Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 16 Dec 2010, 11:36 (Ref:2805096)   #151
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
check whether they are providing what the competitor wants.
THAT was the statement I left out of my rant/opinion. It seems obvious (sorry Simon) but is, of course, an over riding factor.......and I'd prefer to use the term 'customer' rather than 'competitor'
Old 16 Dec 2010, 11:54 (Ref:2805097)   #152
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee View Post
THAT was the statement I left out of my rant/opinion. It seems obvious (sorry Simon) but is, of course, an over riding factor.......and I'd prefer to use the term 'customer' rather than 'competitor'
That is one thing we have always stressed, (everyone involved at 360) be it at the track, talking to clubs, on the radio in the interviews etc and it is what I stated earlier in this thread. Competitors ARE CUSTOMERS...and regardless of if I am an organising club or Promotor (and most are and have to be a bit of both) then either my MEMBERS are my customers ...or my COMPETITORS are my customers, and as Al as clearly pointed out here, they will if they dont like or do like something...vote with their feet (or more importantly...their entry fee!!!).

Just to confirm what I meant earlier in this thread. It was not that I wanted 360 to pay me a wage, it was that I would love to earn a living from doing motorsport...and I think im certainly not the only one on here who wouldnt mind it either

Anyway, whose up for this 24 hour based on the Wilhire regs?
Old 16 Dec 2010, 12:35 (Ref:2805115)   #153
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireSmith View Post
I would love to earn a living from doing motorsport...and I think im certainly not the only one on here who wouldnt mind it either
Too right!
Old 16 Dec 2010, 12:56 (Ref:2805126)   #154
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Funny the one thing I have never understood is why no one has offered to pay me to drive a race car.
Old 16 Dec 2010, 12:59 (Ref:2805129)   #155
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Funny the one thing I have never understood is why no one has offered to pay me to drive a race car.
Danm you have spoilt the surprise now !!!
Old 16 Dec 2010, 14:28 (Ref:2805154)   #156
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Al I tend to find myself reading your posts in the character of Eeyore.....

If it makes you feel any better I would say outside of possibly Simon Hadfield there is no one who posts on this board who is paid to drive a race car.......
Old 16 Dec 2010, 14:36 (Ref:2805156)   #157
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
It was a joke FFS!!! I am nothing if not a realist! All joking aside though I did once earn a living out of racing well pulling spanners and I remember having an interesting converstation one teabreak with the secretary bird and any how she said oh I really admire Roger how he drives the sports racers (she had the hots for him, cant understand why ). I said why is that given the chance most of the people in the company who are all enthusiasts (one was Mini racer Nick Cole) could have a go including me. She then started going on about how would I be able to control a racing clutch etc etc etc, I said have you ever driven a Norton Dominator or a Healey 100/6 (my road car) darling? I think you will find I would cope admirable well!

Last edited by Al Weyman; 16 Dec 2010 at 14:44.
Old 16 Dec 2010, 14:37 (Ref:2805157)   #158
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
which is even funnier when spoken like Eeyore....
Old 16 Dec 2010, 14:47 (Ref:2805161)   #159
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Its all a load of old ballony though come on, nearly anyone on here would cope if they didnt have to repair the broken cars or pick up the tab. A car will only go so fast before it falls off the track whoever is driving the thing and if you are fit enough (I aint) and sharp enough then why shouldnt you be as good as the next man. Racers are only guys that cant run or jump anyhow
Old 16 Dec 2010, 14:49 (Ref:2805162)   #160
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
BTW WTF is Eeyore?
Old 16 Dec 2010, 14:56 (Ref:2805163)   #161
simon drabble
Veteran

Quote:
A car will only go so fast before it falls off the track whoever is driving the thing and if you are fit enough (I aint) and sharp enough then why shouldnt you be as good as the next man.
I am sure Alonso says the same thing to Massa... many people run out of talent long before they run out of track
Old 16 Dec 2010, 15:21 (Ref:2805171)   #162
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
And some people die or get very badly injured doing it then are remembered as Great. They probable were but may have pushed it too hard that day. Tell you what though I watched Roger Wills at Mallory hopping in and out of different cars and was very very impressed he is an all rounder for sure.
Old 16 Dec 2010, 15:25 (Ref:2805172)   #163
simon drabble
Veteran

Al to answer your earlier question as quoted from Wikipedia:

Eeyore is a character in the Winnie-the-Pooh books, created by A. A. Milne. He is generally characterized as a greyish-blue, gloomy, old stuffed donkey who is a friend of the title character, Winnie-the-Pooh
Old 16 Dec 2010, 17:16 (Ref:2805215)   #164
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
Is this the Simon and Al show?
Old 16 Dec 2010, 17:58 (Ref:2805231)   #165
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Ha ha, no not gloomy and grey and thats a fact! I was gong to appologise for going off topic then I see it was Simons thread!
Old 16 Dec 2010, 19:22 (Ref:2805272)   #166
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Just received info from HMRN / Carol Spragg about next year and new '1000km' (4 races of 250km) for cars that ran in the World Sportscars Championships between 1964 and 1971. Does the Merlyn qualify for that, Simon?

Also of interest is the following paragraph from the email- "In order to stress our commitment to proper period specification, for 2011 we have engaged a permanent eligibility scrutineer, who will be at each meeting to inspect the cars and to help with any eligibility queries. If you are stripping your car over the winter, we ask for volunteers to invite our scrutineer to check the cars while engines are open and suspensions are clearly visible. We believe that this will help to assure other competitors that we are all committed to playing on a level field and help avoid."
Old 17 Dec 2010, 08:18 (Ref:2805464)   #167
simon drabble
Veteran

Mike initially I thiought it would be but when I looked at the suggested list twin cam sports racers were conspicious by their absence...
I think this is for "posh" World Sports Cars....
Johngee to be honest if I was goingto do a 24 hour race I would do it in a modern car or possibly an old 911...
Old 17 Dec 2010, 09:28 (Ref:2805482)   #168
simon drabble
Veteran

I think you had a typo and meant 60's E Type!

Relay is neatly done by Birkett and I think it would be a mistake to try and mirror it. A good friend of mine won a 24 hour race at Dijon (I think) a few years ago in his Cobra so historics can last 24 hours.
Old 17 Dec 2010, 09:29 (Ref:2805483)   #169
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've moved 24hrs posts to a new thread http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126060
Old 17 Dec 2010, 13:40 (Ref:2805595)   #170
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Am sure that Carol's series will include some real Twin Cams.
Old 17 Dec 2010, 13:42 (Ref:2805598)   #171
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
How many have you entered John?
Old 17 Dec 2010, 13:56 (Ref:2805614)   #172
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
I will enter Pre 63 with two cars and sometimes they will be driven by 10/10ths stalwarts.

Will not go to Monza so that rules that out.

Some are on the same card as Pre War so thats convenient.

Sports Cars ,I don't know,HSCC comes first.

Looking for Crossle or Ginetta with BMW as B8 is CER/HSCC bound.

Can I answer any other questions?
Old 17 Dec 2010, 14:39 (Ref:2805628)   #173
simon drabble
Veteran

John I am not sure Carol's series does include Merlyns' 23b's etc as they where not mentioned and to not include them is in itself a statement - personally I would only have been able to do the Donington round and I have committed to Snet 360 instead
Old 17 Dec 2010, 15:00 (Ref:2805636)   #174
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Think only headline cars mentioned but she will have to fill grid with something and thats where twinks come in.

We are doing both Donington and a couple or three cars at Snet.

Will be doing more UK stuff than European.Only ferry bound races Spa,Dijon and Algarve.

Thats along with Tour Auto ,My Rally and Gstaad.

Tour Britannia and Silverstone HSCC and Festival.

Can't see us doing Goodwood!

And thats to many!Will have to cut now have written them down as forgot GTSCC.

No Woodcote this year and giving CER a miss.
Old 17 Dec 2010, 15:04 (Ref:2805639)   #175
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
I will enter Pre 63 with two cars and sometimes they will be driven by 10/10ths stalwarts.

Will not go to Monza so that rules that out.

Some are on the same card as Pre War so thats convenient.

Sports Cars ,I don't know,HSCC comes first.

Looking for Crossle or Ginetta with BMW as B8 is CER/HSCC bound.

Can I answer any other questions?
When you back at home and what are the six numbers I need for this weeks Loto?