Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 3 Feb 2009, 22:01 (Ref:2387732)   #26
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's motor racing, and then there's drag racing.

This news doesn't surprise me one bit.

"Straights are for fast cars, curves are for fast drivers"

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 3 Feb 2009, 23:12 (Ref:2387789)   #27
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Racer
i thought it very odd that he shut his team down out of the blue.

Was there any truth to a story about fisty-cuffs between an executive from Jack Daniels and Brett and then someone from Makita and Brett or one of Brett's crew which led to both sponsors departing at the end of 2008??

This may have been kept out of the media but came from someone very close to the team.
Old 4 Feb 2009, 03:10 (Ref:2387878)   #28
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think ANDRA will suffer much from this event, only the same way that the Lukemia Foundation will?

Nothing compared to how they are and have been suffering for a long time due to it not being a National Sport (at the highest Group One Level)!
Old 4 Feb 2009, 03:24 (Ref:2387884)   #29
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It!
Was there any truth to a story about fisty-cuffs between an executive from Jack Daniels and Brett and then someone from Makita and Brett or one of Brett's crew which led to both sponsors departing at the end of 2008??

This may have been kept out of the media but came from someone very close to the team.
Judging by the level of equipment in the shed... did they really need any commercial sponsorship?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 4 Feb 2009, 04:48 (Ref:2387897)   #30
Rick Martin
Rookie

Australia
South Australia, Australia
Rick Martin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
exactly but given how much of a face of the drag racing game he was he has given the whole drag racing community a bad name.
Yes this is very true, like most things it only takes one to ruin it, or atleast make a sport look negative through there actions outside the sport.
Old 4 Feb 2009, 05:08 (Ref:2387899)   #31
bazil
Veteran

bazil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmdog
I don't think ANDRA will suffer much from this event, only the same way that the Lukemia Foundation will?

Nothing compared to how they are and have been suffering for a long time due to it not being a National Sport (at the highest Group One Level)!
Drag racing in OZ is run like a hillbilly carnival by an absolute peanut administrator in Adelaide that plays lapdog to 2 track promoters who think "they own the sport." The image damage caused by this debacle will be minimal largely due to the obscurity of drag racing to main stream Aussies.

That said Brett Stevens appears to have had a shocker and if the allegations are proved, should hang his head in shame.
Old 4 Feb 2009, 05:09 (Ref:2387900)   #32
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It!

i remember reading about him having a blue with a bloke i think at WSID but didn't know who.
Old 4 Feb 2009, 05:23 (Ref:2387904)   #33
Rick Martin
Rookie

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazil
That said Brett Stevens appears to have had a shocker and if the allegations are proved, should hang his head in shame.
That is a good point, if the allegations are proved or if he is formally charged with the crimes. As the way I understand it, he is under investigation etc or has he been directly charged and linked with all this?
Old 4 Feb 2009, 05:35 (Ref:2387907)   #34
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Martin
That is a good point, if the allegations are proved or if he is formally charged with the crimes. As the way I understand it, he is under investigation etc or has he been directly charged and linked with all this?
Linky
Old 4 Feb 2009, 05:41 (Ref:2387910)   #35
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
i remember reading about him having a blue with a bloke i think at WSID but didn't know who.
I think it was one of the pit crew from Victor Bray's team.
Old 4 Feb 2009, 05:48 (Ref:2387913)   #36
Rick Martin
Rookie

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle
Okay, thanks mate, he is toast.
Old 4 Feb 2009, 06:24 (Ref:2387921)   #37
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is worth reminding everyone that Brett has been charged but like all Australians is innocent until proven otherwise in a court of law.
Brett was at Calder recently and it was clear that there was plenty on his mind.
Having said that he was as usual great with the fans and despite retiring was only too happy to do an interview with us.
That interview will be on In Pit Lane in about two weeks. (Lawyers permitting)
On those rumours if they are true than I'm afraid that Brett won't be the only Drag Racer in strife.
Oh and don't be too high and mighty about circuit racing either, I'm sure many of us are aware of the stories surrounding a leading V8 Supercar figure.
Old 4 Feb 2009, 06:53 (Ref:2387925)   #38
platinum motors
Rookie

Australia
Perth, WA
platinum motors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by inpitlane
Oh and don't be too high and mighty about circuit racing either, I'm sure many of us are aware of the stories surrounding a leading V8 Supercar figure.
Now you got me interested, Care to name names.

A pm will be gladly accepted

Cheers

Neil
Old 4 Feb 2009, 07:25 (Ref:2387931)   #39
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Same.

PM me aswell if you don't care to name them on the forum
Old 4 Feb 2009, 08:28 (Ref:2387964)   #40
bazil
Veteran

Quote:
And this remark is aimed at??? Perhaps you would like to back up your comments instead of offering innuendo?? As for Brett I happen to know and like him but as I said in my post if its true then he will have to face up to the shame of it.

Where drag racing is concerned, there are many very good people in the sport that give their all, its just a shame its run by Captain Kaos, Puppet boy and the Western spaghetti cowboy...
Old 4 Feb 2009, 08:29 (Ref:2387965)   #41
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
xrystl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That particular Drag racing team was well known to be very close to an outlaw biker gang going back many years (since 1992 that I know of) - maybe unrelated !!
Old 4 Feb 2009, 08:34 (Ref:2387968)   #42
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Where drag racing is concerned, there are many very good people in the sport that give their all, its just a shame its run by Captain Kaos, Puppet boy and the Western spaghetti cowboy...
It does beg the question about how much money the patron car-owners are ploughing into the sport for very little (no?) return in terms of prizemoney or appearance fees....

The plan to build a structured franchise system with a series overlord in a similar dimension to VESA made a lot of sense... but it seems the patron car-owners couldnt take the leap of faith to improve their lot as a group...

The costs to run these cars is enormous... thousands of dollars on engine rebuilds, fuel, tyres, maintenance, repack the chute etc etc after every single run... its certainly not a poor man's sport....
Old 4 Feb 2009, 09:00 (Ref:2387979)   #43
petebendon
Rookie

petebendon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Others have mentioned Romeo Capitanio and doesnt take much to find out about him...............http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...11-662,00.html

With him and the new situation you think andra might come out with something tougher than this............http://www.andra.com.au/article.asp?Id=1602........... Very very lame so maybe Bazil is right about hillbilly carnivals and peanut administrators in drag racing, makes CAMS look good!!!!!

How bout this line “Major sports with thousands of competitors and fans across the country such as ours face similar controversial situations all the time......."..........dont think I saw Ben Cousins or Wayne Carey with $1,000,000 cash, 11 racecars and four B-doubles!

Last edited by petebendon; 4 Feb 2009 at 09:04.
Old 4 Feb 2009, 09:03 (Ref:2387981)   #44
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by petebendon
Others have mentioned Romeo Capitanio and doesnt take much to find out about him...............http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...11-662,00.html

With him and the new situation you think andra might come out with something tougher than this............http://www.andra.com.au/article.asp?Id=1602

Very very lame so maybe Bazil is right about hillbilly carnivals and peanut administrators
How do you "not condone" activities that may not have occurred?
Old 4 Feb 2009, 09:18 (Ref:2387992)   #45
bazil
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by petebendon
How bout this line “Major sports with thousands of competitors and fans across the country such as ours face similar controversial situations all the time......."
I rest my case. Tony Thornton, the stand out favourite for worst sporting administrator of (as Ali would say) "ALLLLL TIMMMME" Peanut administration and novice media savvy at its worst....
Old 4 Feb 2009, 10:50 (Ref:2388051)   #46
Rachel Richards
Racer

Wake Island
In a small house by the sea
Rachel Richards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Drag racing in OZ is run like a hillbilly carnival by an absolute peanut administrator in Adelaide that plays lapdog to 2 track promoters who think "they own the sport." The image damage caused by this debacle will be minimal largely due to the obscurity of drag racing to main stream Aussies.

Bazil, never ever a better description of three people, possibly in the history of the world...

And before the ANDRA zealots start to gripe, maybe, just maybe there is some reasoning as to why Bob Jane has distanced himself from these three.

Last edited by Rachel Richards; 4 Feb 2009 at 10:52.
Old 4 Feb 2009, 11:47 (Ref:2388084)   #47
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know alot of racers who stood by ANDRA when 'Straight Line Events' made an offer are now regreting this DRDF, as there has been no real change or growth to Drag Racing.

Is Straight Line still around? Bazil.........?
Old 4 Feb 2009, 11:50 (Ref:2388089)   #48
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY
Same.

PM me aswell if you don't care to name them on the forum
add me to the list too it's got me curious.
Old 4 Feb 2009, 12:01 (Ref:2388096)   #49
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
so pm me with the sorid details,
Old 4 Feb 2009, 13:35 (Ref:2388157)   #50
red_hsv
Rookie

Australia
red_hsv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
pm me too....ive been pretty quiet due to work commitments but still try to keep my ear to the ground of all things V8