Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 20 Nov 2017, 22:15 (Ref:3781837)   #26
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I would guess they allocate pit space to teams and if another entry appears, then one team may get a shaft on their space. If they just stated to teams that there is a possibility of extra entries, and they needed to shrink their work space it wouldn't be a problem. Some things they do are questionable, but maybe they change?
Old 21 Nov 2017, 00:27 (Ref:3781851)   #27
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
I would guess they allocate pit space to teams and if another entry appears, then one team may get a shaft on their space. If they just stated to teams that there is a possibility of extra entries, and they needed to shrink their work space it wouldn't be a problem. Some things they do are questionable, but maybe they change?
Agree!
Old 21 Nov 2017, 15:04 (Ref:3781970)   #28
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Spa is still epic. As long as there's a race it'll be great. The track itself lends to that imo.
I've witnessed plenty of boring races there over the years, 30 or so cars (even sportscars, let alone slower ones) on a 7 km track won't quite cut it. No need for worshipping.
Old 21 Nov 2017, 15:14 (Ref:3781976)   #29
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The most bizarre thing about Spa nowadays is that they have that separate ELMS weekend in September, it makes absolute zero sense whatsoever

Spa could LITERALLY hold a 70 car grid simultaneously when both paddocks are utilized but no, they just run two separate micro grids at separate times (plus Michelin Le Mans Cup)
Old 21 Nov 2017, 15:57 (Ref:3781989)   #30
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
LM P1 - 10
LM P2 - 7
LM P3 - 5
LM GTE-PRO - 1
LM GTE-AM - 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
LM P1 10
LM P2 8
LM P3 5
LM GTE-PRO 4
LM GTE-AM 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasperG View Post
LM P1 - 10
LM P2 - 3
LM P3 - 0
LM GTE-PRO - 3
LM GTE-AM - 0
I'm very surprised that so many forum members ignore GTE-Pro.

It features several factory teams with top drivers, and the cars are awesome.
Old 21 Nov 2017, 16:00 (Ref:3781990)   #31
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
BoP baby!
Old 21 Nov 2017, 16:12 (Ref:3781995)   #32
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post

I agree. If GTE Pro isn't strong, that is a deal breaker for me. LMP does not interest me much at all next year with Porsche going away. They all look the same to me. Thankfully the new GT-Prototype rules for 2020-2021 looks very promising.
Old 21 Nov 2017, 16:14 (Ref:3781996)   #33
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
BoP baby!
Trust me, trackside and in the grandstands if you see a train of GT cars thundering past you racing for position those three letters get removed from your brain in an instant.

Life's too short and motorsport is too niche nowadays to worry about politics within it.

Last edited by Victor_RO; 21 Nov 2017 at 16:35.
Old 21 Nov 2017, 16:17 (Ref:3781997)   #34
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:

If you go back and look at my posts at the start of the decade you'll notice GT1 and GT2 were my favorite categories, LMP1 only came in third (or maybe tied for second)

Then WWE happened to GT and I lost literally all interest, it's 100% prototypes now. Too bad LMP2 has gone into quasi spec too, and North America's been ruined with 'DPi, so it's mostly P1 left. But thank god that's still awesome, and 2017 looks to be great
Old 21 Nov 2017, 16:39 (Ref:3782001)   #35
bentley speed 8
Veteran

Sri Lanka
bentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Life's too short and motorsport is too niche nowadays to worry about politics within it.
Can't agree more. Yeah, we would all like them to get rid of this BoP nonsense, but at the end of the day I'm still watching all the categories while I can.
Old 21 Nov 2017, 16:47 (Ref:3782004)   #36
Deleted
Veteran

Oh, personally I don't WORRY about it anymore. Remember the times when every other day I came here crying and moaning about the latest BoP tables and whatever? Those days are over, I can't even remember the last time I went to the FIA committee site. But that's simply because I don't care about them anymore.

They are non factor. GTEs and GT3s are there, doing their own little thing, whatever it is, and I simply choose to ignore them. Just like a bully.

There is one good thing about them however, and that's traffic obstacle for prototypes although I'd rather have LMP3 doing that, they're slow enough for P1 ad P2
Old 21 Nov 2017, 17:28 (Ref:3782014)   #37
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

I enjoy the racing, that's for sure (and certainly don't ignore it), but I'm a prototype man at heart, always have been, and always will be......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Trust me, trackside and in the grandstands if you see a train of GT cars thundering past you racing for position those three letters get removed from your brain in an instant.

I completely agree. When it works, like at LM this year, it is very exciting to watch.
Old 21 Nov 2017, 18:07 (Ref:3782030)   #38
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
i feel that although the lmp classes are the cutting edge of technology i love to watch the GT's the good old days of Le mans GT's were racing for top spot but today they can never match the LMP's, but i will follow the gt's and love the close racing and unexpected turns that always seem to happen every year.
Old 22 Nov 2017, 18:00 (Ref:3782238)   #39
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have done some analysis of the data from this highly scientific survey

The results are not surprising. In order of popularity, based on average scores:

Circuits
Le Mans 9.8
Sebring 8.9
Spa 8.0
Silverstone 7.5
Fuji 6.8
Shanghai 6.1

Categories
LMP1 8.7
GTE Pro 7.3
LMP2 6.9
GTE Am 4.1
LMP3 3.4

Series
WEC 8.2
ELMS 5.5
MLMC 2.1
ALMS 2.1
ALMSC 0.8
Old 22 Nov 2017, 22:05 (Ref:3782276)   #40
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
FIA World Endurance Championship = 8
European Le Mans Series = 8
Michelin Le Mans Cup = 0
Asian Le Mans Series = 3
Asian Le Mans Sprint Cup = 0

Spa 6 Hours (2018-19) = 8
Le Mans 24 Hours (2018-19) = 10
Silverstone 6 Hours (2018) = 8
Fuji 6 Hours (2018) = 4
Shanghai 6 Hours (2018) = 4
Sebring 1500 Miles (2019) = 6

LM P1 = 9
LM P2 = 9
LM P3 = 0
LM GTE-PRO = 8
LM GTE-AM = 8
Old 23 Nov 2017, 08:40 (Ref:3782379)   #41
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
I've witnessed plenty of boring races there over the years, 30 or so cars (even sportscars, let alone slower ones) on a 7 km track won't quite cut it. No need for worshipping.
I don't worship tracks. I also don't need huge grids to enjoy races. Two cars can make a race imo!
Old 23 Nov 2017, 20:23 (Ref:3782481)   #42
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
I don't worship tracks. I also don't need huge grids to enjoy races. Two cars can make a race imo!
I admit I'd rather watch two LMP1 cars solely going against each other at Bahrain, than watch 50x "DPis" battling on the greatest of American circuits, however I still wouldn't be happy about them circulating crappy track

I'd say for me the interest of watching these (non-LM) races are made 60% of what entries are present, 25% about the track/event and 15% about specific rules for it. Something like that anyway
Old 23 Nov 2017, 20:33 (Ref:3782483)   #43
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Why can't we enjoy both for what it is? I love LMP1 (including hybrids). I also love DPi. LMP1 isn't right for IMSA, and DPi isn't right for WEC. They're very different and both awesome in their own ways. They also both have huge downsides. Just enjoy both.
Old 23 Nov 2017, 20:39 (Ref:3782484)   #44
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Why can't we enjoy both for what it is? I love LMP1 (including hybrids). I also love DPi. LMP1 isn't right for IMSA, and DPi isn't right for WEC. They're very different and both awesome in their own ways. They also both have huge downsides. Just enjoy both.
Why would I have to enjoy both?

One can enjoy Star Trek the Next Generation without enjoying Star Trek Discovery, or vice versa.

Sure you CAN like both, but it's also reasonable if you do not.
Old 23 Nov 2017, 20:49 (Ref:3782486)   #45
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I agree. Now that DPi are real prototypes and not the tube framed DP Grand Am era cars I agree! Do I miss the ALMS? Yes. But the reality is DPi has depth and diversity (look at the heavy hitter teams just like ALMS 2006-07) and I would argue it is better than WEC P2. Plus the Euro teams are starting to come over again for the big races. I am happy to be proven wrong about the "merger" of Grand Am and the ALMS. The united series was terrible for a couple of years but is now really finding its' stride. Racing is a huge part of my life so I am so happy to see a healthy IMSA once again. I will be attending Daytona, my first IMSA race since 2014 when I attended 3 and did not enjoy the rules, officiating, BoP, terrible announcers, lucky dog wave-bys DP cars, etc. I left all of them angry.
Old 23 Nov 2017, 23:27 (Ref:3782528)   #46
Deleted
Veteran

BONUS QUESTIONS

1) Would you be interested in watching an ACO race where this class was the headliner category (above other slower categories, whatever they are) - YES/NO
LM P1 -
LM P2 -
DPi -
LM P3 -
LM GTE-PRO -
LM GTE-AM
GT3 -

2) Would you be interested in watching an ACO race where this class was the sole category racing on track - YES/NO
LM P1 -
LM P2 -
DPi -
LM P3 -
LM GTE-PRO -
LM GTE-AM -
GT3 -
Old 24 Nov 2017, 02:38 (Ref:3782544)   #47
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I'll get to the original rundown after this.

To the Bonus Questions:
1.)
LMP1- Yes
LMP2/DPI- Yes
LMP3- No
GTE- Yes
GT3- No (Too many national series are already like that.)

2.)
LMP1- No (I doubt there would be enough cars out there to be that interesting.)
LMP2/DPI- Yes (If it's a mix of the two.)
LMP3- No
GTE- Yes
GT3- No (FIA GT already exists.)

I don't worry about the GTE-Pro/GTE-Am distinction. They're the same class of car. That's one nice thing about the GTLM/GTD arrangement in IMSA.
Old 24 Nov 2017, 02:45 (Ref:3782545)   #48
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Back for the original rankings, after mulling things over.

FIA WEC- 8
ELMS- 7
LMC- 3
AsLMS- 5
AsSC- 1

Silverstone- 6
Spa-Francorchamps- 8
Le Mans- 10
Nurburgring- 6
Mexico City- 5
Austin- 5
Fuji- 6
Shanghai- 5
Bahrain- 5
Sebring- 8

LMP1- 8
LMP2- 7
LMP3- 5
GTE- 9
GT3- 7

I don't follow LMP3 much. As for GTE, see my above post. In addition to that, the score for the class in an individual series would vary based on how many of the different car types are present in the series.

Too many things are still up in the air with the new iteration of LMP1 to put it higher than GTE/GTLM at the moment.

Last edited by Purist; 24 Nov 2017 at 02:51.
Old 24 Nov 2017, 02:53 (Ref:3782546)   #49
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
For ELMS and AsLMS tracks not included in the WEC:
Monza- 8
Red Bull Ring- 7
Paul Ricard- 6
Algarve- 7
Zhuhai- 6
Buriram- 7
Sepang- 7
Old 24 Nov 2017, 03:09 (Ref:3782549)   #50
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
For IMSA:
Daytona- 7
Sebring- 8
Long Beach- 6
Austin- 6
Detroit- 6
Watkins Glen- 8
Mosport- 7
Lime Rock- 7
Road America- 9
VIRginia- 9
Laguna Seca- 7
Road Atlanta- 9
Mid Ohio- 8

LMP2/DPI- 9
GTLM- 9
GTD- 7

IMSA- 9

The scales used here have somewhat different benchmarks when comparing IMSA and the WEC, ELMS, etc.

Pulling out the paved run-off at the Glen could make that one a 10. Pulling out the paved run-off and making it an enduro could make Road America a 10. Adding the P cars and making it an enduro could make VIR a 10.

It's hard to compare permanent road courses and street circuits, since the sets of parameters are different. As circuits, I prefer Long Beach and Belle Isle over Austin, but they are short races, and don't include all classes.

Sorry for the serial posts.

Last edited by Purist; 24 Nov 2017 at 03:18.