Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 5 Jan 2013, 15:17 (Ref:3185091)   #51
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sure did.

I'll tell you what, to make it easier, I'll volunteer to do it. I'll meet up with Derek and drive a Rothmans 962. It would be a rotten job, but someone needs to do it.........
Old 5 Jan 2013, 18:46 (Ref:3185161)   #52
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I too would love to see a 'proper' programme about Andy Rouse (surely, it's time someone wrote his biography?).
As for Derek Bell, what an excellent idea. He would be an interesting subject even for the non-hardcore motor-sport enthusiast. A national hero really, winning Le mans umpteen times, plus, didn't he drive for Ferrari in F1 for a while?
Yep, very true... and what's more, he's one of the nicest guys in motor sport.
Old 5 Jan 2013, 18:50 (Ref:3185162)   #53
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What does Andy Rouse do these days? I can find things about him up until the 1990's, but nothing else beyond that.
Old 5 Jan 2013, 21:35 (Ref:3185252)   #54
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Rosputnik View Post
What does Andy Rouse do these days? I can find things about him up until the 1990's, but nothing else beyond that.
Apparently he did appear in The Queen's floatilla up The Thames. I didn't see a floating Sierra Cosworth so presumably he had some sort of relevant boat.
Old 6 Jan 2013, 00:37 (Ref:3185326)   #55
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Rosputnik View Post
Did some Heritage GT rounds with old partner Pete Hall in a Camaro and now lives in a massive house in Berkshire, selling performance parts for Yank Tanks!

http://rousesport.co.uk/
Old 8 Jan 2013, 08:21 (Ref:3186310)   #56
ArnageWRC
Racer

UK-ROI
Nord Ouest Ingleterre
ArnageWRC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd love to see a programme on Vic Elford; his achievements are quite unbelievable. A true 'all rounder'. Last British winner of the Monte, followed a week later by winning the Daytona 24H....... Just 2 of his achievements. Incroyable....
Old 8 Jan 2013, 12:14 (Ref:3186390)   #57
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
I think there's a number of great and talented drivers that we'd love to see profiled in such a programme. However, people like Vic and even Derek Bell don't even register in the general public sphere of interest and the likelihood of such mainstream television productions are very remote. Better to search the offerings of the various DVD publishers (such as Duke) - it's amazing what you can find.
Old 8 Jan 2013, 13:23 (Ref:3186406)   #58
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee View Post
I think there's a number of great and talented drivers that we'd love to see profiled in such a programme. However, people like Vic and even Derek Bell don't even register in the general public sphere of interest and the likelihood of such mainstream television productions are very remote. Better to search the offerings of the various DVD publishers (such as Duke) - it's amazing what you can find.
I suppose you're right John, but one about 'Dinger' should reach beyond just hard-core enthusiasts. Most people have heard of Le Mans and should appreciate what an achievement it is for him to have won that race (amongst so many oter things) so often.
Old 14 Jan 2013, 16:31 (Ref:3189034)   #59
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Still a bit of hope that they will show the third episode

http://www.heraldscotland.com/mobile...227c74fadf11e7

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...lash-fear.html

Old 14 Jan 2013, 18:04 (Ref:3189058)   #60
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRv12 View Post
The Sun article is just repeating what has been speculated on several forums and blogs. No actual evidence that the decision was in any way related to the Saville case.
Old 14 Jan 2013, 19:39 (Ref:3189080)   #61
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
The Sun article is just repeating what has been speculated on several forums and blogs. No actual evidence that the decision was in any way related to the Saville case.
Sorry meant to put a warning before that link, just included because of the photo.
Old 14 Jan 2013, 20:12 (Ref:3189101)   #62
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I guess its fairly understandable, the backlash over that horrid littel man has almost taken over the BBC, and this is still very fresh in the mind to a few families.

Shame, but for me understandable in this day and age.
Old 14 Jan 2013, 21:09 (Ref:3189145)   #63
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Blimey I think there needs to be some perspective here! The worst thing Colin was ever accused of was (perhaps) taking unnecessary risks when flying.

But yes, its a sign of the times...
Old 14 Jan 2013, 21:16 (Ref:3189148)   #64
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRv12 View Post
Sorry meant to put a warning before that link, just included because of the photo.
I wasn't having a go at you, just at the typical tabloid reporting
Old 15 Jan 2013, 01:11 (Ref:3189247)   #65
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Might not be too far from the truth, copyright issues are what I hear, but the WRC is not F1 and clips are fairly easy to source, though could the change of rights holder be the issue (Red Bull not playing ball with BBC?) but the reasoning that perhaps the BBC should not be glorifying the career of a man who killed himself and three others by being irresponsible over Christmas.

That said a decent programme make should address the fact that McRae's inherent irresponsibility and apparent fearlessness is what made him an amazing driver. It would be easy to cover this off in a documentary, give those who want to be critical of him a voice in context. It would make for a great film. Indeed his life would.

We forget these are people, they have flaws, McRae was irresponsible in cars (playing chicken with a train once so the story goes) and in helicopters. So if the BBC are killing what looks to be a great doc for that reason then they need to realise they have lost their way, but then I think we knew that anyway.

I'd like to see a few more made though - perhaps

Nigel Mansell
James Hunt
Mike Hawthorn
Graham Hill
Jim Clark
Richard Seaman

And as an xmas special Lewis Hamilton on Ayrton Senna.
Old 15 Jan 2013, 11:29 (Ref:3189371)   #66
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry but I do think there is a lot of hypocrisy in this 'McRae was irresponsible' stuff. Have you never driven round a bend just a bit too fast in your roadcar? Gone over a blind crest a little too fast without knowing if there were children on the other side? We all do it sometimes. We know we shouldn't but most of the time there are no tragic consequences. In McRae's case the only people who can really tell us what happened are no longer with us.

I like the idea of a series but many of the drivers you mention aren't 'politically correct' enough for the BBC.

James Hunt - famous for his respect of women???
Richard Seaman - drove for Nazis???
Graham Hill - see McRae???
Old 15 Jan 2013, 12:53 (Ref:3189399)   #67
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The issue I think is that the case was resurrected a few months ago or the findings were at least.

Think there has been enough about Senna on the telly recently, would prefer something about Alain.

There are plenty of bonkers people around, but the sad thing is that Colins death was surrounded by not suspicious but maybe irresponsible circumstances.

And for that, and the fact that there have been recent court proceedings, I have every sympathy with the BBC.
Old 15 Jan 2013, 13:56 (Ref:3189422)   #68
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
I may have missed something but I thought the legal question was largely settled? Or maybe the Porcelli family are taking it further?

Its a sensitive matter and probably best not to discuss the details. However basically on the issue of parental consent if you grant someone permission to look after a minor under your care there is no established legal obligation for them to then consult you on every activity they understake with that child. Obviously they have a general duty of care but the worst the inquiry found was that McRae probably flew 'imprudently' - the inquiry itself was unable to determine an actual cause.

Quite a good informed blog on this here:
http://sportslawnews.wordpress.com/2...icopter-crash/

Of course if matters are coming before the courts again I could understand it being dropped.
Old 15 Jan 2013, 14:10 (Ref:3189427)   #69
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i agree with the past 3 posts(oops, before leonidas' most recent one) in one way or another.

on the one hand, i agree with sam because the mcrae story is a great one that could be told in a really well balanced way, with some well informed talking heads and some frankly epic footage.

on the other hand i agree with leonidas and the point about rampant hypocricy. we all take very silly risks on a daily if not weekly basis because we all have different approaches to risk analysis and self-belief. i think the way that is shown in the media and in the mind of people is very interesting - if you put a big clothing, footwear or energy drink manufacturer with a reputation for "extreme" behaviour and sports behind them then it doesn't matter what they're doing and how they do it to many, if not most.

and then i agree with chunder having sympathy with the bbc. chances are, no matter how carefully the programme is produced and no matter how sound the depiction of mcrae's approach to life and risk, there will be a piece on the daily mail website and in the newspaper about some projected outrage about the bbc promoting such behaviour as being praised and recommended. that will dictate the rest of the medias attitude to the programme and completely defeat the point of airing a well-considered documentary in the first place.

a real shame, because he had a fascinating career and a great talent, and like everyone, i'd love to see a show about him.
Old 15 Jan 2013, 14:52 (Ref:3189436)   #70
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
If you look around, there are countless progams on youtube about McRae anyway.

For me, having Hoy in the shopw was just a way of pulling in viewers to a show that most would otherwise ignore.

Its a good policy, but I doubt from these shows we would learn anything new, I certainly didnt from the Moss one or the STewart one, enjoyable though the Moss one was, I could take or leave the chef I am afraid, as he couldnt pronounce Formlear One, and quite why anyone invovled didnt say anything is pathetic to me I'm sorry.
Old 15 Jan 2013, 20:17 (Ref:3189543)   #71
redshoes
Veteran

McRae programme is back in the schedules - BBC2 Sun 27th Jan 10pm
Old 15 Jan 2013, 21:01 (Ref:3189564)   #72
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
McRae programme is back in the schedules - BBC2 Sun 27th Jan 10pm
! I'll set the recorder/get ready to watch it on i-player.
Old 19 Jan 2013, 00:57 (Ref:3191312)   #73
TWRv12
Veteran

Quote:
Olympic hero Sir Chris Hoy tells the story of Britain's first-ever World Rally Champion, Colin McRae. Along with Colin's father, Jimmy - himself a five-time British Rally Champion - Sir Chris visits the scenes of Colin's greatest rally driving triumphs.

From exploring Colin's roots as a Scottish trials bikes champ to driving the route of the Dakar rally over the dunes of the Sahara desert, Sir Chris will re-live McRae's career and be trained to drive sideways by another big fan: American Rally Superstar Ken Block. Sir Chris' final challenge will be to swap his push bike for a monster Subaru Impreza world rally car on a rough-and-ready stage of the RAC Rally, the home of Colin's famous 1995 victory.

Sunday 27 January

10.00-11.00pm

BBC TWO and BBC HD
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/pro...nglegends.html

Old 22 Jan 2013, 16:35 (Ref:3192785)   #74
The Shrew
Rookie

England
Cheshire
The Shrew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
If you look around, there are countless progams on youtube about McRae anyway.

For me, having Hoy in the shopw was just a way of pulling in viewers to a show that most would otherwise ignore.

Its a good policy, but I doubt from these shows we would learn anything new, I certainly didnt from the Moss one or the STewart one, enjoyable though the Moss one was, I could take or leave the chef I am afraid, as he couldnt pronounce Formlear One, and quite why anyone invovled didnt say anything is pathetic to me I'm sorry.
You are a bit of a stato to be fair mate. I thought the programs were pretty good. It makes a change from xfactor type programs flooding my TV

I agree with the Formlear One thing i was thinking the same ha
Old 22 Jan 2013, 17:09 (Ref:3192796)   #75
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shrew View Post
It makes a change from xfactor type programs flooding my TV....
And therein lies the truth - for us.