Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Sep 2002, 03:11 (Ref:376035)   #1
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Circuit changes: Maybe it's just me but...

Okay, this is _really_ bugging me right now. As I look at the maps of the before and after versions of Interlagos and the Österreich/A1-Ring, I've got to wonder what the hell was the thinking behind making the old track inoperable in the process? With Hockenheim, it was some BS way to pacify the Greens (who should be smart enough to see thru something like that), but what's the deal with these two tracks? I mean, I look at an aerial photo of Interlagos, and I can still see the whole old track! Some of it's torn up in the infield, but what would it take to put the old layout back into use. A few weeks with a paving crew?

The modifications to the Österreichring were more radical, but the large portion to the east from turn 1 thru the insane uphill Dr. Tiroch kurve, and thru the backstraight wasn't replaced, it was simply cut away, which is why the track is so much shorter in it's current form. I can't find an aerial photo, is there any pavement of that part of the track still there? And certainly, if the track were to be restored, the other turns could be replicated by extending the track slightly and adding the smoother, faster profile corners, especially the magnificent, original, banked Boschkurve.

I'm really and truly thinking that Bernie does this simply out of spite for the fans.
Old 9 Sep 2002, 05:18 (Ref:376063)   #2
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sadly, the old Hockenheim will soon be gone forever. The old track has been dug up and will eventually be replaced by trees.

This is just another thing in a long list of reasons why people are switching off - soon enough, there will be 17 races in 17 different countries but what's the point when the elements of the track are nearly always the same.
Old 9 Sep 2002, 08:46 (Ref:376192)   #3
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thats true F1manoz , to a degree we will end up with 17 simular kinds of circuit if Max gets his way .

What a shame that will be .
Old 9 Sep 2002, 14:11 (Ref:376484)   #4
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about, the deliberate destruction of historic pavement! It's like Bernie kicks you in the groin when the track's modified, then spits in your face by making sure no one can ever use the old track again!
Old 9 Sep 2002, 14:54 (Ref:376521)   #5
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i a firm believer in keeping history ...even if it means changes , it doesnt mean you have to dig up and throw away what weve enjoyed in times gone by .
Old 9 Sep 2002, 17:28 (Ref:376638)   #6
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have seen some overhead shots of the A1-Ring and you can see the old track, that was after turn 1.

Interlagos would be better if they used the old track.
Old 9 Sep 2002, 17:30 (Ref:376641)   #7
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Thanks hakkiman, it warms my hear to know the Dr. Tirosch Kurve is still there...
Old 9 Sep 2002, 23:49 (Ref:377014)   #8
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Shame the old Kyalamis gone forever too.
Old 10 Sep 2002, 00:19 (Ref:377022)   #9
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Yeah, but that's equally the fault of inept local government and greedy real estate developers, Paul... Likewise Zandvoort.
Old 10 Sep 2002, 09:31 (Ref:377203)   #10
strad
Veteran

strad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My heart weeps for the loss of the old tracks,( sounds melodramatic but I can't think of a better way to put it),,These cookie cutter tracks are nothing more than oversized go-kart parks.

Last edited by strad; 10 Sep 2002 at 09:33.
Old 10 Sep 2002, 22:15 (Ref:377707)   #11
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
Number Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
does anyone have any aerial shots or links to sites that do have aerial shots of before/after photos?

Here must all distrust be left;
All cowardice must here be dead
Old 11 Sep 2002, 11:04 (Ref:377870)   #12
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
ron dennis in motorsport news today says f1 would be better going to moscow or new orleans, than spa.

the cost of everything...and the value of nothing.
Old 11 Sep 2002, 12:21 (Ref:377928)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ron Dennis has been saying that it would be a shame to lose Spa. I think he was just making the point that in financial and convience terms it would be better to go to tracks other than Spa.
Old 11 Sep 2002, 12:33 (Ref:377936)   #14
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
belgium...pretty far-flung
Old 11 Sep 2002, 12:43 (Ref:377942)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No Spa isn't that far-flung from Woking, but I didn't mean the actual team getting there. Although in someways it is a pain.

Belgium may not be convenient as other countries in terms of attracting backers, getting to the relevant (or new) market places etc...
Old 11 Sep 2002, 12:58 (Ref:377955)   #16
kdr
Veteran

back to the "cost of everything - value of nothing" theory again.

be interesting to hear from a team without tobacco sponsorship..
Old 13 Sep 2002, 23:32 (Ref:379939)   #17
Miss Hardt
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
Miss Hardt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
Sadly, the old Hockenheim will soon be gone forever. The old track has been dug up and will eventually be replaced by trees.

This is just another thing in a long list of reasons why people are switching off - soon enough, there will be 17 races in 17 different countries but what's the point when the elements of the track are nearly always the same.
Has anyone noticed that Parabolika is a lausy copy of Blanchimont and that Spitzkehre reminds of the Adelaide Hairpin in Nevers? Why? What was wrong with the old chicanes?

Forever is a relative term. For me it's still here *putting on my self-made necklace*
Old 14 Sep 2002, 00:15 (Ref:379958)   #18
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
C'mon. it can't be inspired in Blanchimont... Blanchimont is much much more challeging...

Anyway. Most tracks suck.
True ones still standing: Spa, Monza, Elkhart, Laguna, Mid-Ohio, Rd. Atlanta, Mosport....
Old 14 Sep 2002, 02:28 (Ref:380000)   #19
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Hmm, I still don't get why some people like Mid-Ohio so much. I can't figure it out, which is particularly troubling since it's my home track! Too many blind, off-camber, zero-grip downhill corners... Desperatly difficult to pass there.

Definitly add Virginia International Raceway to that list, Jordi. And, of course, the Nurburgring Nordschliefe, Linas-Montlhery, and Clermont-Ferrand. It's just that no one ever used those magnificent old tracks... :/
Old 14 Sep 2002, 23:43 (Ref:380377)   #20
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i know it's not an F1 track and never will be but Oulton Park is one of the best race tracks i've ever seen!
Old 15 Sep 2002, 01:11 (Ref:380413)   #21
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Don't forget Watkins Glen. Its a fine course despite the wretched chicane at the end of the straight.

But to be honest, i don't understand the distruction of the tracks and that removal of the pavement not used for the F1 course.

In my mind, the modifications to Woodcote at Silverstone and the whole Luffield sequence are the worst offeders.