Old 20 Feb 2006, 12:17 (Ref:1526946)   #1
Russ-Turner
Racer

England
Motorsport Valley.
Russ-Turner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Goodwood Festival of Speed.

Hi folks,

Just planning ahead really. Have been going for the last three years and we love it. Should be a few of us going this year, and the plan is to sit in a grandstand on the Saturday and watch the action having a few drinks, camp overnight, then have a wonder around on the Sunday to see all of the stands and mini events etc. The problem is that the nearest camping is four miles away. This will prove troublesome if it's 1) dark and 2) we're hammered. Can anyone tell me if it's possible to camp a stones throw away from the grounds? We are probably only talking a couple of tents and two cars maximum? Thanks in advance, Russ.
Old 20 Feb 2006, 13:16 (Ref:1527004)   #2
Seoigh
Racer

United States
Florida
Seoigh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a related question - aren't vintage cars and attire required throughout the venue...(excluding car parks)?

A solution may be to obtain/rent a late-50's style Vespa for on-site transport?

Sound fun.
Old 20 Feb 2006, 13:22 (Ref:1527011)   #3
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mid Beds, "The UK's rubbish dump"
spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seoigh- Your thinking of the revival meeting in september.

There must be some camping facilities nearby. Cant see you being allowed to camp in the grounds on security reasons.
Old 20 Feb 2006, 15:28 (Ref:1527096)   #4
Seoigh
Racer

United States
Florida
Seoigh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanner
Seoigh- Your thinking of the revival meeting in september.

There must be some camping facilities nearby. Cant see you being allowed to camp in the grounds on security reasons.
Mea Culpa...'case of 'tunnel vision' here...we salivate at videos of Lord March's big fete' ,and find it too easy to forget that there are other events held there throughout the year.

Thanks.
Old 7 Jun 2006, 19:14 (Ref:1629439)   #5
Owain Shaw
Rookie

Owain Shaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On this day next month the Festival of Speed will begin. Just thought I'd bring this thread back up to see if anyone is going.

I have tickets for all three days but am still unsure about transport and accomadation.

I'll likely spend most of the three days in the paddocks with my camera (and hopefully a new wide-angle lens by then) with a walk through the rally stage as well as the various shops and stalls at some point.
Old 7 Jun 2006, 19:30 (Ref:1629452)   #6
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
You cannot camp in the grounds unless the rules have changed (which I doubt.) I remember camping in the car park of the Chichester Sainsburys a few years ago!
Old 7 Jun 2006, 20:10 (Ref:1629480)   #7
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm doing the Friday for the paddocks, assuming it's not as crowded as last year, and the rally stage. Sunday we have grandstand tickets so will be close to the track for shooting the runs.

Highlight of the year
Old 8 Jun 2006, 10:11 (Ref:1629842)   #8
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Gerben24 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It will be my first time this year. Never been to Goodwood, so dont know what to expect. We were unable to score any grandstand tickets. Looking forward to it!
Old 8 Jun 2006, 20:17 (Ref:1630185)   #9
Owain Shaw
Rookie

Owain Shaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerben24
It will be my first time this year. Never been to Goodwood, so dont know what to expect. We were unable to score any grandstand tickets. Looking forward to it!
You'll still get to see what, for me, makes Goodwood so special, the paddocks. I have barely been near the hill in three years ...
Old 9 Jun 2006, 10:43 (Ref:1630531)   #10
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I might go as work won't give me the time off now to go to the DTM....can't go without motor-racing for that long!
Old 12 Jun 2006, 23:36 (Ref:1633049)   #11
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd love to go to the Festival but don't think I can afford to fork out for tickets and there doesn't seem to be any promotions like there was last year. Never mind, looks like I'm missing out this year.
Old 13 Jun 2006, 06:15 (Ref:1633147)   #12
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
For someone that's supposed to have weekends off...they're now trying to make me work for FoS too! Which means missing that and DTM....

I want to go!
Old 13 Jun 2006, 09:09 (Ref:1633254)   #13
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I thought one of the national papers (Daily Telegraph?) were giving away free tickets for the Friday as they did last year?

Have you tried either the Goodwood website for camp sites or tried calling them for help and information?
Old 13 Jun 2006, 09:26 (Ref:1633271)   #14
Suze
Veteran

England
I had a look at the prices earlier and was £45 for the Sunday for GA...
Old 13 Jun 2006, 12:29 (Ref:1633443)   #15
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerben24
I agree with Owain - you don't need grandstand tickets at all! The paddock, all the good spectator vantage points, the rally stage (which I am told is even larger this year) , the Concourse d'Elegance... Too much to see - you can sit on your butt any other time of the year
Old 13 Jun 2006, 14:38 (Ref:1633560)   #16
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green
I thought one of the national papers (Daily Telegraph?) were giving away free tickets for the Friday as they did last year?

Have you tried either the Goodwood website for camp sites or tried calling them for help and information?
Bah if they are I bet I've missed the opportunity!

I'll have a butchers at the goodwood site, I wanted to go on the Friday really.

Edit: Well i can't find any papers offering tickets but entry on friday is only £22

Last edited by chezza; 13 Jun 2006 at 14:47.
Old 17 Jun 2006, 10:14 (Ref:1636216)   #17
Racer_kyle
Racer

Northern Ireland
Edinburgh
Racer_kyle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
You cannot camp in the grounds unless the rules have changed (which I doubt.) I remember camping in the car park of the Chichester Sainsburys a few years ago!

There is a campsite at one of the carparks... it's the one at the Petworth end.

However it's some ridiculous price like £70 per tent per night.

We're camping in Arundel this year as far as I know. Have done Travelodge's the last 4 years, but they're just a tad too expensive, considering we have to fly from Belfast to Gatwick, hire a car, and pay the horribly large prices for food within Goodwood itself :P

On a plus side, I really can't wait for the Festival this year! Got my photo taken alongside Alonso last year-best moment of my life by a long stretch. (check my public profile)

The advantage of going for all three days is that you don't mind spending perhaps an hour or two queuing up to see someone like Alonso. This year I desperately wanna see Mika hakkinen! Also I wouldn't mind seeing murray walker! My dad has seen him 3 years in a row and I've yet to spot him!!

All in all it promises to be a superb weekend, with things like an even bigger rally stage, and the Bugatti Veyron!! *drools*

I also can't wait to see this year's statue-last years was unbelieveable!

Would be great to see some blistering weather - it really makes Goodwood what it is. Can't imagine it being a washout!

The only slight complaint I have is that the Sunday is the day of the WC final. Oh well, looks like motorsport wins one over football for me
Old 18 Jun 2006, 07:00 (Ref:1636564)   #18
rescue dude
Veteran

England
rescue dude is a back marker
I'll be there handing out the marshal's radio's as normal (see you there Steve)

If you havent been before it really is petrol-head heaven.
Old 21 Jun 2006, 22:17 (Ref:1638687)   #19
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will be there as well.......With caravan and large awning somewhere in the marshals campsite at the top of the hill..

Just look for Mr Green and we wont be far away as he likes to store his wine and milk in the cool confines of our awning or in the fridge if possible...Feel free to pop by and say hello..

According to the finals showers and security have been improved even further this year so all we need now is the weather to play ball and it will be just fine and dandy..

Last edited by blackx; 21 Jun 2006 at 22:20.
Old 22 Jun 2006, 06:32 (Ref:1638813)   #20
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Glad you offered the use of the fridge again old bean
Old 22 Jun 2006, 07:12 (Ref:1638821)   #21
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
Well the times ran a promotion last weekend giving away tickets and a 20 page guide, I was most disapointed when I opened up my copy to find this guide and my chance of getting tickets was missing. As it is I'm working on the Friday now and think Saturday and Sunday will be far to busy for my liking.
Old 22 Jun 2006, 07:38 (Ref:1638830)   #22
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
The guide just had a link to the website where you could register for a pair of free tickets.

www.timesonline.co.uk/fos

But don't both as they are all gone now.
Old 22 Jun 2006, 09:22 (Ref:1638887)   #23
Suze
Veteran

England
If work rota works out, may go. But too much hassle trying to make it work out atm!

Would be great to be there...not been before.
Old 22 Jun 2006, 17:23 (Ref:1639246)   #24
mark ch
Racer

United Kingdom
Shepshed
mark ch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see I have the fortune to have Mr Green as my IO on post 1, Is the duck quacker charged and ready?

What's the campsite like, I missed last years festival, how does it compare to previous site, flat, loos/showers same, is it walkable in morning if missed the minibus
Old 22 Jun 2006, 18:08 (Ref:1639268)   #25
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Hi Mark, duck whistle at the ready. If the campsite is at the top of the hill then it's a bus ride down in the morning. Your turn for the ice creams me thinks