Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 2 May 2001, 20:52 (Ref:88083)   #1
arisen
Rookie

arisen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
new F1 rules

Hi everyone!

I'm new to F1, and I was wondering if some one could clarify the newly introduced rules. My understanding is that from the Spanish race onwards they allow TC (and Launch Control) plus the automated gear change, but did they, in the same time, disallow power steering, power assisted breaks and electronically controlled differentials?

I'll keep reading through the posts for specifics, but is this the general idea of what’s in and what’s out?

Thanks!
Old 2 May 2001, 21:25 (Ref:88102)   #2
Chris Gamlin
Rookie

Chris Gamlin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, TC, LC and automatic gearchanges are allowed now. Basically what the FIA have done is say that the engineers have complete freedom on electronics for the driveline (the engine, gearbox, clutch, diff etc), which obviously allows these features to be developed now. Obviously this answers your question about electronic differentials, which are still allowed, but with more freedom than ever.

Of the other things you mentioned, power steering is also still allowed, although I'm not sure about the power assisted brakes (you don't mean ABS do you?). If power (servo-assisted) brakes were allowed I'm not sure whether the teams would use it anyway, as it usually detracts from the feel of the brakes, adds weight, and seeing as the car weighs so little, the driver's foot pressure alone should be sufficient.

Chris
Old 2 May 2001, 23:56 (Ref:88152)   #3
arisen
Rookie

Thank you!

That answered my question. Somehow I thought that steering (and breaks) were "fly by wire" controls (as the throttle is) rather then servo-assisted as you mentioned. Duh!
Thanks again.
Old 7 May 2001, 21:52 (Ref:90000)   #4
arisen
Rookie

This was the source of my confusion http://www.autorace.com/news/feb2001/23feb2001.htm#c1

FIA press release - Technical and sporting regulation changes
with effect from 16 April 2001 ( for Spanish Grand Prix):

Engines - A number of engine control parameters will no longer be restricted, these include:

-throttle, ignition and fuel settings, thus permitting the use of a traction control system;
-pit lane speed limiter;
-engine rev limiter.

Starts - Any system capable of detecting a race start signal will not be permitted.

Clutch - Clutch control during gear changes will no longer be restricted.

Gearbox - Fully automatic gear changes will be permitted.

Suspension - Powered devices of any kind will no longer be permitted in suspension systems. This will prohibit, for example, the use of shock absorbers containing fluid whose characteristics change when electrical current is applied.

Brakes - Powered devices will no longer be permitted in braking systems. (This will prevent the use of computer controlled brakes).

Steering - With the exception of power assistance for 2001 only, powered devices will no longer be permitted in steering systems. (This will prevent the use of computer controlled steering).

Differentials - With the exception of any system which is capable of transferring or diverting torque from a slower to a faster rotating wheel, differential control will now be free. (This will prevent the use of so-called torque-steer differentials).

I'm guessing that powered (as in electrical powered) Suspension, Breaks or Steering were allowed by the FIA but not used by any of the teams because it's impractical?