Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Dec 2005, 14:35 (Ref:1477420)   #1
QuickSilver
Racer

QuickSilver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2006 stories

I am looking forward to a very interesting 2006. Here's just a few snippets:

V8’s, V8’s, V8’s
McLaren – improved reliability? KR 2006 WDC?
Renault – will Alonso be able to defend?
BAR – great pairing, which driver will come out on top? maiden victory?
BMW-Sauber – good pairing. midfield (and improving) throughout 2006?
Toyota – can JT be more consistent? maiden victory?
Ferrari – will they bounce back? will Massa be competitive?
Red Bull – podiums?
Williams – what will Cosworth bring? can Webber realize his potential? Nico?
Backmarkers – Midland, Toro Rosso, Aguri?
Drivers – Davidson, Sato?

Lots to think about.
Old 5 Dec 2005, 14:49 (Ref:1477426)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's early days, but my predictions would be that V8s will result in a slightly slwoer laps, especially at Monza and other power-hungry tracks, and initially lower reliability gradually improving to return to 2005 levels. McLaren's reliability and overall performance is the hardest to gauge, although I expect JPM to be fairly level with Kimi, as he was in the second half of 2005. If the Renault is the best car, Alonso can defend the title, and Fisichella has to be closer to him if he is to save his career.

At BAR I think Jenson will initially be the stronger driver, but Rubens might close him down as the season goes on. They're unlikely to be able to win on raw pace, so the victory may go to whichever driver survives in an atrition-packed race, or gets the right strategy in a changeable-weather race - the odds are perhaps 60/40 in Jenson's favour. Same goes for Toyota really, with Jarno probably the faster driver as a rule.

Williams should have a great start to the season thanks to Cosworth's V8 experience, but may struggle to keep pace as the year goes on. As I've suggested in the Webber thread, Mark has no excuse not to be faster initially, and should get an unassailable points lead (and perhaps a few podiums) before Nico fully hits his stride.

Ferrari should take some genuine wins next year - having other teams on Bridgestones is likely to be to their advantage. I don't really rate Massa, and think that matching Rubens' mediocre 2005 season is a realistic expectation there. He has a lot to do if he's to keep his drive for 2007.

Of the rest, I can see RBR taking as many points as in 2006, perhaps improving as the year goes on, and a podium is possible if luck goes their way. Likewise BMW, although it depends on how the drivers gel and settle. STR should get a few points, while Midland and Super Aguri (if it happens) face a tough year, but can hopefully build on it.
Old 5 Dec 2005, 14:52 (Ref:1477429)   #3
D_Marshall
Racer

Sudan
North West, England
D_Marshall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Torro Rosso could have a great early season running the V10s and solid chassis' but could lose out as the season goes on and other teams improve the power and driveability of the V8s??????
Old 5 Dec 2005, 17:37 (Ref:1477535)   #4
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I definitely do not think that F1 will remain status quo in '06. With all the unknowns that come with the V8, I look for at least one major shuffle of the deck. Whether that entails one team getting shuffled out or a team
(or even two teams) shuffled in remains to be seen. My crystal ball says the Ferrari will be back at, or near, the top, mainly because of the '05 one tyre rule being thrown out for next year. This should alleviate many of their headaches from last year and allow the team to concentrate their vast resources elsewhere. I also believe Williams are in for a tough go in the long haul, but could get off to a fast start as the Cosworth V8 looks promising right out of the box. The big jump could come from RBR after their rather surprising pace in '05, they will be a team to watch.
BMW-Sauber potentially could progress forward as Williams falls back. I look for a close battle between the Japanese teams, with Honda edging out Toyota, mainly because of their drivers. I still think of the Toyota driving duo as the odd couple
Old 5 Dec 2005, 18:34 (Ref:1477579)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Certainly looks interesting, though I suspect we'll talk about Ferrari, Webber and Villeneuve as usual.
Old 5 Dec 2005, 18:52 (Ref:1477592)   #6
QuickSilver
Racer

QuickSilver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
probably true knowlesy ... except for the Ferrari and Webber part
Old 5 Dec 2005, 19:41 (Ref:1477638)   #7
maltafan
Veteran

Malta
obviously, Malta
maltafan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think the V8 thing would be very interesting. I mean, the teams have to start afresh and maybe the difference wetween the top2 and the others will not be so dramatic.
Old 5 Dec 2005, 20:31 (Ref:1477685)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
As always the aero will play the biggest part,don't expect things to be too different.
Old 6 Dec 2005, 04:07 (Ref:1477968)   #9
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i sort of agree with martyn.

The 700hp estimate i believe is a fairly cautious estimate, and come mid year, i'd be surprised if many teams are not already hitting above that.

In terms of grippier tyres due to softer compounds, aero improvement, etc... teams will gain most of the lost back through time...and i don't think TV viewers can see much of the difference without a stopwatch
Old 6 Dec 2005, 12:54 (Ref:1478199)   #10
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jenson tested the V8 the other day and was surprised that turn 3 at Montmeló, the big round corner was "flat" now. He says that because there is even less torque, driving mistakes will be slightly more highlighted. (read it at autosport.com)
Old 6 Dec 2005, 13:13 (Ref:1478220)   #11
Kirk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordi
Jenson tested the V8 the other day and was surprised that turn 3 at Montmeló, the big round corner was "flat" now. He says that because there is even less torque, driving mistakes will be slightly more highlighted. (read it at autosport.com)
I haven't read that article yet but I would think the opposite. Since when would less torque make for more mistakes? If anything it will be the increased vibration of the V8 that will cause the driver some grief.
Old 6 Dec 2005, 14:24 (Ref:1478283)   #12
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
I haven't read that article yet but I would think the opposite. Since when would less torque make for more mistakes? If anything it will be the increased vibration of the V8 that will cause the driver some grief.
If you've ever ridden a 125cc GP bike you will realise that momentum is everything.Those things have no torque to speak of.If you lose speed because you made a mistake by going too fast into a corner for example,it takes an eternity to regain that speed again.Even a missed gear change will see you going backwards very quickly,not likely to happen in F1 though,mores the pity.
Old 6 Dec 2005, 15:07 (Ref:1478299)   #13
dcp2685
Veteran

dcp2685 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Among other stories for 2006, it'll be interesting to see how Scott Speed does compared to Liuzzi. Is he for real?
Old 6 Dec 2005, 16:33 (Ref:1478341)   #14
Kirk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
If you've ever ridden a 125cc GP bike you will realise that momentum is everything.Those things have no torque to speak of.If you lose speed because you made a mistake by going too fast into a corner for example,it takes an eternity to regain that speed again.Even a missed gear change will see you going backwards very quickly,not likely to happen in F1 though,mores the pity.
Yes, I see. With the V8 it will be more difficult to recover after a mistake. What a great time to get rid of those dam driver aids.... and make things really interesting..
Old 6 Dec 2005, 21:38 (Ref:1478539)   #15
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am excited to see how Cosworth fairs. I hope the Williams' chassis is a good one.
I am also hopeful that we'll see JV put in some solid drives as I suspect this will be his last season.
Some wins from the "new" BMW team would be nice as well.
I do not expect too much from Massa in '06 but Rubens at Honda should be interesting.
All in all I am looking forward to '06 with the exception of the de-tuned V10 at STR which is, in my opinion, a waste of grid-space.
Mike

edited to add that I am also looking forward to see how Nico performs against MW. An interesting pairing at Williams I think.