Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 16 Dec 2018, 09:23 (Ref:3870639)   #3226
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have little doubt that once free from the EU chain gang Branston's will once again become palatable.
Their sauce is till OK!
Old 16 Dec 2018, 09:35 (Ref:3870641)   #3227
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Their sauce is till OK!
Is it sold on UK highways by Belgian girls too? Did you it try with a banana? Sorry, I'm talking about the sauce, of course.

Last edited by Gerard C; 16 Dec 2018 at 09:40.
Old 16 Dec 2018, 10:13 (Ref:3870644)   #3228
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Branston is a pickle I thought.
Old 16 Dec 2018, 10:39 (Ref:3870647)   #3229
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Falce View Post
Branston is a pickle I thought.
Mmmmm Fried Banana and bacon sandwich with branston.....
Old 16 Dec 2018, 10:48 (Ref:3870648)   #3230
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Is it sold on UK highways by Belgian girls too? Did you it try with a banana? Sorry, I'm talking about the sauce, of course.
I can't think what else you could be referring to, you naughty homme!
Old 16 Dec 2018, 10:52 (Ref:3870649)   #3231
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Look forward to it. Enjoy your weekend.
OK, snow stopped play - e.g. I can't be bothered to de-ice the car just yet!
Since your post is already back several pages and I don't fancy cutting and pasting bit by bit I'll try to add relevant comments but without the text!

As we both say the obvious day to day benefits are things like roaming charges, free travel, investment in infrastructure and so on.
Most of the discussion has been based on the red-tape side but there are many other aspects to the EU, which probably have a wider impact on people's lives than the red-tape which affect a limited range of topics.

Homogenous technical regulations make a lot of sense but how you agree such things isn't obvious given that everyone wants to look after their own interests.

If the EU is reliant on EU produced goods that is presumably to the benefit of European countries' industries which doesn't sound like a bad starting point - many countries tend to buy local, hence France still has a car industry, while the UK's decision to import foreign coal didn't do much good for the home grown industry etc.

DUP reference was to the approach to negotiations, given the only word they seem to utter is NO! If you take an active part in negotiations there is more chance of having an influence on the outcome. Years ago I knew people that were fed up with Mrs T's constantly saying No to everything and then having to agree to whatever the others had decided - and these were people working within her govt.!

Countries financial difficulties are possibly an issue but given they aren't going to move, they wouldn't seem to be a major financial risk for lenders?
Isn't it the case that America was theoretically bankrupt for years (we know that it is currently morally bankrupt)?

As for youth unemployment the EU are well aware of the problem and looking at solutions, but they need long term solutions to an issue that has been building for years (due to increased life expectancy, changes in activities and many other issues).
Quick fix short term solutions aren't a viable answer - the UK keep telling us how many jobs they have created, but it looks like most of those jobs are
of poor quality (insecure, poorly paid) and often the result of turning a full time job into several part time ones - that isn't a long term solution.

One issue with job creation is the value for money aspect, if you spend a million a year and it supports 50 jobs, you want to be sure that those people earn considerably more than 20 grand a year, otherwise it would have been more effective to simply give them the money.

The UK being the 5th largest economy is I suspect one of its problems (e.g. it sounds far more impressive than it is) - that figure is seemingly based on a turnover type figure and given that a huge proportion is based on service industries that means the people who are benefitting from the figures are the Deutsche, Swiss, French and so on companies who's name is on the door of the leading companies.
e.g. what is more beneficial to the local economy, a large foreign company that pays remarkably little tax and takes it's profits back home or a local industry that pays an appropriate amount of tax and employs lots of local people?

I didn't know that the UK election includes who you want to be PM, I thought it was just a case that the party you vote for tell you who they will chose?
Ultimately it shouldn't really matter because they are meant to be part of a democratic process and there is a consensus for decisions rather than some form of dictatorship.

That history of the EU thing is strange, no mention of the European Coal & Steel community etc. but it does explain the name of a few bus/tram stops around Brussels!!

Now to the crux/current issue:
The disgruntled people; what is really strange is why people felt that leaving the EU was the solution to home grown problems.
It's very easy to understand why people are annoyed about the lack of infrastructure (hospitals, transport, education and so on), their financial plight, reliance on cheap immigrant labour and so on.
But the EU wasn't responsible for decades of tax cuts (e.g. reduction in funding for infrastructure), lack of investment, selling off the family silver, growth in reliance on borrowing, austerity measures and reliance on other countries training of staff etc.

There are many different reasons people had for leaving the EU, the problem is the govt. did not tell the public what their reason was - it's actually taken them 2 years to tell anyone what they want - so some people will find it offers what they wanted but many others will find it doesn't have any bearing on it.

If there had been a plan the govt. would have presented the current withdrawal document the day after starting Article 50 at which point they should have had 2 years to tie up the details. Instead they decided to take 2 years to work out what we want and then will need a similar amount of time to sort the details out.
If people are already fed up with how long it's taken so far, how chuffed will they be to find out that they've just about reached the starting point!!

Perhaps Mr Cameron will come back to sort out the mess he created in an attempt to save his bacon (intentional pig pun).

Peter who's now off to play with the snow now (e.g. hopes it's melted).
Old 16 Dec 2018, 10:58 (Ref:3870651)   #3232
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I have little doubt that once free from the EU chain gang Branston's will once again become palatable.
Their sauce is till OK!
That assumes the Japanese company who Branston are happy to change it!!

Maybe someone could ask the other Japanese company that owns the Crosse & Blackwell name to let them make a Crosse & Blackwell sauce to the original spec. (none of this small chunk, squeezy bottle type rubbish either).

Weirdly some Belgian restaurants offer Crosse & Blackwell sauce as an option but I doubt it is proper pickle.
Old 16 Dec 2018, 11:46 (Ref:3870655)   #3233
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMorley View Post
If there had been a plan the govt. would have presented the current withdrawal document the day after starting Article 50 at which point they should have had 2 years to tie up the details. Instead they decided to take 2 years to work out what we want and then will need a similar amount of time to sort the details out.
If people are already fed up with how long it's taken so far, how chuffed will they be to find out that they've just about reached the starting point!
I never had any faith in the respective governments involved being able to make an exit work, and always believed we’d be in for 10 years of uncertainty and instability. Which is why I would rather the referendum had gone the other way!
Old 16 Dec 2018, 12:07 (Ref:3870665)   #3234
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Mmmmm Fried Banana and bacon sandwich with branston.....
VoilÃ* enfin un homme qui a du goût pour les produits naturels… sans délaisser les mélanges exotiques!
E.B, did you see Race Retro to celebrate the F1 turbo era, featuring our famous yellow tea pots? A French invention, of course!
https://www.raceretro.com/article/ra...-first-victory

Last edited by Gerard C; 16 Dec 2018 at 12:18.
Old 16 Dec 2018, 12:27 (Ref:3870668)   #3235
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Any one a good idea to spot a genuine L'Tina from a De Luxe? Price tag apart…
Info here http://www.lotuscortinainfo.com/?page_id=2225 must be reliable I guess…

That info looks pretty good.....I once went looking at a Mk1 Lotus Cortina advertised in the States - a couple of mates and I were over there car-shopping, as it was the time when the exchange rate was $2 = £1 (1992) - and as my mate was interested in the LC but didn't know too much about them he asked me to check it out....

Initial impression looked OK, then I ducked down under the back - no A-frame, no radius arms......no further interest in a look-alike

He ended up buying a couple of Alfas and a Chevy Day-van, and I bought a couple of Alfa Spiders (one of which I still have) and a Sunbeam Imp, which I ran for a few years before selling it in Holland
Old 16 Dec 2018, 12:33 (Ref:3870670)   #3236
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
VoilÃ* enfin un homme qui a du goût pour les produits naturels… sans délaisser les mélanges exotiques!
E.B, did you see Race Retro to celebrate the F1 turbo era, featuring our famous yellow tea pots? A French invention, of course!
Exotic is not the word I’d use!

While you’ve been reading up on Race Retro, I’ve been doing the same for RetroMobile...... Love the Berliet T100 truck, but am concerned about the traffic chaos while getting it to the show!

I also see in the Mini 60th anniversary info, it says that the car ‘took part in the Monte Carlo Rally for several years’, ignoring the fact that it won 4 of them! Or is that still a sensitive issue for some people......
Old 16 Dec 2018, 12:37 (Ref:3870671)   #3237
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
May be your Alfa's are inizione then? There are so many "chances" to buy a look alike may be its better to go for a De Luxe with the Lotus trim and pay for what it is really. Given that the purpose is racing only, the technical difference and the performance will be minimal I guess.
Old 16 Dec 2018, 12:47 (Ref:3870672)   #3238
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I also see in the Mini 60th anniversary info, it says that the car ‘took part in the Monte Carlo Rally for several years’, ignoring the fact that it won 4 of them! Or is that still a sensitive issue for some people......
Because you still suspect you could find any trace of culture showed by some press people? Didn't have a look to the English version but what about the first chassis drawings due to a French engineer, ignoring that a DKW had already a transversal engine fitted. Should we let the GW people make a report, sure this time the word "ridiculous" will stick.
Prepare yourself to read, one day or another, that Lotus had a tough competitor. The name? Kleenex!
Old 16 Dec 2018, 13:11 (Ref:3870673)   #3239
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
https://www.raceretro.com/article/ra...-first-victory
Heheh first time I have heard of a banana and bacon sandwich as exotic! I always thought I was just weird. :wink:

Thanks for the link for the turbo F1s! Probably my favourite era of F1.
I am now on retromomobile's newsletter circulation for future gems.

Thanks again for the pointer.
Old 16 Dec 2018, 14:07 (Ref:3870676)   #3240
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I only had some experiences with turbocharged cars, 2002 and 934. The turbo lag was really an issue with those and you'd better wait a bit before jumping on the brakes. Missing that will wreck the pads rather quickly. If my memory serves well, the best 934 driver we had was Bob Wolleck. Being official he couldn't really say what he meant about it, recognizing that it was not an easy car… Any RSR is much more user friendly. I've always been dreaming about the 935 but never had any opportunity to race one. Nice silhouette though.
Old 16 Dec 2018, 14:14 (Ref:3870677)   #3241
bauble
Veteran

England
Peter (Morley).

You clearly have a decent grasp on the working of the EU, and perhaps understand the benefits better than people like me do. I voted to leave, but did not even attempt to understand the ramifications of the decision, anymore than I attempted to understand the 'benefits' of joining in the first place. I was always dead against that, and curse Major for dragging us in.

I vote on instinct believing that as a nation the UK is better off looking after itself, and not getting involved politically with continental Europe.

It is a sort of unashamed 'jingoism', probably as a result of growing up at war with Germany and having to save most of Europe from the Nazis.
I might be selfish at 81 years old, but am prepared to suffer years of hardship to escape the dead hand of Brussels.

It is not all logic, mostly 'gut instinct', but that is the best reason as far as I am concerned.

having stated my position I do find your posts most interesting, and well presented, who knows I might even change my mind.

Kind regards,

Bob.
Old 16 Dec 2018, 15:49 (Ref:3870681)   #3242
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Just in from a cold and wet track at Silverstone . We took the Cooper Maserati for shake down before she gets sent to Phillip Island . All good our end but there many red flags with a lot of boy racers throwing their cars of into the gravel .
Old 16 Dec 2018, 16:18 (Ref:3870687)   #3243
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm on an enforced break, watching the cycling on BBC2. Properly exciting but I still can't work out what the moped has to do with it. The Madison is properly hectic.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 16 Dec 2018, 16:18 (Ref:3870688)   #3244
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Which Cooper Maserati is that Iain?.

Old 16 Dec 2018, 16:37 (Ref:3870689)   #3245
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I'm on an enforced break, watching the cycling on BBC2. Properly exciting but I still can't work out what the moped has to do with it. The Madison is properly hectic.
They tried using an electric Derny bike, which makes total sense to me indoors, but the cyclists couldn’t hear it so they reverted to an ICE. Not sure if 2 stroke though.....

I caught a glimpse of some of the para-cycling and that was well impressive as well.
Old 16 Dec 2018, 16:48 (Ref:3870691)   #3246
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I guess they turn anti-clockwise. Will that change on April the 2nd? May be the answer could be something like: they will still turn anti-clockwise, after having change the watches…
Old 16 Dec 2018, 17:32 (Ref:3870696)   #3247
midgetman
Veteran

I did some cycling on a Velodrome for a few sessions. Had my biggest ever racing crash......bloody sight more dangerous than you think!

If you get to see the bikes, they're pulling a massive front sprocket. Seriously powerful legs needed.

Old 16 Dec 2018, 18:06 (Ref:3870699)   #3248
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
One of the most demanding sport, no discussion about that. Following your post, I had a look to the speeds achieved during "record de l'heure". All started in 1893 with 35kph then 44kph in 1914, this one lasting for 19 years.The record established by your Chris Boardman seems the best with more than 56kph. Please note that our super vet', now retired, Robert Marchand realized an honorable 26 when young. He was only… 104! Respect, Monsieur. Conclusion? Le vélo, ça conserve!
See that, mon Ami Robert?
Old 16 Dec 2018, 19:15 (Ref:3870702)   #3249
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Which Cooper Maserati is that Iain?.

Great big sports car max., Ex Salvadori. As Steve McQueen said "slipping and sliding"but great fun. I will find a picture and post up.
Old 16 Dec 2018, 19:25 (Ref:3870704)   #3250
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cooper Maserati b.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	52317
Here you go.
Closed Thread