Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 7 Mar 2013, 14:51 (Ref:3215575)   #26
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Seen it.
Old 7 Mar 2013, 15:47 (Ref:3215598)   #27
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Seen it.
It's not just about you, Peter.....

Old 7 Mar 2013, 16:01 (Ref:3215604)   #28
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Lol, the FIA bit is being discussed in another thread, prompted by the info you posted.

Have you spotted the error re the fuel clause?
Old 7 Mar 2013, 23:12 (Ref:3215790)   #29
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Interesting development?

I'm guessing MRL hope to entice more overseas cars if everyone's running to FIA approved status around Europe?

I see the cut off point has been raised in the other thread. Currently it is Dec31 1985 for Gr.A, I know, but to avoid losing 1986 spec Rovers in 2014 it might be easier to extend the cut off by another year or upto the day before the Sierra Bosworth and M3 were homologated so the spirit of the series is maintained?

Who or what is the Australian reference about in the press release btw?!
Old 8 Mar 2013, 06:13 (Ref:3215852)   #30
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Interesting development?

I'm guessing MRL hope to entice more overseas cars if everyone's running to FIA approved status around Europe?
Lest we forget the Peter Auto CER race at Spa is running to the FIA rules.

Quote:
I see the cut off point has been raised in the other thread. Currently it is Dec31 1985 for Gr.A, I know, but to avoid losing 1986 spec Rovers in 2014 it might be easier to extend the cut off by another year or upto the day before the Sierra Bosworth and M3 were homologated so the spirit of the series is maintained?
A good idea but reading the PR it seems that the dispensation for '86 will only be for 2013. If so at least two cars will need to be restored to 85 which is not how they originally competed.

Another point is the cut off for Gp 1, 1b etc. The recently auctioned PMS Rover was in 1982 guise (I know they said it only ran in '81). This was how it ran as a spare after Rex G stuffed his car (I assume). So, With that in '82 spec I currently don't know which spec I should build mine to. The '82 Championship winning spec (we have more evidence that it is the Lovett chassis) or the class winning '81 spec?

Quote:
Who or what is the Australian reference about in the press release btw?!
No idea.
Old 8 Mar 2013, 10:35 (Ref:3215940)   #31
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Er isnt this what CTCRC had been trying to do for years with precious little support which is why I have nowhere really to race my 1970 car now as Pre 74's is no more as I am NOT going standard brakes, road going or FIA as its too dangerous and silly IMHO. CSCC and Bernie and a few more BHP and less kilos here we come! Don't really get this historic scene sometimes I really don't.
Old 8 Mar 2013, 13:57 (Ref:3216024)   #32
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Lest we forget the Peter Auto CER race at Spa is running to the FIA rules.

A good idea but reading the PR it seems that the dispensation for '86 will only be for 2013. If so at least two cars will need to be restored to 85 which is not how they originally competed.

Another point is the cut off for Gp 1, 1b etc. The recently auctioned PMS Rover was in 1982 guise (I know they said it only ran in '81). This was how it ran as a spare after Rex G stuffed his car (I assume). So, With that in '82 spec I currently don't know which spec I should build mine to. The '82 Championship winning spec (we have more evidence that it is the Lovett chassis) or the class winning '81 spec?

No idea.
Is the homologation cut off date MRL's decision or FIA's?

If it's the former and Ken has any influence at all I would've thought it will be possible to move it forward a year for anti Gr1 and GrA?

Your car's interesting Peter... Lovett was class winner in '81 but I thought Allam was class winner in 82 with Percy overall champ? Does this mean Jeff raced yours in '82?

If it was still in Lovett's hands in 82 it had a very combative season!!

If you can tempt Dave King out with his Capri then you'll be able to recreate a few scrapes the two cars had!
Old 9 Mar 2013, 14:46 (Ref:3216385)   #33
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Lol, yes I think I may have my wires crossed here. I claim age and rust.
Old 9 Mar 2013, 17:50 (Ref:3216421)   #34
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Lol, yes I think I may have my wires crossed here. I claim age and rust.
That's ok for the car but what's your excuse?

Seriously though, in the interests of ensuring the 'right' cars are continually attracted, it would be daft not to tweek homologation permissions to ensure the cars we already know of aren't turned away, especially if it' car owners who have supported the series from its inception and are keen to see it take
off...
Old 25 Apr 2013, 11:03 (Ref:3239239)   #35
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Donington entry is on the MRL site.

Some interesting cars across the entry list, but it is a shame that more Group 1 and Group A cars couldn't be tempted out.

Where's Bert Smeets for example?!
Old 25 Apr 2013, 12:11 (Ref:3239258)   #36
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Bert's doing a Belgian Championship I believe.
Old 6 May 2013, 07:23 (Ref:3243389)   #37
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Spoke to someone on Saturday who thinks they.might have seen a motul liveried 635 running in some testing last Tuesday? Was this Donington testing?
Old 6 May 2013, 17:45 (Ref:3243619)   #38
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Spoke to someone on Saturday who thinks they.might have seen a motul liveried 635 running in some testing last Tuesday? Was this Donington testing?
No idea, James. There are 635s entered for Spa Classic but all from mainland Europe. A Brit 528i though!
Old 21 May 2013, 10:25 (Ref:3251029)   #39
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
No idea, James. There are 635s entered for Spa Classic but all from mainland Europe. A Brit 528i though!
Well now, a 635 has been entered by a Duncan Arthurs for Brands and it is apparently red and white....

Could be the car seen out testing at Donington. Wonder if it's the French one that was for sale last autumn. Not Florent's but another one?

Did Duncan used to be a Rover man?

If it's a pukka Group A car it will be a major boost for the series
Old 22 May 2013, 13:49 (Ref:3251669)   #40
Hunter1300
Racer

Hunter1300 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What would be great is if we could find cars like these......
thou its one thing finding them its another trying to convince the owners to bring them out to play......

for those who are a tad interested its a group 5 fiesta 1100

BDJ 1098cc 10500rpm producing a claimed 150bhp!!!!!

Large ratchet strap required to wrap round the engine to try an hold all the bits together im guessing....... 'cos if that goes wrong its gonna be like a bomb going off.

http://www.fiesta-mk1.co.uk/magazine...1_1979_pg1.php

Attached Thumbnails
Fiesta group5.jpg   fiesta  group 5 3.png   fiesta group5 2.png  

Old 28 May 2013, 10:00 (Ref:3254425)   #41
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Don't think the 635 that was entered at Brands ran did it?
Old 28 May 2013, 15:01 (Ref:3254538)   #42
AntA35
Rookie

United Kingdom
The Midlands
AntA35 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Don't think the 635 that was entered at Brands ran did it?
It certainly turned up, I think it may have done a couple of laps of practice, but had problems...

It is the car we thought, the Motul liveried Garage du Bac car. Looked fabulous, but a shame it didn't want to work.
Old 28 May 2013, 21:03 (Ref:3254719)   #43
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntA35 View Post
It certainly turned up, I think it may have done a couple of laps of practice, but had problems...

It is the car we thought, the Motul liveried Garage du Bac car. Looked fabulous, but a shame it didn't want to work.
Thanks mate, shame it didn't want to know, but I'm guessing it won't have had that much running in recent times?

Hope the owners can get it up and running for the next event.

If anyone took any shots of it puleeeese put some up.
Old 29 May 2013, 08:40 (Ref:3254885)   #44
AntA35
Rookie

United Kingdom
The Midlands
AntA35 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Thanks mate, shame it didn't want to know, but I'm guessing it won't have had that much running in recent times?

Hope the owners can get it up and running for the next event.

If anyone took any shots of it puleeeese put some up.
I don't know if this will work... however, here goes...

Taken by Duncan Wiltshire:

Old 29 May 2013, 10:29 (Ref:3254934)   #45
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntA35 View Post
I don't know if this will work... however, here goes...

Taken by Duncan Wiltshire:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Very grateful Anthony!!
Old 2 Jun 2013, 20:39 (Ref:3256825)   #46
BILTEL
Racer

England
Brackley, centre of the Earth
BILTEL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh now that is NICE!!!
ex Starion #20
Now building BMW 535i
for the 360, CTCRC Pre 93's
Old 6 Jun 2013, 13:28 (Ref:3258510)   #47
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Call it a bit of innocent mischief, but I've been thinking about what might be on the entry for next year......

If anyone has any more ideas, or can say for certain something isn't going to happen then please say!

Rover Vitesses:
Bert Smeets, TWR 019
Tim Morley TWR 020
The Williams's (in TWR 017?)
Ken Clarke's Hepolite TWR 003 (maybe with Steve Soper at the wheel on occasion?!)
Ken's customers Marlboro TWR 001

Nigel Garrett's Rouse ICS car

Peter Mallett's Daily Express TWR Group 1 3500

Other cars:
TWR XJS

The Garage du Bac BMW 635
+1 other 635? Jody Halse could be tempted?

The Hughes Celica Supra ex circuit/ex rally car (can't recall who owns it, might be Nigel Garrett?)

Giedo Schief's Belga Group 1 Capri

Patrick Watts Metro Turbo

Nigel Melvin's Jon Dooley Alfetta GTV6? not sure work has started on that yet though!

Jim Morris's G1 Golf GTi

At least one GrA Escort RS1600i

The John Young ex Vince Woodman Capri 3400

Any Batmobiles

Paul Knapfield's Stuart Graham Camaro?

Anthony Robinson's Dolly sprint

John Edwards Dolly Sprint

+2 more that I think Ken is preparing?

Any others I've missed folks?
Old 6 Jun 2013, 20:48 (Ref:3258719)   #48
Hunter1300
Racer

Hunter1300 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Call it a bit of innocent mischief, but I've been thinking about what might be on the entry for next year......

If anyone has any more ideas, or can say for certain something isn't going to happen then please say!

Rover Vitesses:
Bert Smeets, TWR 019
Tim Morley TWR 020
The Williams's (in TWR 017?)
Ken Clarke's Hepolite TWR 003 (maybe with Steve Soper at the wheel on occasion?!)
Ken's customers Marlboro TWR 001

Nigel Garrett's Rouse ICS car

Peter Mallett's Daily Express TWR Group 1 3500

Other cars:
TWR XJS

The Garage du Bac BMW 635
+1 other 635? Jody Halse could be tempted?

The Hughes Celica Supra ex circuit/ex rally car (can't recall who owns it, might be Nigel Garrett?)

Giedo Schief's Belga Group 1 Capri

Patrick Watts Metro Turbo

Nigel Melvin's Jon Dooley Alfetta GTV6? not sure work has started on that yet though!

Jim Morris's G1 Golf GTi

At least one GrA Escort RS1600i

The John Young ex Vince Woodman Capri 3400

Any Batmobiles

Paul Knapfield's Stuart Graham Camaro?

Anthony Robinson's Dolly sprint

John Edwards Dolly Sprint

+2 more that I think Ken is preparing?

Any others I've missed folks?
The NSU won't be there well not in my ownership I dont think as its going up for sale early next year.... Probably going to auction at Essen in march and the privateer zakspeed escort won't be ready from restoration Until towards the end of next year.
Old 6 Jun 2013, 22:09 (Ref:3258742)   #49
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I think the crux of the problem is unibodied cars that when bent can be beyond repair unless reshelled and then how can you call it an original but values at astronomic prices. If I had a genuine car worth £100k plus there is no way I would risk it and I dont think I am alone.
Old 7 Jun 2013, 06:24 (Ref:3258825)   #50
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Don't forget there's the Ex Patrick Motorsport Gp 1 SD1 out there too.

Al, your point may have some relevance to the general situation but in terms of this thread it's a bit ot. Don't forget there's the other series run by the HSCC plus there's also the nascent series being run by CER (Spa three weeks ago). All of which are seeking original cars and gaining reasonable grids. Frankly it seems these series have traction, which is why people are building the cars.

As someone pointed out, the Garage Du Bac BMW is being brought back, there are four Group A Rovers, ready now and two due out next year. There are various Group 1 cars being bought for restoration. I think next year is looking good for these cars and whether they are driven carefully or raced is for the owners to decide.