Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 24 Oct 2006, 02:24 (Ref:1746979)   #1
deaninkc
Rookie

deaninkc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Holbay R68 info needed

I have a Holbay R68 F3 engine that is complete but is in need of a rebuild. Is Holbay still in business? I could not find anything on the internet. Does anyone know where I could find some information on it?
Old 24 Oct 2006, 13:34 (Ref:1747583)   #2
jjordan
Racer

jjordan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
deaninkc try:

www.holbay.co.uk

don't know where you are located but there are a couple of excellent engine builders in Kansas City that could rebuild this engine and save you a ton in shipping.
Old 24 Oct 2006, 15:24 (Ref:1747716)   #3
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought that the correct spelling was John Reid, the website says Read!

They don't mention the older engines but shouldn't be a problem for them to rebuild an MAE engine, if it is then Stuart Rolt is a safe bet.
Old 25 Oct 2006, 18:24 (Ref:1749238)   #4
Matthew Sturmer
Rookie

Matthew Sturmer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Holbay are no longer trading but all of the assets were bought by one of the guys who used to work for them. I cannot rember the name of the new business but he is still at the address and phone number listed on the holbay website.

I went to see him about 18 months ago because I was interested in getting a F3 twin cam built. Whilst he was very helpful all of the old "F3 twincam knowledge" has left the business. Most of what they build now are pinto rally engines. They still have all of the original cam profiles, casts for rods and things of that nature and they sold all of the other one litre screamer stuff to Stuart Rolt some time ago.

If you "just" need the engine rebuilding I know that Colin Holt has recently built a 1600 F3 twin cam for Albert Clements Lotus and I had my 2L one built by Frank Anderson.

If you need contact details let me know and I will dig some out.
Old 25 Oct 2006, 20:01 (Ref:1749337)   #5
fyrth
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bristol
fyrth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree that both Stuart Rolt and Colin Holt have good reputations for Ford FJ/MAE 'screamers' and F3 twin cams respectively. Another alternative might be Connaught near Sittingbourne who at present have both my FJ and Holbay twin cam engines - I hasten to add as a paying customer! Once again PM me if you want to contact them.
Old 26 Oct 2006, 13:31 (Ref:1750054)   #6
deaninkc
Rookie

deaninkc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, I live in Kansas City. The engine sat at Williams Engines for some time but since he is so busy with FF engines I've had a hard time getting Charlie to work on it. I've build a number of engines and have a very good machine shop available with a dyno so I decided to tackle it. The engine had dropped a valve before I purchased it and needs a piston, a pair of valves and retainers and a intake valve spring. I can get replacements for all these but would have to buy sets and would I would also like to replace them with the original type if possible. I am also in need of Vandervell bearing of the original type, but I understand these are becoming hard to get.