Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 11 Apr 2019, 07:06 (Ref:3896734)   #751
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Indeed. Unfortunately its not me!
Old 24 Apr 2019, 21:41 (Ref:3899484)   #752
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Yes James you're right again tanks for correcting me. Of course it was already Group A sorry for the mistake. About the lightweight shells made I read somewhere that Ford supplied MkII fist as Peter says then MkIII and sometimes compete kits to convert a MkII into a MkIII. Just hope this point hasn't been covered in one of the fifty pages of this fascinating thread!
Only ever seen 1 full pic of that 'mule; and one pic with it part hidden at that meeting!
Old 27 Apr 2019, 17:13 (Ref:3900046)   #753
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Noticed recently that Ford had the #5336 Group 1 homologation form transferred in GroupA later. Probably useless. This model of Capri remains the car of the seventies, not of the eighties imo.
Old 29 Apr 2019, 22:40 (Ref:3900588)   #754
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Noticed recently that Ford had the #5336 Group 1 homologation form transferred in GroupA later. Probably useless. This model of Capri remains the car of the seventies, not of the eighties imo.
Oddly enough Eichberg got the old faithful 3.0 running very well in Germany in races like Nurby ERC and 24h and the GP supporters in '82 and '83.
But that was before the pukka new cars got into their stride.
Old 15 Feb 2020, 07:46 (Ref:3957686)   #755
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Not a CC car but the advert states light body from Ford werks.
She needs a lot of love: https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/De...caroriginal-24
Old 15 Feb 2020, 08:46 (Ref:3957689)   #756
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You're right Gerard, she definitely needs a lot of TLC. But who knows, this time next year she could be a Goodwood MM entry ? Regarding the lightweight bodywork I'm sure I remember reading that if you leaned too heavily on the bodywork of lightweight Group 1 Capris you could easily cause a dent ! Looking at the number of liveries she has worn in her career, just stripping back the paint should save a few kilos/pounds !
Old 15 Feb 2020, 12:51 (Ref:3957704)   #757
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Yep, sure you're right GC! From J Walton book I learned about those light shells delivered to some teams direct from Köln workplace. If you keep a standard all steel body I dont think possible to go below 1000 kilos, but the limit for a Mk3 is 1061 from memory. The exhaust pipes look great and the carb could be a DFI 5 as per Grp1 homologation. Eligible in many historic meetings, but Le Mans Classic I dont think so…
Old 16 Feb 2020, 09:11 (Ref:3957790)   #758
twincamtommy
Rookie

United Kingdom
Essex
twincamtommy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any one have pictures of Neil Brown IDA Inlet manifold, in-side, with the top off, or drawings please.
Old 16 Feb 2020, 11:11 (Ref:3957795)   #759
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Yep, sure you're right GC! From J Walton book I learned about those light shells delivered to some teams direct from Köln workplace. If you keep a standard all steel body I dont think possible to go below 1000 kilos, but the limit for a Mk3 is 1061 from memory. The exhaust pipes look great and the carb could be a DFI 5 as per Grp1 homologation. Eligible in many historic meetings, but Le Mans Classic I dont think so…
Whilst I'd always prefer to run an IDA, there's nothing fundamentally wrong with the DFI 5. And if it runs to the Group 1.5 homologation which was essentially the Francorchamps Group 1 then it should be acceptable.
Old 16 Feb 2020, 12:35 (Ref:3957802)   #760
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Agreed. The DFI was "the" choice, homologated in FIA Grp1 with two different venturi diameters from memory. Nothing wrong but the 40 mm choke is a natural restrictor. I should remember the 70's rules for the Francorchamps group but I can't! Are you building another Capri if I may ask?
Old 16 Feb 2020, 13:35 (Ref:3957814)   #761
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Agreed. The DFI was "the" choice, homologated in FIA Grp1 with two different venturi diameters from memory. Nothing wrong but the 40 mm choke is a natural restrictor. I should remember the 70's rules for the Francorchamps group but I can't! Are you building another Capri if I may ask?
Hmm, I have one that can be built relatively quickly,complete with engine and Group 1 suspension etc. An ex Ford motorsport Shell. But I need to sell off the Rover before I commit to anything else.
Old 16 Feb 2020, 15:25 (Ref:3957826)   #762
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Assuming your steering wheel is on the "right" side, RHD, is the battery tray on the same side or passenger side? We had more than few real Motorsport shells here. I think one is still alive, an ex Dominique Fornage.
The classifieds give only one Grp1 SD1 is for sale, yours, the others being GrpA Vitesse. Right?
Old 16 Feb 2020, 15:53 (Ref:3957829)   #763
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yup one ex Works SD1 and it's mine, although the sister DPR, ex French Touring Car Rover, now in BSSC spec, is also for sale.

In truth I haven't looked at the Capri for a couple of years but the tray was on the left, passenger side.
Old 16 Feb 2020, 18:32 (Ref:3957840)   #764
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
May be the Motorsport shells could accept either RHD or LHD with a special bulkhead? From the pictures I saw, the Spa cars were RHD. One looks different, the RHD #26 pedaled by Chris Craft/Alain Corbisier in '78 the front scuttle is continental way meaning the wipers are for a LHD. May be a converted MkII? This car took the lead then crashed.
Old 16 Feb 2020, 18:51 (Ref:3957845)   #765
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
The battery tray sits at the front of the engine bay behind the headlights, nowhere near the bulkhead.
Old 28 Apr 2020, 11:27 (Ref:3973341)   #766
twincamtommy
Rookie

United Kingdom
Essex
twincamtommy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any one help with Capri Parts please.

Hi, Can any one help me with parts I need for my Gp1 Capri restoration please. I need the following parts. NOS, or Mint S/H Mk3 bonnet, NOS or rust free, S/H N/side h/light bucket, NOS or mint N/side door. Mint S or base door & quarter panel trims in Black or brown. please message me, if you can help with this piece
of History.
Old 11 Apr 2021, 11:36 (Ref:4045542)   #767
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twincamtommy View Post
Hi, Can any one help me with parts I need for my Gp1 Capri restoration please. I need the following parts. NOS, or Mint S/H Mk3 bonnet, NOS or rust free, S/H N/side h/light bucket, NOS or mint N/side door. Mint S or base door & quarter panel trims in Black or brown. please message me, if you can help with this piece
of History.
How are you getting on with the project 12 months on?
Old 4 Jun 2021, 13:52 (Ref:4054606)   #768
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Sad to share the news that Vince Woodman passed away on Wednesday aged 83.

He had been poorly for sometime and one of his sons. James came on last Autumn to update us.

One of the legends of the UK saloon car racing scene.

R.I.P
Old 26 Mar 2022, 07:54 (Ref:4104321)   #769
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Thred refresh!

Looking forward to learning which CCcars are entered for the Goodwood MM in a couple of weeks.

Assuming the quickest and more 'famous' car/owner/driver combos will have been invited back but wonder if any new rebuilds or evocations will make an appearance.

It would be nice if a nod is made to the late Vince Woodman and have as manybof his old cars running or on show as possible.
Old 31 Mar 2022, 07:55 (Ref:4104952)   #770
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Six Mk III and one MK II from the entry list posted by Malcolm Smith:

https://www.goodwood.com/globalasset...c-29.03.22.pdf
Interesting to see drivers like Soper, Huff, Blomqvist and Needell at wheel.
Old 2 Aug 2022, 00:06 (Ref:4121475)   #771
zakspeed65
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
zakspeed65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CC 5 is out of restoration and had a shakedown earlier this year, a small engine issue meant engine out and currently going to dyno then back in car for the upcoming historic racing season in NZ!
I am very happy how the car has come out, went reasonably well for the limited laps I did!
I can’t manage to upload photos but will in due course!

Last edited by zakspeed65; 2 Aug 2022 at 00:20.
Old 1 Jan 2023, 21:42 (Ref:4138686)   #772
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakspeed65 View Post
CC 5 is out of restoration and had a shakedown earlier this year, a small engine issue meant engine out and currently going to dyno then back in car for the upcoming historic racing season in NZ!
I am very happy how the car has come out, went reasonably well for the limited laps I did!
Happy new year, looking forward to hearing and seeing how the car is going...
Old 2 Jan 2023, 08:07 (Ref:4138696)   #773
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakspeed65 View Post
Phillip Island isnt that far from NZ!

Best of luck with it and look forward to any updates

I did notice this though.... NZ based
https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/De...-group-5-capri
Old 4 Jan 2023, 09:32 (Ref:4138874)   #774
zakspeed65
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
CC5 is ready, shake down done, first historic meeting in a month!
Attached Thumbnails
F693549D-8A88-4EEF-A3A8-76A89054FE66.jpeg   B437146C-5323-457F-84FB-CB479FA13520.jpeg   FB09DEA2-7BF3-48DC-9807-2D0174775697.jpeg  

B0691B68-EE3A-4A91-BC6A-EB77415AB9D0.jpeg   2EA4D0B3-7B5C-41F5-8C55-A60004899E0A.jpeg   4FAC9F22-BA74-4D58-B27B-3B68A8F3D547.jpeg  

Old 4 Jan 2023, 09:44 (Ref:4138876)   #775
zakspeed65
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
A short clip of the last pull a couple of months back!

Tags
andy rouse, belga, belgian touring cars, broadspeed, capri mk3, cc motorsport, cc racing development, chris craft, dave cook, equipe esso, gordon spice, group 1, group 1 capri, group 1.5, jeff allam, jonathan buncombe, martin brothers, neil brown, pete clark, spa 24 hours, swindon engines, tricentrol, vince woodman