Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 31 Oct 2003, 05:19 (Ref:768790)   #1
bartman71
Veteran

bartman71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
toyota in v8's

just wondering what people think about toyota entering v8's now they have announced that they will enter the craftman truck series in the states.
TRD have produced a pushrod v8 for that series and ar hoping to enter nascar soon.
now that there is an engine for TMCA to use i can't see a problem.
Old 31 Oct 2003, 05:25 (Ref:768794)   #2
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Aside from the debate as to whether they can or are willing to, it would certainly make things more interesting...
Old 31 Oct 2003, 06:20 (Ref:768808)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
But the red boys will cry, bleat, whinge & moan to the extent that they will threaten to leave the series... and all will remain as it is now...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 31 Oct 2003, 06:21 (Ref:768809)   #4
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
V8's will never be a sucess overseas without Toyota and or Mitsubishi. Then again Toyota and Mitsubishi won't be interested unless they race overseas.
Old 31 Oct 2003, 06:33 (Ref:768810)   #5
ttsoarer
Rookie

ttsoarer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i can just see a v8 chaser or lexus out in front now

bring it on i say .... but im a bit biassed... no a lot biassed
Old 31 Oct 2003, 06:36 (Ref:768811)   #6
bartman71
Veteran

i think toyota would use either Avalon (nice to drive but to plain} or camry (nice to drive but need more power)
Old 31 Oct 2003, 07:09 (Ref:768818)   #7
pete55
Veteran

If Toyota do enter i reckon it will be in an Avalon. They would want to be seen to be competing against the Commodore and Falcon on the track and in the showrooms.
Old 31 Oct 2003, 07:18 (Ref:768820)   #8
pete55
Veteran

If Toyota do enter i reckon it will be in an Avalon. They would want to be seen to be competing against the Commodore and Falcon on the track and in the showrooms.
Old 31 Oct 2003, 08:11 (Ref:768847)   #9
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
But the red boys will cry, bleat, whinge & moan to the extent that they will threaten to leave the series... and all will remain as it is now...

Good! If we think we've had parity problems in the past, wait till a rear drive which is really a front drive 8 cylinder which is really a 6 cylinder is fiddled to keep in line with the others.

Yes it could work in theory but how far do we want to go into Sports Sedans (not that there's anything wrong with that or Nascar??

Last edited by Mattracer; 31 Oct 2003 at 08:12.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 31 Oct 2003, 08:26 (Ref:768857)   #10
Wizzby
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA
Wizzby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An Avalon?!?!

Sorry, but that makes me laugh hearing the words Avalon and Race in the same sentence...
Old 31 Oct 2003, 08:32 (Ref:768861)   #11
Mattracer
Veteran

The blue rinse set will be happy!

Honestly though, where were the "outsiders" before V8 Supercar was the the success it now is? Jumping on the successful bandwaggon is marginal and I'l accept the umpire's decision I guess but the vehicles must fit the original parameters which is rear drive V8 in actual mass market production. The Avalon and Magna do not reach the Australian market with a V8 engine in rear drive configuration. Fair trading may have a point but this has been happening for a decade now.

Last edited by Mattracer; 31 Oct 2003 at 08:34.

Old 31 Oct 2003, 08:36 (Ref:768867)   #12
Wizzby
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA
Wizzby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't see why they are sticking with the production car line. Let's face it, today's Supercars are NOTHING like the road cars, the chassis looks similar and that's about it. I think it's about time they moved on from this, let the other guys come in and try their luck.
Old 31 Oct 2003, 09:03 (Ref:768894)   #13
Mattracer
Veteran

I know! So let's have more in there to spice it up!

Old 31 Oct 2003, 13:27 (Ref:769164)   #14
prn 31
Racer

prn 31 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toyota are about to enter NASCAR, so I can see V8 Supercar next, but it won't be with the current Avalon which is a dead duck that no can save.

For V8Supercar to go international it needs Toyota (and to a lesser extent Mitsubishi) but whether the FIA would be happy with Toyota diverting a few mill from their F1 program is debatable.

Remember Max has promised Bernie that the FIA will quash any threats to F1's supremacy - just like the did with WTCC and World Sports Cars.
Old 1 Nov 2003, 05:38 (Ref:769871)   #15
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mattracer

Honestly though, where were the "outsiders" before V8 Supercar was the the success it now is?
Competing in the series before being kicked out because Ford and Holden complained about being beaten.........
Old 1 Nov 2003, 06:20 (Ref:769885)   #16
Mattracer
Veteran

No, they competed in the ATCC before it became the V8 Supercar "era".

Old 1 Nov 2003, 09:01 (Ref:769923)   #17
bartman71
Veteran

but the rules for v8 supercar did not allow them to compete so they basically were kick out
Old 1 Nov 2003, 09:13 (Ref:769926)   #18
pete55
Veteran

I remember fondly Peter Williamsons Celicas competing against the Toranas, Falcons, Commodores, BMW's, Capris etc and doing quiet well for a 2 Litre car.
Old 2 Nov 2003, 03:30 (Ref:770500)   #19
Mattracer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by bartman71
but the rules for v8 supercar did not allow them to compete so they basically were kick out
So develop, market and successfully sell a rear drive V8 sedan for the roads, then come back and "we'll talk".

Old 2 Nov 2003, 04:02 (Ref:770506)   #20
pete55
Veteran

The only thing in common a Commodore and Falcon road car has now is that there is a V8 engine and it's rear wheel drive. Nascar has gone the silhoutte route and they seem to have no problems with fans worrying whether the original car was front wheel drive or not. I can't see any problem with it as the cars are so far removed from standard anyway. Mitsubishi is now making a all wheel drive car so i guess they are half way there.
Old 2 Nov 2003, 04:55 (Ref:770518)   #21
Conrod Kieron
Veteran

Conrod Kieron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by racer69
Competing in the series before being kicked out because Ford and Holden complained about being beaten.........
Neither Toyota or Mitsubishi had an entry in Euro Group A.
Ford also dominated in the Euro Group A era so i'm not sure you should include them in the above statement.

I assume you are referring to the 2 years of Nissan GTR domination though, but that didn't prompt the V8SC catagory, what did was the change from Group A in its home contries to Supertourers which would have left Australia with a bunch of orphaned cars and the falling interest in this class. Going back to V8 Ford vs V8 Holden was a no brainer.

I would have preferred a few more makes running just like our home grown Group C and wouldn't mind seeing Toyota/Mitsubishi etc enter our premier tin top catagory but I can see major hurdles, primarily because V8SC is seen by Ford/Holden as a major advertising forum and allowing new manufacturers in would be seen as giving them a free leg up onto the band wagon, nothing to do with Ford/Holden being scared of loosing.
Old 2 Nov 2003, 05:08 (Ref:770520)   #22
pete55
Veteran

They can blame CAMS for that. They were the people who made the choice to go this way, not the car makers. I for one won't mind seeing other makes in the series. Either that or let GTP be our top class.
Old 2 Nov 2003, 10:58 (Ref:770628)   #23
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Toyota were in Group A with the Supra .

I'd love nothing more than GTP to be the main series but 10 keeps telling us how much we love V8 when more than 70% on the road are not so the buying public are saying something else .

I just wish this V8 aera would hurry up and finish jezzz
Old 2 Nov 2003, 11:05 (Ref:770631)   #24
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mattracer

Honestly though, where were the "outsiders" before V8 Supercar was the the success it now is? Jumping on the successful bandwaggon is marginal and I'l accept the umpire's decision I guess but the vehicles must fit the original parameters which is rear drive V8 in actual mass market production. The Avalon and Magna do not reach the Australian market with a V8 engine in rear drive configuration. Fair trading may have a point but this has been happening for a decade now.
And where was Ford when Toyota was fielding factory supported touring car teams in the late 70's, 80's and early 90's? Thats a very large double edged sword your swinging there Matt, be careful what it hits.
Old 2 Nov 2003, 11:23 (Ref:770641)   #25
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Conrod Kieron
Neither Toyota or Mitsubishi had an entry in Euro Group A.
Ford also dominated in the Euro Group A era so i'm not sure you should include them in the above statement.

I assume you are referring to the 2 years of Nissan GTR domination though, but that didn't prompt the V8SC catagory, what did was the change from Group A in its home contries to Supertourers which would have left Australia with a bunch of orphaned cars and the falling interest in this class. Going back to V8 Ford vs V8 Holden was a no brainer.

I would have preferred a few more makes running just like our home grown Group C and wouldn't mind seeing Toyota/Mitsubishi etc enter our premier tin top catagory but I can see major hurdles, primarily because V8SC is seen by Ford/Holden as a major advertising forum and allowing new manufacturers in would be seen as giving them a free leg up onto the band wagon, nothing to do with Ford/Holden being scared of loosing.
European Toyota Group A 1986
http://homepage.mac.com/frank_de_jon...86%20Cars.html
European Toyota Group A 1987
http://homepage.mac.com/frank_de_jon...87%20Cars.html
European Toyota Group A 1988
http://homepage.mac.com/frank_de_jon...88%20Cars.html