Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 9 Sep 2005, 18:23 (Ref:1403148)   #1
I love 04s
Racer

United Kingdom
I love 04s has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Your Favorite LMP ALMS/LMES Driver

The People's Favorite!

Who is everyone's favorite LMES/ALMS driver from the current season (for any reason!), there are not enough options for a poll so put who is yours and a reason why...........
Old 9 Sep 2005, 18:58 (Ref:1403176)   #2
RobertPrange
Racer

Germany
Germany
RobertPrange should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marco Werner , because hes an exceptional good racer whos finally able to showcase his talent at a fairly high age.

Clint Field is amazingly talented too , especially considering his age.
Old 9 Sep 2005, 19:37 (Ref:1403201)   #3
19dodge
Veteran

19dodge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
James Weaver for ALMS. Weaver always is at 100% in the Dyson Lola.

Hayanari Shimoda for LMES. Hayanari is hands down the best driver in the P1 catagory right now.
Old 9 Sep 2005, 20:01 (Ref:1403215)   #4
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Shimoda is very talented, but the best in P1? That's saying quite a bit considering who else is driving in that category in the LMES at the moment. McNish, Ortelli, Magnussen, Minassian...

For the LMES I'd take McNish. Although, maybe he's not a fulltime driver. The guy is just brilliantly quick and knows how to bring a car home.

As for the ALMS, I'd have to pick Marco Werner. He's very quick and consistent.
Old 9 Sep 2005, 20:43 (Ref:1403247)   #5
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hayanari Shimoda . don't know if he's the best . but he's my favorite

Ciao Marco
Old 9 Sep 2005, 20:57 (Ref:1403254)   #6
Joe Taylor
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warwickshire, UK
Joe Taylor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't really have favourites (I support cars rather than drivers) but I think that the best LMP driver in the LMES is McNish and James Weaver in ALMS (his mistake at RA was one of his first ever!)
Old 9 Sep 2005, 21:00 (Ref:1403256)   #7
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm gonna say Shimoda in LMES too because both he and his car are a great breath of fresh air for sportscar racing - despite the current Zytek's illegality from next year onwards.

I don't know much about ALMS but I quite like JJ Lehto (altho not in a lovvy kinda way lol)
Old 9 Sep 2005, 22:29 (Ref:1403310)   #8
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Im going with Shimoda too, fantastic driver, hes done very well IMO this year both in the ALMS races and the LMES races here in Europe. Sure he didnt win the ALMS race, but that wasnt really his fault, and they almost won. Shimoda gets the nod for me too.
Old 9 Sep 2005, 22:46 (Ref:1403314)   #9
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Minassian
Old 10 Sep 2005, 03:50 (Ref:1403426)   #10
Gunman
Racer

United States
Mooresville, NC
Gunman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Joao Barbosa. He's fast, and a helluva nice guy.
Old 10 Sep 2005, 05:27 (Ref:1403489)   #11
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shimoda is the quickest in 2005.
Old 10 Sep 2005, 07:02 (Ref:1403519)   #12
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Minassian
Mine too!!
Old 10 Sep 2005, 08:19 (Ref:1403545)   #13
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
James Weaver, as the american comentator says, he just keeps coming and is a smart driver !!!
But Hayanari Shimoda really did proove he is a force in endurance racing !
Old 10 Sep 2005, 08:29 (Ref:1403547)   #14
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All very subjective as it is impossible to compare to drivers speed unless they drive for the same team. All we can really say for example is Shimoda is faster than Chilton.

Endurance racing is about more than outright speed therefore I choose McNish in the LMES. He has talent by the bucket load and can wring every ounce from a car that has had its performance pegged back.

Shimoda is very very good, but needs to calm down a bit. Put them both in the same car and McNish would be the better driver imho, turn in lap after lap within 10ths. But if Shimoda sticks with Proto's, which I hope, he will be a massive asset for the series and could even tempt some works teams from Japan into making a new P1 if his and therefore the series status gets high enough back home. Shimoda has the potential to be huge.

Weaver in the ALMS, still a very quick driver dispite his advancing years. Not really seen enough of the races to compare drivers really.
Old 10 Sep 2005, 08:43 (Ref:1403550)   #15
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic
All very subjective as it is impossible to compare to drivers speed unless they drive for the same team. All we can really say for example is Shimoda is faster than Chilton.

Endurance racing is about more than outright speed therefore I choose McNish in the LMES. He has talent by the bucket load and can wring every ounce from a car that has had its performance pegged back.

Shimoda is very very good, but needs to calm down a bit. Put them both in the same car and McNish would be the better driver imho, turn in lap after lap within 10ths. But if Shimoda sticks with Proto's, which I hope, he will be a massive asset for the series and could even tempt some works teams from Japan into making a new P1 if his and therefore the series status gets high enough back home. Shimoda has the potential to be huge.

Weaver in the ALMS, still a very quick driver dispite his advancing years. Not really seen enough of the races to compare drivers really.
I took the thread title literally. Favourite is one thing, best is something entirely different. Should we have yet another thread with 'best' in the title?
Old 10 Sep 2005, 08:58 (Ref:1403556)   #16
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
Should we have yet another thread with 'best' in the title?
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Old 10 Sep 2005, 09:01 (Ref:1403559)   #17
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooo..........
Old 10 Sep 2005, 11:33 (Ref:1403643)   #18
I love 04s
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Shimoda is very very good, but needs to calm down a bit. Put them both in the same car and McNish would be the better driver imho, turn in lap after lap within 10ths
Maybe, although if you have seen the times from Nurburgring or Spa you will see that Shimoda is incredibly consistent with his times, especially at Nurburgring when he was constantly in the 1.47s with that incredible 1.46.02. The simple fact is that he had to lap in those times to make it mathematically possible to catch the leading cars.......although i agree he needs to calm down a little bit.

Maybe we could see the likes of Shimoda and McNish in the Audi R11 next year.................then we will really find out who is better!
Old 10 Sep 2005, 12:30 (Ref:1403674)   #19
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love 04s

Maybe we could see the likes of Shimoda and McNish in the Audi R11 next year.................then we will really find out who is better!
I would prefer to see them fighting it out in differant teams and cars that are unhindered by penaltys but have parity of performance.

But either way Shimoda is the coming man in sportscars and the level he needs to get to is displayed by McNish & TomK (if if only he had a full time drive)and others.

My big worry is that we may never see the best of him if he gets lured away to another type of racing.
Old 10 Sep 2005, 12:33 (Ref:1403675)   #20
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
he is a better sports car driver than single seat driver imo !!
Old 10 Sep 2005, 14:42 (Ref:1403742)   #21
I love 04s
Racer

United Kingdom
Certainly he is better at sportscar but his ambition is to reach Formula 1 - it always has been and he has always maintained that. GP2 could be an interesting series for him next year if he gets a drive as he is now well aware of how to preserve tires and handle 600bhp+ cars from his sportscar experience. Hopefully we will see him stay in sportscar and get a full time drive - he is clearly good enough to be a neutral or even payed driver. However if he does progress to F1 he certainly will not be the first........
Quote:
During 1990 and 1991 Schumacher moved into sports car racing, instead of the more usual step up to Formula 3000. Many managers believed this would block his progression to Formula 1, but Weber believed that exposure to professional press conferences and dealing with the cars of 700bhp would be beneficial.
Old 10 Sep 2005, 15:01 (Ref:1403748)   #22
I love 04s
Racer

United Kingdom
Maybe an R11 drive against McNish in another R11 at Le Mans....
Old 10 Sep 2005, 16:10 (Ref:1403773)   #23
Snips1
Racer

Denmark
Denmark
Snips1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jan Magnussen is my favourite driver.....

Incredible talented and is one of the best drivers in the world

Didn't he win the "most popular driver" award a couple of years ago??
Old 14 Sep 2005, 12:25 (Ref:1407627)   #24
Petrick
Rookie

Petrick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JJ. Best driver in bad conditions/night and he has always funny comments.
Old 14 Sep 2005, 13:18 (Ref:1407682)   #25
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My favourite proto driver at the moment is Shimoda aswell, he certainly has a knack of making races exciting. Probably the biggest future prospect in prototypes right now.