Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 5 Aug 2002, 21:47 (Ref:469992)   #1
Fred Scatley
Racer

Fred Scatley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 in the 60s/70s

To stop threads getting to long I thought I would start one about F1. How about the Lotus Turbine in 71
Attached Thumbnails
lotus jet 71.jpg  
Old 5 Aug 2002, 21:49 (Ref:469993)   #2
Fred Scatley
Racer

Also G Hill in the Brabham Claw
Attached Thumbnails
g hill claw brabham.jpg  
Old 5 Aug 2002, 21:50 (Ref:469994)   #3
Fred Scatley
Racer

1971 Silverstone
Attached Thumbnails
f1 sil 71.jpg  
Old 5 Aug 2002, 21:56 (Ref:469987)   #4
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Re: F1 in the 60s/70s

Quote:
Originally posted by Fred Scatley
To stop threads getting to long I thought I would start one about F1.
Bravo Fred!! This thread is going to be mega and very long! Right, where are those pics I can scan?
I was at those meetings you have posted, happy days!
Old 5 Aug 2002, 22:11 (Ref:469984)   #5
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well not sure about happy days...That Lotus just 'whistled' when it went by, thank God it did not catch on. Otherwise no more V12 / V10 / V8 roars.

I too was at all three of the photo's but at different parts of the track. I do look back and ask what the hell happened to F1 as now all the cars are alike and little scope for the lateral thinker.

Simon
Old 6 Aug 2002, 10:00 (Ref:469986)   #6
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
how to relax after a race

or for some people, how to relax before as well
Attached Thumbnails
james_hunt-small.jpg  
Old 7 Aug 2002, 20:52 (Ref:469995)   #7
Fred Scatley
Racer

Not sure when . G Hill & J Stewart in background is it J Siffert in foreground?
Attached Thumbnails
bh unknown.jpg  
Old 7 Aug 2002, 21:00 (Ref:469988)   #8
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes Fred, in Rob Walker's Lotus. I think it is the Race of Champions at Brands in 1969. It's not the GP that Siffert won in 68 because it has a high front wing. The high wings were banned at the Monaco GP a month or so later.
Old 9 Aug 2002, 21:46 (Ref:469991)   #9
racing fxgt
Racer

racing fxgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1973 Ensign MN01 Formula one Cosworth DFV driven by Rikky Von Opel
Attached Thumbnails
formula 1.jpg  
Old 17 Aug 2002, 10:55 (Ref:469989)   #10
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
The first lap of the 71 British GP at a remarkably flat and featureless Silverstone!
Attached Thumbnails
f1silv71.jpg  
Old 20 Aug 2002, 20:05 (Ref:469985)   #11
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good to see some things never change eh!

Right will someone please hurry up and invent a time machine, I envy those of you who were at these meetings in person. You're lucky people!
Old 20 Aug 2002, 20:27 (Ref:469990)   #12
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Paulzinho - yes they were great times but there was a downside too. We tend to look back thru' rose tinted glasses, but some things have improved greatly as they should. When it was wet it was just as muddy as Silv was in 2000 as there were no proper tarmac footpaths. Anyone remember the old Silverstone seats in the stands? It was a 'sack cloth' type material suspended between scaffolding poles. When the person next to you stood up, you sank. When they sat down again you took off! The stand roof always leaked too. The toilets are far better now despite a few gripes still.
The racing was sometimes processional like now and the attrition rate was often terrible but there were some cracking races too particularly below F1. For me, the cars were just so much nicer to look at and you could get so close! The variety was great too. I remember an International Trophy race at Silverstone in the early 70s. The F1/F5000 race with great sounds and top drivers of the day supported by the British F3 Championship ( 75 cars - 2 heats and a final!), the RAC British Saloon car Championship, a 2 litre Group 5 sportscar race, Formula Atlantic, historics and a stand alone F5000 race - all at the same meeting!
For this reason, the golden age of racing for me personally was the mid 60s to late 70s - the period I grew up in and fell in love with the sport.