Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 29 Feb 2020, 13:03 (Ref:3960597)   #151
Starion13
Rookie

Starion13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GT3. it curently exists, some teams already have a toe in the water there and it wouldn't be too hard to convert Mustangs and Camaro's to GT3 spec. There's some BMW's and what not sitting idle in sheds also that could make a re-appearance. Dane and Walkinshaw already support GT3 entries so who knows.
Old 29 Feb 2020, 14:13 (Ref:3960612)   #152
benny41
Rookie

benny41 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Option 5 - Declare insolvency and quit.
I am pretty convinced if they can’t get a new tv deal that pays well their cost structure is such there is no way forward.
As a matter of record previous touring car championship categories in Australia have lasted for the following lengths
Improved Production-13 years
Group C-12 years
Group A-8 years
V8’s will have lasted 28 years by the end of 2020.It may be that their time is up.

Not really sure where there is talk of no tv deal being reached.

The history of the precious rule sets are pretty irrelevant the world is a pretty different place to what it was 30 years ago. I don't think winding it up with no replacement is the answer

Supercars needs to come up with a suitable rule set moving forwards that's the key to continuing the series.
Old 29 Feb 2020, 21:54 (Ref:3960684)   #153
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by benny41 View Post
Supercars needs to come up with a suitable rule set moving forwards that's the key to continuing the series.
I think it might be too late for that.

When I hear Gen 3, I think "Rev 3" ie. they've already had a couple tries at this and (IMHO) have been found wanting. The decline of the automotive industry, specifically the models Supercars chose to race didn't exactly happen overnight. Gen 2 was the time for a paradigm shift, instead it ended up a failure - one manufacturer leaving whilst only one new model entered. One could even argue the Mustang didn't (intially) meet the Gen 2 rule set.

Last edited by Compromised; 29 Feb 2020 at 22:12.
Old 1 Mar 2020, 00:06 (Ref:3960702)   #154
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

The history of the precious rule sets are pretty irrelevant the world is a pretty different place to what it was 30 years ago. I don't think winding it up with no replacement is the answer

Motor racing is not Archer/Supercars.They are a business that could disappear tomorrow and motor racing would continue.
Teams that wanted to continue in the sport would find another series to compete in.Those that don’t could cash their chips.
Old 1 Mar 2020, 01:36 (Ref:3960710)   #155
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Supercars doesn’t need to come up with a suitable rule set

CAMS and ARG have already supplied an alternative
Old 1 Mar 2020, 01:45 (Ref:3960713)   #156
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Supercars doesn’t need to come up with a suitable rule set

CAMS and ARG have already supplied an alternative
If Supercars ditched the idea of needing manufacturers and went with Marc style cars they would better to watch than GT3 or TCR, and preserve the manufacturing base and unique IP of the series, while offering the potential for radically reduced costs.
Old 1 Mar 2020, 06:12 (Ref:3960727)   #157
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
If Supercars ditched the idea of needing manufacturers and went with Marc style cars they would better to watch than GT3 or TCR, and preserve the manufacturing base and unique IP of the series, while offering the potential for radically reduced costs.
If Supercars ditch manufacturers, there is no IP to use.

What will they call the cars? As much as the MARCs look like a Mustang, they are never officially referred to as Mustangs
Old 1 Mar 2020, 06:34 (Ref:3960731)   #158
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
If Supercars ditch manufacturers, there is no IP to use.

What will they call the cars? As much as the MARCs look like a Mustang, they are never officially referred to as Mustangs
Dead easy to get a licence to use the likeness whether you pay for it or not. Both MARC and TA2 use brands and car names without licences, quite freely.
Old 1 Mar 2020, 07:16 (Ref:3960733)   #159
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Dead easy to get a licence to use the likeness whether you pay for it or not. Both MARC and TA2 use brands and car names without licences, quite freely.

Yep I am sure Ford would be happy for the Mustang name to get continued exposure. The likeness of the current Supercars version is not exactly a direct copy and yet is supported by Ford so why not aMARC type chassis / body. Better imo than a me too GT3 series which wont do anything for cost reduction

Given the status, size and trends in the local car/family vehicle market there is there any justification for manufacturer involvement in SC? I dont see it.
Old 1 Mar 2020, 08:59 (Ref:3960746)   #160
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
Total rubbish

MARC does not use car brands and car names without licence! The model (which looks like a Mustang) is a MARC II V8

TA2 has the licence from the manufacturer to call the cars their brand name and model

Last edited by one five five; 1 Mar 2020 at 09:10.
Old 2 Mar 2020, 03:16 (Ref:3960904)   #161
rik
Veteran

rik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
When I hear Gen 3, I think "Rev 3" ie. they've already had a couple tries at this and (IMHO) have been found wanting. The decline of the automotive industry, specifically the models Supercars chose to race didn't exactly happen overnight. Gen 2 was the time for a paradigm shift, instead it ended up a failure - one manufacturer leaving whilst only one new model entered. One could even argue the Mustang didn't (intially) meet the Gen 2 rule set.
Does anyone actually know what Gen3 is? Apart from talk about some changes to the roll cage to allow for lower roof 2 door cars there doesn't seem to be much else that can't be achieved on the existing platform? ie. control suspension, different engines, etc.

Could the existing chassis be modified to allow for alternate bodywork? So teams don't have to throw out as much stuff?
Old 2 Mar 2020, 05:14 (Ref:3960912)   #162
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rik View Post
Does anyone actually know what Gen3 is? Apart from talk about some changes to the roll cage to allow for lower roof 2 door cars there doesn't seem to be much else that can't be achieved on the existing platform? ie. control suspension, different engines, etc.

Could the existing chassis be modified to allow for alternate bodywork? So teams don't have to throw out as much stuff?
I would prefer they also widen the front and rear subframes, to push the front and rear suspension further outboard. The present Mustang is not only too tall, it's also squashed laterally. A 5cm increase in track width would correct this.

Other than that, I don't think there have been any suggestions there would be large amounts of change under Gen 3. Things like fuel tank, transaxle and so on would all be carried over.

It's debatable whether rear tyre size should be increased, or if the current 295/305 (2018 spec/2019 spec) on a 11" wide rim is wide enough. If the latter, then the current wheels could be retained.

It would be good to see a return to small rear wing endplates and deletion of bootlid extensions.

Other control parts like the $20,000 888 pedal box need to be dropped from the rules though IMO. They are just plain stupid. A $5,000 Tilton pedal box would do the same job.
Old 2 Mar 2020, 08:40 (Ref:3960942)   #163
JAFA851
Veteran

New Zealand
JAFA851 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wasn't Gen 3 supposed to be something where you could run a different engine than the current 5L V8? 888 spent a small fortune developing that V6 turbo ( twin turbo? ), all for what?
Old 2 Mar 2020, 09:13 (Ref:3960944)   #164
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
8 demo laps.
Old 2 Mar 2020, 09:58 (Ref:3960950)   #165
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFA851 View Post
Wasn't Gen 3 supposed to be something where you could run a different engine than the current 5L V8? 888 spent a small fortune developing that V6 turbo ( twin turbo? ), all for what?
888 didn't, GM did
Old 2 Mar 2020, 10:09 (Ref:3960954)   #166
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFA851 View Post
That was the intention of Gen2 , which is what we have now
Old 2 Mar 2020, 20:15 (Ref:3961085)   #167
Spec83
Rookie

Spec83 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Supercars Gen 3 (2022)

Why is no one talking about GT4?? Are they not fast enough?? They already have: Camaro, Mustang, BMW, Porsche, M-B, Audi, Maclaren, Aston the list goes on... plus they still look like something you can get from a showroom. Plenty of variety for teams to choose from. Set minimum weights and vary inlet restrictors to even the BOP across brands if you don’t like weight or penalties.

Like TCR, bathurst could be an international event with >30 car grids.

I just don’t see GT3 cars suited to tracks like Winton and Symmons Plains etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2 Mar 2020, 21:11 (Ref:3961100)   #168
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Its going to go electric.....
Old 2 Mar 2020, 22:03 (Ref:3961107)   #169
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec83 View Post
Why is no one talking about GT4??
They are the same speed as TCR. Yet somehow they are not as racey, since they are heavier and even more production-based than TCR. GT4s seem very similar to the current Australian Manufacturers Championship for Production Cars, just more standardised and without development costs since you can buy a turn-key car.

GT4 feel like a souped-up road car, you can almost feel the high weight and high inertia weighing down on the car (literally), it's just very sluggish to react: https://youtu.be/3408YhUEr0k

I am not sure they would be adequate as a spectacle...

A combined TCR/GT4 class could work however, you could have the market relevant 4 cylinder hatches and bigger engine cars all in the one race. The BOP arguments about the final 5 tenths per lap that decides who wins could get tiresome though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec83 View Post
I just don’t see GT3 cars suited to tracks like Winton and Symmons Plains etc.
Why not? They already race there.

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 2 Mar 2020 at 22:15.
Old 3 Mar 2020, 00:39 (Ref:3961126)   #170
BlueMax
Racer

BlueMax should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think GT4 makes sense. Combine that with TCR. We keep hearing about market relevance, well you can't get anymore relevent than GT4 and TCR. V8 Mustang and Camaro which sound the goods and hot hatches for the new wave.

GT4 are faster than TCR. The two classes are run together in the US already with success. A 2:15.8 lap of Bathurst is what the GT4 did in the 12 hour. And this is faster than what a Group C car use to do. George Fury's 2:13.8 was done on the old layout and we use to think that was quick. A 15.8 would be about an 11.8 on the old circuit at least.
Old 3 Mar 2020, 02:24 (Ref:3961130)   #171
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I cant see them stepping back to a car thats 10 seconds a lap slower than the current cars. It just wont happen, especially when there are other viable options out there.
Old 3 Mar 2020, 02:37 (Ref:3961131)   #172
drftin
Rookie

drftin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
I cant see them stepping back to a car thats 10 seconds a lap slower than the current cars. It just wont happen, especially when there are other viable options out there.
they also won't race some else's car (GT3/GT4/whatever), they will run their own car whether the internet experts think that is the right option or not
Old 3 Mar 2020, 04:24 (Ref:3961144)   #173
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
viable options

Quote:
See there is a 5litre V8 invitation class at Phillip Island Historics this weekend:

Event Patron and six-time Bathurst 1000 Winner, Larry Perkins will be challenged in the 5 litre Touring Cars by Chris Stillwell, Touring Car Champion and son of Australian Motorsport legend Bib Stillwell driving the ex Dick Johnson AU Falcon, Ed Singleton, President of the Heritage Car Association in the GRM Valvoline Cummins VT Commodore, Brad Till driving the ex Ford Tickford Racing AU Falcon and Allan Nash and Garry Collins will be driving the ex Jack Daniels VE Commodores.

https://vhrr.com/wp/phillip-island/

I understand Jack Perkins will be in another ex Larry car.
Old 3 Mar 2020, 04:31 (Ref:3961145)   #174
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy View Post
See there is a 5litre V8 invitation class at Phillip Island Historics this weekend
Quote:
In a similar vein, why not roll back to the iconic VF Commodore and FGX Falcon and pretend the Australian car industry never shut down? It should be trivial to convert a COTF back to VF or FGX specification.

Forget the Opel Insignia and forget the Ford Mustang funny car (see below)... Why not just stick to the tried and true models, the same models that Falcon enthusiasts and Commodore enthusiasts (i.e., the fans on the hill) themselves will be sticking to indefinitely (for lack of alternatives).

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 3 Mar 2020 at 04:37.
Old 3 Mar 2020, 07:11 (Ref:3961156)   #175
BlueMax
Racer

BlueMax should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well they did in 1985. I know that was CAMS that made the change to Group A. Lap times went from 2:14's in 1984 to 2:21's in 1985 for a Commodore at Bathurst.
Closed Thread