Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 27 Nov 2020, 17:43 (Ref:4019133)   #2226
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
IT hardware can be installed in days - but the software doesn't exist in any usuable form. Currently the government systems aren't available for us to test with (because they don't work) and current projections don't have them ready for January 1st. Also we still don't know exactly what information is needed for all of the interfaces we need with the various systems. We're 'best guessing' a lot of stuff at the moment so there's going to need to be rework when we actually find out what's required.

some of the software should exist in theory in case of no deal as the EU would go to WTO status and the software to cover this must already be in use

would have been more difficult if a deal had been agreed as the software would have to be tailor made

on the other hand (sorry if I am repeating this)
in the port of Hamburg, with computer systems and software that has been working for years the queue to get a container cleared by customs is usually 3 days. This means that a trucker has to book slots in advance to anticipate getting a container out quickly
At least this avoids the actual trucks and containers sitting in a real queue for 3 days, we just have a virtual one.
based on this, with nothing working and tested yet and without any trucking companies trained to use such booking systems, I would expect a very painful time for while until procedures are worked out.

The booking system for clearance slots and a reasonably automated customs clearance, with advance filing of documents, is, in my humble opinion as a co-owner of an international trading house, much much more important than the car park, this might be needed but is a necessary evil and not a solution

RudE
Old 27 Nov 2020, 17:44 (Ref:4019134)   #2227
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Hi Griff, based on your above post, I think you missed the syntax of the underlying metaphor.
I did too, I just thought the whole lot was a shower of ****

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 27 Nov 2020, 17:56 (Ref:4019137)   #2228
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudernst View Post
some of the software should exist in theory in case of no deal as the EU would go to WTO status and the software to cover this must already be in use
Indeed, it once again smacks of a civil service refusing to accept the vote (for righ or wrong).

Quote:
would have been more difficult if a deal had been agreed as the software would have to be tailor made
Good point.

Quote:
in the port of Hamburg, with computer systems and software that has been working for years the queue to get a container cleared by customs is usually 3 days. This means that a trucke
r has to book slots in advance to anticipate getting a container out quickly
At least this avoids the actual trucks and containers sitting in a real queue for 3 days, we just have a virtual one.
based on this, with nothing working and tested yet and without any trucking companies trained to use such booking systems, I would expect a very painful time for while until procedures are worked out.
Yup and this is what I've witnessed all around the world. That said corrupt customs officials in some (unmentioned) locations can be a pain.

Quote:
The booking system for clearance slots and a reasonably automated customs clearance, with advance filing of documents, is, in my humble opinion as a co-owner of an international trading house, much much more important than the car park, this might be needed but is a necessary evil and not a solution

RudE
Again, not rocket science, similar to electronic passports. We need them but they are not restricted to EU borders. Any border where they have the systems can use them.
Old 27 Nov 2020, 20:23 (Ref:4019167)   #2229
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
The problem we've got is that the government systems we need to interface with aren't ready - so we can't test anything. The other big headache at the moment is Northern Ireland - there's an article on the bbc website that gives some of the details:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-55087956

There's a lot more info about stuff here: https://www.bifa.org/home (if you're suffering from insomnia this will help).

Quote:
in the port of Hamburg, with computer systems and software that has been working for years the queue to get a container cleared by customs is usually 3 days. This means that a trucker has to book slots in advance to anticipate getting a container out quickly
That's fine for car parts, bricks, lumps of metal, cars etc - but for food (and short life food at that) 3 days is the products entire shelf life. As it stands we're going to have to submit the electronic paperwork to the port 24 hours before the truck arrives - at the moment we don't have the stock 24 hours before the truck gets to the port. So you're going to lose a day of shelf life whilst the product sits on the warehouse floor for a day (currently the warehouse operation holds no stock - it's pick to zero every day).

There's going to be a huge amount of waste (certainly at the start of the new rules - hopefully it'll get streamlined). We've seen before when the tunnel has been closed or the ports are on strike/blockaded that our trucks in the queue eventually give up as the product inside becomes worthless (particularly true of short life chilled product). The worry is that the loss of shelf life and the extra costs involved just makes the operation unprofitable.
Old 28 Nov 2020, 22:23 (Ref:4019296)   #2230
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:

RudE
I believe the truckers booking in advance (the ports charge a fee BTW) is the system for a lot of UK ports now although it seems to be falling down in some places from what I've read. When I drove a container truck many years ago you'd just turn up and queue, sometimes for three days although back then in the 70s and early 80s the containers were near enough already cleared customs as they came off the boat. Perishables like bananas for instance would come straight off the boat and onto the back of a truck to be delivered
Old 29 Nov 2020, 12:51 (Ref:4019366)   #2231
Robert Farrell
Racer

Robert Farrell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Without,of course, opening a whole new can of worms!
What the majority of those involved in club level motor sport need to know is, for example, how all this stuff affects two blokes in a transit van, towing a racing car on their way to Spa?
Old 29 Nov 2020, 12:53 (Ref:4019367)   #2232
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Indeed, a good question I'm working on the basis that if you aren't going on business you can apply for a carnet which can be checked in both directions should the authorities desire. Where the carnet comes from is a different matter.
Old 29 Nov 2020, 16:09 (Ref:4019456)   #2233
Bob Pomeroy
Rookie

United Kingdom
Herts
Bob Pomeroy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having ploughed my way through

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...nd-cpd-carnets

I think you would need a CPD carnet (see section 5) - but I could be wrong!!
Old 29 Nov 2020, 16:15 (Ref:4019459)   #2234
Bob Pomeroy
Rookie

United Kingdom
Herts
Bob Pomeroy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Indeed, a good question I'm working on the basis that if you aren't going on business you can apply for a carnet which can be checked in both directions should the authorities desire. Where the carnet comes from is a different matter.
I think that this explains the different carnets available and their sources:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/notice-104-ata-and-cpd-carnets/notice-104-ata-and-cpd-carnets
Old 29 Nov 2020, 17:26 (Ref:4019488)   #2235
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Ok, got this from Bob Pomeroy,

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...nd-cpd-carnets
Old 29 Nov 2020, 20:22 (Ref:4019527)   #2236
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That is a handy link Peter.
Without spending hours reading it does,nt look very different to when I was doing a lot of European events in the 80s until Schengen took most of the border customs posts away.
The hassle then was a duplicate sheet for in & out of each country , which was a lot of writing if it was like , France into Belgium into Holland into Germany , and then the same for return .
From memory I used to get the forms from a local HM C&E office and don,t think they cost hardly anything . But have heard that they might cost money now .
Old 29 Nov 2020, 22:54 (Ref:4019569)   #2237
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
It's not hours to read it, but it doesn't answer all questions either.
The ATA carnet part states -
'that the carnet is presented to customs for endorsement each time the goods enter or leave a country or customs territory (for customs purposes the UK and EU are treated as a single territory)'
which AIUI is not the case from 1jan21 so it's either presupposing a free movement deal, or doesn't help us as they don't know what will happen.
If the race car is road registered then the CPD carnet applies (see 5.2) and this is the one that the FIA have currently only authorised CARS Ltd to issue for UK users as mentioned in previous posts, but MSUK are looking at alternative suppliers.
It is not clear whether one might need a CPD carnet for a road-registered race car and an ATA carnet for all the spares and tools and pit equipment that go with it.
Old 30 Nov 2020, 11:18 (Ref:4019643)   #2238
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
It's not hours to read it, but it doesn't answer all questions either.
The ATA carnet part states -
'that the carnet is presented to customs for endorsement each time the goods enter or leave a country or customs territory (for customs purposes the UK and EU are treated as a single territory)'
which AIUI is not the case from 1jan21 so it's either presupposing a free movement deal, or doesn't help us as they don't know what will happen.
If the race car is road registered then the CPD carnet applies (see 5.2) and this is the one that the FIA have currently only authorised CARS Ltd to issue for UK users as mentioned in previous posts, but MSUK are looking at alternative suppliers.
It is not clear whether one might need a CPD carnet for a road-registered race car and an ATA carnet for all the spares and tools and pit equipment that go with it.
Back in the day I was in the C&E offices going over some details with them .
They said at the time that the car did not need to be on the carnet because it was registered and in my name .But the carnet was needed for all of the spares etc .
Looking on this https://www.gov.uk/government/public...nd-cpd-carnets it seems to say that a CPD is only needed for some countries that are not in Europe .
So a bit more reading up might be needed to find out how it will all work next year .
Old 30 Nov 2020, 13:13 (Ref:4019663)   #2239
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
Looking on this https://www.gov.uk/government/public...nd-cpd-carnets it seems to say that a CPD is only needed for some countries that are not in Europe .
So a bit more reading up might be needed to find out how it will all work next year .
Not possible at this time - the document is dated last February so is the same as was discussed here some months ago. They/we simply don't yet know what the situation will be after 1Jan21 - either some sort of 'deal' or not - so we still have to wait and see. One might optimistically think that somewhere there are two possible updates to this document, and the relevant one will be published when the new UK-EU arrangements are decided.
Old 30 Nov 2020, 13:24 (Ref:4019668)   #2240
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think it's close to impossible to predict what sort of deal will be announced. No doubt there is already the small matter of how we can get this country back on track after what has happened this year, so Brexit has almost been a side issue this year it seems. With uncertain times ahead it's a case of wait and see and just hope enough people get the good end of the stick in terms of a deal.

It's been easy to forget about the whole January 1st 2021, but we know it will still happen, if only we could more info ASAP and then we can then start to plan what to do from there and also can prepare ourselves for any potential issues in the future, rather than worry about what might or might not happen as a result of this. All I hope is we don't get too complacent about this unceratin future, because it is that tbh
Old 1 Dec 2020, 09:42 (Ref:4019852)   #2241
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Meh there's something no-one foresaw. Just had an email increasing my processing fees for non-European cards. European ones have decreased so could I please ask everyone to pay with a card drawing on their European account?
Old 1 Dec 2020, 09:44 (Ref:4019853)   #2242
midgetman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
They/we simply don't yet know what the situation will be after 1Jan21 - either some sort of 'deal' or not - so we still have to wait and see. One might optimistically think that somewhere there are two possible updates to this document, and the relevant one will be published when the new UK-EU arrangements are decided.
That's what's so **** isn't it? A month to go and no-one knows what's going on. It doesn't impact me directly thankfully, beyond the increase in processing fees, but for big international traders this is an awful time.
Old 1 Dec 2020, 10:55 (Ref:4019862)   #2243
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
That's what's so **** isn't it? A month to go and no-one knows what's going on. It doesn't impact me directly thankfully, beyond the increase in processing fees, but for big international traders this is an awful time.
why? when is the first big international race meeting in the EU in 2021?
March? April? May? Surely a big international trader can sort themselves out in 3 months? And for general haulage there have been endless radio ads lately giving advice on what needs to be done.
Old 1 Dec 2020, 12:53 (Ref:4019903)   #2244
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Meh there's something no-one foresaw. Just had an email increasing my processing fees for non-European cards. European ones have decreased so could I please ask everyone to pay with a card drawing on their European account?

No longer have a card processing account but I don't understand this - who on earth do you use as a processing agent?
Old 1 Dec 2020, 13:36 (Ref:4019908)   #2245
midgetman
Veteran

Company.called Square. It's a bit more expensive than some but the POS and online services are first class. Quality not price is important at times

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 1 Dec 2020, 22:19 (Ref:4020039)   #2246
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Buyer beware
Had some quotes for boarder clearance.
Comical. It’s just a normal forwarding /clearance agents daily job and people should not be robbed
Old 2 Dec 2020, 08:08 (Ref:4020107)   #2247
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Buyer beware
Comical. It’s just a normal forwarding /clearance agents daily job and people should not be robbed
Be careful how you clear-out those boarders - they might rob you!
Old 2 Dec 2020, 09:28 (Ref:4020119)   #2248
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Buyer beware
John, this is quite simple, at the moment there is more demand than supply for customs clearance, so prices go up.
The logistics industry will adjust and supply will increase because of the healthy profit margings currently on the table and that will lead to increased supply and will force the prices down in the longer run

RudE
Old 2 Dec 2020, 09:55 (Ref:4020123)   #2249
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
It all seems quite simple at the moment, makes you wonder why anyone wants it changed.
Old 2 Dec 2020, 15:51 (Ref:4020185)   #2250
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
It all seems quite simple at the moment, makes you wonder why anyone wants it changed.
Because, for a start, open borders work both ways.
Also, making it easier for the hoi polloi to go on holiday is not worth £11 billion p.a. (2018 figure from ONS)