Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 18 Dec 2014, 01:35 (Ref:3485937)   #1
groupseven
Rookie

Canada
whitby ontario canada
groupseven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shelby GT 350 R at Brands Hatch

not sure if this is the right spot to start this ? moderator please move where it is more relevant. can any one give some information as to the driver/entrant of this Mustang, thought to be a GT 350 R model, at what I think is Brands Hatch. someone on the Shelby forum is seeking to identify this car. will add a link, I hope it works. http://saacforum.com/index.php?topic=30336.0 photo appears in this thread.

Mike in Canada/groupseven
Old 18 Dec 2014, 11:37 (Ref:3486024)   #2
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Certainly looks to be a GT350 rather than the notchback so doubtful it would be in same race as Minis. Could it be qualifying out of session and probably racing in a GT or modsports race?
I don't believe the GT350 ever appeared in a Group 2 race.
Old 20 Dec 2014, 08:52 (Ref:3486653)   #3
ezwalk43
Rookie

ezwalk43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shelby GT350R

Although the fastback or GT350 were not homologated as saloon cars they did occasionally run in club saloon races - hopefully the attached picture taken in April 1965 shows a well modified example up against a variety of club saloons
Attached Thumbnails
mustang 2.jpg  
Old 20 Dec 2014, 09:31 (Ref:3486662)   #4
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great shot EZ. Is that Bo Pittard in front?
Old 20 Dec 2014, 20:13 (Ref:3486753)   #5
glyn parham
Racer

United Kingdom
Strood
glyn parham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Mustang looks like Ken Baker's red racer and is it Pete Bevan in the A40?
Old 20 Dec 2014, 21:49 (Ref:3486770)   #6
groupseven
Rookie

Canada
whitby ontario canada
ezwalk43, thank you for your reply and photo. I can see the thumbnail, but it will not enlarge when I click on it. spins away ad infinitum. happens for me time to time. most will load larger, some will not. I wonder if it has to do with being on a Mac ?

now it works !

groupseven in Canada
Old 21 Dec 2014, 13:07 (Ref:3486881)   #7
Loose end
Rookie

Loose end should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Glyn no its not me and i don't recognise the a40 Peter Bevan
Old 21 Dec 2014, 14:16 (Ref:3486893)   #8
glyn parham
Racer

United Kingdom
Strood
glyn parham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Peter. Your car would have had the Speedwell front end treatment by then.
Glyn
Old 21 Dec 2014, 15:02 (Ref:3486899)   #9
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I used to go to most of those "clubbie" races back in the 60s and have probably got a program in the attic, when the weather warms up I'll pop back and have a look
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 22 Dec 2014, 21:43 (Ref:3487247)   #10
groupseven
Rookie

Canada
whitby ontario canada
wanted to thank all the above who chimed in with information and memories on this subject. if you go back to my link in the first post here, there is a little more come to light. after digging around on the french Autodiva site,(thread on Mustangs raced in France) I found some clues that might point to a lead. I used Google translate, and what it says, is that two GT 350R Shelby Mustangs 5R107 & 5R209 came through the John Wyer shops. one was prepped for Neerspach, went to Germany. the other 209 went to Schetty, for Swiss hill climbs. maybe ? one or both of the machines was tested at Brands before being shipped. that might explain the photo. perhaps someone who worked for Wyer at the time might remember something, don't know how many are still with us. I have the Walton book on Ermanno Coughi, who was with Wyer at the time, but he does not mention anything.

thank you...and a happy Christmas too all...Mike (groupseven)
Old 29 Dec 2014, 12:54 (Ref:3488410)   #11
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezwalk43 View Post
Although the fastback or GT350 were not homologated as saloon cars they did occasionally run in club saloon races - hopefully the attached picture taken in April 1965 shows a well modified example up against a variety of club saloons
I am pretty certain that is Ken Baker's red Mustang Fastback. His car was registered HPU 525B; the number plate is not too sharp in the picture but it could possibly be that.

I have a photo of the car taken in the paddock at Snetterton which shows it on Wolfrace-style wheels.

I fell in love with Mustang's the first time I saw that car - a love that has lasted to this day!

I can't add anything to the Shelby information though. I don't remember seeing that car in period although admittedly my spectating was limited to Snetterton in those days since I was not old enough to drive.
Old 29 Dec 2014, 13:33 (Ref:3488419)   #12
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	44232
It certainly looks like it
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 30 Dec 2014, 05:38 (Ref:3488544)   #13
68 Mustanger
Rookie

68 Mustanger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was Ken Bakers car always red? Ex Alan Mann mechanic John Grant remembers it to be of a green color at the Boxing day event. Visible on right.
The one left is one of Alan Manns car (one of the surviving Liege 64 cars)