Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 25 Apr 2020, 11:36 (Ref:3972795)   #26
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Sad in the sense that so many long time touring car fans and Australian Motorsport fans, who’ve become disillusioned with where the once great ATCC has gone, just get labelled as “VASC haters” for having an opinion that goes against the Supercars gospel

For too long anyone in this forum who dares to criticise Supercars gets howled down by certain members for seemingly not following the “everything to do with Supercars is awesome” guidelines.....

Couldn’t agree more.

Most of the so called haters on here are fans who just want the category to survive and thrive but we’re not gonna pat Supercars on the back and tell them they’re doing the right thing if they won’t make the changes sorely needed so the category can have a long term future.

Part of me wouldn’t mind if the category fell over if only to force a hard reset so the category can change and adapt to the present time. There’s no hate in that just a lot of frustration and disillusionment.
Old 26 Apr 2020, 00:02 (Ref:3972877)   #27
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
GreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Part of me wouldn’t mind if the category fell over if only to force a hard reset so the category can change and adapt to the present time.
Frankly, I think this is on the cards.

I think a clean sheet of paper technically, new people with new ideas, is what might be best for the long term. Putting Supercars on life support will only prolong its death throes, although if it can make the bridge to the new that would be useful.

Hard or soft, the reset has to happen.

The transition from touring cars to what we have today reminds me of some of the management theory I learnt back in the day - particularly dangers associated with making a sequence of incremental changes, without stepping back to look at the bigger picture - when eventually you do, you find that you are in a blind alley.

CV19 may have done all concerned a favour - crystallising an unsustainable situation, and making radical change mandatory. The danger is that another incremental change is seen as the way out - for example the TA2 option. The big picture suggest that a more fundamental re-think is what is required for long term sustainability.

My 2c anyway.
Old 26 Apr 2020, 00:31 (Ref:3972883)   #28
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Sad in the sense that so many long time touring car fans and Australian Motorsport fans, who’ve become disillusioned with where the once great ATCC has gone, just get labelled as “VASC haters” for having an opinion that goes against the Supercars gospel

For too long anyone in this forum who dares to criticise Supercars gets howled down by certain members for seemingly not following the “everything to do with Supercars is awesome” guidelines.....
Well said...
Old 26 Apr 2020, 01:21 (Ref:3972894)   #29
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Great post and well worded.
Old 26 Apr 2020, 03:29 (Ref:3972900)   #30
Speedy400
Racer

Speedy400 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

👍🏼✔️
Old 26 Apr 2020, 03:33 (Ref:3972901)   #31
Speedy400
Racer

Also

I love Supercars. It’s the biggest and best show in town.
I don’t miss a race... but it’s not (no longer?) perfect and even the organisers are aware, hence why they are making changes.

It’s had a real good run but sadly BIG changes are needed.
CV19 whilst nobodies fault- this will be the final straw.
Old 26 Apr 2020, 05:27 (Ref:3972914)   #32
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy400 View Post
Also

I don’t miss a race... but it’s not (no longer?) perfect and even the organisers are aware, hence why they are making changes.
What changes have they made or are known to be making?
Old 26 Apr 2020, 05:40 (Ref:3972916)   #33
Speedy400
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
What changes have they made or are known to be making?

They have been trying to cut costs on engine rebuilds and tyre banks etc. small changes so far.
Old 26 Apr 2020, 12:41 (Ref:3972951)   #34
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
They have been trying to cut costs on engine rebuilds and tyre banks etc. small changes so far.
Too little at this point of time but i guess its something.

The landscape will and should change going forward.

Time will tell.
Old 27 Apr 2020, 02:45 (Ref:3973020)   #35
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Still pushing buttons I see to see what reaction you get.
Would be good if some buttons were pushed, or more ideally keyboard keys pressed, in regards to administering previous SC Fantasy champs, or even just a casual response
Old 27 Apr 2020, 03:53 (Ref:3973027)   #36
Jack65
Racer

Jack65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The most concerning aspect is the spin being put out that the series can prosper without manufacturer support. All the good series around the world have manufacturer involvement. Reintroducing V8s in 1993 was the right thing, but 25 years later the world has moved on. Great as they sound, they have no market relevance to today's mainstream market. And yet some steadfastly refuse to acknowledge this. At some stage the bullet is going need to be bitten to get back to market relevant cars, otherwise the series will just wither on the vine.

And even when change is desperately required and acknowledged, Supercars manages to botch it. Witness the reduction in aero over the off-season. Barely a third of what should have come off did, and the gurney flap which creates the instability for following cars remains, so there will be no increase in passing leading to more boring racing resulting in smaller crowds and tv numbers.
Old 27 Apr 2020, 13:22 (Ref:3973125)   #37
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are no suitable road cars to use that would appeal to the fan base of SC or at least I can't think of any. Maybe knock up some replicas of Toranas, GTHO's & Chargers and use them, the chassis already exist so it couldn't be too hard to do. We could also throw in a few Monaros as well for variety.
Old 27 Apr 2020, 15:36 (Ref:3973145)   #38
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
There are no suitable road cars to use that would appeal to the fan base of SC or at least I can't think of any. Maybe knock up some replicas of Toranas, GTHO's & Chargers and use them, the chassis already exist so it couldn't be too hard to do. We could also throw in a few Monaros as well for variety.
We already have Touring Car Masters successfully covering that category.
https://www.touringcarmasters.com.au/
Old 27 Apr 2020, 23:59 (Ref:3973244)   #39
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Also

It’s had a real good run but sadly BIG changes are needed.
CV19 whilst nobodies fault- this will be the final straw.
You are right, but how will that destabilise other categories?

How many TCR and S5000 cars (which are only marginally faster than a Supercar around Albert Park ) will remain parked in the shed?

Things start to be looking like Procar Mk 2.

Not intending to sound pessimistic, but curious how a relatively fledgling set of series might survive?
Old 28 Apr 2020, 00:17 (Ref:3973249)   #40
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Work on this concept
http://minimusclecars.com.au
Old 28 Apr 2020, 00:36 (Ref:3973255)   #41
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
We already have Touring Car Masters successfully covering that category.
https://www.touringcarmasters.com.au/
Never let something like that get in the way of SC's if they wanted to do it.
Old 28 Apr 2020, 04:51 (Ref:3973270)   #42
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Never let something like that get in the way of SC's if they wanted to do it.
I enjoy the TCM and would hate to see SC try and take it to the next level for their own egos, especially given the current costs of TCM aint exactly clubbie budgets!
Old 29 Apr 2020, 19:41 (Ref:3973688)   #43
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack65 View Post
Reintroducing V8s in 1993 was the right thing,
Why wasn't BMW invited to stay with a suitably stroked-out E34 540i?

Similarly Nissan could have produced a V8-powered four-door Skyline at TEGA's expense, using the V8 from the Nissan Cima luxury car.

Alienating committed manufacturers seems very stupid indeed.
Old 29 Apr 2020, 23:17 (Ref:3973711)   #44
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Why wasn't BMW invited to stay with a suitably stroked-out E34 540i?

Similarly Nissan could have produced a V8-powered four-door Skyline at TEGA's expense, using the V8 from the Nissan Cima luxury car.

Alienating committed manufacturers seems very stupid indeed.
Mike Raymond did want Nissan and BMW to stay involved
Old 30 Apr 2020, 00:39 (Ref:3973715)   #45
Jack65
Racer

Jack65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ford and Holden were the protagonists for excluding other manufacturers. When the category was formulated in the early 90s, they held a collective 50% market share, the majority of it locally produced. How times have changed.
Old 30 Apr 2020, 03:51 (Ref:3973727)   #46
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
I enjoy the TCM and would hate to see SC try and take it to the next level for their own egos, especially given the current costs of TCM aint exactly clubbie budgets!
MR Story spent upwards of 500k on the new Tru_Blu for TCM. A ridiculous spend for what is not a genuine historic vehicle.
Running costs can be contained for those who do not wish to go down that route with the generic engine I know, but you will only run at the front at the start of the reverse grid races.
Old 30 Apr 2020, 04:01 (Ref:3973728)   #47
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71 View Post
Work on this concept
http://minimusclecars.com.au

Thats all we need, another category trying to get a piece of the TCM/Tranzam/TA2 pie.
Old 30 Apr 2020, 16:24 (Ref:3973825)   #48
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juarez Jed View Post
MR Story spent upwards of 500k on the new Tru_Blu for TCM. A ridiculous spend for what is not a genuine historic vehicle.
Running costs can be contained for those who do not wish to go down that route with the generic engine I know, but you will only run at the front at the start of the reverse grid races.
Wow. What is he earning?!!!!!
Old 1 May 2020, 13:58 (Ref:3973967)   #49
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juarez Jed View Post
If he can afford it why should it offend you? People spend money in huge amounts to do all sorts of ridiculous stuff especially when it comes to cars & boats.
Old 1 May 2020, 23:07 (Ref:3974031)   #50
tobyobi
Rookie

tobyobi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If he can afford it why should it offend you? People spend money in huge amounts to do all sorts of ridiculous stuff especially when it comes to cars & boats.
I don’t find it offensive, people can spend whatever they like.

The problem comes when money can be thrown at the problem, and you end up with everyone else either losing or going broke.