Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 27 Apr 2005, 18:12 (Ref:1288749)   #76
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I see from today's Motorsport news Proctor is going to sit out Thruxton as they want to sort out the engine problems they have had since the start of the season.
Old 27 Apr 2005, 21:59 (Ref:1288939)   #77
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hm, sounds like a misrepresentation - I have asked this because of an article I've read over here, on the first race, that states Muller as driving an "Opel Astra", accompanied by an image of what is clearly an Opel badged car. So, that's a load of rubbish - didn't make sense to me anyhow, that's why I asked in the first place. Never mind.
Old 5 Jun 2005, 20:27 (Ref:1320796)   #78
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink69
Gow said he wasnt worried cause he expects there to be 19 - 20 cars by Brands, not everyone was ready in time for Donnington.
Sorry to drag up an oldish thread but as no one else has said this yet...

So much for 19-20 cars at Brands, or were there another half dozen tucked away in a garage that I didn't see.
Old 5 Jun 2005, 20:32 (Ref:1320805)   #79
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its not just having 19-20 cars out there, they also need to be competitive as well.

At the moment we may have 14 cars out there, but 3 of them are completely uncompetitive and can hardly make the startline for the race nevermind complete it!

Wow, Fiona Leggate may come in, and a couple of other ameteur businessman in 307s that have never got anywhere near the pace, oh and Richard Marsh as well...hardly gets me too excited to be honest!
Old 5 Jun 2005, 21:08 (Ref:1320835)   #80
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think it's more we've lost all the uncompetitive lot...it's not as though everyteam on the grid has been a front runner.

To be fair to the Lexus, they're only a second down on lap times...it's bugs that's causing them problems. I'm at a loss to explain the Fast-tec issue beyond old machinery.
Old 5 Jun 2005, 21:27 (Ref:1320859)   #81
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
The Lexus' are actually over 2 seconds off the pace and thats just around the Indy circuit at Brands!

As I've said in another thread fair play to them for giving this a go but this whole project seems well beyond the expertise of their team right now. Its more than just the odd little bug, they can't complete a practice, qualy or race and they've been at this project for well over 2 months now!

That Fast-Tec one again I think is much of the same as despite it being old it still ran pretty well under Rob Collard last season.

Do agree that we've lost most of the ameteur lot. Also, whilst the WTCC is around the BTCC is consistenly going to lose strength on the driver front in my opinion. Next season and I'll be surprised if Mr Plato and Mr Muller are still here and which top names are going to step down from the WTCC to replace them?
Old 5 Jun 2005, 21:35 (Ref:1320868)   #82
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Curley would have outqualified John George & Richard Marsh last year at Brands with his lap time from Saturday (and been 20th!). However, that's not very representive as the car was faster in the race than in qualifying - setting 51s lap times.

I think it's fair to give them more time...some teams are just here for fun? When was LPG ever really going to win a race?
Old 5 Jun 2005, 21:44 (Ref:1320876)   #83
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
I realise that more cars doesn't nesessarily mean better racing. Just look at the second Formula Renault race today. A full grid, everyone within 0.8sec of pole, yet it probably the most tedious race I've ever seen. When the commentary tells you after one corner that the leader has already done enough to be virtually assured of victory you know you're in for a bad time. Was there actually any overtaking?

The point is that while TOCA are obviously doing their best to talk up the series they need to be careful not to make these wild claims about potential grid numbers with seemlingly little or no basis in fact.
Old 5 Jun 2005, 21:52 (Ref:1320883)   #84
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was one of the msot agitated about the grid size at the start of the season, but I'm not so worried now, even though the claims of 20 cars for Brands now look a bit silly. The cars we have got are mostly extremely competitive. In real terms the Lexus isn't doing too badly, and they have finished quite a few races already. A few more cars are definitely mooted for Oulton, although I won't believe them until I see them.
Old 6 Jun 2005, 08:23 (Ref:1321117)   #85
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Racing Formula Renault around Brands Indy is just ridiculous though! Tin tops minus any aerodynamics struggle to overtake around there nevermind slicks and wings cars. If you watched the races at Donington and Thruxton you'll have noted that Formula Renault races there were excellent.

I agree with what Redshoes is saying about making wild claims, Mr Gow has been doing that since the start of the season! Remember his "one-off" at Donington and then even less cars turned out at Thruxton the following meeting! I do believe there will be more than 15 cars on the grid at Oulton but I really fail to get excited at the names that are being touted....unless SWS can get himself in there that is....