Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 4 Feb 2016, 12:10 (Ref:3611526)   #1
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What is the Real incentive of LMP1-L vs LMP2?

OK, so LMP1-L are faster and compete in the Top Class of WEC and at Le Mans, but realistically, if all 6 Factory cars survive, you are aiming at 7th Overall at best. Surely if LMP1-L didn't exist, then LMP2 would still be aiming at the same 7th Overall, but you'd also have a car eligible to compete for Overall Wins in other Classic races at Daytona 24hr, Sebring 12hr and Petit-Lemans. I'm probably missing something, just not sure what.
Old 4 Feb 2016, 12:19 (Ref:3611530)   #2
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC2guy View Post
I'm probably missing something, just not sure what.
You're missing two to three years of constant awkward politicial movement among all stakeholders
Old 4 Feb 2016, 12:21 (Ref:3611532)   #3
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
I'm sort of with you there. It guarantees an entry at Le Mans pretty much, which will be a struggle for a lot of P2 runners this year potentially.

You can also run an all-pro lineup; neither of Rebellion's crews would be eligible in P2.

From now going forward, it's the only option if you want to bring your own chassis, which is a bit of a pity. It may be that they raise the car count for next year just by default, and of course will herald it as a great success.

In fairness though, there aren't a huge number of reasons, hence the tiny numbers (2 entrants over three years).
Old 4 Feb 2016, 14:18 (Ref:3611577)   #4
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
You can also run an all-pro lineup; neither of Rebellion's crews would be eligible in P2.

From now going forward, it's the only option if you want to bring your own chassis, which is a bit of a pity.
Those are 2 big reasons for its existence, in my opinion. in 2015 the P1-L cars could barely lap faster than P2, 2015 was slightly better. But for 2017 the P2 cars in intended to be faster. Will they potentially be mixing it up with the P1-L's?
Old 4 Feb 2016, 15:59 (Ref:3611608)   #5
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
For those determined to build their own car, it's the only option. Look at the SCG as an example. He could've run a GT3 for much cheaper, but was set on running his own car.
Old 4 Feb 2016, 16:10 (Ref:3611611)   #6
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can build your own car and you can put all-pro lineups in the car. Other than that, it seems like a waste of money.
Old 4 Feb 2016, 23:14 (Ref:3611710)   #7
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
- Quaranteed LM entry
- No proam driver restriction force feed crap
- No spec chassis force feed crap
- No spec component force feed crap
- No spec engine force feed crap
- No $$$ cost cap force feed crap
- No freezed specs technology and denied innovative development force feed crap
- Assuming you're competent and reliable it's "automatic" best of the rest placement and possible high positioning, even if the chances are slim

Too bad that restricting them to WEC alone dooms em.

Last edited by Deleted; 4 Feb 2016 at 23:19.
Old 5 Feb 2016, 01:10 (Ref:3611737)   #8
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't plundering the P2 class going to help P1 lights? Weren't people going to convert their P2s into P1s?
Old 5 Feb 2016, 05:40 (Ref:3611772)   #9
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
There's suggested interest from a recent interview. I think they're waiting on the new regs before jumping in. No reason to join now then change your car next year.
Old 5 Feb 2016, 06:52 (Ref:3611783)   #10
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tell me again, why is there a rule change coming? What is going to change? Weren't these regulations introduced in 2014?
Old 5 Feb 2016, 06:59 (Ref:3611785)   #11
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
Isn't plundering the P2 class going to help P1 lights? Weren't people going to convert their P2s into P1s?

Doesn't look that way. Probably because it's not a very good business to run a privateer P1 effort.
Old 5 Feb 2016, 07:05 (Ref:3611786)   #12
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TzeiTzei View Post
Doesn't look that way. Probably because it's not a very good business to run a privateer P1 effort.
It doesn't have to be a (winning or net zero) business.
Aside of that, FIA/ACO recently stated they don't expect extra '16 entries, but they do for '17.
Probably because they drove some P2 people there. But that's not what this thread is about.

I still believe P1-L is for people like Glickenhaus et al, those who want to make their automotive dream come true above all. You can't do that in P2 (as a one-off constructor).
Old 5 Feb 2016, 07:22 (Ref:3611792)   #13
truebeliever
Racer

truebeliever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtruebeliever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
- Quaranteed LM entry
- No proam driver restriction force feed crap
- No spec chassis force feed crap
- No spec component force feed crap
- No spec engine force feed crap
- No $$$ cost cap force feed crap
- No freezed specs technology and denied innovative development force feed crap
- Assuming you're competent and reliable it's "automatic" best of the rest placement and possible high positioning, even if the chances are slim

Too bad that restricting them to WEC alone dooms em.
I agree wholeheartedly with your synopsis my friend

The ACO need P1. They need a "premier" prototype class in my opinion, as you saw what happened after Group C was killed of by Eccelstone, the Le Mans race paled in significance.

So if my assumption is correct and the ACO are not about to move things into a GT only class structure, then they should be doing something to make P1 Privateer more attractive to the P2 teams that do not want to run in a spec series.

The Nissan P1 was a debacle in any term you care to look at it. If 1 more of the current 3 factory P1 teams decide to bail, t all begins to look decidedly shaky at the top. So that's why I think the ACO should be encouraging P1 Privateer, which on the surface does not appear to be happening. But then I guess Privateers cannot fill the ACO carpark with their road models

Allowing Privateer P1 cars to run in the ELMS, might be a wise start to encouragement. But I think the biggest stumbling block for any advancement in the fields at the moment, there are no customer chassis as there were back in the Lola days! I am sure Oreca will happily build you a Mk11 Rebellion, as I am sure Mr. Kolles would too, not sure who would want to deal with him though?

So as the situation is today, I do not see the status quo changing any.
Old 5 Feb 2016, 07:37 (Ref:3611795)   #14
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They should just allow LMP1-L into ELMS and adopt it as the DPi rules for IMSA. That way ACO can do whatever spec-limitation they want to LMP2, we would still have good cars in the top ELMS and IMSA series with the good freedome that the constructors want.

Having both LMP1-H and LMP1-L limited to WEC only is quite ridiculous, it would suffice with having only LMP1-H as WEC only to meet all demands from manufacturers with unlimited budget. LMP1-L needs to be found in more series then just WEC to have a bigger market.

Having only 2-3 LMP1-L cars in the top of ELMS would be okey for me, really, I wouldnt complain about that.
Old 5 Feb 2016, 09:32 (Ref:3611816)   #15
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The last two posts are amazing and have restored my faith in common sense amongst fans.

ELMS and ASLMS now ook like amateur Club Trophy Cup Series with second tier division spec-proam-costcap-freeze in every class.
Old 5 Feb 2016, 12:17 (Ref:3611858)   #16
truebeliever
Racer

truebeliever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtruebeliever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
The last two posts are amazing and have restored my faith in common sense amongst fans.

ELMS and ASLMS now ook like amateur Club Trophy Cup Series with second tier division spec-proam-costcap-freeze in every class.
You're welcome.

Some of us remember the halycon days of Group C all too well. There is nothing wrong with a spec series, for those who want to run it. But when it virtually becomes compulsory, that's a different story!

If nothing else, allowing LMP1 Privateer a spot on the grid in ELMS, even perhaps allowing a grandfather clause so some of the little bit older cars can be dusted off and compete again, has to be a good thing for the series, how can this not be?

Maybe they do not want their fancy new spec cars to be not the top of the tree! My opinion, LMP2 circa spec 2017 rules, will become a not well supported gentleman driver class. Great work ACO!!!! This for sure will bring the fans flooding back.
Old 5 Feb 2016, 12:28 (Ref:3611865)   #17
Deleted
Veteran

When I listened to the RLM WEC 2015 Review, I was left deeply disappointed they didn't mention the ELMS P1 return at all, even as possibility, you know when they were discussing on how to possibly fix the privateer class. I distinctively remember when in late 2011 the LMP1 abandoment for LMS was announced, Hindhaugh thought it wasn't the right course of action. And indeed, that was the start when the customer market collapsed due to force fed into expensive world championship. ALMS exile on course finally finished it, but ELMS really was the cause for everything. Forget the factory privateer balance difference excuses, that's just nitpicking in comparison.
Old 5 Feb 2016, 13:24 (Ref:3611892)   #18
Speedblood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Home counties or a racetrack.
Speedblood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSpeedblood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Scrap fuel flow limits in P1-L,
Open up ELMS to P1-L,
IMSA scrap DPi,
Replace with P1-L,
IMSA pay a contribution towards new car costs if need be,
ACO P2 replaces PC,
ACO happy their new rules appear stateside,
IMSA happy that they can run any engine/chassis they like,
ACO no longer need to BoP DPi at Le Mans,
Fans (Chiana in particular ) now much happier!

I think a fair but decent compromise for all.
Ah but to dream...
Old 5 Feb 2016, 14:16 (Ref:3611923)   #19
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Nice try but we're dealing with egos here - big, BIG egos!
Old 5 Feb 2016, 15:06 (Ref:3611952)   #20
truebeliever
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Nice try but we're dealing with egos here - big, BIG egos!
Wonder whose egos you are referring to?

If it's the ACO........then I could not agree more in their defense, I would like people to understand that they are French!

If it's people on the forum, no, can't be.
Old 5 Feb 2016, 16:46 (Ref:3612002)   #21
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I think that the clash of egos between the ACO and FIA (especially the ACO) vs IMSA and NASCAR (both in this case, but especially on the NASCAR end) is why this whole mess of LMP1 privateer vs DPI vs LMP2 exists right now, not to mention the big egos pushing big agendas. It's about as bad as politics every election year around the world.
Old 5 Feb 2016, 17:05 (Ref:3612012)   #22
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
If the manufacturers get their way in imsa, it might as well be called lmp1-L or whatever. But the aco wants manufacturers in lmp1-h. It's like they're getting a free pass because they don't want to do hybrids. But it is cheaper and easier and they just get to throw their engine in a car and brag. People criticize Nissan for doing this in lmp2. That's another thing that surprises me about the response to this new 'dp'. Imo, it's better than nothing, but it's still just upgraded lmp2 with more powerful engines and useless bodywork. That's why going lmp1-L is a much better proposition for those who like variety.
Old 5 Feb 2016, 17:18 (Ref:3612022)   #23
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
That'd only make sense if the ACO allow semi-factory deals similar to DPI into LMP1 privateer. But they want to push the factory teams into LMP1H, where you need a diesel engine and/or a hybrid system on your car to stand much chance of being competitive. The engine supply and said manufacturers being able to produce home brewed bodywork on a customer car chassis (sort of like AMR did with the Lola-Aston Martin LMP1 cars) could be viable for a "cheap" LMP1 sub-class and could throw a genuine bone to Rebellion and Kolles if they can get an engine supply/sponsorship deal from a car maker.

It won't allow them to close much on Audi, Porsche or Toyota with their hybrid and diesel/advanced gasoline engine tech and other resources, but could be a viable replacement for the split up LMP1 factory/privateer classes should the shoe drop should Toyota and one of the VAG backed teams pull out, which will largely depend on the 2018 regs at this point. If they're not interesting enough for Audi, Porsche or Toyota, and even before dieselgate, even Audi and Porsche were starting to criticize some aspects of the WEC on the ROI side (investment vs promotional value and similar items), at least one of them might leave.

As much as I think that the factory teams shouldn't be BOP'd just because they're making a bigger investment into the sport than the privateer team are, you do have to throw something to the privateer teams to keep them around and keep their interest. Which something like a fusion of DPI and LMP1 privateer might work.

Also, the proposed DPI "factory" team budges make TMG's relatively piddly $80 million a season or whatever it turns out to be look immense by comparison to the theorized DPI budgets.

Last edited by chernaudi; 5 Feb 2016 at 17:25.
Old 5 Feb 2016, 17:27 (Ref:3612029)   #24
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
That'd only make sense if the ACO allow semi-factory deals similar to DPI into LMP1 privateer. But they want to push the factory teams into LMP1H, where you need a diesel engine and/or a hybrid system on your car to stand much chance of being competitive.

Also, the proposed DPI "factory" team budges make TMG's relatively piddly $80 million a season or whatever it turns out to be look immense by comparison to the theorized DPI budgets.
Not talking about aco allowed p1-L, but imsa only. The major issue with that is no LM24 because manufacturer cars are hybrid only. But they can get around that if it's just running a manufacturer engine like Rebellion Toyota.
Old 5 Feb 2016, 17:32 (Ref:3612031)   #25
Deleted
Veteran

I suspect one will know the answer to his preference by answering this abstract question:

Would you rather see a grid consisting solely of

* 10 LMP1 Privateer cars?
* 25 LMP2 (Current Spec) cars?
* 40 LMP2 (2017 New Spec) cars?