Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 29 May 2000, 19:55 (Ref:14611)   #1
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've decided that I've got to go to the Festival of Speed this year because it was 1996 the last time I went. Who's going and if you're going which days are you there for?
Old 5 Jun 2000, 21:02 (Ref:15707)   #2
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought this subject needed moving back up to the top of the forum (and it's also an excuse to make my first post on the new look forums) Me and Craig have got our Goodwood tickets booked
Old 5 Jun 2000, 21:20 (Ref:15713)   #3
Carrie
Veteran

I ignore anyone who calls me Cazzer
Old 18 Jun 2000, 19:30 (Ref:17798)   #4
Carrie
Veteran

Sadly I won't be able to go to the Goodwood Festival But I hope everyone who is going has a fantastic time there.
Just make sure you pop back here after next weekend and tell us all about it
Old 25 Jun 2000, 20:18 (Ref:19430)   #5
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
What an amazing day out - simply wonderful!

The list of names driving was like a roll call of all the stars of the sport in the past 40 years! Star of the show had to be John Surtees who went up in pretty much every category - whether on two or four wheels - with a HUGE grin on his face.

Arse of the day was definately Mike Gascoigne who proceeded to stuff the Jordan into the straw bales after plonking his right foot down a bit hard at the start line! Oooops! This was almost equalled by Johnny Dumfries in a wonderful 1988 Jaguar XJR9-LM who very narrowly missed a head on with a tree and took several huge bales of straw with him into the local countryside.

Who else did we have ? As I say John Surtees, but also Barry Sheene, Alan Jones, Damon Hill, Johnny Herbert (HUGE wheelspins and doughnuts...), Jenson Button, Martin Brundle (nutter!), Emmerson Fittipaldi, Jean Alesi, John Watson (oaf!), Rene Arnoux, David Brabham, Richard Burns, Armin Schwarz, Henri Pescarolo, Derek and Justin Bell, Jacky Ickx, Dan Gurney, Danny Sullivan, and LOADS more. Oh, and the red arrows too

I have no doubt that the festival will continue in the future - it must. If they allow rallying, then this is nothing. What happened to John Dawson-Damer, and the two marshalls, is a huge tragedy, but this must be allowed to continue.

Talking of the two marshalls, we were told by the guy behind the bar that he had heard both had died overnight - but we've been unable to confirm this - does anyone know ? It really put a damper on an otherwise amazing weekend.
Old 27 Jun 2000, 08:36 (Ref:19769)   #6
SJ Spode
Veteran

SJ Spode should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having visited the Festival of Speed at Goodwood for the last 4 years, it would be a great shame if the event was to be cancelled in the future.

I think that additional safety measures such as more straw bales at the top of the course would assist, as they have certainly been effective in the past in stopping errant vehicles, without the need to resort to armco, fencing etc.

I notice this year (for the first time??) that there were bales at the base of The Wall which again is good news.

One option that they could go for IF THEY NEED TO, is to make all the runs demos and not run against the clock, as they already do with the bikes. As it is only a small proportion of the entrants are actually going for a time, it shouldn't detract from the spectator experience.

If it isn't too disrespectful in the light of the tragic circumstances to talk about enjoying the weekend, it was the usual excellent show of famous men and machines. A personal highlight was seeing Fittipaldi in the Lotus 72 as that was my favourite when I was younger, but there are just so many great sights, sounds and smells.

I think it's fair to say that Johnny Herbert definitely enjoyed his birthday. We were stood opposite the paddock exit for his final run and to see him reverse back down the track just so that he could do more doughnuts in the entry to the paddock exit (if you get what I mean)was deifimntely something else. Also apparently the rubber marks he made from his last start were about 90 yards long - but I'm sure that it's given Bridgstone some valuable tyre wear data ???

Anyway here's hoping that a sensible solution can be found for the coming years.
Old 27 Jun 2000, 11:44 (Ref:19798)   #7
SJ Spode
Veteran

SJ Spode should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you look at the following pages (also accessible through the Goodwood website) it gives you the results for each class of car and provides a list of everything that went up the hill, either as a demo or for a time.

http://www.classicdriver.com/goodwood/results.htm

There were also a lot more classic cars from all classes that were static for viewing in the paddock area.

I hope that gives a flavour at least of what was there
Old 27 Jun 2000, 12:18 (Ref:19809)   #8
stefan
Racer

United Kingdom
nr bristol, uk
stefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have some pictures of the event at...

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...1691&a=6924398

Old 27 Jun 2000, 13:03 (Ref:19815)   #9
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Stefan, and welcome to Ten Tenths!

Absolutely amazing pictures! Are you the photographer?
Old 27 Jun 2000, 13:13 (Ref:19816)   #10
stefan
Racer

United Kingdom
nr bristol, uk
stefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes I am. Glad you like them. If you click on album list you can also see some taken at, ahem, Castle Combe.

Cheers
Old 27 Jun 2000, 17:51 (Ref:19858)   #11
Carrie
Veteran

Nice photos Stefan, makes a change to see motorsport photos in B&W. Oh, and welcome along to Ten-tenths and I'll also extend a welcome to SJ Spode, nice to have you along guys
Old 12 Jul 2000, 19:31 (Ref:22827)   #12
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Danielsun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
May be a tad late now, but you know...

http://www.geocities.com/danielsun23/goodwood.html

I also believe that Invader, who has the first of my photo albums (not bad for only having been here for a month, eh?), is scanning just a couple more...
Old 12 Jul 2000, 19:35 (Ref:22828)   #13
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Danielsun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One more...

http://www.geocities.com/danielsun23/goodwood2.html