Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 9 Sep 2018, 13:31 (Ref:3849034)   #126
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
One of these John?

A much better idea than the banger race I just watched.
Yes wasn't that terrible? Two cars trashed and another couple needing major bodywork.

On another point, it's strange not to hear Chris Ward mentioned in any races.
Old 9 Sep 2018, 16:49 (Ref:3849047)   #127
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
St Mary's is a ****ing joke, has been for years, but seeing brand new hot rod cars that look and perform nothing like anything that raced in period get hammered and smashed up is a discredit to historic motorsport, Goodwood, and genuine enthusiasts of certain cars everywhere.

The RAC TT isn't much better, all the nice stuff was out on Friday.
Old 9 Sep 2018, 17:39 (Ref:3849051)   #128
Lorrainehnsn
Rookie

Lorrainehnsn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello, I would love to see my fathers "tatty" turner again! Gordon Unsworth was my dad and built the "tatty" with Alan Smith
Old 9 Sep 2018, 19:32 (Ref:3849057)   #129
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Zef
It’s like the 90 you show

BGH 21 did South African GP and we figure it would be in top half of field!
Old 9 Sep 2018, 19:36 (Ref:3849058)   #130
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
About time the top cars in each catagory were invited.
It will never happen but would make it a better show
Old 9 Sep 2018, 19:45 (Ref:3849059)   #131
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I'm sure it'd be competitive if Mr Jollys feathers were ruffled before, rather than mid race
Old 9 Sep 2018, 19:52 (Ref:3849060)   #132
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Goodwood appears to post nothing but crash videos which is rather disturbing. Was there no racing this year and it just degenerated into a crash fest or are they being no better than a tabloid rag?

In the crash involving the Barracuda at the chicane it's rather worrying to see red flags and SC flags fluttering at the same time as if no-one had a clue what was going on. Such a high price event deserves better organisation!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 9 Sep 2018, 20:24 (Ref:3849063)   #133
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
They are sponsored by the torygraph, up there with the sun and mail for biased propaganda

Oops, wrong forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Goodwood appears to post nothing but crash videos which is rather disturbing. Was there no racing this year and it just degenerated into a crash fest or are they being no better than a tabloid rag?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Twatatalk
Old 9 Sep 2018, 20:28 (Ref:3849065)   #134
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Could only watch the live stream but really enjoyed the racing, must make the effort to get there sometime.

The racing, drifting and action reminded me why I got into this mad business, we may have come a long way technically but we have lost something along the way.

Not sure what the "purists" don't like about this?
Old 9 Sep 2018, 20:55 (Ref:3849070)   #135
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
St Mary's is a ****ing joke, has been for years, but seeing brand new hot rod cars that look and perform nothing like anything that raced in period get hammered and smashed up is a discredit to historic motorsport, Goodwood, and genuine enthusiasts of certain cars everywhere.

The RAC TT isn't much better, all the nice stuff was out on Friday.
Trouble is Joe, you know stuff that the normal punter wouldn’t. Interesting that the fact that a lot of the cars were ‘new build’ was openly discussed by the commentary team! I see the red Galaxie was excluded for ‘contravention of MSA regulation C1.1.15’, which doesn’t seem to exist in my blue book. Maybe it was C1.1.5, which refers to ‘departing from the standard of a reasonably competent driver’......

As for the repeated crash videos, Max, seems to be the way they operate the YouTube channel nowadays.

I enjoyed Troy Corser’s handling of the 1929 BMW R57 ‘kompressor’- beating all the 1950s bikes- and his cool slowing down lap. Presume it has a hand throttle! Wonder if any of the bikes are new build?
Old 10 Sep 2018, 04:24 (Ref:3849135)   #136
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Aren't the Nortons "New build?"

The Studebaker was excluded for technical reasons.
Old 10 Sep 2018, 05:00 (Ref:3849139)   #137
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I don't know, Peter- That's why I asked. My bad on the smiley....

Quote:
The Studebaker was excluded for technical reasons.

Ah, nothing on the results sheets but noticed it was missing from second race.... It was very quick for a Studebaker Lark!
Old 10 Sep 2018, 06:38 (Ref:3849141)   #138
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Most of the bikes are new ish, at least that's what I've been told, TBH most stuff has new engine/transmission. I can't think of anything that doesn't have new engines available.

An Italian friend has retired some Maserati, as to make them fast enough to not be embarrassing, they need to spend 100k+ on a new engine, then re do the rest of the car to suit. So we're already extremely close to historic motorsport in any competitive form being just a facsimile.
Old 10 Sep 2018, 06:53 (Ref:3849143)   #139
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Well it's all Trigger's broom as it were.

On the subject of sliding etc. it was noticeable that the Can Am cars with pretty rudimentary aero, were sliding much less than other cars.
Old 10 Sep 2018, 07:53 (Ref:3849146)   #140
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:

I have a machinist friend about a mile from me that does a lot of "trick" mods for a lot of the "classic bike" brigades engines. However he also does a lot of trick mods on classic car engines as well and that included mine back in the day
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 10 Sep 2018, 08:15 (Ref:3849150)   #141
hanuman
Rookie

hanuman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting that the fact that a lot of the cars were ‘new build’ was openly discussed by the commentary team!

Yes, I noticed that Phil Keen also openly referred to his second placed TT Celebration semi-lightweight E Type as 'just built'.

The success of the Kinrara Trophy has slightly sucked the life out of the TT grid in my view, leaving mostly 'just built' Cobras and Es to slug it out. The original Lightweight E Types seem to have gone the way of the Ferraris and Aston's in this race.

I think they need to re-think it, because whilst undoubtedly entertaining its lost some of its lustre and a lot of its interest as a consequence.

Having said all that, the Sussex and Glover trophies were both superb and the sound of that 12 cylinder Ferrari was breathtaking. And the grid for the Goodwood Trophy was wonderful.
Old 10 Sep 2018, 08:24 (Ref:3849151)   #142
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I wonder what the technical infringement of the Daytona Lark was.

knowing what's going on underneath a lot of other cars suggests it had NOS or something equally ludicrous going on?
Old 10 Sep 2018, 08:33 (Ref:3849152)   #143
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
No idea, although it is being invited back according to Matt Neal.

In fact Team Dynamics built that and the Soper Cortina. Note they didn't say "restored".
Old 10 Sep 2018, 10:38 (Ref:3849164)   #144
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanuman View Post
Yes, I noticed that Phil Keen also openly referred to his second placed TT Celebration semi-lightweight E Type as 'just built'.

The success of the Kinrara Trophy has slightly sucked the life out of the TT grid in my view, leaving mostly 'just built' Cobras and Es to slug it out. The original Lightweight E Types seem to have gone the way of the Ferraris and Aston's in this race.

I think they need to re-think it, because whilst undoubtedly entertaining its lost some of its lustre and a lot of its interest as a consequence.

Having said all that, the Sussex and Glover trophies were both superb and the sound of that 12 cylinder Ferrari was breathtaking. And the grid for the Goodwood Trophy was wonderful.
I think the TT has gone the same way as the St Mary’s Trophy, with entertainment for the crowd and youtubers first priority....

As you say, they are still some good races with cars performing as they did in period. Thankfully!
Old 10 Sep 2018, 11:00 (Ref:3849166)   #145
hanuman
Rookie

I don't mind it being entertaining...the Glover Trophy was superb entertainment. But the lack of genuine period cars isn't good for what is often referred to as the centre piece race of the revival. Compared to the '98 grid, or the 2008 grid come to that, it is a bit of a shadow of its former self.
Old 10 Sep 2018, 11:27 (Ref:3849168)   #146
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
I don't mind it being entertaining...the Glover Trophy was superb entertainment. But the lack of genuine period cars isn't good for what is often referred to as the centre piece race of the revival. Compared to the '98 grid, or the 2008 grid come to that, it is a bit of a shadow of its former self.
I totally agree! Sadly the creation of replica cars is getting more common in Historic Racing everywhere. I remarked on an original looking semi lightweight E Type at a meeting in Europe recently. No, it was a replica of the original- that is sitting in the owners ‘collection’ back home..... Less likely, I imagine, with cars such as Ferrari SWBs and GTOs?
Old 10 Sep 2018, 11:36 (Ref:3849170)   #147
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I recently heard of a situation where a car which, in period, had very similar chassis for 2 different classes of racing, was being denied the require papers because its current configuration required the "other" version of the tub.

The solution seems to be a new tub. As in very new.

It has already had an engine change due to size limitations and the gearbox has been rebuilt.

It would surely have been a better investment to buy a continuation car I would imagine. That way one would no doubt get lighter bodywork as well. And new suspension components.
Old 10 Sep 2018, 11:37 (Ref:3849171)   #148
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Apparently not Mike.

I don't mind continuation, as long as it says so, and original cars are differentiated from.

Even the humble saloons are virtually new, for example, a Cortina will use a heavily modified body shell, cross member, stub axles and rear axle casing, everything else is new, and different, so virtually a continuation, with no log book or provenance.
Old 10 Sep 2018, 11:48 (Ref:3849173)   #149
hanuman
Rookie

Presumably, the same thing is now happening with E Types and Cobras. Old road versions of no particular provenance are stripped to the bone and re-built as racing cars almost from scratch. It's a whole different kettle of fish from racing a genuine period car and no doubt the reason the owners of GTOs and LMB's don't want to bring them out anymore.
Old 10 Sep 2018, 11:50 (Ref:3849174)   #150
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Presumably, the same thing is now happening with E Types and Cobras. Old road versions of no particular provenance are stripped to the bone and re-built as racing cars almost from scratch. It's a whole different kettle of fish from racing a genuine period car and no doubt the reason the owners of GTOs and LMB's don't want to bring them out anymore.
Don't forget it was/is the norm for the lesser cars like the MGB to be built from an old wreck.

I know of one owner of a Group A Rover, who is building a replica so that he doesn't have to race the original.