Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 2 Jan 2010, 00:12 (Ref:2607193)   #1
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Noughties

With the decade known as 'The Noughties' having come to a close, perhaps would be timely to acknowledge some of the achievers over the past 10 years.

On the driver front Mark Skaife is the winner for mine with 3 championships, 3 Bathursts and 3 500s, Jamie Whincup 2nd with 2 championships, 3 Bathursts and 1 500, and 3rd Garth Tander with 1 championship, 2 Bathursts and 2 500s.

Biggest improver would be Whincup going from being dumped by Garry Rogers, to within a whisker of winning the championship 4 years later and delivering the next year.

On the teams front HRT with 4 championships, 4 Bathursts and 4 500s is a hands down winner, 888 2nd with 2 championships, 3 Bathursts and 2 500s, and K Mart/Toll 3rd with 2 championships and 2 Bathursts. Notable mention to SBR for winning 3 championships in a row with 2 drivers.

Biggest improver would have to be 888 going from mid-packers in the 1st half of the decade to the class of the field in the 2nd.

Race of the decade, no one race stands out on its own for mine, but Bathurst 00, 01, 02, & 07, and the 01 Queensland 500 were pretty special.

Lap of the decade, no question here - Greg Murphy Bathurst 03.

Stories of the decade would probably be Lowndes’ move to Ford and the death of Peter Brock.

Last edited by anthony81901; 2 Jan 2010 at 00:24.
Old 2 Jan 2010, 00:27 (Ref:2607200)   #2
applecart
Rookie

applecart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i nominate marcos ambrose, even if its just for acknowledging there is more to do in motorsport than V8SC (otherwise your lists would be different anthony!)
Old 2 Jan 2010, 20:57 (Ref:2607436)   #3
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not being too technical about it - the 'Naughties' still has the remainder of 2010 to run
Old 2 Jan 2010, 21:47 (Ref:2607447)   #4
mite5255
Racer

Australia
Caboolture Queensland
mite5255 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsStalker View Post
Not being too technical about it - the 'Naughties' still has the remainder of 2010 to run

ah i see soooooo that means people born lets say in 1970 were actually born in the 60's
Old 2 Jan 2010, 23:25 (Ref:2607470)   #5
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony81901 View Post
On the teams front HRT with 4 championships, 4 Bathursts and 4 500s is a hands down winner, 888 2nd with 2 championships, 3 Bathursts and 2 500s, and K Mart/Toll 3rd with 2 championships and 2 Bathursts. Notable mention to SBR for winning 3 championships in a row with 2 drivers.
WOW! 11 championships in 10 years.

Considering how dominant SBR were in those 3 championship years, they probably deserve more than a 'notable mention' Considering they were there for the entire 10 years.

I would have made mention of the most successful model. But that would only upset Stealthy, as it would be the most successful headlight!

Most memorable car? A tie in my opinion, between Skaife's VX/VY 'Golden Child' and Ambrose's BA. Funny how in the early mid 00's a car could last a team/driver 3 odd years. Now teams like 888 give a driver 3 odd cars a year.

Paint job? Lowndes 00 2001 Bathurst car certainly got tongues wagging. Don't know if it was my favorite, but it certainly was popular.
Old 3 Jan 2010, 01:15 (Ref:2607488)   #6
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA View Post
WOW! 11 championships in 10 years.
Well spotted, HRT only won 3 championships back to school for me.

Quote:
Considering how dominant SBR were in those 3 championship years, they probably deserve more than a 'notable mention' Considering they were there for the entire 10 years.
Fair point, but didn't win Bathurst.

Quote:
I would have made mention of the most successful model. But that would only upset Stealthy, as it would be the most successful headlight!
Would be the VX winning 2 championships and 2 Bathursts in 2 years.

Quote:
Most memorable car? A tie in my opinion, between Skaife's VX/VY 'Golden Child' and Ambrose's BA. Funny how in the early mid 00's a car could last a team/driver 3 odd years. Now teams like 888 give a driver 3 odd cars a year.
Skaife's would probably just edge out the Ambrose car winning 2 Bathursts and 1.5 championships (it debuted mid year) vs 2 championships and 1 Sandown 500. BJR have indicated that they intend to keep their 3 year old cars until the end of 2011 as have HRT with their 2 year old cars, perhaps in this era of belt tightening new cars is a luxury some teams have decided they can do without.

Quote:
Paint job? Lowndes 00 2001 Bathurst car certainly got tongues wagging. Don't know if it was my favorite, but it certainly was popular.
Agree it certainly was striking.
Old 3 Jan 2010, 03:35 (Ref:2607499)   #7
NewsStalker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mite5255 View Post
ah i see soooooo that means people born lets say in 1970 were actually born in the 60's
Technically correct.

The FIRST decade is the 10 years from year 1 - there was never a year zero.

The same debate was held in 2000 - was 2000 the first year of the new millenium or the last year of the previous millenium? (the latter being the technically correct answer).
Old 3 Jan 2010, 03:46 (Ref:2607500)   #8
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
nothing to do with what we are discussing though is it
Old 3 Jan 2010, 05:05 (Ref:2607509)   #9
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Technically correct.

The FIRST decade is the 10 years from year 1 - there was never a year zero.

The same debate was held in 2000 - was 2000 the first year of the new millenium or the last year of the previous millenium? (the latter being the technically correct answer).
Alot of people assume theres no year 0, but the 'first' year is infact 1 BC
Apparently theres only a select few americans who don't actually count that first year as a part of thier calandar. The rest of the world do (Australians included), so technically speaking, it is a new decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Neither is nascar, but those posts are allowed
Old 3 Jan 2010, 07:25 (Ref:2607522)   #10
NewsStalker
Veteran

Quote:
Actually - yes it is - soimply because the decade, which doesn't finish until Dec 31, 2010, is still current - therefore any list of so-called 'achievers' is only 90% completed and, as everyone knows, anything can happen and usually does.
Old 3 Jan 2010, 07:30 (Ref:2607526)   #11
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Actually - yes it is - soimply because the decade, which doesn't finish until Dec 31, 2010, is still current - therefore any list of so-called 'achievers' is only 90% completed and, as everyone knows, anything can happen and usually does.
Like i said, 90% of the world think the decade is already completed. Australia as a country is part of that 90%. Of course, your entitled to your own opinion on the matter, but in the eyes of most of us, the decade is done and dusted.
Old 3 Jan 2010, 07:36 (Ref:2607528)   #12
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
wrong a decade is a ten year period, when something has gone for ten years that is a decade, doesnt matter when it starts as long as it is ten years thats a decade

like was mentioned if you were born in 1970 that doesn't mean you were born in the 60's

Stick to topic and try not to become a member of www.analretentiveenglishteacher.com
Old 3 Jan 2010, 07:39 (Ref:2607529)   #13
NewsStalker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
Alot of people assume theres no year 0, but the 'first' year is infact 1 BC
<cough> - not so - the first year was Year 1 - 1 BC (which has a religious connotation) is, as it states - 1 BC - Before Christ. Is STARTED (supposedly but, in fact, wasn't really named as such until many many years later...) when he was supposedly born. (the calendar incorporating AD years wasn't actually defined properly until 532AD - read the second link for some historically factual information about this AND decade counting).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_zero

Quote:
The third millennium of the Gregorian calendar began on 1 January 2001, rather than the popularly-celebrated 1 January 2000. This is a direct consequence of the absence of a year zero in the anno Domini era. Had there been a year zero, which might be considered part of the first millennium, then 1 January 2000 would indeed mark 2000 years since the year numbering datum and be the start of the third millennium.
This also applies to centuries and decades. Thus, the 20th century began on 1 January 1901; and the 21st century began on 1 January 2001.
Or, if you're like me and don't like Wikipedia, try this one:

http://www.nmm.ac.uk/explore/astrono...new-millennium

Quote:
The Times newspaper must have received many letters towards the end of 1799, since its editors felt moved to make the following comments about the beginning of the 19th century:
Quote:
We have uniformly rejected all letters and declined all discussion upon the question of when the present century ends, as it is one of the most absurd that can engage the public attention, and we are astonished to find it has been the subject of so much dispute, since it appears plain. The present century will not terminate till January 1, 1801, unless it can be made out that 99 are 100... It is a silly, childish discussion, and only exposes the want of brains of those who maintain a contrary opinion to that we have stated
The Times, 26 December 1799
Old 3 Jan 2010, 07:44 (Ref:2607533)   #14
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quoting an american newspaper is hardly fact, moreso when i already established some parts of america are the ones who are in the minority. In This country, we count 1BC as year one, thus the decades line up to match 'the sixties' etc not, 1961-1970.....

Like i said, its fine if you want to use that style of calandar, its not wrong, its just not what this country uses (and personally, i hate that anything relating to religion seems to factor into it). Just keep in mind when your arguing a point, that the title says 'noughties' so even if we 'were' to take on the minorities calandar, 2010 can't be part of the noughty decade, since that refers to the 3rd digit of the year code (00, 01, 02 etc)
Old 3 Jan 2010, 07:47 (Ref:2607534)   #15
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
lol at newstalker

Quote:
It is a silly, childish discussion, and only exposes the want of brains of those who maintain a contrary opinion to that we have stated

now head of to kinder and let the grown up discuss the nougties in relation to v8s

Marcos Ambrose 5 years in the championship 2 wins, two other top 3 and never finished outside the top ten. anyone else got that record
Old 3 Jan 2010, 07:56 (Ref:2607538)   #16
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Marcos Ambrose 5 years in the championship 2 wins, two other top 3 and never finished outside the top ten. anyone else got that record
Also pole & a race win at his first event, and given his successes here and in NASCAR, would have to be the series' best export? (Maybe ever as opposed to in the last ten years?)
Old 3 Jan 2010, 08:35 (Ref:2607545)   #17
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
lol at newstalker

now head of to kinder and let the grown up discuss the nougties in relation to v8s

Without having the stats at hand, I would think Marcos has the highest winning % of any driver in V8SC history. The only other driver who may come close would be Jamie Whincup.
Old 3 Jan 2010, 08:43 (Ref:2607546)   #18
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Jamie results would be let down by his first few years, when he wwas at GRM and Tasmanm but they would defiantly have improved since he moved to Triple 8
Old 3 Jan 2010, 08:56 (Ref:2607550)   #19
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony81901 View Post
Without having the stats at hand, I would think Marcos has the highest winning % of any driver in V8SC history. The only other driver who may come close would be Jamie Whincup.
For one decade, or all time? If all time, the stats tend to disagree....
Old 3 Jan 2010, 09:01 (Ref:2607552)   #20
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
well he said V8SC history.

who is higher then stealthy?
Old 3 Jan 2010, 09:09 (Ref:2607554)   #21
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
well he said V8SC history.

who is higher then stealthy?
Theres not actually anywhere on V8SC that has those stats.

I just realised my post makes it seem like i mean 'start - win ratio', i meant most succesful, ie, championships, bathursts, etc....
Old 3 Jan 2010, 09:16 (Ref:2607557)   #22
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
i doubt there are any better when it comes to championships at least in modern history (V8SC.) i imagine that Ian Geoghegan probably did and maybe some of the original guys , but after that the numbers would reduce 40% is a pretty good number
Old 3 Jan 2010, 09:27 (Ref:2607564)   #23
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
i doubt there are any better when it comes to championships at least in modern history (V8SC.) i imagine that Ian Geoghegan probably did and maybe some of the original guys , but after that the numbers would reduce 40% is a pretty good number
40% of what? Stats can be so misleading. One driver makes one appearance, wins, and has a 100% ratio

Which is why i'd count everything if were talking about records.
Whincup has 2 championships for starters, but 3 bathursts, so he's already ahead of Marcos there....
Old 3 Jan 2010, 09:40 (Ref:2607566)   #24
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
40% of attempts,2 out of 5, then he went OS to try his luck elsewhere

and yet Jamie raced against marcos he had none of those, didnt get a win and hardly a podium, took 6 years to win the championship. won bathurst on his 5th attempt.
Old 3 Jan 2010, 09:48 (Ref:2607570)   #25
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
I know anything on Wikipedia has to be taken with a grain of salt, but assuming the stats here are correct Whincup has 23 wins from 84 starts, a 27% winning rate. By comparison Lowndes has 20% and Skaife 18%.

No comparable data for Ambrose though going on the information on Vesrix up until Indy 04 he won 19 out of 115 for 17% and although not a race by race breakdown he only won 2 of the 13 rounds in 05 so not likely to have improved by much.

So I stand corrected, it would appear that Whincup has the highest winning % in the V8SC era.