Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 29 May 2015, 16:09 (Ref:3542577)   #1
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Infiniti withdraws factory support

From Autosport..

"Infiniti has withdrawn its manufacturer support of the paratrooper-affiliated British Touring Car Championship team with immediate effect.The Support our Paras Racing team has had a troubled start to its inaugural season in the BTCC, with Derek Palmer Jr achieving a best finish of 17th in his Q50.
It intends to continue without the support of the Japanese manufacturer, but has not confirmed Palmer and ex-Formula 1 driver Martin Donnelly will drive at Oulton Park."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/119220

To be honest I was surprised that Infiniti put their brand behind such an unproven project, knowing how brands are generally so specific in their image, etc.
Old 29 May 2015, 17:17 (Ref:3542599)   #2
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not surprised. Infiniti would want to score points. Yes, it's for a charitable cause, but I'm surprised a factory team would ever associate themselves with a rookie team with no real infrastructure, budget from the sounds of it, which only hires pay drivers to actually enter the races, and of course the team boss' son. A factory team to have the midseason aim of scoring points is woeful in the BTCC, where small teams can enter and score regular points.

If Infiniti invested so much, why did a factory team have to get the most unproven driver pairing on the grid? Donnelly came in and car kept on breaking, but when he drove he looked... ...lets say a bit rusty.

Can see the team folding at the end of year from the sounds of it. Doesn't sound well run at all, with 1 car turning up for the season opener, the way they dealt with Hawken, and now this...

...shame for the BTCC when these guys can race but Motorbase are on the sidelines. I'm not a huge fan of the team but at least they're actually credible and are run well enough.
Old 29 May 2015, 17:18 (Ref:3542600)   #3
BillWiskins
Racer

European Union
Brighton
BillWiskins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Naturally we wish Infiniti well in the future..." Yes, good luck to poor, struggling Infiniti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
To be honest I was surprised that Infiniti put their brand behind such an unproven project, knowing how brands are generally so specific in their image, etc.
I agree - and I'd have thought, considering that they did back such a project, that they'd have stuck it out beyond the first few rounds.
Old 29 May 2015, 18:33 (Ref:3542621)   #4
kvenom
Veteran

kvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
lol that was quick.
Old 29 May 2015, 18:34 (Ref:3542623)   #5
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How many changes of driver is a team allowed to make in a season?

Support Our Paras must be close to a limit, having dumped Richard Hawken and now Martin Donnelly. I understand financial issues are not classed as a case for Force Majeure in respect of a driver change.
Old 29 May 2015, 18:38 (Ref:3542627)   #6
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post
How many changes of driver is a team allowed to make in a season?

Support Our Paras must be close to a limit, having dumped Richard Hawken and now Martin Donnelly. I understand financial issues are not classed as a case for Force Majeure in respect of a driver change.
Where's it announced Donnelly's not continuing? Not that it would surprise me, just haven't seen it stated anywhere yet.
Old 29 May 2015, 18:41 (Ref:3542629)   #7
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
Where's it announced Donnelly's not continuing? Not that it would surprise me, just haven't seen it stated anywhere yet.
Says so in the TCT article.
Old 29 May 2015, 19:37 (Ref:3542647)   #8
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
and of course the team boss' son.
MATT NEAL is the team boss' son... but of course Matt already proved himself before Honda support came
Old 29 May 2015, 20:02 (Ref:3542654)   #9
850Estate
Veteran

Sweden
GBR/SWE
850Estate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember before the season had even started someone said that they thought Infiniti SOP wouldn't see out the season, almost everyone (including myself) commented that this was codswallop.

I'm sorry mate, you were right. First they couldn't get the two cars built, then they shafted Hawken out of his seat and now they've lost manufacturer support - all whilst team members squared up to people on Twitter. It's a real shame but this mismanagement has made the team a joke. Sickening to see Motorbase struggle to get their competitive car and two experienced drivers on the grid when these diddies are making a joke out of the series.

^^^Seething
Old 29 May 2015, 21:56 (Ref:3542691)   #10
Cinghio44
Veteran

Italy
Abruzzo
Cinghio44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At least I hope the "the support our Paras" charity system will go on and the team will find a 2nd good driver!

I'm very disappointed by the Infiniti involvement
Old 30 May 2015, 04:46 (Ref:3542726)   #11
jimothy84
Racer

England
Swindon, Wiltshire
jimothy84 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't this the time when Gilham usually buys the team/cars, paints them pink, black and green and sorts the performance out?

In all seriousness, sad to see a manufacturer pull out, however unconventional their entrance to the sport was!
Old 30 May 2015, 05:06 (Ref:3542727)   #12
psq43
Veteran

psq43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimothy84 View Post
Isn't this the time when Gilham usually buys the team/cars, paints them pink, black and green and sorts the performance out?

In all seriousness, sad to see a manufacturer pull out, however unconventional their entrance to the sport was!
No no no mate, you're getting that all wrong.

It's Tony that bites off more than he can chew, then Warren Scott comes and sorts the mess out.
Old 30 May 2015, 07:16 (Ref:3542748)   #13
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
The whole arrangement to me seemed a little odd. Unproven team, unusual driver line-up and works backed.
Old 30 May 2015, 08:40 (Ref:3542763)   #14
EastonNeston
Veteran

EastonNeston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You have to wonder who & at what level, within Infiniti was the decision initially made to back the team?

The situation suggests that when the senior management were made aware of the actuallity of the team and it's performance that a very firm and rapid NO was delivered from Japan.

To be honest, I could see very little benefit to an up market brand being involved in what is effectively a 'spec car' series, with limited technical input and benefit from manufacturers. Also the market demographics of the btcc audience does not give a good match to the target audience for the brand.
For a manufacturer the whole project offered very little positive, with a whole load of negatives.
Old 30 May 2015, 09:34 (Ref:3542773)   #15
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A marketing bod may have discovered that a free 'works' team is better than not having one, and the due diligence needed some work.

We have the situation in Australia with a V8Supercar team running Mercedes Benz racing cars, much to the displeasure of the local importer.

Infiniti may be stuck watching these guys and gals wandering around the back of the grid for a few more seasons yet, muddying their brand up..
ā€œEverybody Liesā€ - Dr Gregory House, House
ā€œTrust But Verifyā€ - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 30 May 2015, 10:21 (Ref:3542785)   #16
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Infiniti should have supported a proper team like Motorbase.... how this decisions are made is beyond me

and it's a bit IRONIC

in BTCC japanese premium brands always where right at the back , anyone remember the awful LEXUS both in BTC and S2000 incarnations ?
Old 30 May 2015, 10:26 (Ref:3542789)   #17
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
How much works support did they really get though?
Old 30 May 2015, 10:41 (Ref:3542798)   #18
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Enough to make sure they weren't broke, from the sounds of it. I'm expecting a pay driver to step in to fund them for the rest of the season.

Farcical.
Old 30 May 2015, 13:11 (Ref:3542845)   #19
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Will they still score Manufacturer points?
Old 30 May 2015, 15:55 (Ref:3542926)   #20
psq43
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Will they still score Manufacturer points?
I highly doubt it
Old 30 May 2015, 15:56 (Ref:3542927)   #21
psq43
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
How much works support did they really get though?
The bare minimum so I'm told. Similar deal to the Tesco/888/MG effort
Old 30 May 2015, 21:00 (Ref:3543056)   #22
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Has been stated elsewhere but Q30...
It was always the plan according to MN when the project was announced in October. And with Gow's comment at the end something I seriously expect for 2016. I think Infiniti will be back.
Old 30 May 2015, 21:52 (Ref:3543076)   #23
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by psq43 View Post
The bare minimum so I'm told. Similar deal to the Tesco/888/MG effort
What, so the shells, some cash, and Infiniti overalls?
Old 30 May 2015, 22:10 (Ref:3543078)   #24
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
What, so the shells, some cash, and Infiniti overalls?
and the use of a road car for both drivers

I understand it was Infiniti that wanted Martin Donnelly, do no Infiniti means no Donnelly.
Old 30 May 2015, 22:14 (Ref:3543080)   #25
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There are some wild rumours out there, i wont repeat them and i personally dont actually think they are true. Im sure a little search and you can find them, but if they are true this team should be no where near charity work, let alone a racing paddock.