Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 7 Sep 2018, 12:29 (Ref:3848667)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
But I guess I'm putting this badly but really it appears that barring the BTCC Historics is becoming the professional discipline for racers.
Old 7 Sep 2018, 12:49 (Ref:3848673)   #17
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 has a real shot at the championship!BertMk2 has a real shot at the championship!BertMk2 has a real shot at the championship!BertMk2 has a real shot at the championship!BertMk2 has a real shot at the championship!BertMk2 has a real shot at the championship!
Hopefully this link works:

https://twitter.com/OfficialBARCHQ/s...43348492279810

It illustrates Peters point very well I think!
Old 7 Sep 2018, 14:39 (Ref:3848701)   #18
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post

Yuk.....
Old 7 Sep 2018, 14:47 (Ref:3848703)   #19
bauble
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire almost in Pakistan
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
[QUOTE=Mike Bell;3848642]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post

Apparently Mike Bell is ‘an occasional Morgan driver’, according to some journo writing in Morgan Miscellany magazine this month, but I think I know what he meant....
Well, Mike when one of the most respected, top, international journalists notes your name, you must be well famous. Probably command quite a handsome fee at the Revival next year.

Copies of the photograph are available for purchase at a reasonable cost to all 10/10th members.
Attached Thumbnails
_MG_0441.jpg  
Old 7 Sep 2018, 16:00 (Ref:3848717)   #20
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Well, Mike when one of the most respected, top, international journalists notes your name, you must be well famous. Probably command quite a handsome fee at the Revival next year.
No chance of me being invited back! Sorry to go off topic, but the mag comment did get me counting- if all goes to plan by the end of the season I will have done 12 races around Europe and U.K. in 4 different Morgans, and in between helped support another well known one at 5 European meetings....
Old 7 Sep 2018, 20:09 (Ref:3848760)   #21
midgetman
Veteran

England
Rural Wiltshire
midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post

Bloody hell! That's impressive...but as regards "professional" drivers, how many are being paid and how many are "guest" drivers?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 7 Sep 2018, 20:47 (Ref:3848770)   #22
justracing
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a double edged sword isn't it?
I am a fervent supporter of amateur club racing and I attend an awful lot of wholly amateur(or very nearly) events across all sorts of disciplines but watching some of the pros demonstrate their skills in a myriad of historic legendary touring cars is no less entertaining and for events such as the revival it is an obvious crowd puller. The levels of commitment show in both qualy sessions today for the St Marys trophy was quite incredible. The second session was no less intense than the first with Mike Jordan and Steve Soper absolutely wringing the neck out of their Lotus Cortinas(or at least that's what they were originally) and watching Nick Swift(is he a pro or an am?) throwing that mini into Madgwick at full tilt is just something to behold.
Personally I think that the Daily Express Rover is a great car to watch in whoever hands but then again I'm quite unbiased as to whether or not one car or driver is better because I mentally balance the performance according to financial and driver experience input. As I said Peter, and I really understand your sentiment, the problem is quite a conundrum and historically has always been so.
Old 8 Sep 2018, 07:43 (Ref:3848818)   #23
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well thank you. Actually watching Goodwood it really is impressive seeing the likes of Ash Sutton etc. a relatively young BTCC Champion making shapes with his Lotus Cortina. Certainly I'm not complaining about this. Just rueing the fact that slowly us amatuers are being sidelined.
Old 8 Sep 2018, 07:50 (Ref:3848819)   #24
bauble
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire almost in Pakistan
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Well thank you. Actually watching Goodwood it really is impressive seeing the likes of Ash Sutton etc. a relatively young BTCC Champion making shapes with his Lotus Cortina. Certainly I'm not complaining about this. Just rueing the fact that slowly us amatuers are being sidelined.
Peter, while I am no fan of most BBC/ITV 'reality shows' I have noticed that any new show rapidly becomes 'Celebrity' once the basic idea has been launched with members of the public.

Maybe Goodwood should be re=launched as 'Celebrity Revival'
Old 8 Sep 2018, 08:00 (Ref:3848820)   #25
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Personally I think it proves these guys can drive.
Old 8 Sep 2018, 11:41 (Ref:3848848)   #26
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Personally I think it proves these guys can drive.
They certainly can, Peter, but they also have one considerable advantage over you and every other ‘club racer’. In two words- seat time!
Old 8 Sep 2018, 14:00 (Ref:3848862)   #27
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Of course. Which comes back round to my original point I guess.
Old 8 Sep 2018, 17:55 (Ref:3848885)   #28
justracing
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
They certainly can, Peter, but they also have one considerable advantage over you and every other ‘club racer’. In two words- seat time!
Exactly one of the points I was trying to make, that along with seemingly unlimited funding!
Old 8 Sep 2018, 18:37 (Ref:3848893)   #29
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
It is rather interesting to note that younger racers who have probably very rarely had to grapple with things like clutches and manual gearboxes in any sort of competitive environment can arrive on a scene and seemingly just "get it".

Oddly the same is sort of true on the roads. There are all sorts of people who make reasonably competent drivers who you might think of as being totally incompetent at anything else. Race driving is a different matter ... or is it? How old was Graham Hill when he started out?

But I digress. There are a number of young drivers who have appeared in Historics well before they would be old enough to be able to lease/insure a car with fairly minimal engine power (by modern standards) who are quite capable of driving quickly, learning quickly and adapting to whatever they find themselves sitting in.

They need some luck to make it as professional drivers in the long term (or a different career path to become regular competitors).

I was chatting (briefly) to someone yesterday who, though a leisure boat operator, was clearly also a petrol head of the Cortina and Capri era.

The subject of wheel waving Lotus Cortinas came up, reminding me that one rarely sees a 60's LC waving a wheel these days.

Maybe the skills of some of the current pro generation are not quite so clearly encompassing the cars of the 50s, 60s and 70s so much as the cars of those periods are encompassing the skills of more modern engineering thus bringing them a little closer to the learned competence of modern day hot shoes.
Old 8 Sep 2018, 19:40 (Ref:3848909)   #30
zefarelly
Veteran

England
zefarelly should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridzefarelly should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridzefarelly should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Modern drivers go well in modern cars.

Matt Niell drove my car in 2005, it was only a press day, but equally just before he won anything serious, and got 'royalty' sataus. he was really nice, polite, good guy etc, but it wasn't difficult to see he thought is was a chunk of ****, and he'd rather walk. (Fwiw the other cars he drove were as bad!)

Either his opinion of slack crap old cars has changed, or he and the btcc boys are racing something completely different. . . . .

No doubt Pro's are better than us hobbyists. But, there are genuine enthusiasts of certain Marques who know the cars very well. They sometimes match the pro's on familiarity over driving ability. Any car, for any driver, takes time to acclimatise to, the more experience and time you have, the quicker you get there.
I guess age is a consideration, reaction times and eye sight spring to mind.

Robert Barrie is a Porsche man, his 356 was trounced by Sam Tordoff. Driver? Or car?