Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 19 Nov 2018, 11:25 (Ref:3864199)   #2426
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
That's another good reason not to go to the Racing Car Show in January.
If it wasn't for the fact that it's the only chance I get to catch up with old motorsport mates, and I generally get a free ticket I'd have stopped going years ago.
What's also annoying is that as my wife has a Home Baking business we visit a food packaging exhibition also held at the NEC every January. That show is always free to enter, and I'm sure there's no car parking charge either. Obviously this is yet another income stream for Haymarket...
Old 19 Nov 2018, 11:43 (Ref:3864206)   #2427
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
.............. so anyway if Verstappen had used his brain for once, he would have won that race rather than finish second...............................
Old 19 Nov 2018, 11:43 (Ref:3864205)   #2428
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
If it wasn't for the fact that it's the only chance I get to catch up with old motorsport mates, and I generally get a free ticket I'd have stopped going years ago.
What's also annoying is that as my wife has a Home Baking business we visit a food packaging exhibition also held at the NEC every January. That show is always free to enter, and I'm sure there's no car parking charge either. Obviously this is yet another income stream for Haymarket...
I think it depends on whether the exhibitors are prepared to cover the parking costs either completely or in part.

For B2B events with a targeted audience and little 'tourists on a day out' traffic they might well be prepared to cover the cost and write it off as a business expense.

For events that might be more likely to attract a large non-revenue generating element the motivation for offering free or even subsidised parking is less clear.

In addition the unspoken potential for limiting the effects of those with light fingers by discouraging their interest in the event may be a factor?

Or, as you say, it might simply be an attempt to augment the revenue stream. Probably by the NEC in the first instance.
Old 19 Nov 2018, 13:27 (Ref:3864235)   #2429
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
At last someone "appreciates" CG, actual boss of Renault Nissan who is in troubles. Unfortunately, its not about the poor quality of the cars or the diesel gate but its a good start. Lets hope…
Old 19 Nov 2018, 13:37 (Ref:3864236)   #2430
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
At last someone "appreciates" CG, actual boss of Renault Nissan who is in troubles. Unfortunately, its not about the poor quality of the cars or the diesel gate but its a good start. Lets hope…
Glad I haven’t got shares in ‘The Alliance’......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46259420
Old 19 Nov 2018, 13:50 (Ref:3864241)   #2431
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So wasn't that German F3 girl lucky at Macau. Also the photographer that the car appeared to fall on. Makes you realise that at over 170 mph you cover distances in the blink of an eye.
Pleased to see that all involved not too seriously hurt, it seems.
Old 19 Nov 2018, 13:54 (Ref:3864243)   #2432
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One very very lucky young lady....could have been so much worse for her and bystanders
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 19 Nov 2018, 14:05 (Ref:3864244)   #2433
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Glad I haven’t got shares in ‘The Alliance’......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46259420
Well, subject to how this pans out, one has to observe that if one might somehow be manipulating things in one's favour in somewhat dodgy ways from a senior position of control it is never a good idea give up that control.

I recall a former boss of mine, a long time trusted manager of a particularly profitable operation within a family business (not his family), who said something that seemed rather strange at a small leaving gathering when he and his wife decided to take on a pub instead.

It went something like "One day you will be sorry to have known me". Or something like that.

One particular part of the business happened to involve cash collected weekly from public use coin in the slot office machines.

It was noted that after he left the cash take went up quite significantly.

Within a year he was in court and then in jail.

He was a nice bloke and generous towards staff with what people assumed was his own money but was probably raked off from the cash flow.

I think he would have been able to ease out of the situation possibly unnoticed had he had time but the pub option, on which his wife was rather keen, came up very suddenly and gave him no time to cover his tracks. I don't think anyone else knew what he was doing at the time.
Old 19 Nov 2018, 15:00 (Ref:3864252)   #2434
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
.............. so anyway if Verstappen had used his brain for once, he would have won that race rather than finish second...............................

Bloomin' 'eck, Peter, I didn't think your reactions were that slow......

You're right, of course
Old 19 Nov 2018, 15:08 (Ref:3864253)   #2435
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've been keeping my powder dry.
Old 19 Nov 2018, 15:30 (Ref:3864259)   #2436
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just watched Peter Auto s video onboard of the AMC Javelin,I heard the car didnt come back to great.Was wondering what happened if anything.
Staying with PA I noticed that Van Riet won all the 60's races which is quite a feat.The 512 Ferrari of Monteverde/Pearson was quite unreliable for a lot of the season.Good vid of a CSL driven by PBE on Youtube.Just thought Id say some stuff you know.👍
Old 19 Nov 2018, 16:01 (Ref:3864262)   #2437
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
Just watched Peter Auto s video onboard of the AMC Javelin,I heard the car didnt come back to great.Was wondering what happened if anything.
Staying with PA I noticed that Van Riet won all the 60's races which is quite a feat.The 512 Ferrari of Monteverde/Pearson was quite unreliable for a lot of the season.Good vid of a CSL driven by PBE on Youtube.Just thought Id say some stuff you know.��
The fact that the 512 is campaigned at all is to be applauded. It is one of the best sounding cars at the PA events. There have been two on occasions- even better..... (BTW my understanding is that the CM car is not raced if the conditions are wet.) The AMC Javelin is a very welcome left field addition to the HTC races, but it was looking distinctly second hand in parc ferme at Imola- having been dumped there unceremoniously by a rescue truck! Quite a lot of damage, but no idea where or how it happened, but it was wet....
Old 19 Nov 2018, 16:33 (Ref:3864271)   #2438
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Bloomin' 'eck, Peter, I didn't think your reactions were that slow......

You're right, of course
You can't use something you don't have.
Old 19 Nov 2018, 20:55 (Ref:3864322)   #2439
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Billy Monger on tonight BBC2
Old 20 Nov 2018, 05:39 (Ref:3864411)   #2440
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
You get a lot of dross on MSN, but very occasionally you can learn something. For instance a page this morning about twin-engined cars. Some familiar, but several I'd never heard of....

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/...tandhp#image=1
Old 20 Nov 2018, 08:07 (Ref:3864418)   #2441
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
You get a lot of dross on MSN, but very occasionally you can learn something. For instance a page this morning about twin-engined cars. Some familiar, but several I'd never heard of....

An interesting link Mike, thanks for that. I was expecting all of the twin engined cars to have been done to give four wheel drive with an engine at each end, so some of those (the Saab especially) were quite a surprise!
I remember the Twini & Moke examples, and in a similar vein there was an autocross special back in the 70's called The Buffi-Mowog with an Austin 1300 engine front & rear. If I remember correctly, to get around the clutch & gear synchronisation problems this used a manual transmission at one end (front?) and automatic at the other!
Old 20 Nov 2018, 08:18 (Ref:3864420)   #2442
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Inflation - cost of parking at the NEC has recently gone up to £16 per day, think it was 'just' £12 in the summer. Only £12 pre-paid though .
I go to a near by railway station and catch a train to the NEC, free to park and £2 return ticket earlier this year.
Old 20 Nov 2018, 08:22 (Ref:3864424)   #2443
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The fact that the 512 is campaigned at all is to be applauded. It is one of the best sounding cars at the PA events. There have been two on occasions- even better..... (BTW my understanding is that the CM car is not raced if the conditions are wet.) The AMC Javelin is a very welcome left field addition to the HTC races, but it was looking distinctly second hand in parc ferme at Imola- having been dumped there unceremoniously by a rescue truck! Quite a lot of damage, but no idea where or how it happened, but it was wet....
The AMC Javelin I saw on Youtube going straight twowards a Capri with the Capri bitting a kerb and veering towards the AMC so that could a reason,Im curious as its a fanyltastic and brutish looking car which I like.👍
The 512 is an incredible car that I got to see last year for the first time.WOW
Shame that over the years those types of cars have decreased although I did get to see Graham Turners 917K at Brands GP for a MSV club meet with Bernies V8.Quite a surpeise aeing it in appaling conditions.Starting to make my historic racing plan but its quite hard with the clashes,
Old 20 Nov 2018, 08:34 (Ref:3864426)   #2444
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Billy Monger on tonight BBC2
Watched it. He's a remarkable character. I think the comments from the surgeons towards the end said it all.
Old 20 Nov 2018, 08:39 (Ref:3864427)   #2445
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
I go to a near by railway station and catch a train to the NEC, free to park and £2 return ticket earlier this year.
Normally I go to Melbourne CBD by parking the car in the local (free) station car park and travel with a $5 inner suburbs train day pass.
I had to deliver some bulky stuff into the CBD the other day which would not have been train friendly. So I took the car and parked it in a multi-storey car park. Had my meeting and and a coffee, returned to the the car three and a half hours later to be presented with a parking fee due $85 ticket. Had I gone over 4 hours it would have been $115! Not happy. Wont be doing that again.
Old 20 Nov 2018, 09:07 (Ref:3864431)   #2446
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
When I flew to Faro with BA from Gatwick last month the car park for 5 days cost more than the flight..... OK, I booked short term as needed to get home quick and the parking is right opposite the arrivals hall. Long term would have been cheaper but would have wasted a lot of time!

NEC is a pain from here by road or train. Latter involves changes and usually takes 5hrs. Driving via A14 etc also slow to stopped, especially with long term road works still in place.

Having realised that to renew my race licence a Stress ECG is needed again, I’ve booked to have that done at Silverstone on a Saturday, as half a chance I will get there and back without too much hassle...... (And it’s cheaper )
Old 20 Nov 2018, 09:22 (Ref:3864433)   #2447
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
When I flew to Faro with BA from Gatwick last month the car park for 5 days cost more than the flight..... OK, I booked short term as needed to get home quick and the parking is right opposite the arrivals hall. Long term would have been cheaper but would have wasted a lot of time!

NEC is a pain from here by road or train. Latter involves changes and usually takes 5hrs. Driving via A14 etc also slow to stopped, especially with long term road works still in place.

Having realised that to renew my race licence a Stress ECG is needed again, I’ve booked to have that done at Silverstone on a Saturday, as half a chance I will get there and back without too much hassle...... (And it’s cheaper )
When the Motor Show moved to the NEC in (I think)n 1980 I looked at going by train from Norwich, but it involved going down to London & then up to Birmingham. It wasn't possible to do a worthwhile day trip. It doesn't sound as though things have improved in the intervening near 40 years! The NEC might be in the middle of the country but it's more like the middle of nowhere.

I was shocked when a friend told me last week that parking for the classic car show was £16!
Old 20 Nov 2018, 09:40 (Ref:3864435)   #2448
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
An interesting link Mike, thanks for that. I was expecting all of the twin engined cars to have been done to give four wheel drive with an engine at each end, so some of those (the Saab especially) were quite a surprise!
I remember the Twini & Moke examples, and in a similar vein there was an autocross special back in the 70's called The Buffi-Mowog with an Austin 1300 engine front & rear. If I remember correctly, to get around the clutch & gear synchronisation problems this used a manual transmission at one end (front?) and automatic at the other!
I remember the Buffi-Mowog- well the name anyway! That Saab must have sounded fantastic. As I said, every once in a while you can learn something from the internet, which is good as my life motto has always been “Never stop learning”

Good to see that one or two of the prototypes are now in manufacturers collections....
Old 20 Nov 2018, 09:57 (Ref:3864438)   #2449
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
When I was racing the oval circuits someone had welded two Austin 1100s front halves together to entertain the crowds between races. The two drivers could drive the "thing" fast at incredible angles and spin 360 degrees instantly. They obviously took a fair time to learn how to do it !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 20 Nov 2018, 10:31 (Ref:3864448)   #2450
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:

The Bimotore wasn't the only twin-engined Alfa - I think there was a twin-engined Alfasud Sprint, but as I've mentioned elsewhere on here recently, the recently-departed Mike Buckler built a fearsome twin V6-powered Alfa 164. I've no idea if it has survived, it went through at least one hedge!
Closed Thread