Alinco 0 0%
Other - let me know!! 7 16.67%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29 Oct 2006, 19:16 (Ref:1752931)   #201
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think we all raided maplin for the cheap maycoms!

I managed to get a very cheap set of "sports" earphones so doctored those (chopped one side off) and have been using that!
Old 29 Oct 2006, 19:20 (Ref:1752933)   #202
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chezza
I managed to get a very cheap set of "sports" earphones so doctored those (chopped one side off) and have been using that!
Yep! That what I was trying to say earlier.......works perfect!
Old 29 Oct 2006, 20:01 (Ref:1752961)   #203
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
I can't wear those - there's too much outside noise!
Mark,

What would you rather hear, the raffle results or the sound of gravel hitting the front of the observers box?
Old 29 Oct 2006, 20:11 (Ref:1752963)   #204
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The raffle results!
What a silly question!!!!
Old 29 Oct 2006, 23:00 (Ref:1753124)   #205
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
The raffle results!
What a silly question!!!!
Too right!!
Old 30 Oct 2006, 16:35 (Ref:1753682)   #206
BeeJ
Racer

England
Coventry UK
BeeJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I use a Maycom scanner again from the Maplins sale :-). I use a normal pair of small walkman type headphones but hook one side behind my ear, leaving one ear free to listen to what is going on around me, and it works fine. I have just ordered the wrap around type earpice from E-bay so will see how it fairs up.
Old 31 Oct 2006, 17:13 (Ref:1754562)   #207
Peter Harrison
Rookie

United Kingdom
Watford
Peter Harrison should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Earphone for scanners

I use a Maycom AR108, brilliant little scanner. The earpiece I bought was the Maplin BA58N which wraps around the ear. Very comfortable, even when using ear defenders. The connector is a 3.5mm Mono Jack.
Old 31 Oct 2006, 18:47 (Ref:1754621)   #208
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Harrison
The earpiece I bought was the Maplin BA58N which wraps around the ear.
The problem with them is that as they are designed to be used in either the left or the right ear (ambiaural? ) the wire comes out horizontally. Eventually it will break at the point where it leaves the grommet which acts as a strain relief. The good news is that if you just prise off the round creamy-coloured but covering the speaker it's easy to cut the wire shorter & re-solder it. I've gone a step further by cutting the moulding which fits behind the ear & fitting a short length of nylon tube which leads the wire out vertically.
Old 31 Oct 2006, 22:35 (Ref:1754796)   #209
Kermit Power
Rookie

England
Epsom
Kermit Power should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CombeMarshal
I'll second the ear piece, though I got mine from maplins.
But that scanner is just a tad on the large side, does it come with wheels!!!
I've only just realised you meant the Bearcat in the post above yours rather than the Maycom I originally mentioned! I've spent the last 2 days trying to find something lighter than 98 grammes and 2 AA batteries!
Old 6 Jan 2007, 22:48 (Ref:1808519)   #210
Kermit Power
Rookie

England
Epsom
What's the reception range on a scanner?

Hi All,

I got an Arcom AR108 as a Christmas present, and I've been fiddling around with it to figure out how it works.

So far, all I'm getting is static Can someone tell me how close I have to be to a transmitter to pick up a signal? I want to make sure it's working before the start of the season!
Old 6 Jan 2007, 23:55 (Ref:1808592)   #211
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
At circuits I've had not problems with my AR108, you just need to make sure you have the squelch set properly.

Not sure how close you need to be to pick something up though, does it say in the distructions?

Also its any consolation I don't pick up anything at home.
Old 7 Jan 2007, 02:02 (Ref:1808625)   #212
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit Power
Hi All,

I got an Arcom AR108 as a Christmas present, and I've been fiddling around with it to figure out how it works.

So far, all I'm getting is static Can someone tell me how close I have to be to a transmitter to pick up a signal? I want to make sure it's working before the start of the season!
You need to be in the area of a broadcast. If nothing is `on', nothing is what you will get.
Old 7 Jan 2007, 08:45 (Ref:1808679)   #213
Kermit Power
Rookie

England
Epsom
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebear
You need to be in the area of a broadcast. If nothing is `on', nothing is what you will get.
I was just wondering how wide that area was. I live halfway between Heathrow and Gatwick airports, so thought I might pick something up from ATC, but either I've not found the frequency yet, or I'm too far away!
Old 7 Jan 2007, 09:06 (Ref:1808687)   #214
PeterM
Racer

United Kingdom
Wellingborough
PeterM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scanners

If you go to www.webfetch.co.uk or your own browser and enter "radio frequencies" you will find all the frequencies you need. There is one site which has all the circuit frequencies including ES. Airband is between 110 and 135 Mhz so you should get LHR or LGW. As the bear says you need to catch a transmission in progress to hear anything.
Old 7 Jan 2007, 09:58 (Ref:1808705)   #215
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Range varies from 500m to 200Km. Depends on frequency, antenna, and altitude of transmitter. So you will get local emergency services (if they are still using the frequency etc. which your receiver works on) but you should get aircraft (in the air!) from a long way away.

Regards

Jim
Old 7 Jan 2007, 10:38 (Ref:1808716)   #216
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
I live approx 40 miles from both MAN & BHX airports and get both very clear using the AR108
Old 7 Jan 2007, 10:40 (Ref:1808717)   #217
Circuitmarshal
Veteran

England
Historic RAF Tangmere, West Sussex
Circuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCircuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Living in Epsom You will or should have no problem at all with aircraft.
Tune between 118 - 122 AM for the busy bit of LHR & LGW.
166 - 172 NFM for mini cabs etc.
Apart from that you won't get a lot these days.
Hope this helps.
Old 9 Jan 2007, 17:23 (Ref:1810563)   #218
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Range depends on a number of factors, including transmitter power & terrain - you need more or less 'line-of-sight' for the best reception. The antenna also has a bearing on reception range - while the standard antenna supplied with the
scanner is adequate, you'll get better reception at circuits with an antenna designed to operate in the vHF waveband used.

If you're getting 'white noise' you need to adjust the squelch; set it to the position where the white noise just disappears.
Old 9 Jan 2007, 19:52 (Ref:1810659)   #219
Davie-c
Racer

Scotland
Armadale,Scotland
Davie-c should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Try between 144MHz and 146 Mhz you should be able to here Amateur radio operators.Try 145.625 which is the nearest 2 Meter repeater to Epsom
Car Scrutineer
BMMC Member
Old 9 Jan 2007, 20:00 (Ref:1810664)   #220
Kermit Power
Rookie

England
Epsom
Thanks all!

When the wind abates enough to go outside, Ill give it a try
Old 9 Jan 2007, 20:07 (Ref:1810669)   #221
Circuitmarshal
Veteran

England
Historic RAF Tangmere, West Sussex
Circuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCircuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Thanks all!

When the wind abates enough to go outside, Ill give it a try
You should get the 2 Meter repeater or aircraft from indoors if you must be a whimp!!
With the repeater you should get it's morse code call ID even if no speech.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 20:08 (Ref:1811724)   #222
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have a scanner (new as an Xmas Pressie) to replace the one that stopped working. Bill has entered whatever frequencies I might need. That is as technical as I get and - if it works, it works, if not, not.

Is there a touch of "anorakitis" entering here?????????????
Old 11 Jan 2007, 18:51 (Ref:1812568)   #223
Kermit Power
Rookie

England
Epsom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh
Is there a touch of "anorakitis" entering here?????????????
Not on my behalf! I just wanted to hear it working before turning up on the bank and finding out there that it doesn't work, getting upset and taking out my frustrations on a driver, nice though it might be to have a little role reversal!
Old 25 Jan 2007, 10:45 (Ref:1825523)   #224
haystacks
Veteran

England
Sittingbourne Kent
haystacks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As Im thinking of buying a scanner, Santa missed me out, what is the best one for BH and Silverstone, in your opinions?
Old 25 Jan 2007, 10:53 (Ref:1825530)   #225
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by haystacks
As Im thinking of buying a scanner, Santa missed me out, what is the best one for BH and Silverstone, in your opinions?
Maycom AR-108 is a good choice for any circuit - good performance, reasonable price.