising here.
Old 18 Aug 2023, 14:14 (Ref:4173226)   #92
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
I should have added that the circuit staff and local French race officials were pleasant to deal with.
Old 18 Aug 2023, 14:25 (Ref:4173228)   #93
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
I should have added that the circuit staff and local French race officials were pleasant to deal with.
Of course!

I have lived a few km's from Croix for the last 19 years & the circuit folk are just typical for this part of the world. I'm originally from Norfolk & I liken them to East Anglians - very open, very friendly, invariably with a bit of humour in there. They are good, honest country folk. Despite what you might read in some parts of the UK press, they like the British too.

I don't regret coming to live here in the least - you certainly won't find me moving back any time soon!
Old 19 Aug 2023, 09:23 (Ref:4173314)   #94
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Of course! Despite what you might read in some parts of the UK press, they like the British too.

That's good and it makes them a unique area within the EU.
Old 6 Sep 2023, 15:35 (Ref:4175407)   #95
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Anyone interested in racing 300 kilometers race at Dijon, 6/8 October '23?
Old 6 Sep 2023, 19:58 (Ref:4175436)   #96
drbob
Racer

drbob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gerard I like the Dijon track. When I first raced there in 2022 I did not like it at all. I called it a Mickey Mouse track. But over the weekend I came to enjoy it very much in the Lotus Elite. Brian Lambert said to me that it was a very technical track. He is right. But it is also a bit of a balls out track as well. It’s history with F1, nicely displayed with posters on the main building walls is very impressive. I think I would enjoy it a lot in the 1965 Marcos 1800 GT.
Old 7 Sep 2023, 06:46 (Ref:4175467)   #97
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Indeed Robert, very technical. And there are lots of efforts on the RL tyre something we have not on other tracks. Even more complicated, we see that sometimes when they resurface the track its worth reconsider some of the race lines. Tricky! And as you say, no need to have a lot of power under the bonnet to have fun there. Your Marcos will be ready next year I suppose?
Old 7 Sep 2023, 07:01 (Ref:4175470)   #98
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Dijon Motors Cup! provisional time table: https://www.hvmracing.fr/img/cms/202...Cup%202023.pdf Highlight should be the F2 grid (under the aegis of HSCC). Cars accepted in HF2: F2, Formula B and Formula Atlantic, pre 1979. New for this year the P9 Challenge: GT/Touring and prototypes until 2016; a hypercars grid with a contemporary twist. A dose of "modern" motorsport to make the cocktail even tastier !
Old 7 Sep 2023, 09:41 (Ref:4175508)   #99
drbob
Racer

drbob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
delta says the Marcos will be ready for several races in October- Silverstone, Jerez and Portimao
Old 7 Sep 2023, 09:52 (Ref:4175511)   #100
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Great news. I don't know Jerez but you've a nice set of great tracks scheduled.