Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Apr 2011, 10:15 (Ref:2868033)   #1
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
DRS to be banned....

.....in Monaco?

Linky.

Seem's an obvious decision to me.
Old 22 Apr 2011, 10:20 (Ref:2868036)   #2
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Yes. A bit obvious.
Old 22 Apr 2011, 10:54 (Ref:2868058)   #3
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Obviously they don't want passing at Monaco. Ban it through practice, fine, but allow it from Portier through to Novello Chicane.
Old 22 Apr 2011, 11:03 (Ref:2868061)   #4
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Sissies!
Old 22 Apr 2011, 11:03 (Ref:2868062)   #5
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Obviously they don't want passing at Monaco.
It's always going to be difficult at Monaco, whatever the regulations are.

Not sure either how having greatly reduced downforce at the rear of the car will work out in what is essentially a right hand corner through a tunnel!

Hopefully the tyres will play a key role in helping out there. Super-soft and soft tyres are on the menu.
Old 22 Apr 2011, 11:08 (Ref:2868064)   #6
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I was just getting a bit enthusiastic about the DRS, I'm suddenly made well aware again that the device is artificial.
Old 22 Apr 2011, 11:20 (Ref:2868070)   #7
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Obviously they don't want passing at Monaco. Ban it through practice, fine, but allow it from Portier through to Novello Chicane.
Go and find out how DRS actually works, then come back and persuade us there's room!
Old 22 Apr 2011, 11:33 (Ref:2868076)   #8
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
As I was just getting a bit enthusiastic about the DRS, I'm suddenly made well aware again that the device is artificial.
Big wide rear slicks are the answer. I want to see drivers dancing their cars through the barriers like in the 80's. Chuck it in, and deal with the slides in the corner.
Old 22 Apr 2011, 11:33 (Ref:2868077)   #9
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
There is no technical reason why the DRS cannot be used at Monaco. It seems to be more of a safety issue among some of the drivers.
Old 22 Apr 2011, 11:37 (Ref:2868078)   #10
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Big wide rear slicks are the answer. I want to see drivers dancing their cars through the barriers like in the 80's. Chuck it in, and deal with the slides in the corner.
Many things were a lot less sophisticated back then. Tyres included.
Old 22 Apr 2011, 11:43 (Ref:2868084)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Yup, except I've never been enthusiastic about it.
Old 22 Apr 2011, 11:49 (Ref:2868089)   #12
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Yup, except I've never been enthusiastic about it.

Fix the problem don't just create another one.
Old 22 Apr 2011, 11:50 (Ref:2868092)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I can't understand why it will be banned. It would be very ineffectual at Monaco, but no real reason to ban it.

Still, I don't care really.
Old 22 Apr 2011, 12:08 (Ref:2868100)   #14
HughGJohnson
Racer

Switzerland
like Bill Maher, "I'm Swiss"
HughGJohnson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Clearly there's very little reason to have it and and a good case to be made for banning it at Monaco. However, banning the new overtaking gimmic at Monaco would be quite ironic. What if it rains in Hungary and DRS isn't used at either race?
Old 22 Apr 2011, 12:13 (Ref:2868104)   #15
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post

Fix the problem don't just create another one.
It's the Elephant in the room that everyone seems to be ignoring.

But it seems that it's necessary for F1 to have to be the fastest (in terms of lap times) open wheel series for it to have any credibility among so called 'fans'. This requires F1 cars to have far greater downforce (with resulting drag and turbulence) compared to other open wheel series. The DRS allows for this to remain so, but also allows for the possibility of overtaking.
Old 22 Apr 2011, 12:21 (Ref:2868109)   #16
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
When the cars are going through the tunnel they have more than enough excess downforce to take the right hander flat out, removing a bit of drag at the rear at those speeds isn't going to have a massive effect.
Old 22 Apr 2011, 12:31 (Ref:2868114)   #17
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
When the cars are going through the tunnel they have more than enough excess downforce to take the right hander flat out, removing a bit of drag at the rear at those speeds isn't going to have a massive effect.
It's the balance of the car from front to rear that will cause problems for the drivers and not the overall loss of downforce. Even if the cars had twice as much downforce, the balance from front to rear would still be a problem if the DRS were to be used on a corner.
Old 22 Apr 2011, 12:46 (Ref:2868121)   #18
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
I doubt it. Those tyres allowed a huge slip angle, but modern tyre technology doesn't.
Old 22 Apr 2011, 14:31 (Ref:2868161)   #19
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
I doubt it. Those tyres allowed a huge slip angle, but modern tyre technology doesn't.
However, if Pirelli can manufacture tyres "for the show" as they do now. Whats stopping them from developing a tyre with a huge slip angle in mind?
Old 22 Apr 2011, 14:38 (Ref:2868163)   #20
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
However, if Pirelli can manufacture tyres "for the show" as they do now. Whats stopping them from developing a tyre with a huge slip angle in mind?
Even if Pirelli could do that, I suspect that the teams would find a way around it. In much the same way that they are already looking at car set up to minimize tyre wear. I think that the way things are already with Pirelli's tyres, we are seeing much more movement in the cars on the track.

However, none of this has much to do with DRS perhaps being disabled for Monaco.
Old 22 Apr 2011, 15:09 (Ref:2868171)   #21
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Ban it through practice, fine, but allow it from Portier through to Novello Chicane.
Ditto. But forbid it 100m prior to the regular braking spot.
Old 22 Apr 2011, 15:27 (Ref:2868180)   #22
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Ditto. But forbid it 100m prior to the regular braking spot.
This would seem like the obvious answer, but far too simple a solution to be used I suspect. Driver safety is always paramount, but lets be honest, the chances of a driver dying on track these days is pretty slim. There are a lot of other series out there where the drivers/riders take far more risks on a regular basis than F1.

Ok so if DRS is allowed at Monaco we might see a few people go into the barriers, big deal. This is racing and its part of the risk the drivers take, they know the risks when they started racing.
Old 22 Apr 2011, 16:36 (Ref:2868210)   #23
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
This is daft, it's got to be allowed at all races, particularly the ones where you can't overtake!!!!

Mind you it might not make any difference to Pastor Maldonado.
Old 22 Apr 2011, 21:01 (Ref:2868361)   #24
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I admit it does seem daft to develop DRS and then ban it for one of the circuits.

That said I don't think it will have much effect at Monaco. I am guessing, the place they would have installed it, would have been on the tunnel straight before the harbour? But, doubtful it would have been of much use. The only thing that might spice up Monaco this year(apart from rain) could be the tyres.
Old 23 Apr 2011, 11:48 (Ref:2868561)   #25
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
I fail to see the issue with DRS in Monaco. In the past turbo-engines and active suspensions (including its stall device) were used in Monaco. Why would DRS suddenly cause a safety issue.