Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 20 May 2015, 15:43 (Ref:3539669)   #16
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
In 1999, Mercedes, BMW, Toyota and Audi were all mid engined rear drive and nobody complained it was all the same and boring. We must have riduclously high standards if we're complaining that 4 different engine layouts, 2 different aspiration types, 2 different fuel types and 4 different hybrid system is boring.
In 1998 and 1999 there was more aerodynamic differences between all cars.
There were cars with larger cabin, like Porsche, Nissan and Mercedes and with an identity mark front like Mercedes, BMW and Porsche and of course there were spider cars like BMW and Nissan 1999.
Old 20 May 2015, 17:00 (Ref:3539693)   #17
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Sounds like he wants rules to change so they could do something unique that would be recognizable to their 'i' brand.
Like I said in the other thread, sounds like just hot air. Nissan kept saying similar things before finally going ahead... with zero changes in the regs (thankfully).

Last edited by deggis; 20 May 2015 at 17:05.
Old 20 May 2015, 17:22 (Ref:3539695)   #18
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
I know that they're different as far as the drive-train and hybrid technology goes. But for the untrained eye (barring the different-colored liveries), all 3 current manufacturers barring Nissan have fielded mid-engined LMP1 cars.

Like I said, I'll applaud BMW if they tackle Le Mans differently other than going conventional. If they want to put the engine (or a big electric motor/battery) beside the driver, I'm fine with that!
Question: do you want WEC to be a car show or a professional sport/racing series where the best car wins because it is the best and not because it is the most different?

Funny how now after Nissan and their PR-propaganda "conventional" has such a negative tone, as if it was somehow an easy and lazy route. It is only logical and lets say Darwinistic to follow a concept that has been proven as a winner. Didn't see many complaints back in Peugeot years when they at times used even the exactly same engine configuration than Audi.

Last edited by deggis; 20 May 2015 at 17:29.
Old 20 May 2015, 17:41 (Ref:3539699)   #19
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Question: do you want WEC to be a car show or a professional sport/racing series where the best car wins because it is the best and not because it is the most different?
I want a series where the best car wins, although having a bit of aesthetic feel might hook some new viewers!
Old 20 May 2015, 18:17 (Ref:3539711)   #20
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well i want good racing and interesting racing with new ideas and developments some of which will be successful other not but that is what makes things interesting rather than a boring one make/idea series
Old 20 May 2015, 18:39 (Ref:3539715)   #21
YorkshireLad
Veteran

United Kingdom
skipton, north yorkshire
YorkshireLad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can you have too much of a good thing..
Old 20 May 2015, 20:56 (Ref:3539761)   #22
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Like I said in the other thread, sounds like just hot air. Nissan kept saying similar things before finally going ahead... with zero changes in the regs (thankfully).
Nissan just wanted something that they felt was closer to a road gtr and could use the flow-through concept. BMW is not planning on entering until the new rules are made. What better way to try and influence the rule makers then expressing interest but saying the wec could still be more 'innovative'? I'm pretty sure bmw know theyre saying "if" with these comments.
Old 21 May 2015, 01:23 (Ref:3539799)   #23
Artur
Veteran

Artur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Funny how now after Nissan and their PR-propaganda "conventional" has such a negative tone, as if it was somehow an easy and lazy route. It is only logical and lets say Darwinistic to follow a concept that has been proven as a winner. Didn't see many complaints back in Peugeot years when they at times used even the exactly same engine configuration than Audi.
Well said! Nissan's media hype won't last much, though, if their concept prove to be a complete failure by 2016/17, or so.(as judging on the first year is way too harsh)
Old 21 May 2015, 14:38 (Ref:3539916)   #24
GriffM3
Racer

United States
Houston, TX
GriffM3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know the target date for when the new LMP Regulations will be introduced?
Old 21 May 2015, 17:30 (Ref:3539959)   #25
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffM3 View Post
Does anyone know the target date for when the new LMP Regulations will be introduced?
Enforced or published? Enforced 2017 onwards, but the regs would have to be ready much earlier, lets say at latest in mid-2016 teams need to know what to design and even that is really late if the changes are big. Final ratification in late 2016 by FIA WMSC, but in this kind of cases that is mostly a rubber stamping process.

According to Neveu's comments in interviews sounds like they don't have yet clear idea what changes are even coming if any and obviously they want to see what happens in June.
Old 21 May 2015, 17:45 (Ref:3539964)   #26
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Enforced or published? Enforced 2017 onwards, but the regs would have to be ready much earlier, lets say at latest in mid-2016 teams need to know what to design and even that is really late if the changes are big. Final ratification in late 2016 by FIA WMSC, but in this kind of cases that is mostly a rubber stamping process.

According to Neveu's comments in interviews sounds like they don't have yet clear idea what changes are even coming if any and obviously they want to see what happens in June.
There are usually meetings at LeMans with potential and current constructors.

We will see a draft by the end of the year, or early next, with finalization coming by June or July next year. To me, it seems, as long as the rules are favorable,(I don't see any massive changes, the rules have been pretty stable for a bit now) I think BMW to LMP will happen.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 23 May 2015, 05:00 (Ref:3540325)   #27
deggis
Veteran

Finland
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...50#post3539050
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins View Post
The RCE story is not a straight translation of the AMUS story. It is based on the Sport Auto print edition story but has additional info. We have a few more quotes from Jens that I'll upload later.

But yes its all from the same source in Germany. I don't think that RLM got it from the same place though.
Did you upload and where? (At least not here: http://www.racecar-engineering.com/c.../le-mans-news/)
Old 23 May 2015, 22:39 (Ref:3540495)   #28
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think about four manufactures is about the right number for the WEC. If any more join especially if it has six or more it means somebody is going to finish bottom of that pile without much to show for it.
The other danger is that manufacturers will start an arms race in their attempts to win the WEC or LeMans and if it gets too expensive they could all leave in numbers like happened in F1 in the late noughties or Group C in the early nineties.
Old 25 May 2015, 08:52 (Ref:3540957)   #29
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
I think about four manufactures is about the right number for the WEC. If any more join especially if it has six or more it means somebody is going to finish bottom of that pile without much to show for it.
The other danger is that manufacturers will start an arms race in their attempts to win the WEC or LeMans and if it gets too expensive they could all leave in numbers like happened in F1 in the late noughties or Group C in the early nineties.
Agreed. And unless they up the grid count, if you start adding more manufacturers with 2 or 3 cars, you start losing LMP2s and GT cars - cars which are more important than I think the LMP1 teams would like to admit. They are the true enthusiasts and I wouldn't want to lose more for more LMPs.
Old 25 May 2015, 09:05 (Ref:3540961)   #30
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well...that all depends on what the vision is for the WEC. You will never have a F1 rivaling (in terms of popularity) series if one's main focus is on privateer entries.
Don't get me wrong. A well balanced series (similar to what it is now) can become quite popular , but it will somewhat limited in growth.
Think of a WEC with 6 or 7 factory programs: The attraction would be enormous.