Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 25 Oct 2008, 09:11 (Ref:2320421)   #51
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think women in motorsport is exremely important. We need them to get the stubbies and make the salad and butter the bread. They can clean the bbq at the end as well.
Old 25 Oct 2008, 09:23 (Ref:2320431)   #52
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bigtime
I think women in motorsport is exremely important. We need them to get the stubbies and make the salad and butter the bread. They can clean the bbq at the end as well.
If you're married, I hope your wife doesn't read this forum. You would be one dead man!
Old 25 Oct 2008, 09:57 (Ref:2320450)   #53
Rombles1
Veteran

Australia
Facebook
Rombles1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher
Yes you probably can, but can you give us the same long list of women that have won championships, no you cant, which is what we are talking about.
Can you provide a list of championships significant enough to qualify for whatever you have deemed the topic to be (as is your right as the thread starter)? Would the Australian F3 Championship count, or is that not a "major" championship? Leanne Tander lost that last year by a total of one point. If you really think that her gender was responsible for that one point deficit, then there is no point arguing with you (see my signature).

Would you argue that women should be excluded from racing as they cannot possibly win the championship, and therefore are depriving a drive from a man who could win it?

Just because something has not happened in the past does not mean it cannot happen in the future.
Old 25 Oct 2008, 11:00 (Ref:2320475)   #54
Dasher
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
Dasher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rombles1
Can you provide a list of championships significant enough to qualify for whatever you have deemed the topic to be (as is your right as the thread starter)? Would the Australian F3 Championship count, or is that not a "major" championship? Leanne Tander lost that last year by a total of one point. If you really think that her gender was responsible for that one point deficit, then there is no point arguing with you (see my signature).

Would you argue that women should be excluded from racing as they cannot possibly win the championship, and therefore are depriving a drive from a man who could win it?

Just because something has not happened in the past does not mean it cannot happen in the future.
As i have said before, Leanne is probably the best female going around in Australia at the moment & Australian F3 would certainly be included as a major championship along with F1,Nascar,Indy/Champ cars,Euro F3,Indy Lights,BTCC,Formula Ford,Australian V8's or Fujitsu's etc etc.

She lost that championship by one point and did a bloody good job to be in that position but the point is that she did lose and that her gender might have contributed,only she would know that.

I have never said that any female should be excluded from racing but you may be right about excluding a male that could possibly win it.

Given that all is equal in terms of equipment at the start of a race,females have as much chance as males when they step into the seat and maybe more chance than even some of the males but for whatever reason they nearly always find a way to lose it.

You may indicate that i am a moron but can you tell me why it has never happened anywhere in any country in 100 years then?

Last edited by Dasher; 25 Oct 2008 at 11:05.
Old 25 Oct 2008, 15:47 (Ref:2320615)   #55
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

You may indicate that i am a moron but can you tell me why it has never happened anywhere in any country in 100 years then?
I guess you could use the same argument for the lack of black,yellow or brown male winners?
Old 25 Oct 2008, 15:56 (Ref:2320623)   #56
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The US Military, and the Marines in particular, are very happy with their female F18 fighterpilots. They have bodies better suited to high G´s, as they tend to be more compact, less way between brain and heart.

And they do very well, thank you. So saying that unless a female driver wins a major championship, they are rubbish, does not make sense to me. There are lots of male drivers, not winning anything either. And no one picks on them ?
Old 25 Oct 2008, 16:30 (Ref:2320639)   #57
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
In a state of total confusion.
bestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
During the 1980's Doug Chivas and Margaret Halliday won multiple Australian Sidecar Titles. For several years the pair were virtually unbeatable.
And she looked great going over Skyline as well.

Old 25 Oct 2008, 16:34 (Ref:2320640)   #58
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'l drink to that.
Old 26 Oct 2008, 00:39 (Ref:2320851)   #59
Nero
Racer

Nero should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What does a driver need really?
A good, but not olympic level of person fitness.
Good reflexes
Good decision making ability
Experience

Strength?...well none of our current drivers look strong in terms of footballers or athletes. LT looks like she could be fitter, but then I only see her in race suit and have no desire to see her in less.
Experience...not many women get the chance due perhaps due to prejudice at times, mind you this also happens for male drivers.
Old 26 Oct 2008, 01:36 (Ref:2320859)   #60
Rombles1
Veteran

Australia
Facebook
Statistically there would be only a certain proportion of male racing drivers who have won major championships. It would be interesting to see how that percentage compares with the percentage of female competitors.

If there are 20 competitors in a championship, and one winner, that is 5% of competitors who can win in any one year. If that was the average, then allowing for multiple winners, less than 5% of racers win major championships. If there are more than 20 competitors, then it is even less than 5%.

What percentage of competitors in major championships are female? It would also be less than 5%.... I'd be surprised if it was more than the total percentage of competitors that win the same major championships. There are none in V8SC, none in NASCAR, none in F1. A couple in IRL, and there are a few others, but not many. Statistically, what does that tell us? Maybe only that a competitor in a major championship is more likely to win it than to be a female. Even at the extreme top end of the potential statistics, lets say that 5% of competitors win the championship, and 5% are female. This means that the chances of a female winning are 5% of 5%, which is only 0.25%. Historically, the female proportion of racers in major series would be far less than that. There may (possibly) be more now, but if we are looking at why it hasn't happened in the past, then this is relevant. If the stats are actually only between 2% and 3% for both factors, that gives only a 0.04-0.09% chance, statistically, of a female winning a major championship. Hasn't happened yet, but one day it could.

Last edited by Rombles1; 26 Oct 2008 at 01:38.
Old 26 Oct 2008, 08:42 (Ref:2320940)   #61
Dasher
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
Firstly to Rob29, do you mean by Black (negro / African - American),Yellow (Asian),Brown (West Indian)?, well if you do ,we are about to have a West Indian as F1 World Champion, we haven't had too many black (negro) racing drivers at all they seem to do much better at golf,tennis,basketball,athletics and the like, but there has been a number of yellow (Asian) drivers that have won championships but mostly in asia (funny that).

To Bestfit, it doesn't really count being a passenger.

To Aslak Vind, great but why hasn't it ever transferred into a motor racing championship.

To Nero, you're exactly right,but why hasn't it ever transferred into a motor racing championship.

To Rombles, Forget your stats they mean nothing except as below,
If any female is a competitor in any championship they have as much chance to win as any of the males around her in a class of 20 they all have a 5% chance of winning at the start, I agree that the chances of a male winning are far greater than a single female on a male to female basis.

But what i mean is on the ability & talent percentages the female may have a greater percentage of winning in her favor than the males, BUT they never have. WHY, this is the question ?
Old 26 Oct 2008, 08:48 (Ref:2320945)   #62
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should offer Leanne a drive in CommCup next weekend and see if she beats the regular blokes. I reckon she could give them all a very big scare....
Old 26 Oct 2008, 09:19 (Ref:2320967)   #63
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Quote:
To Aslak Vind, great but why hasn't it ever transferred into a motor racing championship.
Because as a fighterjock, you dont need 5 million DKK to get to fly..
Old 26 Oct 2008, 10:07 (Ref:2320990)   #64
Dasher
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfacors
Should offer Leanne a drive in CommCup next weekend and see if she beats the regular blokes. I reckon she could give them all a very big scare....
She definitely would go better than some, that all very well and good but it still dosent answer the original question.
Old 26 Oct 2008, 10:10 (Ref:2320992)   #65
Dasher
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslak Vind
Because as a fighterjock, you dont need 5 million DKK to get to fly..
Doesn't answer the question, if they are particularly suited to going fast why cant they go fast in a race car often enough to win a championship.
Old 26 Oct 2008, 11:12 (Ref:2321014)   #66
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
bestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
To Bestfit, it doesn't really count being a passenger.
Why not? It is not as if they sit at the back and watch the scenery go by.
The monkey (passenger) is every bit as important as the driver in a top class racing outfit and no driver will ever win a championship without a 1st class monkey. Chivas / Halliday won several.

I'm struggling to see the point of this discussion.
Drag racing doesn't count.
Rallying doesn't count.
Sidecars don't count.

I don't think you are looking for an answer to your original question, you've already decided that. It seems you are just looking for someone to agree with you.
Old 26 Oct 2008, 12:15 (Ref:2321049)   #67
Dasher
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestfit
Why not? It is not as if they sit at the back and watch the scenery go by.
The monkey (passenger) is every bit as important as the driver in a top class racing outfit and no driver will ever win a championship without a 1st class monkey. Chivas / Halliday won several.

I'm struggling to see the point of this discussion.
Drag racing doesn't count.
Rallying doesn't count.
Sidecars don't count.

I don't think you are looking for an answer to your original question, you've already decided that. It seems you are just looking for someone to agree with you.
No doubt that the monkey is very important to the outfit and they work very hard at it,you answered your own question by saying "no driver will ever win a championship without a 1st class monkey", the monkey is not the driver.

However if you don't see the point of this discussion then don't read it and don't respond to it.

Nobody has yet been able to give a definitive answer to why except to go down the coulda,woulda,shoulda line.

How hard is it for you to understand what a motor racing championship is?

Its not bikes,its not drag racing,its not rallying, its single driver,four wheels on a track designed for circuit racing.

I concede that there has been some exceptionally talented females over the years and some have won some important races but never a championship of note, WHY?

I haven't answered it, i have only given my opinion like you have.
Old 26 Oct 2008, 12:41 (Ref:2321063)   #68
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
Quote:

Its not bikes,its not drag racing,its not rallying, its single driver,four wheels on a track designed for circuit racing.
I understand perfectly what a motor racing championship is. But my definition would include all of the above and many other forms of motorsports.
Old 26 Oct 2008, 12:47 (Ref:2321068)   #69
Rombles1
Veteran

Australia
Facebook
Quote:
No doubt that the monkey is very important to the outfit and they work very hard at it,you answered your own question by saying "no driver will ever win a championship without a 1st class monkey", the monkey is not the driver.

However if you don't see the point of this discussion then don't read it and don't respond to it.

Nobody has yet been able to give a definitive answer to why except to go down the coulda,woulda,shoulda line.

I concede that there has been some exceptionally talented females over the years and some have won some important races but never a championship of note, WHY?

I haven't answered it, i have only given my opinion like you have.
Are you just hoping that someone else will say that the definitive answer is because women don't have balls?

Sounds like a load of ******** to me.
Old 26 Oct 2008, 19:05 (Ref:2321221)   #70
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Quote:
Doesn't answer the question, if they are particularly suited to going fast why cant they go fast in a race car often enough to win a championship.
You are aware of the fact, that there is more to it than skill??
Old 26 Oct 2008, 20:07 (Ref:2321264)   #71
Dasher
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rombles1
Are you just hoping that someone else will say that the definitive answer is because women don't have balls?

Sounds like a load of ******** to me.
Rombles1, if you had a look earlier in the discussion I have already said it.

And that isn't the entire answer either, as some female drivers i know have bigger ones than some of the blokes (so to speak).
Old 26 Oct 2008, 20:11 (Ref:2321267)   #72
Dasher
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslak Vind
You are aware of the fact, that there is more to it than skill??
Maybe I am not.

Tell us more,don't keep it to yourself,what else is there?
Old 26 Oct 2008, 20:41 (Ref:2321285)   #73
cappra250
Rookie

cappra250 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the spanish F3 championship there is girl called Natacha Gaghnang who is leading the Cup with just 2 races to finish and also has mathematical options of winning the scratch classification.
Faster than the former Renault Driver Development program Nelson Panciatici, sometimes faster than the Red Bull driver and BF3 champion Jaime Alguersuari.
She is far away better than the average male drivers.
Old 27 Oct 2008, 02:05 (Ref:2321452)   #74
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's wait til the Spanish Series is over and if she wins, then the debate is concluded
Old 27 Oct 2008, 21:19 (Ref:2322113)   #75
Dasher
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappra250
In the spanish F3 championship there is girl called Natacha Gaghnang who is leading the Cup with just 2 races to finish and also has mathematical options of winning the scratch classification.
Faster than the former Renault Driver Development program Nelson Panciatici, sometimes faster than the Red Bull driver and BF3 champion Jaime Alguersuari.
She is far away better than the average male drivers.
If Natacha wins this series she will become the first female ever to do it in any championship in the world & good luck to her.

Interestingly enough,she races in the Spanish F3 "Cup" class which is like the National class in the Aussie F3 series and is in contention for an outright series win as well.

She must be an outstanding talent and not half bad on the eye either.