Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Jul 2019, 16:25 (Ref:3916883)   #1
Richard Casto
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Durham, NC, USA
Richard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
2020 Silly Season

So I have started to see news reports and some discussions in various threads here about 2020 from the perspective of the drivers market and even what power units various teams might use. So I figured... why not kick off this 2020 thread.

Some specific topics that I have seen recently...

* Williams switching to Renault and McLaren switching to Mercedes (probably not likely)
* Max Verstappen's RBR escape clause and his potential move to Mercedes (I assume to replace Bottas?)
* Some talk about Vettel retiring at end of 2019 or more recently... moving back to RBR!!
* Supposed break in relationship between Alonso and McLaren (which both have denied) and now there is talk of Alonso going to RBR!

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/41036...2020-seat.html

Would Honda be OK with Alonso back in a Honda powered car? I believe it was said that Honda stopped Alonso from using Honda power at Indy this year. Do they even have a say in the matter when it comes to RBR driver selection?

Richard
Old 10 Jul 2019, 22:28 (Ref:3916927)   #2
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ex-Lotus CEO, Matthew Carter has Ocon locked in for Mercedes or so he says on the most recent Missed Apex podcast.
Old 11 Jul 2019, 06:41 (Ref:3916963)   #3
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post

Would Honda be OK with Alonso back in a Honda powered car? I believe it was said that Honda stopped Alonso from using Honda power at Indy this year. Do they even have a say in the matter when it comes to RBR driver selection?

Richard
Marko also said they don't want Alonso and Honda wouldn't want it anyway.

also: it was Alonso that contacted Red Bull, not Red Bull that contacted Alonso
Old 11 Jul 2019, 10:12 (Ref:3916981)   #4
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!
McLaren have confirmed Norris and Sainz for 2020.

There has been talk of Ocon being released from his Mercedes contract so he can find a drive elsewhere (the Mercedes link potentially stopped him getting a drive for this year). Interestingly Ocon is being linked with Renault - with either Hulkenberg being ditched or Ricciardo leaving depending on which story you read. The Ricciardo move apparently would be to Ferrari if Vettel retires at the end of the year - so judge for yourself how likely you think that one is!

Williams have extended their sponsorship deal with Rokit - so at least some good news for Williams!
Old 15 Jul 2019, 13:43 (Ref:3917834)   #5
Taxi645
Racer

Netherlands
Taxi645 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
(part wishing part expecting)

Mercedes
- Hamilton
- Bottas

Ferrari
- Leclerc
- Ricciardo

Red Bull
- Verstappen
- Gasly

McLaren
- Sainz
- Norris

Renault
- Ocon
- Hulkenberg

Sauber
- Raikkonen
- Giovinazzi

Racing Point
- Perez
- Stroll

Haas:
- Magnussen
- ?, Vergne?

Torro Rosso
- Kvyat
- Albon

Williams:
- Russell
- de Vries

For 2021 I could imagine Norris going to Mercedes if he keeps improving.
Constructive discussion: A conversion where participants are maximally open to yet critical of each others arguments, with the intend of enhancing the knowledge, understanding and/or handling of it's subject.
Old 15 Jul 2019, 13:54 (Ref:3917836)   #6
steve_r
Veteran

England
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsteve_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsteve_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Everything hinges on Vettel. If Vettel does next season in Ferrari, then I can see no moves in the top 3 teams.

If Vettel quits, then Ferrari might have to get their cheque book out, and entice Ricciardo. But why should they not aim for Verstappen instead?

Do we think that Alonso definitely will not come back to F1? It's hard to see a space for him at anything better than a midfield team, which I guess is the main reason to doubt that he will get a driver next year. How about at Renault instead of Hulk'? That might work?

If I were running Haas, I would definitely be looking for 1 or possibly even 2 new drivers next season. Ocon? Perez? Hulkenburg?
Old 15 Jul 2019, 14:02 (Ref:3917838)   #7
Taxi645
Racer

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Everything hinges on Vettel. If Vettel does next season in Ferrari, then I can see no moves in the top 3 teams.

If Vettel quits, then Ferrari might have to get their cheque book out, and entice Ricciardo. But why should they not aim for Verstappen instead?
They can aim for Verstappen, but I reckon they won't get him.

1 Ferrari is probably not better than RB 2020.
2 He can't claim No1 status as Leclerc is too good.

If Verstappen is moving, it would be to Mercedes, but I'm quite sure he will give Red Bull/Honda 2020 to proof that they can really be there from the start of the season.

Quote:
Do we think that Alonso definitely will not come back to F1? It's hard to see a space for him at anything better than a midfield team, which I guess is the main reason to doubt that he will get a driver next year. How about at Renault instead of Hulk'? That might work?

If I were running Haas, I would definitely be looking for 1 or possibly even 2 new drivers next season. Ocon? Perez? Hulkenburg?

If Alonso would be up for it, Haas would take him I guess (if he doesn't demand an outrages salary that is).
Constructive discussion: A conversion where participants are maximally open to yet critical of each others arguments, with the intend of enhancing the knowledge, understanding and/or handling of it's subject.
Old 15 Jul 2019, 14:13 (Ref:3917844)   #8
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
We only have Norris and Sainz confirmed. Who goes where elsewhere in 2020 is anybody’s guess. Vettel has a big question mark, which I think will be key. As will what Bottas does
Old 15 Jul 2019, 14:29 (Ref:3917847)   #9
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
If Vettel quits, then Ferrari might have to get their cheque book out, and entice Ricciardo....
i could see SV walking away from the sport all together...he doesnt need the aggravation and media attention that comes with driving a Ferrari poorly.

if he does walk, then i could see something like Ric to Ferrari, Alonso to Renault, and Max and Gasly staying at RB.
Old 15 Jul 2019, 14:36 (Ref:3917848)   #10
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!
Haas must surely ditch Grosjean, they've got Fittipaldi who they could plug in as a replacement. Magnussen you'd have thought would get another year.

Basically if Vettel quits then there could be a huge upheaval - otherwise it's another year of tinkering around the edges isn't it? The 'available' seats are probably:

1 Haas (Grosjean out - Fittipaldi in?)
1 Williams (Kubica out)

Last edited by BertMk2; 15 Jul 2019 at 14:40. Reason: Appears Red Bull have ditched Ticktum - missed that - so he won't be getting a Torro Rosso seat!
Old 15 Jul 2019, 14:39 (Ref:3917850)   #11
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
Hasn’t Ticktum been dumped by Red Bull though? I don’t think his future prospects look good, especially as he lost his Super Formula seat
Old 15 Jul 2019, 14:47 (Ref:3917851)   #12
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Haas must surely ditch Grosjean, they've got Fittipaldi who they could plug in as a replacement. Magnussen you'd have thought would get another year.
Grosjean makes a lot of errors for sure but i think both may need to go imo.

circumstances also play a part, not necessarily their own fault, but this is a team that desperately needs to change the narrative surrounding it...replacing RG with immediate effect might do the trick (but then i suppose they would be the one breaking a contract).

also, it is hard to tell as a spectator, but does Mags have a bad attitude, not a team player, or something?
Old 15 Jul 2019, 14:49 (Ref:3917852)   #13
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Hasn’t Ticktum been dumped by Red Bull though? I don’t think his future prospects look good, especially as he lost his Super Formula seat
Yep - saw that just after I posted - I did edit before I saw your reply

Seems it all went wrong for Ticktum - he was short on superlicence points otherwise it would most likely be him and not Albon in the Torro Rosso this year.
Old 15 Jul 2019, 15:02 (Ref:3917854)   #14
crmalcolm
Veteran

Ireland
crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
We only have Norris and Sainz confirmed. Who goes where elsewhere in 2020 is anybody’s guess. Vettel has a big question mark, which I think will be key. As will what Bottas does
Mercedes were quite public when Hamilton signed an extension.

Lewis Hamilton: Mercedes driver agrees £40m-a-year deal until 2020

What constitutes a confirmation of entry?
Drivers with a contract in place for 2020 are:

Alfa Romeo Racing-Kimi Räikkönen
Ferrari-Sebastian Vettel
Ferrari-Charles Leclerc
Haas-Kevin Magnussen
McLaren-Lando Norris
McLaren-Carlos Sainz Jr.
Mercedes-Lewis Hamilton
Red Bull Racing-Max Verstappen
Renault-Daniel Ricciardo
Williams-George Russell

The official F1 Site: DRIVER MARKET: How is the 2020 grid shaping up?
Old 15 Jul 2019, 15:09 (Ref:3917856)   #15
Taxi645
Racer

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
i could see SV walking away from the sport all together...he doesnt need the aggravation and media attention that comes with driving a Ferrari poorly.

Nor of lingering on in a lesser team. I don't think he has the same feel for F1 as Raikkonen.

On Bottas at Mercedes. Mercedes can talk all they want about Bottas his form. However as long as Hamilton is around they are perfectly happy with a driver like Bottas. What is more to want, he does bring in a decent load of points, yet doesn't risk Lewis' championship nor does he take unnecessary risks with both cars on track. In my eyes it's all bullshit.