Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 9 Aug 2004, 21:14 (Ref:1061496)   #26
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That's excellent news...especially with the smaller field than in the past...

On TV, it looked like there were lots of people there (campers especially)....

Glad to hear it...

Thanks, paul-collins...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 10 Aug 2004, 00:09 (Ref:1061606)   #27
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
Bigger. Waaay, way bigger.

Weekend gate was estimated as approaching 100k; raceday approached 50k. That's about a 50% increase for both.
That is great news, and on top of that the crowd got to see Dyson run first and third and Champion second. Great stuff!

And something I have been wanting to say for a year now: Congratulations Dyson Racing and James and Butch!

Old 10 Aug 2004, 00:12 (Ref:1061607)   #28
Shady#30
Rookie

Shady#30 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was @ the Intersport pit at the end of the race and we were right next to the Dyson team...I've never seen such happy people! It was really a great win for them and everyone was happy to see them on top (except maybe the Champion folks...).

Last edited by Shady#30; 10 Aug 2004 at 00:13.
Old 10 Aug 2004, 00:21 (Ref:1061611)   #29
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
While they may not say it out loud, Champion has to be somewhat happy, it gives validation to their previous wins. They are not unbeatable, and they have to run 100% or one of the Dyson cars may nip in to take a victory.
Old 10 Aug 2004, 19:09 (Ref:1062466)   #30
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Update:

The attendance figures I listed earlier were starry-eyed.

The track is still waiting on final numbers, but it appears to be about a 5% increase raceday and weekend (>35k; 70k), while camping appears to be 20% up.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 10 Aug 2004, 19:36 (Ref:1062486)   #31
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Still a decent crowd...

and any increase, given the lighter numbers in the field, is good to hear....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 11 Aug 2004, 02:32 (Ref:1062697)   #32
FastJoel31
Veteran

United States
Near Watkins Glen
FastJoel31 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was there from Thursday afternoon-on, and it was noticeably more crowded on Saturday than Friday and Thursday (obviously), and of course on Sunday, it was packed. Didn't even waste my time going to the top of turn 2 on Sunday, nor the hairpin. For the race I was at the bottom of turn 2, where it wasn't that crowded. We later moved up to the exit of turn 3 (LOUD!!!). Talk about an awesome weekend though.
Old 12 Aug 2004, 11:29 (Ref:1063794)   #33
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What we heard was 41,600 announced for race day and probably closer to 38,000 in hard numbers. Having that final SWC race after the ALMS race was inspired -- everyone remained to watch Ron Fellows run! Friday looked sparse to me but my friends at Corner 2 said it was a pretty typical Friday crowd. Camping was a lot more crowded than last year up where we were.
Old 12 Aug 2004, 12:49 (Ref:1063862)   #34
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My numbers come from Myles on Tuesday, Liz, so the 38 jives with what he said - "more than 35,000." They're still finalizing, anyway.

I agree that there were a lot more people camping. They're the foundation of the facility, so it's good to see them increasing.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James