Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 1 May 2023, 08:53 (Ref:4153982)   #26
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The sizes of the grids at Donington were far larger than the grids which graced Thruxton and Snetterton last year, although the low grids at Thruxton last year were partially blamed on it's proximity to the Le Mans Classic. The HRDC appear to be on to a winner with the Gerry Marshall Trophy which attracted well over thirty entries to Donington. Are the GT&SCC running their Group One series this year ?

The HSCC's Historic Formula Two series ran at the early April Masters meeting rather than this one, but it is noticeable that relatively few single seater races are held these days in comparison to the plethora of saloon and GT series.

Happily my local circuits, Thruxton and Castle Combe, are still relatively free of fencing and the sight and sound of the Jochen Rindt Trophy field approaching the Complex is well worth the entrance fee.
Old 1 May 2023, 09:18 (Ref:4153985)   #27
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
[QUOTE=GCCheddaris;4153982]

The HSCC's Historic Formula Two series ran at the early April Masters meeting rather than this one, but it is noticeable that relatively few single seater races are held these days in comparison to the plethora of saloon and GT series.

It must be a lot easier to make Lotus cortinas, Mini's Chevron B8-B16, T70, GT 40, Elan 26R etc. than it is to make an F2 car. An F2 for example would need to have a good history as well.
Old 1 May 2023, 09:27 (Ref:4153987)   #28
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I built and used to rebuild my only pushrod engine which probably did something like 80 to 100 races over a 5 year period. After each race, I would take the head off and replace the head, inlet and exhaust gaskets, whilst after each 2nd race, I would remove the whole engine and completely rebuild it including, sometimes, new pistons - or at least new rings.
Methanol, NOS, Bourbon fed? Coca Cola?
Old 1 May 2023, 10:58 (Ref:4153998)   #29
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
[QUOTE=rbs;4153985]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCCheddaris View Post

It must be a lot easier to make Lotus cortinas, Mini's Chevron B8-B16, T70, GT 40, Elan 26R etc. than it is to make an F2 car. An F2 for example would need to have a good history as well.
If, as mentioned in the VSCC Spring Start thread, Jim Stokes could create an Alfa Romeo 158 (his second 158) and Cameron Millar could build several Maserati 250Fs, it shouldn't be too difficult to recreate more modern spaceframe and aluminium monocoque single seaters.

ISTR Van Diemen building a batch of their RF82 Formula Ford 2000s in later years and if Lola could produce their iconic T70 model why not some Formula 5000 T332s ? Building a one off may be prohibitively expensive but building a batch of cars would possibly make more sense if buyers could be found of course.
Old 1 May 2023, 11:03 (Ref:4154000)   #30
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The sizes of the grids at Donington were far larger than the grids which graced Thruxton and Snetterton last year, although the low grids at Thruxton last year were partially blamed on it's proximity to the Le Mans Classic. The HRDC appear to be on to a winner with the Gerry Marshall Trophy which attracted well over thirty entries to Donington. Are the GT&SCC running their Group One series this year ?

The HSCC's Historic Formula Two series ran at the early April Masters meeting rather than this one, but it is noticeable that relatively few single seater races are held these days in comparison to the plethora of saloon and GT series. Happily my local circuits, Thruxton and Castle Combe, are still relatively free of fencing and the sight and sound of the Jochwn Rindt Trophy field
HSCC F2 hasn't run yet this season first round is Hockenheim this weekend.
Old 1 May 2023, 11:07 (Ref:4154001)   #31
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundersports View Post
In period Hockenheim's Jim Clark Trophy Formula Two race was held either just before or just after Thruxton depending on when Easter fell that year, but usually early in April.
Old 1 May 2023, 12:34 (Ref:4154010)   #32
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Really enjoyed the racing on Sunday, the Gerry Marshall trophy being the highlight. Good to see a full paddock as well.
Old 1 May 2023, 14:44 (Ref:4154021)   #33
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
[QUOTE=GCCheddaris;4153998]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
Jim Stokes could create an Alfa Romeo 158 (his second 158) and Cameron Millar could build several Maserati 250Fs, it shouldn't be too difficult to recreate more modern spaceframe and aluminium monocoque single seaters.
https://tipo184.com/
Old 1 May 2023, 15:46 (Ref:4154035)   #34
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Next weekend ?
Old 1 May 2023, 15:47 (Ref:4154036)   #35
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Ah sorry it’s Monday . Your right this weekend .We leave tomorrow ?
Old 1 May 2023, 16:12 (Ref:4154041)   #36
percy
Racer

percy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few from Sunday's races...
Attached Thumbnails
DSC06305.jpg   DSC06322.jpg   DSC06486.jpg  

DSC06646.jpg   DSC06619.jpg   DSC06779.jpg  

Old 1 May 2023, 16:45 (Ref:4154046)   #37
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
[QUOTE=Gerard C;4154021]
Quote:
That car is the epitome of many a between the wars Brooklands (or Montlhery) special Gerard.
Old 1 May 2023, 21:53 (Ref:4154077)   #38
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Ah sorry it’s Monday . Your right this weekend .We leave tomorrow ?
I'm off to the wonderful Cadwell Park this weekend you can keep modern Hockemheim.
Old 1 May 2023, 22:05 (Ref:4154079)   #39
kartman24
Racer

kartman24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did anyone get any pictures or video of my Grey Fairthorpe Zeta reg number 777 PPD during Sundays club track parade laps? Just finished an 11 year rebuild and had my first drive Friday evening before loading on the trailer to take to Donington. Loads of people taking pics of it as we went out and came back from the circuit run, hope someone on here caught it on camera.
Old 2 May 2023, 00:50 (Ref:4154094)   #40
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartman24 View Post
Did anyone get any pictures or video of my Grey Fairthorpe Zeta reg number 777 PPD during Sundays club track parade laps? Just finished an 11 year rebuild and had my first drive Friday evening before loading on the trailer to take to Donington. Loads of people taking pics of it as we went out and came back from the circuit run, hope someone on here caught it on camera.
I am sure you might have this already in your history of the car, but I did find an ad for the actual car in an ancient Motorsport Magazine which I will post here in case it is of interest. The reg # 777PPD is visible.

"Motorway Sports Cars" who offered the car for sale, at the time of the ad were on the A2 at Boughton nr. Faversham "1 mile from the end of the Motorway towards Canterbury." Phone Boughton 223 !

Not sure if the image will show or enlarge the ad details on the forum clearly enough to read, (I expanded it as much as I could before posting) but it is described as:

"1960 Fairthorpe Zeta An immaculate example with the tuned Zodiac engine (Raymond Mays Head, 6 Amals etc.) giving a staggering 'E'-Type performance and a surprising economy. Very roomy inside, detachable hard top....... £355"
Attached Thumbnails
Fairthorpe Zeta 777 PPD.png  

Last edited by E.B; 2 May 2023 at 01:11.
Old 2 May 2023, 06:07 (Ref:4154115)   #41
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I'm off to the wonderful Cadwell Park this weekend you can keep modern Hockemheim.
Snap - the best meeting of the year at the best circuit in the UK at the best time of year .
Old 2 May 2023, 08:17 (Ref:4154128)   #42
drbob
Racer

drbob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like Donington track as well. The facilities are pretty good too. I can never get Redgate right though.
Old 2 May 2023, 08:38 (Ref:4154134)   #43
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbob View Post
I like Donington track as well. The facilities are pretty good too. I can never get Redgate right though.

I truly know what you mean, Dr Bob. Despite many, many hours pounding around, both racing and open public testing sessions, the Brands Hatch Indy circuit over 5 years up to 1970, I never, ever managed to find the right way to get around what was then called Bottom Bend, now renamed Surtees I believe.

Those of a certain age might remember that it was a double apex bend which meant turning in coming down from Druids and then tightening a bit more about 10 metres further on but on the flat. But to complicate it further, about half way through it became off camber!

I think that it was a combination of my poor driving abilities and how I built and set up my car, but having followed some of the best drivers of the day, guys like Gerry Marshall and even a future F1 WDC who was testing a F2 one Saturday afternoon, and trying to copy them, I failed miserably.
Old 2 May 2023, 18:16 (Ref:4154225)   #44
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Despite many, many hours pounding around, both racing and open public testing sessions, the Brands Hatch Indy circuit over 5 years up to 1970, I never, ever managed to find the right way to get around what was then called Bottom Bend, now renamed Surtees I believe.
Bottom bend was altered and a huge soakaway dug on the inside necessitating the track to be reprofiled which has never met the approval of those who raced the old layout. At the same time another huge soakaway was dug on the inside at the bottom of paddock hill, prior to these alterations the circuit would regularly flood at the first sign of rain. Bottom bend was renamed Graham Hill bend, Surtees being the next left flick at the other end of South Bank leading directly into McLaren on the Indy circuit, during 2 separate circuit days some years ago I never could get the right line!
Old 2 May 2023, 19:28 (Ref:4154240)   #45
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
How on earth have we switched from Donington to Brands Hatch . Anyway I’m under the channel and on my to Hockenheim . ?. Happy days
Old 2 May 2023, 20:16 (Ref:4154247)   #46
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
How on earth have we switched from Donington to Brands Hatch .
Sorry got carried away! Safe journey and go well
Old 2 May 2023, 21:16 (Ref:4154258)   #47
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Had to laugh . Parked up for the night near Bethune . All good so far .?
Old 3 May 2023, 13:40 (Ref:4154329)   #48
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Bethune, centuries ago, was well known by his executioner, le Bourreau de Bethune. I've been told that he has been replaced by a certain Johnny Elwinn, hence le bourreau des coeurs!
Old 3 May 2023, 17:03 (Ref:4154353)   #49
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Yes also the place where I ran out of diesel last year . Happy days
Old 3 May 2023, 17:12 (Ref:4154355)   #50
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Ho yes, now you mention it I do remember. Have a look around, may be there's a street or place named after you in this medieval city. You're famous, Iain!