Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 18 Dec 2018, 10:53 (Ref:3871083)   #3326
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Ouch!
That’s an understatement!
Old 18 Dec 2018, 11:06 (Ref:3871085)   #3327
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Also

I wonder if the driver of this gritter is suing the local council for not gritting the roads

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...yside-46591393

....another local council 'pleased to be delivering services'?
Old 18 Dec 2018, 11:43 (Ref:3871097)   #3328
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Well, if I understand this https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...718965&from=EN correctly it basically says that the Consumer Protection Act in the UK should be replicated by any other country. I mention the CPA since it was developed to comply with EU law but the French/Spanish/German equivalent will apply equally.
In theory, you are quite correct. However, and I would imagine that Peter in Belgium and John in France may well agree with me, in practice it's not that simple. I could regale you with how the Spanish just ignore Brussels when it suits them, especially when you take into account how the country is split into different autonomous regions.

Quote:
Notwithstanding Boris' bus, the argument for remain was based upon, as I said, Armageddon. Instead of working on the basis that the EU was good for all, the campaign basically said its the EU or nothing.

I wasn't in the UK at the time so not sure if there were any cogent arguments put forward, but the main protagonists for remaining were (in no particular order) Cameron, Blair, Campbell, Adonis, Clegg, Cable and Mandelson. None of whom I'd trust to sell me a used car.

I agree with you about the above mentioned names - snake oil salesmen, the lot of them!
Old 18 Dec 2018, 11:46 (Ref:3871098)   #3329
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
In theory, you are quite correct. However, and I would imagine that Peter in Belgium and John in France may well agree with me, in practice it's not that simple. I could regale you with how the Spanish just ignore Brussels when it suits them, especially when you take into account how the country is split into different autonomous regions.
And then I ask you why anyone would want to belong to this club........

Anyway this is good news for our truckers................... or not as the case may be.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...siness-junked/

EU agrees to retain the CTC in the event of a No Deal Braxit.
Old 18 Dec 2018, 12:07 (Ref:3871103)   #3330
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Anyway this is good news for our truckers................... or not as the case may be.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...siness-junked/

I thought the majority of truckers (at least the drivers) in the UK these days come from other EU countries. Not just those using Left Hand drive trucks.

No doubt the value of the pounds that are shifted back into various parts of Europe are welcomed as they would reduce the need for support from Brussels.
Old 18 Dec 2018, 12:19 (Ref:3871107)   #3331
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
....another local council 'pleased to be delivering services'?
...Direct to your front room.
Old 18 Dec 2018, 12:51 (Ref:3871113)   #3332
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

I can’t access that article Peter. What’s CTC an acronym for in this context? I’ve found 186 suggestions on line!
Old 18 Dec 2018, 13:25 (Ref:3871118)   #3333
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Common Transport somethingorother. Means you don't pay duty until you get to your detinstination.
Old 18 Dec 2018, 13:40 (Ref:3871119)   #3334
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Common Transport somethingorother. Means you don't pay duty until you get to your detinstination.
Common Transit Convention sounds right. Cheers!

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/u...n-after-brexit

If I’m reading it right, that is a great relief to not only the transport industry but race teams as well.....
Old 18 Dec 2018, 13:43 (Ref:3871120)   #3335
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Likewise there's an agreement for flying and thankfully landing, aircraft in the EU too. This is that cliff we are about to fall off.
Old 18 Dec 2018, 13:52 (Ref:3871123)   #3336
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Likewise there's an agreement for flying and thankfully landing, aircraft in the EU too. This is that cliff we are about to fall off.
Is that the ‘open skies’ arrangement I hear mentioned on occasions?
Old 18 Dec 2018, 14:00 (Ref:3871124)   #3337
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Is that the ‘open skies’ arrangement I hear mentioned on occasions?

I believe that "Open Skies" is the agreement with the USA (and possibly other countries as well) and the EU. I think that there is another convention that covers flight freedoms between EU member states.
Old 18 Dec 2018, 14:05 (Ref:3871125)   #3338
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:

I certainly agree that there is a lot wrong with the EU currently. However, I had hoped that a decent leader from the UK could actually form an alliance of other dissatisfied EU leaders to get the EU structure reformed, going back to it's original format as a trading block.
Old 18 Dec 2018, 14:09 (Ref:3871128)   #3339
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Not a hope of that. I repeat, look what they've done to the southern countries. The New entries won't want to rock the boat too much since the Germans (and they are the controlling state) will turn the tap off.

With all the money they are raking in now, there is no incentive to change the structure. That said give it a couple more years and it will more than likely turn into a failed experiment anyway.
Old 18 Dec 2018, 15:18 (Ref:3871150)   #3340
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
......I had hoped that a decent leader from the UK could actually form an alliance of other dissatisfied EU leaders to get the EU structure reformed, going back to it's original format as a trading block.
Cameron tried to do that to an extent although I accept that he perhaps didn't qualify under the 'decent leader' bit. If I recall correctly, the countries that did appear to be open to changes tended to be the weaker ones and were brought into line by the stronger northern countries of the EU.
Old 18 Dec 2018, 15:36 (Ref:3871156)   #3341
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Cameron tried to do that to an extent although I accept that he perhaps didn't qualify under the 'decent leader' bit. If I recall correctly, the countries that did appear to be open to changes tended to be the weaker ones and were brought into line by the stronger northern countries of the EU.
Quote:
Not a hope of that. I repeat, look what they've done to the southern countries. The New entries won't want to rock the boat too much since the Germans (and they are the controlling state) will turn the tap off.
Yup.
Old 18 Dec 2018, 15:44 (Ref:3871157)   #3342
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
My understanding of legal systems is that until someone takes something to court then it doesn't always apply.
Apparently there's a shortage of judges that speak enough languages to be allowed to practice in Belgium so it takes ages to get anything to court.
So it's quite easy to ignore a lot of "laws".

When trying to register a new car in the UK, someone I know wanted to pay the vat in the country where they were buying the car (apart from being cheaper it made moving it rather easier) but the UK insisted vat was paid in the UK.
Given this isn't how it works for other goods some organisation wanted him to be the test case, but he wanted to use it rather than wait for the courts to makeup their mind so didn't bother!
So, the situation continues...
Old 18 Dec 2018, 17:07 (Ref:3871173)   #3343
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I suspect it's the registration part. Frinstamce if my company does work in the UK for a company in the Netherlands it is VAT zero. But as soon as I set foot in the Netherlands I have to charge VAT at the Netherlands rate.
Old 18 Dec 2018, 17:58 (Ref:3871187)   #3344
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I suspect it's the registration part. Frinstamce if my company does work in the UK for a company in the Netherlands it is VAT zero. But as soon as I set foot in the Netherlands I have to charge VAT at the Netherlands rate.

Surely you can't charge the rate of a VAT regime with which you are not registered? (Although I would agree that if you are working for a Dutch branch of your business and they will be billing the client then your work would attract VAT since it is the company location not the individual who undertakes the work that attracts the tax.

If you make a supply from the UK, VAT free, the client is supposed to make the VAT payment anyway at their local rate. Assuming that they can realistically reclaim the VAT on the basis if being a business expense one moves a few electrons and maybe some pixels and a drop of ink and everything balances back out at in the end.

Obviously when obtaining supplies from elsewhere in Europe for UK consumption the same rules apply. If VAT registered.

Of course it is possible that more complex situations are possible for which I lack knowledge.

That said it you like real complexity in taxation the most fun can be had in the USA. I would imagine there are very few tax consultants who are familiar with all of the rules and regulations. Perhaps there are none.
Old 18 Dec 2018, 18:18 (Ref:3871191)   #3345
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
You may be correct. Been long time.
Old 18 Dec 2018, 18:28 (Ref:3871194)   #3346
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Relevant on the tea break thread, serious repercussions from the push to make seemingly everything biodegradable or recyclable.......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-46608795

Fortunately I drink another tea produced in that area.

Do like Yorkshire Tea’s telly ads though, especially the one with the Kaiser Chiefs.
Old 18 Dec 2018, 18:43 (Ref:3871201)   #3347
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I'm still struggling to understand how the tea is grown on the South facing slopes of the dales. But apparently it's true.
Old 18 Dec 2018, 18:49 (Ref:3871202)   #3348
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
I'm still struggling to understand how the tea is grown on the South facing slopes of the dales. But apparently it's true.
Hidden Micro climate......
Old 18 Dec 2018, 18:54 (Ref:3871204)   #3349
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Relevant on the tea break thread, serious repercussions from the push to make seemingly everything biodegradable or recyclable.......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-46608795

Fortunately I drink another tea produced in that area.

Do like Yorkshire Tea’s telly ads though, especially the one with the Kaiser Chiefs.
I seem to remember there was talk here a while back about a certain member using 'historic' teabags. Were they bio-degradable?
Old 18 Dec 2018, 19:00 (Ref:3871205)   #3350
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Surely you can't charge the rate of a VAT regime with which you are not registered? (Although I would agree that if you are working for a Dutch branch of your business and they will be billing the client then your work would attract VAT since it is the company location not the individual who undertakes the work that attracts the tax.

If you make a supply from the UK, VAT free, the client is supposed to make the VAT payment anyway at their local rate. Assuming that they can realistically reclaim the VAT on the basis if being a business expense one moves a few electrons and maybe some pixels and a drop of ink and everything balances back out at in the end.

Obviously when obtaining supplies from elsewhere in Europe for UK consumption the same rules apply. If VAT registered.

Of course it is possible that more complex situations are possible for which I lack knowledge.

That said it you like real complexity in taxation the most fun can be had in the USA. I would imagine there are very few tax consultants who are familiar with all of the rules and regulations. Perhaps there are none.
Buying goods as a private non vat registered customer usually means you pay the vat to the supplier at the local rate and can then take the goods anywhere you want in Europe.
That's what he wanted to do with the car.

Instead you buy the car without paying vat, then transport it on transit plates (or some other solution) and then pay the vat on arrival in the final destination.

Meanwhile the garage have to hand over the VAT (to their local vat office) they would have charged and can't reclaim it until they have been supplied with proof it has been paid elsewhere.

Don't have much to do with the USA but their tax rates seem quite low (but I think vary between States) and I just discovered they can import things up to $800 without costs. But I'm not surprised it is complicated!