Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

View Poll Results: V8's a stepping stone for Aussie drivers trying to get to NASCAR?
good for drivers and the sport? 4 50.00%
just good for the drivers won't do nothing for the sport? 3 37.50%
Too early to tell yet 1 12.50%
No it's not a good thing 0 0%
Let's wait and see if more Aussies go over there and do well 0 0%
Nascar drivers coming to our enduros never crack it, so they aren't a good gauge 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26 Mar 2008, 13:51 (Ref:2162070)   #1
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
V8's a stepping stone for Aussie drivers trying to get to NASCAR?

with Marcos taking the step showing it can be done aswell of rumours of Rick apparently was looking at it, now Jamie is having a look and on top of that Dale Jnr testing a V8 and Boris Said doing the enduro's, it seems that it has been proven it can be done and the link is there could NASCAR teams look at Aussie talent in V8's? the age of competitors in V8's is getting younger and that trend looks set to continue. it seems very promising for our drivers and V8's as a category as it will put V8's onto the world stage and could attrack more NASCAR drivers down under to taste the V8's in testing and the enduro's.

what do you guys think?
Old 27 Mar 2008, 00:24 (Ref:2162601)   #2
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think your drawing quite the long bow, apart from Ambrose and Owen Kelly it's been just words (Said - a very experienced sports car road racer is heading in the other direction) and Kelly hasn't done much yet.

One driver does not a trend make.
Old 27 Mar 2008, 00:43 (Ref:2162618)   #3
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would put more options on the poll:
  • Too early to tell yet
  • No it's not a good thing
  • Let's wait and see if more Aussies go over there and do well
  • Nascar drivers coming to our enduros never crack it, so they aren't a good gauge
Old 27 Mar 2008, 00:49 (Ref:2162622)   #4
stoned pony
Veteran

Vanuatu
Chained to my desk
stoned pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I actually think Paul Morris would be a good candidate for NASCAR although probably a bit old now. He has the right attitude.
Old 27 Mar 2008, 01:20 (Ref:2162641)   #5
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think you'll see many Nascar drivers from the USA coming over just because their schedules are so busy. Boris only drives part time right now in nascar. I don't know Boris but I am friends with someone who knows him well and he says Boris will drive anything, anywhere. But I think you'll find him to be the exception than the rule.

Keep in mind with Ambrose he had backing from Ford which opened some doors and made some introductions for him so he could get a start. Owen Kelly met Dale Jr. in Australia and he's helped him with a start in Late Models. So really unless you have some backing and someone to make introductions for you the reality is you're just another guy off the street.
Old 27 Mar 2008, 03:33 (Ref:2162678)   #6
db120176
Racer

Australia
Sydney CBD
db120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddb120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't expect our drivers (admittedly including Marcos) to do particularly well in Nascar with the exception of the non-oval circuits. Oval track racing is such a specialty with it's multiple lines through the corners that the locals will probably keep the front of grid to themselves. It's hard to name a driver based in the US who has made the move to ovals from traditional circuits and done well. Even Scott Pruett who had a mix of both did poorly, not to mention Villeneuve
Old 27 Mar 2008, 04:25 (Ref:2162692)   #7
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't necessarily want to pay out Nascar as I don't mind watching a bit of it on the ol Foxtel.

Having said that, is it me - or is there something strange about Americans being the only ones to making racing a 4 corner oval completely and utterly complex?

I would have thought that a comptetent team with a good car setup should be the base requirements. You would then just use the drafting to your advantage and make sure your pit stop strategies are good.

But there is obviously more to it than that...

Perhaps you would need to undertake dizzyness training (i.e. spin around in circles 200 times and still be able to walk in a straight line afterwards). Yeeha.
Old 27 Mar 2008, 12:45 (Ref:2162992)   #8
WebberForWDC
Veteran

Australia
Australia
WebberForWDC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well if there are only four corners loss of 0.02 second in each of them could lead to very poor results on the scoreboard, whereas circuit racing would surely be less exciting? A car quick out of the hairpin could be as quick as a car fast through a sweeper in a circuit race but not so on a oval race, surely making the oval race more exacting in it's requirements?