Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 17 Mar 2008, 10:43 (Ref:2154545)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Where to for Courtney in 2009?

MeN suggests (finally!!) that Mr Courtney is off to different pastures next season......

Where may he end up... and why??

The driver's megadollar deal with Ford, and his SBR contract both conclude at season's end, meaning a red car may be in teh picture as well......

#22 anyone?
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 17 Mar 2008, 10:55 (Ref:2154554)   #2
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nah, that's Tander's car (assuming you mean HRT as #22)
My bet is Lowndes to HRT, and Courtney to maybe 888 if they will have him.

Mick
Old 17 Mar 2008, 11:09 (Ref:2154561)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Of interest is the noise out of the Melbourne paddock that the JeldWen branding may disappear to wherever Mr Courtney is said to land....

Would WP accommodate Mr Courtney in one of its other teams... BJR perhaps.. or HSVDT?
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 17 Mar 2008, 11:13 (Ref:2154564)   #4
banksie
Racer

Australia
Victoria
banksie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How much Jeld Wen branding would follow? Jeld Wen's sponsorship of St. Kilda was suggested to take much of their budget, squeezing V8's out.
Old 17 Mar 2008, 11:26 (Ref:2154574)   #5
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He has hardly set the world on fire at SBR .... after dizzying heights in Europe as an F1 test driver and all.

Camp Holden seem keen to burgle drivers with budget irrespective of talent....as Dumbrell proved again at the F1 with his "wee" off.

The concrete canyon at Hamilton will likely see Dumbrell create more crash expenditure.

Ross and Jim must be somewhat relieved
Old 17 Mar 2008, 11:53 (Ref:2154592)   #6
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The article mentions that 888 would like to expand to 4 cars. Which begs where the extra 2 slots would come from. With SBR potentially losing its star driver and major sponsor, presumably receving a fair bit less from SP than they did from Caltex for the 2nd car, receiving less love from Ford, and having seen what has happened to Dick Johnson, will Jimmy & Ross decide to cash in their chips?
Old 17 Mar 2008, 12:02 (Ref:2154598)   #7
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
do SBR have any say in Frosty now or did that end sometime through the time at Larkem or when he headed FPR's way? although Frosty might be sick of botched starts to a season at FPR so might want out, maybe a swap there or a swap with Lowndes at 888 if he is to stay blue.

has the Rick to Nascar Trucks still got any momentum, maybe #15 is Courtney's destination???

i don't think Skaife will retire although who knows (i hope not), if Jeld-Wen come then HSV won't give a crap about AutoBarn so #16 could be his drive, although didn't Gary Dumbrell buy a share in HSV with Dumbrell and AutoBarn going there could put a spanner in the works there.

i can't see BJR letting go of the son and nepfew AJ and Cam is going good so no need to drop him and BJR liked him in their last stint together and by the looks of things nothings changed, and i think Walky has bugger all to say in that team as they arew just customers, something the Kelly's and Skaife should of done, but thats another thread.

me personally would like to see him stay blue, i'm happy with the current Holden gang.
Old 17 Mar 2008, 12:20 (Ref:2154617)   #8
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The other thing is that young James may have to take a substantial pay cut. From memory his current contract (was quoted as being in the region of $1 million at the time) is paid for by Ford, and with these deals no longer happening, may explain why the Japanese sportscar option may be a viable alternative.
Old 17 Mar 2008, 12:41 (Ref:2154632)   #9
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gee that's a surprise to hear! JC proved last year that he can keep his nose clean. It's hard to imagine he is on the outer at SBR or is it just a better offer?

He's getting good dough at SBR. I'd imagine that the new team would offer him a substantial sum. Don't know if he's worth the megabucks though... but better than Dumbrell for sure.
Old 17 Mar 2008, 12:55 (Ref:2154651)   #10
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It!
Camp Holden seem keen to burgle drivers with budget irrespective of talent....
I dont think this applies to Courtney.

Raw talent wise, there isnt any better in the v8 field than him.

The heavy v8s dont seem to suit his style but also the fact he stepped in to SBR on their way down.
Old 17 Mar 2008, 14:00 (Ref:2154690)   #11
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like Courtney, but if some of this years performances, and the reactions to those performances, are going to become the norm perhaps he'd be better appreciated overseas.
Old 18 Mar 2008, 01:48 (Ref:2155268)   #12
Prickly_Goo
Veteran

Australia
somewhere you arent...
Prickly_Goo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could we see James in a WP Holden? I would highly doubt that.. If he's like any blue oval driver, he could resign with Ford, and look elsewhere at perhaps Britek or perhaps bring some much needed money to DJR?

Where I get Britek from is Marshall as i understand is on a one year deal and me thinks that if Brighty gets a good enough driver the second car might actually be decent...

DJR.. would Dick sack his son for another top field driver?.. I dont know.. maybe..if he's desperate..I could be completely wrong..

and re the Japanese Sports Car option, would James really uproot his young family for a move to Sushi land? One would think not..
Old 18 Mar 2008, 04:06 (Ref:2155307)   #13
ford boy
Veteran

ford boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Courtney does move on i would like to see Dean Canto take his spot. I think he would do very well for himself there.
Old 18 Mar 2008, 04:28 (Ref:2155314)   #14
glenn_a
Racer

Australia
not far from the paddocks of Oran Park
glenn_a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am a fan of James, but latley his driving standards leave alot to be desired. if he is be back off to the red side, Can't really see to many teams wanting him at the moment execpt maybe HSVdT or HRT.
And is so could we see Todd jump ship, doesn't he have a one year deal with Larry?
Old 18 Mar 2008, 05:33 (Ref:2155323)   #15
GtiMagic
Racer

GtiMagic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGtiMagic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know this is off topic, but I wonder where people draw the conclusion that "his driving standards of late leave alot to be desired".

The only incident that he had total brain snap was spinning JBright around at the GP, although some would argue JB deserved it. The others were all him on the receiving end. Admittedly The JRichards thing at Clipsal may well have been avoided had he have waited til another turn although equally it may well have been avoided if JR accepted he was going a lap down and came off the throttle. Dont start me on the CLowndes crash, nor the disaster that SBR presented him at ECreek.

As to his whereabouts in 09 I dont know. I know this though. I believe he will win races this year and will the Championship in 09!
Old 18 Mar 2008, 09:42 (Ref:2155427)   #16
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
What's Skaife doing at seasons end? Maybe he will vacate his seat at the end of this year.
Old 18 Mar 2008, 09:52 (Ref:2155436)   #17
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I thought that we (I) had decided that Lowndes was going to Skaife's drive, and that Courtney could maybe drive for 888.

Mick
Old 18 Mar 2008, 10:31 (Ref:2155472)   #18
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In all honesty, if JC does go to a Holden team, I hope it's not a 'top' team.

I'd much prefer to see him in a level 2 team... and see how he develops the car and the team around him.

I presume SBR's 'lack of confidence' in JC doesn't auger well for any well funded team.
Old 18 Mar 2008, 12:32 (Ref:2155565)   #19
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JC and Adrian Burgess are good friends?

Wasn't it mentioned somewhere here last year that FPR might be interested in engineering a swap with SBR with Richo?
Old 18 Mar 2008, 12:54 (Ref:2155591)   #20
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
JC to PMM.
Old 19 Mar 2008, 00:02 (Ref:2156081)   #21
Racenut7
Veteran

Racenut7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't bet on it
Morris hates Courtney
Ingall will not like to be Courtney's teammate again
Old 19 Mar 2008, 00:34 (Ref:2156102)   #22
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
umm, thats the point!
Old 19 Mar 2008, 02:46 (Ref:2156163)   #23
TheTaipan
Rookie

TheTaipan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And with a young family - I'm not sure Mrs Courtney would be keen to move, so a Qld team seems logical although not definite... and with PMM unlikely to pick up the deal, its like a ford... the only Red options would be HRT if Skaife does go, or HSVDT if Kelly goes stateside...
Old 19 Mar 2008, 03:27 (Ref:2156180)   #24
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTaipan
And with a young family - I'm not sure Mrs Courtney would be keen to move, so a Qld team seems logical although not definite... and with PMM unlikely to pick up the deal, its like a ford... the only Red options would be HRT if Skaife does go, or HSVDT if Kelly goes stateside...
Where does the scuttlebut say that Kelly is going to go stateside? Follow Ambrose into NASCAR? Sound interesting, anyway.

Mick
Old 19 Mar 2008, 03:45 (Ref:2156188)   #25
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Would be nice to see an Aussie in SuperGT again, great series but yeah I can't see JC moving his young family back to Japan.