Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 11 Nov 2003, 18:14 (Ref:780118)   #26
swift
Racer

swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the whole idea is a fantastic one. Communication between drivers/championship co-ordinators is the key. Race reports, championship positions, wants, items for sale, sspecial discounts from priviledged suppliers the sky's the limit!

I've spoken to Gus and he'd be quite happy to expand on his current litery skills for any race reports for the NW Championship.
Old 11 Nov 2003, 18:24 (Ref:780127)   #27
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NOTE OF CAUTION

Don't let the euphoria of the Walter Hayes take you over. Yes the website, drivers club etc. are brilliant ideas, BUT ....

Back in 2002, a drivers club "The North West Formula Ford Drivers Association" - NWFFDA was founded, by the drivers, for the drivers. Sadly - after initial enthusiasm - it died fairly quickly.

WHY?

Driver apathy took over. OK, it didn't have a website, but from 80 odd registered drivers, the organiser told me he only ever received three phone calls from the drivers once they had "joined up". They just didn't seem interested.

So within one season, the club was founded, folded and the "kitty" was presented to the Marshals funds.

Gloom aside folks, let's go for it.
Old 11 Nov 2003, 18:27 (Ref:780133)   #28
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting Diz - any other similar experiences? What was the raison d'etre of the NWFFDA?
Old 11 Nov 2003, 18:36 (Ref:780144)   #29
swift
Racer

swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
diz, you're absolutely correct of course. But, if the club or association or whatever you want to call it were to be made up from the various different "centres" or championships from around the uk, one would hope this should drive the idea forward. You've only got to look at the responses on this site to see how popular the idea could be. We need to be positive and I think the idea is a sound one
Old 11 Nov 2003, 19:05 (Ref:780170)   #30
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
Quote:
Originally posted by diz
NOTE OF CAUTION

Don't let the euphoria of the Walter Hayes take you over. Yes the website, drivers club etc. are brilliant ideas,
swift,
I'm totally in favour, but thought the experience of the NWFFDA should be mentioned.

Ian
The idea of the NWFFDA was very similar to most of what has been mentioned earlier in this thread : solidarity, bargaining clout, team spirit etc., etc.
Old 11 Nov 2003, 19:08 (Ref:780172)   #31
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
For those of you not familiar with swift's literary masterpieces,

Take a look at

brsccnw.com

Ian Smith Page

Dowload Newsletters

Last edited by diz; 11 Nov 2003 at 19:14.
Old 11 Nov 2003, 19:21 (Ref:780180)   #32
jadlamracing
Rookie

jadlamracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The ARP Club seems to run ok,Perhaps we need to find out their secret?They get longer races,qual,garages decent calender. Smaller number of potential drivers not like FF1600.
http://www.arpf3.co.uk/
The potential clout 200 + FF1600 club members would have. Could be interesting negotiating with sponsors and the BRSCC,BARC.
Most clubs are run by 5 or 6 fantastic dedicated people, 90% of members never do or want to do any thing.
Old 11 Nov 2003, 22:26 (Ref:780348)   #33
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
Walshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The fact that you are looking to set up a "Formula Ford 1600" site for all competitors as opposed to the one we started for just one Championship might work better. Diz is right though. I was going to set up the website and asked all the drivers to forward to me a portfolio. Some brief description of them and a picture in and out of the car. Out of over 60 drivers, I received 3 replies on the 3rd time of asking. A number of the drivers agreeing to this new club on this posting were involved in the original NWFFDA and their enthusiasm wavered quickly back then. Get all the pieces in place before starting anything.
Not wanting to sound like a pesimist, as I think it's a great idea, I think it should be well planned and thought out before we start talking about subscriptions and joining fees.
Old 12 Nov 2003, 08:10 (Ref:780729)   #34
scoop
Rookie

scoop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chaps:
Delighted that FF1600 is getting so much attention once more, very well deserved and congrats to James and everyone for the WH Trophy (missed it on some rally thing in Wales).
The idea of an association is an interesting one and I reckon the example of the Clubmans Register is worth looking at.
Clubmans has been around even longer than FF1600 and much of the reason for that is the drivers' association. It has steered and protected the category through various ups and downs over more than 35 years and still has two strong championships today.
Inevitably, it takes a lot of graft by a small number of people to make it work, but the benefits are many. Great camaraderie, strong grids, title sponsors for both championships, good relationships with organising clubs, a good website and magazine, an annual exclusive test day and much more.
Basically, the organising clubs are operating on very limited resources and are not going to nurture classes very much, so more and more it needs those directly involved to do this.
Definitely worth doing, but as Diz points out, it won't happen without a lot of effort from maybe three or four people. However, if it protects and promotes FF1600, its a great idea!
Old 12 Nov 2003, 08:23 (Ref:780738)   #35
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, to be effective and not die it needs to be kept very simple to start with so nobody needs to put hundreds of hours in.
Would a simple register of cars and a website primarily of adverts and forums (both of which are largely self maintaining) not then be a good way to start.
If this was called the FF1600 Register (or Club) it mustn't be forgotten that there are probably as many, if not more, FF1600s sprinting and hillclimbing as racing.
Numbers of 'members' could be large and a team of recruiters would likely be needed to acheive some critical mass, ie. compare these forums to "www.formula-ford.net" which just hasn't taken off..
Old 12 Nov 2003, 08:35 (Ref:780748)   #36
Richard Young
Racer

Richard Young should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent idea chaps.
In NI we currently have a total of 30 FF1600 drivers competing more or less regularly, plus another 10 or so south of the border at present....and growing. I'm pretty certain we would go for it, and would be happy to look after this little corner of the world.
It probably needs to start soon though, while people haven't got quite so much to do........
Old 12 Nov 2003, 09:41 (Ref:780795)   #37
spearce
Racer

spearce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John, the "www.formula-ford.net" website was started by Simon Davey this year, but he's not had the spare time to do it justice. As a result, it has not been updated since July. I think this new site covering all FF1600's is a good idea, but as has been said already, a lot of work for somebody. Is there any merit in taking over Simon's site, or is it easier to start from scratch? The Classic website is now being run by Roger Newman, it would be good to have a link to this new one.
Old 12 Nov 2003, 09:49 (Ref:780802)   #38
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Steve, to my certain knowledge that website is run solely by David Blyth who I used to race against in 750MC FF Zetec and who has most recently been doing Legends...

(now I understand why we had some confusing PMs earlier this year)

Last edited by JohnMiller; 12 Nov 2003 at 09:51.
Old 12 Nov 2003, 09:55 (Ref:780810)   #39
spearce
Racer

spearce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John, are we talking about the same one :

FormulaFord1600.net

You can contact the Webmaster, Simon Davey, on
sdavey@ksad.demon.co.uk

I'm also currently competing in the BARC/BRSCC Classic
Formula Ford 1600 Championship. Car Number 5.

Please come and introduce yourself on race-days!
Old 12 Nov 2003, 10:28 (Ref:780838)   #40
JohnMiller
Veteran

Justin introduced us at the weekend! And I don't think you're referring to www.formula-ford.net
Old 12 Nov 2003, 10:45 (Ref:780854)   #41
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ian...sounds like a great idea
Thats one of the problems I've found trying to find info there are so many sites, a lot that carry minimal information or info that is woefully out of date.
You shouldnt understimate the size of the task though and would have to be aware of the possibility of it becoming a full time job, juts look at pitpass.com and they only cover one small sixteen race championship

a dailysportscar.com for formula fords of all persuasions would be excellent

I'd happily donate pics and even a little time
Old 12 Nov 2003, 10:50 (Ref:780862)   #42
MikeM
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wilmslow, UK
MikeM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re the NWFFDA, I agree that it didn't last, for a variety of reasons. These sorts of things do take a big commitment from a few capable people but - in the same area, look at how the NW BRSCC site has developed this year. www.brsccnw.com
Old 12 Nov 2003, 10:52 (Ref:780864)   #43
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
you have some mighty young marshalls in that picture
Old 12 Nov 2003, 11:03 (Ref:780871)   #44
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I run a webhosting company and would be happy to provide hosting and help on this project.
Old 12 Nov 2003, 11:03 (Ref:780872)   #45
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
Any new site would probably be best acting as a hub to the regional sites that could be a news service, fill in any gaps and provide semi official sub-sites for those championships lacking their own...the Star of the Midlands springs to mind as one that I dont think has an official site...happy to be proven wrong there of course
Old 12 Nov 2003, 11:19 (Ref:780881)   #46
JohnMiller
Veteran

but then it becomes a BRSCC type affair doesn't it.

PS try www.brsccmids.co.uk
Old 12 Nov 2003, 11:24 (Ref:780886)   #47
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Paul - I see where you are coming from but I think the site should probably reflect the FF1600 club (should that ever happen). It would also be nice to have a standardised format for all of the sites.

Darcym - Thanks for the offer. Redracer57 knows more about the technical side than me, when he comes on I'm sure he will talk to you about it!
Old 12 Nov 2003, 11:24 (Ref:780887)   #48
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
thanks for that...highlights a point though...SOM points after Sep 13 Oulton round
Old 12 Nov 2003, 11:25 (Ref:780888)   #49
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
Ian I'm just thinking aloud hopefully adding to the debate
Old 12 Nov 2003, 11:28 (Ref:780892)   #50
Ian Sowman
Veteran

You are, thanks. The problem with many websites is that they simply are not current and so people stop using them. We'd hope to avoid that. Not sure who does the BRSCC Midlands site.