Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 6 Feb 2009, 12:25 (Ref:2389736)   #76
Downoz
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Downoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=mayhem]I like this post better baz. I see there are only 16 Top Fuelers turning up for events in the US at the moment (not full fields) mainly due to the economic downturn. Sad but understandable.

]
Mate obviously you know a lot about drag racing, 16 is a full field, and there are 21 entered for this weekend meeting.
Old 6 Feb 2009, 12:33 (Ref:2389743)   #77
jimmycourier
Racer

jimmycourier should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazil
The crowds have always been an indicator of the enormous potential the sport has in spite of the poor management. New sponsors? Who? They have not had a series sponsor since the siggy days. And the Saturday lunchtime TV coverage sometimes 6 weeks after an event,

Stop it, ya killin me...

Enzed, Fuchs, Shannons Insurance, Rare Spares. I would say there are quite a few sponsors that have jumped on board Andra this year.
Old 6 Feb 2009, 20:34 (Ref:2389990)   #78
petebendon
Rookie

petebendon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycourier
Enzed, Fuchs, Shannons Insurance, Rare Spares. I would say there are quite a few sponsors that have jumped on board Andra this year.
what my drag friends are telling me is there is no naming rights sponsor and theyre not seeing the little "new" sponsor cash flow down inspite of paying the ANDRA development fund.

Seems all the "new" sponsors are only putting money into the three amigo promoters who are the ones getting rich off all the racers (groups 2 3 4) paying for the group 1 tv.

Im told the tracks used to pay for the tv now they only pay 1/4 -- the development fund (payed by all racers) pays the rest so better bottom line.

Plus higher entry fees $$, more $ for fans at the gate and no more prize money for 15 years means better bottom line for the three amigos and worse off for the racers -- and theyre not happy Jan!

bazil I gather theres a big trouble brewing in little Adelaide
Old 6 Feb 2009, 21:48 (Ref:2390023)   #79
petebendon
Rookie

amazing what googling will find -- found below quote over at weekend riders forum -- http://www.weekendriders.net/index.p...4&st=0&start=0

and this quote is from DECEMBER 14 just FOUR DAYS AFTER his retirement announcement.....................

seems some new what was going on

Quote:
Lucky

View Member Profile

ipsmenu.register( "post-member-5849652", '', 'popmenubutton-new', 'popmenubutton-new-out' ); Dec 14 2008, 09:45 AM
Post #6

Site Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 113
Your Bike: 01R1 Streetfighter ~ 2003 R6 Track Bike

We will miss him on the track

I bet his sponsors are Ecstatic that he did so well

He was always willing to Smoke those tyres

He must have made a huge Pot of money from his racing career

Perhaps he will be enjoying other beverages from behind different Bars for a while
Old 6 Feb 2009, 22:19 (Ref:2390035)   #80
jimmycourier
Racer

Regardless of where the money goes ( and I do agree with your friend Petebendon). Automotive companies are now seeing Drag Racing as an affordable alternative to the Super Circus. Its the first season with the DRDF, so sure, they may not be seeing the flow on just yet, but atleast give it another 12 months. Work has been going on behind the scenes in getting a naming rights sponsor for the Group 1's, this latest situation with BSR will definately effect the confidence of the companies that would have been looking into it. So it probaby puts ANDRA 2 steps back. Or even further.
Old 6 Feb 2009, 22:39 (Ref:2390045)   #81
petebendon
Rookie

Quote:
Regardless of where the money goes ( and I do agree with your friend Petebendon). Automotive companies are now seeing Drag Racing as an affordable alternative to the Super Circus.
theres no rush of sponsors and talk to all the lower racers of "regardless of where the monety goes".............

Quote:
Its the first season with the DRDF, so sure, they may not be seeing the flow on just yet, but atleast give it another 12 months.
I'm told its not, its been going on 2 years. AND all theyve seen is 99% group 1 tv for the money............. almost $2,000,000 for g1 tv..............how much have the new sponsors put in?????

Quote:
Work has been going on behind the scenes in getting a naming rights sponsor for the Group 1's, this latest situation with BSR will definately effect the confidence of the companies that would have been looking into it. So it probaby puts ANDRA 2 steps back. Or even further.
work going on behind the scenes to get a sponsor????? -- tell them somethink different EVERYONES working behind the scenes to get sponsors in EVERY sport.

i googled and found old news that ANDRA said fund was for 2 years --- if that goes -$1,000,000 a year, financial crisis, drug dramas, bad reputation, bad management, ANDRA will have to drop its dacks or struggle.........

Last edited by petebendon; 6 Feb 2009 at 22:43.
Old 7 Feb 2009, 00:07 (Ref:2390079)   #82
jimmycourier
Racer

Sorry, I meant its been going for one season full season, its into its second season I believe.

So DRAG LTD have introduced 5-6 new sponsors into ANDRA in the last two years. Companies that haven't been involved with ANDRA previously. Thats my argument. Not whether there are companies knocking down there door to get in, or making the sport a cash cow.

In my own opinion, if TV is the way the sport becomes more mainstream and generate more interest at grass roots, in the long term drag racing will be better off. Whether that be more members at Regional Tracks, more crowd figures, upgraded facilities or growth in companies investing. But TV is the only way to promote it to the wider audience.

As for the work going on behind the scenes. You need to step back and look at what they've been doing previously. Nothing... Now they are. They have people in place actively working every week on trying to attract new sponsors into the category.

FYI, I'm not an ANDRA fan. Its obviously not a brilliantly run organisation. Having said that, they're trying to please 100+ teams, not 15-20 like a majority of other categories. So they are NEVER going to win. I liked the Shane Gore proposal when it came out a couple years ago because it did give Group 1 the opportunity to go to a whole new level. But there was only a select few that wanted change at the time which was unfortunate.
Old 7 Feb 2009, 00:08 (Ref:2390080)   #83
jimmycourier
Racer

apologies if this is getting off topic.
Old 7 Feb 2009, 10:11 (Ref:2390332)   #84
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Received today:

Quote:
Re: OPEN LETTER FROM BRETT STEVENS
To whom it may concern,
I am writing this letter to explain to you the situation that has arisen this past week. I understand that numerous national news channels and publications around Australia have led the public to believe that I was caught with on my property, or in my possession, a large quantity of drugs, drug manufacturing apparatus, and huge amounts of cash, amongst other illegal items.

This is totally and utterly false and a great deception that is once again an attempt to destroy my character or what is left of it.

As proof to verify that these implications are completely false, I have included with this letter the property receipts from the police themselves, of what was actually removed from my properties in which there is nothing illegal in regards to any of it.

Note:
1/ There was absolutely no drugs or evidence of drugs found or removed from any of my properties as was portrayed to the public by the media and police.

2/ There was absolutely no drug manufacturing equipment, pill presses or anything else that relates to the manufacture of illicit drugs found or removed from any of my properties.

3/ There were no large amounts of money found or removed from any of my properties.

The only money taken was approximately ten thousand dollars which was from my daughters Skye’s money box, the cash floats from our merchandise trolleys, merchandise that my wife Kath had sold on e-bay, one days banking from our business and some money that Kath and her family had put aside for her brothers head stone on his grave.

I don’t mind admitting that financially it is has been a tough time of late, but if I was this person that is being portrayed, would I be in the financial difficulty that I am in now? I wish I had the millions of dollars in cash they said I had and then I would pay off all my creditors.

I don’t want you to feel sorry for me, but what I do want is for you to think about the person that you know and have dealt with for the past number of years and please don’t judge me on the unjust ‘trial-by-media’ that I have received. I don’t know how, but I need to get the truth out there as to what really happened, and I would appreciate any help in regards to this.

In closing, this is going to be a very tough time for my family and I hope that none of you will think badly of them and will give them the support they deserve. Please spare a thought for Kath and Skye as they are the most important things in my life. Thanks for your time.

Regards,
Brett Stevens
Old 7 Feb 2009, 11:55 (Ref:2390399)   #85
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was about to post that! I'll still wait for the trial for a concrete answer tho. Anyone can whip up a statement!
Old 7 Feb 2009, 13:08 (Ref:2390428)   #86
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver 3
You obviously were not in Melbourne to read recent headlines of some 70 y.o. recalcerint doing 170K on the public highway-- he supposedly held competition licence( anybody ever heard of him?) and as the headlines ,talkback radio and current affairs shows called for his "exection" asap and for what? Exceeding the speed limit-- just imagine if he needed "medication" to achieve the bravery he was showing on the public highway!!

Unfortunately I was in Melbourne at the time,

And CAMS response was?

You may have unwittingly made my point!
Old 8 Feb 2009, 03:34 (Ref:2390722)   #87
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY
Was about to post that! I'll still wait for the trial for a concrete answer tho. Anyone can whip up a statement!
Stealth...don't mention concrete and drugs in the same sentance...it might give certain people ideas
Old 8 Feb 2009, 05:54 (Ref:2390742)   #88
bazil
Veteran

bazil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
So DRAG LTD have introduced 5-6 new sponsors into ANDRA in the last two years. Companies that haven't been involved with ANDRA previously. Thats my argument.
Perhaps the fact most of these so called sponsors were already involved with certain teams has escaped your notice? And all of them together would not total anywhere near the 500k from one series sponsor they were offered...

Quote:
In my own opinion, if TV is the way the sport becomes more mainstream and generate more interest at grass roots, in the long term drag racing will be better off. Whether that be more members at Regional Tracks, more crowd figures, upgraded facilities or growth in companies investing. But TV is the only way to promote it to the wider audience.
Thank you, that’s a great point. So why did the brains trust of the sport knock back a 5 year free to air "REAL' TV package instead of the SBS quality crap they now have with millions of DRDF $$$

Quote:
But there was only a select few that wanted change at the time which was unfortunate.
Almost 80 Group 1 competitors signed. Select few...?
Old 8 Feb 2009, 19:24 (Ref:2391215)   #89
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sorry, guys, deleted a post which contains material that I really don't think should be in the public eye.
Old 8 Feb 2009, 20:29 (Ref:2391259)   #90
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
Sorry, guys, deleted a post which contains material that I really don't think should be in the public eye.
I think you'll find he had every intention of posting that info without his details blanked out, to prove his innocence!
Old 8 Feb 2009, 20:37 (Ref:2391268)   #91
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Possibly, but there's lines we shouldn't cross.
Old 9 Feb 2009, 04:38 (Ref:2391442)   #92
paydirt
Racer

paydirt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, you've really got to feel sorry for Brett Stevens.

The same thing happens to me, all the time!
Like, just the other day, right?...I was cruisin' down the main drag in me Doorslammer & these Cops bust me, right? So I tells 'em to "go get knicked", right? Next thing, they got me on all these trumped-up drug charges, right? So I tells 'em... "It's not mine/ I wasn't there/ It belongs to someone else".

Which excuse are you using, Mr Stevens?.....Hmmm?
Old 9 Feb 2009, 05:49 (Ref:2391458)   #93
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
He attached it to his letter that was posted earlier!

Don't see any lines being crossed! Fair enough if a 3rd party got hold of the documents, but he obviously did it to prove WHAT was actually taken, to show there was nothing related to the drugs.
Old 9 Feb 2009, 08:52 (Ref:2391508)   #94
DJJ
Racer

DJJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That is a weak excuse, one of the admins posted a quoted letter obviously to try and sort some sense but did not include the full content of the letter.

What point is quoting a letter without the full content? Pointless as it refers to attached items but hey, where are they? Trying to put a full picture forward without them is a like trapping a sheep at the cliffs edge and giving it 2 choices with a farmer approaching.

PS: Stop being so heavy handed on the big buttons.
Old 9 Feb 2009, 14:02 (Ref:2391728)   #95
Rombles1
Veteran

Australia
Facebook
Rombles1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw the post before it was deleted.... and couldn't read 3/4 of it - cops must go to the same handwriting school as doctors. What I could tell was that there was information that did not need to be out there - phone numbers, addresses etc

Trust that if Mr Stevens is putting the info out there in an effort to clear his name - or at least prove that there was nothing overtly drug-related in what was taken from his property - then the documents will prove that. Whether they are posted all over the internet or not will not affect the case, the facts, or any trial, nor will it allow us, the 10/10ths jury, to determine his guilt or innocence.

If Wooley believes that it should be deleted, live with it, or become a moderator yourself and un-delete it.
Old 10 Feb 2009, 04:53 (Ref:2392117)   #96
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Anyone who thinks he put them on the net to clear his name in regards to police and courts is a moron.

He put them out there to clear his name so to speak, in regards to the media spin on what is essentially an exaggerated story on a slow news day!
Old 10 Feb 2009, 07:01 (Ref:2392138)   #97
DJJ
Racer

DJJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rombles1
I saw the post before it was deleted.... and couldn't read 3/4 of it - cops must go to the same handwriting school as doctors. What I could tell was that there was information that did not need to be out there - phone numbers, addresses etc

Trust that if Mr Stevens is putting the info out there in an effort to clear his name - or at least prove that there was nothing overtly drug-related in what was taken from his property - then the documents will prove that. Whether they are posted all over the internet or not will not affect the case, the facts, or any trial, nor will it allow us, the 10/10ths jury, to determine his guilt or innocence.

If Wooley believes that it should be deleted, live with it, or become a moderator yourself and un-delete it.
It was about the whole media beat up, he put it out what was what.

The point that an admin posted half of the story to set things straight, try to calm down people and to sort the 10/10ths jury without posting the full article that was released to discredit the the media stories.

It was released to the world, not a trial just setting the record as current straight. Does not mean he is guilty or not.
Old 10 Feb 2009, 10:07 (Ref:2392225)   #98
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's amazing how you can 'prove' innocence or guilt with careful wording...

"No drugs or large amounts of money were removed from my house"
or
"The Police raided houses and found drugs and large amounts of money, one of the houses raid was mine"

Both statements could be 100% truthful....
Old 10 Feb 2009, 14:01 (Ref:2392361)   #99
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Guys, tread carefully here. This whole case is going to be sub-judacy (sp?) and so we need to be aware of what we're saying or what accusations are being implied. Similarly, we need to be careful of what information is placed in the public domain. The trial shouldn't happen in public, and that includes both prosecution and defence.
Old 11 Feb 2009, 02:50 (Ref:2394268)   #100
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The members of the ten-tenths forum are simply giving their opinions and nothing more, and should be taken as just that.