Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 28 May 2018, 15:33 (Ref:3825262)   #1
hellfire31
Rookie

hellfire31 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Recommended places to stay

Hi All
First off i am new to track Marshalling, i have done lots of rally stages (both driving and marshalling).
Looking to go to Silverstone and Brands in September for the first time and was looking to stay over somewhere close by, as i am coming from wiltshire, and didnt want to camp out. Travelodge or B&B would be choice as i am a marshal and skint
Old 29 May 2018, 08:42 (Ref:3825396)   #2
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Can't speak for Brands, but there are a number of cheap (ish) hotels within 15 to 20 minutes of Silverstone. Look at Milton Keynes and Northampton - there are chain hotels in Towcester and just down the A43 towards Brackley (the Green Man) but they mysteriously raise their room rates when events are on...

There's also a number of decent B&Bs close to the circuit too.

I can't recommend a specific one though as I usually go home
Old 29 May 2018, 15:35 (Ref:3825472)   #3
John Widdowson
Rookie

John Widdowson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brands Hatch

I recently raced at Brands Hatch and stayed at the Premier Inn at Swanley. It has a good Beefeater next door and was reasonably priced.
Old 29 May 2018, 19:32 (Ref:3825524)   #4
hellfire31
Rookie

cheers for the advice peeps, i have booked a hotel about 6 miles away from silverstone at Old Stratford (the swan) £40 a night no breakie though. then booked Mary rose inn at bromley for brands for only £45 a night with breakie.

Trivago app is very good at finding decent places and you get to book now and pay when you arrive so you can get the best deal before they put the price up.
Old 29 May 2018, 20:02 (Ref:3825540)   #5
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellfire31 View Post
then booked Mary rose inn at bromley for brands for only £45 a night with breakie.
Not wishing to worry you too much but be careful where you park and don't leave anything of value in the car and nothing on show. That is not a particularly nice area.
BTW, welcome to Ten Tenths
Old 29 May 2018, 20:54 (Ref:3825543)   #6
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Not sure what dates you're looking at in September but the Premier Inn Swanley seem reasonably priced, nearer and probably a far nicer hotel to stay at than the Mary Rose
Old 29 May 2018, 22:09 (Ref:3825562)   #7
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=hellfire31;3825524]cheers for the advice peeps, i have booked a hotel about 6 miles away from silverstone at Old Stratford (the swan) £40 a night no breakie though. then booked Mary rose inn at bromley for brands for only £45 a night with breakie.

Don't worry about the no brekkie for Silverstone, when you sign on you'll get a voucher that you can use in the Diner,
Old 30 May 2018, 04:06 (Ref:3825584)   #8
hellfire31
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Not wishing to worry you too much but be careful where you park and don't leave anything of value in the car and nothing on show. That is not a particularly nice area.
BTW, welcome to Ten Tenths
ahhhh right ...see this is why you guys with experience can help us noobs. luckily i havn't paid for it yet just reserved it. i'll look at your other suggestion. Thanks very much.
Old 30 May 2018, 20:37 (Ref:3825732)   #9
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
ahhhh right ...see this is why you guys with experience can help us noobs. luckily i havn't paid for it yet just reserved it. i'll look at your other suggestion. Thanks very much.
I can't help with the quality of hotels although the reviews on the Mary Rose make it look dire, a year ago it was a Nepalese (I think) restaurant and something different a few years ago, I can offer an insight into the areas as I live 15 minutes from brands and about 5 minutes from that hotel.
Send me a PM if you want to know anything specific.
Also, breakfast at Brands is very good for seven or eight quid and I'm sure a lot of the organisers offer vouchers.
Old 31 May 2018, 12:35 (Ref:3825869)   #10
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
[QUOTE=The Fat Clerk;3825562]
Quote:
cheers for the advice peeps, i have booked a hotel about 6 miles away from silverstone at Old Stratford (the swan) £40 a night no breakie though. then booked Mary rose inn at bromley for brands for only £45 a night with breakie.

Don't worry about the no brekkie for Silverstone, when you sign on you'll get a voucher that you can use in the Diner,
*usually, depending on the organising club
Old 31 May 2018, 17:10 (Ref:3825896)   #11
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fish

[QUOTE=Woolley;3825869]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post

*usually, depending on the organising club
The voucher is from Silverstone, in addition to anything else the Organising Club may give you.
e,g. @ the MGCC meeting this weekend you will get a food voucher from Silverstone & then a sew on badge, a tenner a day and a Saturday Evening B.B.Q ticket from the MG Car Club.
Old 31 May 2018, 18:25 (Ref:3825906)   #12
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

Trivago app is very good at finding decent places and you get to book now and pay when you arrive so you can get the best deal before they put the price up.

Just be aware that by going through third party sites you may not be getting the best price. Many hotels & B & Bs will guarantee the lowest price if you book direct & may offer other perks such as, for example, enhanced wifi access: in some cases you may need to join their (free) loyalty scheme. Normal practice is that you use your credit card to guarantee the room but no payment is taken & if you cancel within their specified cancellation period, typically 24 hours before your stay is due to start you will not be charged. In some cases prepayment may be cheaper, but in the case of a no-show you won't get a refund.

By insinuating a third party between you & the hotel you're adding another, possibly worse, set of terms & conditions, in addition to which the hotel has to pay an extortionate level of commission.