Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 30 May 2012, 11:04 (Ref:3081785)   #26
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If you e mail me some pics and a brief description of the cars and the register's intentions, I could try to set up a google+ page with contact details; from there we can plug it across the google network. Worth a punt?

I could use your name for an e mail address registration then send all the details, including password, to you for use. You can change the password to anything you like so the one I give you will no longer work. You share the password with Peter and there you go a joint gmail account.
Old 31 Aug 2012, 10:32 (Ref:3127818)   #27
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Still trying to get to grips with Peter's technology which I'm sure will get us to a wider audience, and also currently short of pics. In the meantime, we have taken another step to making this reality as the FISCAR committee have now approved in principle a race series for these cars and I'm now looking for expressions of real intent. To recap, we are looking to provide some races for the small sports racers from the 1950s, split as follows

1) up to 1100cc
2) 1101-1500cc (but excluding 1500 Coventry Climax cars).

Peter Morley and I have actually identified over 60 potential cars without so far locating any (except 1) original Lotus 11s.
Old 31 Aug 2012, 11:55 (Ref:3127843)   #28
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post

Peter Morley and I have actually identified over 60 potential cars without so far locating any (except 1) original Lotus 11s.

I have an original Lotus Eleven, but like most others it is powered by a FWB 1460 cc engine. The fact that the Eleven is allowed to run a FWB according to FIA Appendix K means that it is the weapon of choice for most people. It can also run a 1490 FPF twin cam, but these cost a lot of money compared to the FWB.

I think that it is right to exclude these as very, very few FWBs were produced in period and the cars racing in the '50s (including Elevens) were using the FWA 1100 cc engines. As Peter's earlier post mentioned, the FWA and the XPAG engined cars were very comparable on performance in period, with the Climax engine having the advantage of being significantly lighter. This would have been the main reason why Colin Chapman switched from using the XPAG in competition to the Climax as he was always one for "added lightness". Accordingly the classes you propose make eminent sense.

Hopefully this initiative will allow cars that are normally outclassed by FWB engined opposition (e.g. Elvas that cannot use them) to have some good racing. It might even encourage those with FWBs to go back to a more period spec. (Cooper Bobtails etc.).

Have you had any/much reaction from the MG guys that are running XPAG specials (such as Lester, LECO etc), they ought to love the opportunity.
Old 1 Sep 2012, 11:20 (Ref:3128190)   #29
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Brian, we are in promising discussions with the XPAG boys, as a group.

We've so far not included Bobtails in our list for several reasons, and have stuck to front engined cars.

This could be a lovely and (hopefully) substantial grid. Readers, please note Brian's list - Lotus Mk IX. Time to sort it and commit, sir! Now where's Mr Begbie, who started all this?

Seriously, Peter Mallett has rightly pointed out that not everyone reads 10-Tenths so if you know of anyone with a suitable car, please point them in mine or Peter Morley's direction. Time is now of the essence if we want to see any grids for these cars next year.
Old 1 Sep 2012, 12:10 (Ref:3128201)   #30
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Quote:
....we are in promising discussions with the XPAG boys, as a group.

Lotus Mk IX. Time to sort it and commit, sir!

The Mk IX is well under way and will be ready for testing before the winter sets in.

It is now back on the correct SUs which has been much more complicated than expected. The roll hoop has been refitted and a set of "in date" harnesses are now in. I have even managed to fit dipping pop-up headlights in place of the incorrect spot light it had on arrival.

It will be going for a MOT shortly although from November this year, of course, this won't be necessary anymore.

Haven't yet got it on a set of scales yet, but it should be lighter than the Elite to compensate for the lower power of the FWA compared to a FWE.

I'll post some pictures when it emerges from the garage.

So consider committed.

Good news about the XPAG crowd - nice bunch of people.
Old 2 Sep 2012, 09:34 (Ref:3128836)   #31
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Excellent on all fronts, Brian.
Old 4 Sep 2012, 09:37 (Ref:3130447)   #32
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Well here she is.

All ready in road going, 2 seater configuration and off to the MOT station shortly. The single seater layout has a metal tonneau over the passenger side and a wrap round windscreen. The lights will come off for racing - more weight saving.

The engine sounds sweet and the noise level is now down to a reasonable level with the addition of a couple of Cherrybombs to the previously open exhaust.

Testing at either Brands or Mallory will be next up. Must get a new set of tyres but this can probably wait until the start of next season, I can snaffle the wheels/tyres from the Elite as they are the same size. Also need to change all the fluids as I don't think that the car's been used since 2008!

Attached Thumbnails
Sept 2012 012.jpg   Sept 2012 013.jpg   Sept 2012 014.jpg  

Old 5 Sep 2012, 08:57 (Ref:3131124)   #33
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Superb, Brian.
Old 16 Dec 2012, 09:32 (Ref:3179122)   #34
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Just to say that this is still an active ongoing project. We have a very sound database of cars and I'm still exploring the possibility of 2 or 3 races in the 2013 as a toe in the water exercise for a bigger season in 2014. Finding grid slots is extremely difficult in this climate particularly when this, as with any new class, has no proven track record. However, there are one or two possibilities. In the meantime, if you, or anyone you know, has a car suitable, please either post here or contact me by PM.
Old 17 Dec 2012, 09:02 (Ref:3179386)   #35
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Well I approve, very nice indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian A View Post
Well here she is.

All ready in road going, 2 seater configuration and off to the MOT station shortly. The single seater layout has a metal tonneau over the passenger side and a wrap round windscreen. The lights will come off for racing - more weight saving.

The engine sounds sweet and the noise level is now down to a reasonable level with the addition of a couple of Cherrybombs to the previously open exhaust.

Testing at either Brands or Mallory will be next up. Must get a new set of tyres but this can probably wait until the start of next season, I can snaffle the wheels/tyres from the Elite as they are the same size. Also need to change all the fluids as I don't think that the car's been used since 2008!

Old 17 Dec 2012, 15:14 (Ref:3179474)   #36
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMorley View Post
So much for nostalgia, historics has almost become a contemporary race series but with cars that claim to be old.
Such an extremely polite prose to describe those cars that are so original, if only in the eyes of the current owners, modified for safety and reliability only and nothing whatsoever to do with out classing ones opponents.
Old 17 Dec 2012, 15:19 (Ref:3179476)   #37
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
One doesn't necessarily even need a car to outclass an opponenet
Old 17 Dec 2012, 18:54 (Ref:3179535)   #38
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
To update my earlier post - I indeed went testing at Brands in November. We were blessed with superb weather, almost spring like.

Only problem encountered was a serious fuel leak on number one carb which was easy to solve. The car ran well and although we were not allowed timing as it was a test day, it seems to be on a par with the Elite.

A nice part of the day was the opportunity to reunite the original owner with the car. Tony Page turned up on the day and was full of interesting stories about the car and particularly the racing scene in the 1950s. He co-drove the car with Paul Emery (Emeryson) in the Goodwood 9 hours in 1955 and they were the highest placed Lotus to finish. He is looking forward to its first competitive outing and has promised to be there.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6370.jpg  
Old 7 Jun 2013, 12:03 (Ref:3258920)   #39
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
OK, so we (FISCAR FLIERS) now have our first race at the Castle Combe Autumn Classic.

Effectively, as discused, for small 1950s sports racing cars with either

1) 1100 cc racing engines

or

2) 1500 cc production based engines

Vital we get a good turnout for this first race as it will dictate how we proceed for next year.

Anyone interested in a set of regs, please contact me by PM.

FLIERS sub committee is Peter Morley, Rod Begbie, Brian Arculus and myself.

Last edited by John Turner; 7 Jun 2013 at 12:09.
Old 7 Jun 2013, 20:02 (Ref:3259086)   #40
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"co-drove the car with Paul Emery (Emeryson) in the Goodwood 9 hours in 1955 and they were the highest placed Lotus to finish. He is looking forward to its first competitive outing and has promised to be there."

I remember the event well, particularly after having a short chat with my hero Mike Hawthorn when the race had finished, and then had to cycle back to North London.
Old 8 Jun 2013, 19:34 (Ref:3259452)   #41
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
"co-drove the car with Paul Emery (Emeryson) in the Goodwood 9 hours in 1955 and they were the highest placed Lotus to finish. He is looking forward to its first competitive outing and has promised to be there."

I remember the event well, particularly after having a short chat with my hero Mike Hawthorn when the race had finished, and then had to cycle back to North London.

I'm out in the Mk IX next Sunday at the MGLive meeting on the GP circuit at Silverstone. Tony Page is making the trip to see his old car in action.

The Elite will also be there in the Ecurie GTS races on both Saturday and Sunday.

Normally a very good meeting and notwithstanding comments on the other thread, the parking plan for the paddock looks quite well organised. Now if only the drivers would follow the plan..........
Old 9 Jun 2013, 10:24 (Ref:3259670)   #42
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian A View Post
I'm out in the Mk IX next Sunday at the MGLive meeting on the GP circuit at Silverstone. Tony Page is making the trip to see his old car in action.

The Elite will also be there in the Ecurie GTS races on both Saturday and Sunday.

Normally a very good meeting and notwithstanding comments on the other thread, the parking plan for the paddock looks quite well organised. Now if only the drivers would follow the plan..........
I shall look you up Brian.
Old 19 Jun 2013, 05:26 (Ref:3264686)   #43
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
I'm going to abuse my position by sticking this thread up! It is really important to ensure that we get the interest in this going with entries for the Castle Combe Autumn Classic race if we are to progress this to a series for next year.

I'll start to post some pics of the types of cars we are catering for, as there is nothing like a visual reference.

We could also go into a 'where are they now' discussion to identify cars around that are eligible but haven't been seen for a while.
Old 19 Jun 2013, 06:38 (Ref:3264699)   #44
bauble
Veteran

England
John,
Keith Ahlers now owns the original Lola from 1958, and may well be interested in your series.

I saw the car make it's debut at Crystal Palace, lovely motor.
Old 19 Jun 2013, 08:57 (Ref:3264727)   #45
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
John,
Keith Ahlers now owns the original Lola from 1958, and may well be interested in your series.
When I saw it on Monday it was in many bits, so maybe not immediately.....

Old 19 Jun 2013, 09:01 (Ref:3264729)   #46
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
When I saw it on Monday it was in many bits, so maybe not immediately.....

Trust you to cheer things up
Old 19 Jun 2013, 09:45 (Ref:3264751)   #47
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
OK, so we are talking about the Lola Mk1 fitted with 1098 Coventry Climax engine - open or closed?

Keith's a Morgan man isn't he? Anyone care to PM he his email address?
Old 19 Jun 2013, 12:11 (Ref:3264814)   #48
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
OK, so we are talking about the Lola Mk1 fitted with 1098 Coventry Climax engine - open or closed?

Keith's a Morgan man isn't he? Anyone care to PM he his email address?
The (open and unpainted) Mk1 prototype campaigned by Chris and Ollie Phillips with MRL during last few seasons.

PM on the way.

Old 19 Jun 2013, 15:47 (Ref:3264935)   #49
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Mike thanks for info and PM.
Old 19 Jun 2013, 16:31 (Ref:3264964)   #50
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
The (open and unpainted) Mk1 prototype campaigned by Chris and Ollie Phillips with MRL during last few seasons.

PM on the way.

Keith likes buying cars of Chris because they are always in excellent nick.