Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Sep 2001, 12:16 (Ref:146016)   #1
The Moon Monkey
Racer

Ireland
The Temples of Syrinx
The Moon Monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jean Alesi?

Does Jean Alesi deserve the Jordan drive for 2002???

I think he does but Eddie Jordan is proving to be somewhat erratic in his decision making this year and I would not be surprised if he tries a "Youngster" for next season! EJ is getting desperate for success now...

Maybe Justin Wilson or the Japanese driver, Sato...

Any views?
Old 14 Sep 2001, 12:59 (Ref:146035)   #2
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it will be au revoir to Jean at the end of the season, which would be a sad day for F1 in general as he is the last of the truly, emotional characters, who races with his heart on his sleeve.

There is a slight chance he may be at Jordan next year, but considering the driver movements, nothing is guaranteed.
Old 14 Sep 2001, 13:49 (Ref:146052)   #3
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jean said there are 2 possibillities:

1 Jordan
2 No more F1
Old 14 Sep 2001, 21:18 (Ref:146265)   #4
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sure hope he'll stay.
Old 14 Sep 2001, 21:42 (Ref:146284)   #5
The Moon Monkey
Racer

Ireland
The Temples of Syrinx
I pray that EJ will sign him up for next season.

JOIN ME!!!
Old 14 Sep 2001, 22:14 (Ref:146306)   #6
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Too bad if he quits... He had signed at Prost for the next year before quit to Jordan...
Old 15 Sep 2001, 00:23 (Ref:146358)   #7
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
no he doesnt - if mika hakkinen is replaced ......
Old 15 Sep 2001, 01:41 (Ref:146380)   #8
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately it looks as if Jean is heading out of F1 unless Sato goes somewhere else next year. Pollock has indicated he may be willing to loan Sato to Jordan for next season and that may lead to the end of Alesi's career.

I do hope that he can at least get on the podium in the remaining races. He deserves to end his career on a high.
Old 15 Sep 2001, 08:10 (Ref:146424)   #9
LucaBadoer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Harrogate, N Yorks.
LucaBadoer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Put yourself in Eddie Jordan's shoes - He has to decide whether...

...to sign an old fogy for next season who is soon to retire.

...or to sign one of the best, most promising young drivers around.

It will be sad to see Jean go , but I think that he has to go and let other drivers have a chance of racing in F1...

Bye Jean...

Last edited by LucaBadoer; 15 Sep 2001 at 08:11.
Old 15 Sep 2001, 09:53 (Ref:146455)   #10
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I honestly don't know whether Alesi will be in F1 next year - but I hope he won't. IMO, he's past his best and he has spent the past few years (since about 1998) clogging up a seat that could be used for younger, more promising driver. I've posted this before in a thread about Alesi, but I think he engineered his own downfall by making the silly mistake of signing for Ferrari in the early 90s. I also have my doubts about his consistency - I'm hoping that this is his last year and Jordan will see sense and replace him with Wilson.
Old 15 Sep 2001, 22:42 (Ref:146761)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd be happy to see him go

He has had a great career and could've done even more, but his time has passed. Someone like Justin Wilson deserves an F1 chance, not Alesi who has had too many and conspired to blow most of them
Old 17 Sep 2001, 14:13 (Ref:147411)   #12
The Moon Monkey
Racer

Ireland
The Temples of Syrinx
blimey - strength of feeling against Alesi is immense.

maybe you are all right. Time to move on. It will be a shame though.

Alesi's performance in qualifying was just not good enough....

The last of the old guard looks set to fall on his sword.

LuckyStrike
Old 17 Sep 2001, 14:23 (Ref:147415)   #13
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alesi represents the last of the drivers from an era when drivers were known for their own unique personality. He may be passed his prime, and time for him to retire, but I'm amazed how many of us are so anxious to cast him aside in favor of the next faceless, corporate-speaking contract driver with deep pockets and unproven talent.

I hope Alesi has a seat for as long as he wants one.

Last edited by Neil C; 17 Sep 2001 at 14:24.
Old 17 Sep 2001, 15:12 (Ref:147431)   #14
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
My heart says Alesi should stay in F1 for another year or two. That part of which deals in reality says it's probably time that Jean hung up his helmet and went to drive in Sports Cars or another formula equally worthy of his talents.

I have said in other threads that in my view Sato will be at Jordan next year. Eddie is keen to keep his supply of Honda engines, Craig Pollock is also looking to please Honda. Loaning him to Jordan might just mean keeping Honda for another year or so.

Times change and so do drivers I'm afraid. We have seen the entry of Button, Heidfelt and Raikonnen over the past 18 months, maybe it's time for yet more fresh blood? Personally I would like to see Sato get the chance at Jordan. I saw him close up at this years Festival of Speed at Goodwood and the look of sheer delight on his face while driving the BAR was something I wish I had captured on camera. He endured himself to the crowd and would, in my humble opinion, be good for Formula 1.
Old 17 Sep 2001, 15:52 (Ref:147449)   #15
LucaBadoer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Harrogate, N Yorks.
LucaBadoer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TAKUMA!!!!!!!!!
Old 17 Sep 2001, 16:11 (Ref:147461)   #16
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I were Jean, I would hope that my close personal relationship with EJ would assure my driving for the team next year.

But if Eddie is looking to the future, Jean is not the driver to take him to the top, I'm afraid. Jean does not like all this new technology, it really cramps his style.

Based on performance, Jordan should get the Honda motors over BAR, but Honda also do chassis, and I assume some aero work, on the Lucky Strike car as well. I suppose Sato holds the key. If Pollock is willing to let him go, maybe he knows the motors will go with him. In which case he will try to get BMW power. Didn't some technical manager at BAR recently move to BMW? I seem to recall hearing it somewhere, sometime.

Jean would do well in Sports Cars, and he'd have more fun, too.

Old 17 Sep 2001, 16:20 (Ref:147468)   #17
botsquad
Veteran

botsquad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
jean had a great drive at monza...

but.....

the team really let him down when he came in the the
tires were still in the garage.

on tape, it actually looks kind of funny..seeing
the tire changers running around like pranksters....

obviously..funny it was not.

still luv j.a.

eddie...what can u say...
a remarkable guy.
Old 17 Sep 2001, 16:55 (Ref:147498)   #18
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doesn't anyone remember that Jean Alesi set the fastest time in the race yesterday?

When we were at the Monza race in 1999 and Jean was in the Sauber, he got far bigger, longer lasting and more heartfelt cheers from the tifosi than either Eddie Irvine or Mika Salo in the Ferraris got. He drove that car even in practice as if it was the last lap at Indianapolis, and everyone there appreciated it.

I'm with Neil; I don't think a man who lives for and loves racing the way he does should be replaced by a remote-controlled robot who has been hired because he looks good in the sponsor's clothes and can hang onto a steering wheel and not wreck the car for most of the races. We nead Jean to be an example to the next generation. (Personally I think Enrique Bernoldi is developing in the right direction ... and no matter what the current spin is, I think Kimi is a robot.)
Old 17 Sep 2001, 17:12 (Ref:147505)   #19
botsquad
Veteran

botsquad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
I think Kimi is a robot.)

correct..kimi
or.

Killer Instinct Man Iterface.

is an object-oriented, application-programming interface for 'Brand-X'line of intelligent mobile robots, including Pioneer, Pioneer 2, PeopleBot, MonsterBot, and AmigoBot mobile robots. Written in the C++ language, KIMI uses client-side software for easy, high-performance access to and management of the robot server, as well to the many accessory robot sensors and effectors. Its versatility, flexibility and nice high cheekbones make KIMI an excellent foundation for higher-level robotics applications.
Old 17 Sep 2001, 17:15 (Ref:147509)   #20
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ditto Liz.

Alesi did 363 KPH in Monza !!!
Old 17 Sep 2001, 17:39 (Ref:147517)   #21
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Liz,

The big problem for Jean is that he doesn't put in those performances race after race. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a great driver but, EJ is looking to the future for his team and that HAS to be his prime objective. Whatever the heart says, Jean is really past his prime these days.

As for the Tifosi, it was because he drove for ferrari beforehand!
Old 17 Sep 2001, 20:10 (Ref:147573)   #22
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But Stephen, the guys who were driving for Ferrari NOW didn't get the big cheers! That was my point.

With sufficient motivation and no insistence on using electronic crutches, Alesi could indeed put in those performances race after race. I think he could anyway.

P.S. I think Tommi Maakkenin is a robot too. Harri Rovenpara, I am not sure about him but I think if he is, he needs to report to the service bay for some adjustments.
Old 17 Sep 2001, 20:35 (Ref:147585)   #23
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
That's why Jean Alesi and Nigel Mansell both are held high in the hearts of the Tifosi, they got in a Ferrari and drove it with heart and passion. As you say, the current pilots don't have quite the same attraction, well maybe Rubens does a little, but I take your point.
Old 17 Sep 2001, 21:18 (Ref:147613)   #24
Roy2
Racer

Roy2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More words of wisdom from Liz:

'Kimi is a robot ... Tommi Maak. is a robot'.

Maybe robots like these are the answer these days. I wonder where we can get more of them?

Only in Finland you say? Hear that LIz? There are some bloody good drivers coming out of Finland these days.

Who cares says Liz, they are Finns and that makes them robots and I don't care how fast robots can drive or how much the top teams want them I don't want them. They're pale and have these pale eyes and pale hair and they're cranky and they're faster than my darling Ricardo and they're good with electronic crutches and if my Jean was too then he would be as good as they are but he isn't so I don't want them.

Very good Liz, very insightful, very convincing, very ... what can one say? .... very Liz. And, oh boy, we have thousands and thousands and thousands of similar gems to come. What a treat.
Old 17 Sep 2001, 21:23 (Ref:147617)   #25
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Roy,

Do I detect just a tiny hint of sarcasm there?????????